ADVERTISEMENT

Commit!

what happened to our recent run up of 4 stars competing against primetime programs?
Seems like the program peaked out in recruiting after march madness but prior to last year's meltdown.

Maybe this kid is ascending but i doubt he was our first offers.

"Can really make shots" is something this roster badly needs. We haven't had enoigh guys who could do it consistently except for the tournament year, when Lindsey and Mac were both reliable and Taphorn hit 50% from 3. Don't think it's a coincidence.

I work from home Fridays. I live in Evanston.

It is 80 degrees today. Not a cloud in the sky. Perfect weather.

There's not a recruit in America that can't be sold on NU on a day like today.

Congrats Daniel and family.You made a great decision.
The young man is from Maine. A Chicago winter ain't gonna phase him.

Reactions: drewjin
Wow. The most dickish post of the year.

All Collins recruits are kids who blew up after their junior year but were lower exposure guys. Even Nance and Kopp were not national recruits until after their a Junior years and Nance was never a national recruit because he did not play big time AAU. That’s the trend with recruiting and it continues this year. Buie had a really strong last AAU tourney and a crazy performance in the last game. His offers from Sienna and UMass - programs with better histories than NU - shows he’s the type of guy we can expect to get. Had NU not offered my bet is he would have not signed this fall and waited until the spring. But the bottom line is watch his tape from the spring and summer and it’s consistent with Collins players. Collins is still fighting to improve the overall athleticism of his team and he fits that bill. If he can defend and shoot that’s enough. If he can get into the lane off the dribble than it’s a big get for NU. NU is a developmental program right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Medill90
Wow. The most dickish post of the year.

The young man's other offers consisted of UMass, St. Bonaventure, Boston U, Vermont and North Carolina A & T and isn't ranked nationally. Do those statements of fact offend you? It's perfectly reasonable to state that while you hope he's a "sleeper," this isn't the sort of recruit fans were anticipating by this point. The simple truth is that most recruits who have offer lists like that stay at that level rather than moving up to major conference level.

You can't put a lot of stock in highlight film, but I liked some things I saw in the highlights. He appears to have a nice handle (with both hands) and dribble routine. He doesn't appear to be an above-the-rim player.

The young man's other offers consisted of UMass, St. Bonaventure, Boston U, Vermont and North Carolina A & T and isn't ranked nationally. Do those statements of fact offend you? It's perfectly reasonable to state that while you hope he's a "sleeper," this isn't the sort of recruit fans were anticipating by this point. The simple truth is that most recruits who have offer lists like that stay at that level rather than moving up to major conference level.

You can't put a lot of stock in highlight film, but I liked some things I saw in the highlights. He appears to have a nice handle (with both hands) and dribble routine. He doesn't appear to be an above-the-rim player.

You neglected to mention his offers from Pitt, Penn State, Dayton and Rice.

... The simple truth is that most recruits who have offer lists like that stay at that level rather than moving up to major conference level ...

Yes, let's ignore that he was offered San Diego St, Dayton and Pitt. That SDSU has really been a shit program, right, WestCoastWildcat?

In your scientific study of players with offer lists like this, do you also have an analysis of top 75 -150 players and their impact on programs? Would you like the long list of guys who did nothing?

But let's jump to conclusions on the day the kid commits.

So, in a "welcome to NU thread" we should focus on making an argument that the recruit isn't really that good?

Yeah, it's pretty offensive.

If you can lazily dig out his middling offers then you can also dig out that a few national recruiting analysts who said the kid is a completely different player than one year ago, and that he's a bit of bad ass and doesn't back down on the court from anyone. (He's also one inch taller and twenty pounds heavier than his profile).

I have no idea from watching his tape how the kid will play at NU. I just find it unfathomable (but not especially surprising) that NU fans would cast shade on a kid within the same fxxxing thread meant to celebrate what is a big milestone for him and his family.

No class.

All Collins recruits are kids who blew up after their junior year but were lower exposure guys. Even Nance and Kopp were not national recruits until after their a Junior years and Nance was never a national recruit because he did not play big time AAU. That’s the trend with recruiting and it continues this year. Buie had a really strong last AAU tourney and a crazy performance in the last game. His offers from Sienna and UMass - programs with better histories than NU - shows he’s the type of guy we can expect to get. Had NU not offered my bet is he would have not signed this fall and waited until the spring. But the bottom line is watch his tape from the spring and summer and it’s consistent with Collins players. Collins is still fighting to improve the overall athleticism of his team and he fits that bill. If he can defend and shoot that’s enough. If he can get into the lane off the dribble than it’s a big get for NU. NU is a developmental program right now.

Agree completely.

What I'd add is that Collins suspects that he has a couple studs in his freshman class and he's ok getting complementary players this class with one or two senior transfers. That's not a step back recruiting-wise.

If the current team can make the NIT or NCAA, and the new Welsh Ryan shines, he could be on track to land a few difference makers in the '20 class.

Reactions: Max_Power
It’s a good start to the class and hopefully Jones comes aboard. This year it’s crucial to make a tournament with the NCAA being the prize. If so then Christie and a few other of the 2020 studs may come aboard and we will be stacked and perhaps move into the Purdue, MSU stratosphere.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
So, in a "welcome to NU thread" we should focus on making an argument that the recruit isn't really that good?

Yeah, it's pretty offensive.

If you can lazily dig out his middling offers then you can also dig out that a few national recruiting analysts who said the kid is a completely different player than one year ago, and that he's a bit of bad ass and doesn't back down on the court from anyone. (He's also one inch taller and twenty pounds heavier than his profile).

I have no idea from watching his tape how the kid will play at NU. I just find it unfathomable (but not especially surprising) that NU fans would cast shade on a kid within the same fxxxing thread meant to celebrate what is a big milestone for him and his family.

No class.
No Kidding

Collins has had mixed reviews in his recruiting hits and misses but what coach has not. I reviewed some of his tape and buie has a lot of upside. Collins will develop him and with two true lead guards in back to back classes this will put less pressure for buie to have manage the point

Reactions: scru
Collins has had mixed reviews in his recruiting hits and misses but what coach has not. I reviewed some of his tape and buie has a lot of upside. Collins will develop him and with two true lead guards in back to back classes this will put less pressure for buie to have manage the point

That’s another question. Developing players. He took an unheralding MAC and made a pretty good player. Lindsey had a good year. Neither consistently improved notably year over year. As I think, I don’t think we have an overperformer compared to expectations except MAYBE Mac.

Plenty underperformers or no improvement, I will save you the list. I complain about Cushing and Springer for failing to develop players, among other things, and I think you raise a valid discussion inadvertally. Has CCC demonstrated any evidence to develop a recruit beyond expectations to date? We know the are a few examples that go the other direction.

That’s another question. Developing players. He took an unheralding MAC and made a pretty good player. Lindsey had a good year. Neither consistently improved notably year over year. As I think, I don’t think we have an overperformer compared to expectations except MAYBE Mac.

Plenty underperformers or no improvement, I will save you the list. I complain about Cushing and Springer for failing to develop players, among other things, and I think you raise a valid discussion inadvertally. Has CCC demonstrated any evidence to develop a recruit beyond expectations to date? We know the are a few examples that go the other direction.

Pardon was not too highly rated, now is one of the better bigs we've had.

Also Sanjay, though not his recruit, developed nicely under him.

I think we have had a little better success with our front court but they on average were higher rated then the backcourt

Pardon was not too highly rated, now is one of the better bigs we've had.

Also Sanjay, though not his recruit, developed nicely under him.

No, no, no. No way can credit CCC for Sanjay. Nope. No,

Not his recruit but olah improved a lot. Pardon has developed and added something every year. Bmac was an awful defender freshman year and improved there. Law has improved upon his game. Skelly added a new thing to is game each year as well. There's been improvments. Why can't he get credit for Lumpkin?

Not his recruit but olah improved a lot. Pardon has developed and added something every year. Bmac was an awful defender freshman year and improved there. Law has improved upon his game. Skelly added a new thing to is game each year as well. There's been improvments. Why can't he get credit for Lumpkin?

Not ready to disagree but can throw down some stats to back up your contentions. And for Law, he was a 4 star and the expectations around this board were Jesus like. Check his preenrollment archives

Not ready to disagree but can throw down some stats to back up your contentions. And for Law, he was a 4 star and the expectations around this board were Jesus like. Check his preenrollment archives
What stats are you looking for? All you have to do is really look at tape and see the changes in their game. Defense is not really measured in stats. Just because you block a lot of shots doesn't make you a great defender. Same with steals you could be a poor defender but just play passing lanes well.

Specifics to look for in tape if you feel inclined.

Pardon- frosh to sophomore look at defense then sophomore to junior look at his post up game.

Skelly- I'm blanking on specifics up until senior year where he added a 3. (That man continually became a better role player though and if you want I'll watch tape and find specifics)

Bmac- although he never became a plus defender he did improve at that

Olah- the man's attidue and confidence went up under Collins. (Olah wasn't really meant for NU's style but he a serviceable center who played the pick a roll very smartly with Bmac)

Although I will say Collins and staff seem to be better so far at developing big men than anything else. (Not just saying that cuz of pardon but olah as well. Also Benson from the little we've seen him does seem to be improving as well)

You sure? That is a pretty high bar.
You're right, this is the most dickish post of the year:
Be_Funky-collage.jpg

What stats are you looking for? All you have to do is really look at tape and see the changes in their game. Defense is not really measured in stats. Just because you block a lot of shots doesn't make you a great defender. Same with steals you could be a poor defender but just play passing lanes well.

Pardon- frosh to sophomore look at defense then sophomore to junior look at his post up game.

Skelly- I'm blanking on specifics up until senior year where he added a 3. (That man continually became a better role player though and if you want I'll watch tape and find specifics)

Olah- the man's attidue and confidence went up under Collins. (Olah wasn't really meant for NU's style but he a serviceable center who played the pick a roll very smartly with Bmac)

Although I will say Collins and staff seem to be better so far at developing big men than anything else. (Not just saying that cuz of pardon but olah as well. Also Benson from the little we've seen him does seem to be improving as well)
Think James is considered a big man guru.

I actually think bmac regressed. Olajuwon was injured almost the whole last year, thus pardon. I will give you Skelly.

So, I’m still thinking development might be an issue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT