ADVERTISEMENT

Commit!

I actually think bmac regressed. Olajuwon was injured almost the whole last year, thus pardon. I will give you Skelly.

So, I’m still thinking development might be an issue.

There's a difference between regressing and plateauing.

BMac came in pretty old for a frosh...he got better for a couple years and then was at his ceiling. Though, I'd argue that his defense got better each and every year.

Holland and Willy are correct that James is very good w bigs and they've gotten better while at NU. Big piece of that is footwork and another is knowing where they are supposed to be all of the time.

The wings have gotten better at NU under Collins but that's pretty typical.

I'd like to see the guards improve more noticeably.

Reactions: ThatkidfromHolland
Might want to not post when you're tired. Olah played 3 years under CCC and played 26 games his senior season....

Ok. Then I got concede that one to though James is touted as a big man whisper. Still, that’s how many? Compared to how many busts, stalls or regressions?

"I'm not sure I agree 100% with your police work there, Lou."

-- Margie Gunderson

So I’m told. Just working from memory and on iPad. No research here. Happy to admit I’m wrong. I’ll assume so, too tired to verify. And still worrying about trees, not forest. Doesn’t really change the question: is there an issue developing the talent we bring in?

So I’m told. Just working from memory and on iPad. No research here. Happy to admit I’m wrong. I’ll assume so, too tired to verify. And still worrying about trees, not forest. Doesn’t really change the question: is there an issue developing the talent we bring in?

Are you currently a student and just started following the team? It's not the sort of thing even a moderate follower of NU basketball would screw up.

Are you currently a student and just started following the team? It's not the sort of thing even a moderate follower of NU basketball would screw up.
Seriously? Do you avoid the football board?

I have worked a long weekend at the quarry. Lots and lots of students, physical work, two weeks post op from knee scope, just damn tired. But you are evading the bigger question. I concede on Olah. My bad. So, what about coaching developments, regressions, stalls over the whole term? Skelly, Olah (with big man guru James involved). That’s it.

Bmac as a senior doesn’t support the notion. Lindsey. Falzon. The various guys gone. Speak to me about development. Persuade me. I’m still open minded in this.

the problem with you argument is compared to all other programs similar to NU in position and prestige, what is the player development track

you simply are not going to make three stars into top players or all conference EVERY time. the numbers just don't add up. this is similar for all team in our league

the problem with you argument is compared to all other programs similar to NU in position and prestige, what is the player development track

you simply are not going to make three stars into top players or all conference EVERY time. the numbers just don't add up. this is similar for all team in our league

Not my intent. I feel CCC has had enough time to be evaluated. Roster made of his recruits, has graduated a class, it is a fair time to take a critical look at his game coaching, recruiting, player development, program advances, accomplishments and mistakes.

I liked the hire but it shouldn’t some with a decade contract. I hate PFs deal. And I think each of these evaluations are worth discussion followed about a discussion of the sum of the whole.

For the moment, I just want to examine player development. Is he developing more guys to be better than when they arrive? Within, are they notable developments? Are many players regressing?

I thought Lindsey arrived w great potential but only flashed it for a season. I thought Mac came in and exceeded expectations (coach or talent?), but took steps backwards. On this board, some blamed the Curry camps. I can see the argument that Olah and Pardon developed. Falzon, RI, Brown - no.

I think we have the beginning of a fair sample size to start to discuss. And then use the season to further the conversation.

Law came in with great expectations and they have not been realized. Absent a big leap this year, I would say he was never developed into a significant B1G player.

I think it’s important because the ranks are full of storied coaches turning rough diamonds into gems regularly. NU has some challenges for recruiting, so player development should be an important factor in grading our coach.

You neglected to mention his offers from Pitt, Penn State, Dayton and Rice.

Interest only from these schools, no reported offers. Some people have a different understanding of where NU is at as a program. That's ok. But who offered or who recruited Buie is irrelevant. He wants to be Wildcat!

I think it’s important because the ranks are full of storied coaches turning rough diamonds into gems regularly. NU has some challenges for recruiting, so player development should be an important factor in grading our coach.
Is this really the case? You're taking a deep dive into the NU roster with only one class fully complete. Is there really any other coach that NU could have gotten that would look a whole lot better?

Is this really the case? You're taking a deep dive into the NU roster with only one class fully complete. Is there really any other coach that NU could have gotten that would look a whole lot better?

Why would you limit to NU past coaches? I think just about every coach that jumped from lower echelon of schools into the Power 5, or top Power 5, demonstrated this ability. Drew from Valpo, the guy from Butler. Heck, didn't the former WI coach take unheralded recruits and compete?

And when is it fair to start examining a coach's results? After first few recruiting classes? After first season with all his own players? Never, if he got us to the dance for the first time ever? BC had 13 years and most think it was too many. Most started thinking it was too many well before he was let go. If you disregard his first five, six,seven years using the logic from above - then he really has only about 6-7 years to be judged by. Doesn't mean he should not have been dismissed, but probably means it wasn't too early. I disagree. I was among those that became convinced it was time a couple years before it happened.

So we can disagree, but I think CCC's book has begun and excuses have evaporated. I think he is on the record for team performance.

Regardless, even before we worry about how the team performs or who he can have enough time to build a relationship with and recruit, he is on the clock for the players he brought in. CCC was here for 100% of the time the players I am discussing (except Olah - and I give him the credit, deserving or not). I cannot understand how he could not be responsible for whether his recruits developed under his watch.

Why would you limit to NU past coaches? I think just about every coach that jumped from lower echelon of schools into the Power 5, or top Power 5, demonstrated this ability. Drew from Valpo, the guy from Butler. Heck, didn't the former WI coach take unheralded recruits and compete?

And when is it fair to start examining a coach's results? After first few recruiting classes? After first season with all his own players? Never, if he got us to the dance for the first time ever? BC had 13 years and most think it was too many. Most started thinking it was too many well before he was let go. If you disregard his first five, six,seven years using the logic from above - then he really has only about 6-7 years to be judged by. Doesn't mean he should not have been dismissed, but probably means it wasn't too early. I disagree. I was among those that became convinced it was time a couple years before it happened.

So we can disagree, but I think CCC's book has begun and excuses have evaporated. I think he is on the record for team performance.

Regardless, even before we worry about how the team performs or who he can have enough time to build a relationship with and recruit, he is on the clock for the players he brought in. CCC was here for 100% of the time the players I am discussing (except Olah - and I give him the credit, deserving or not). I cannot understand how he could not be responsible for whether his recruits developed under his watch.
I don't think he is staying you can't judge Collins but that you can't judge the development quite yet given only one class has fully developed under collins

I don't think he is staying you can't judge Collins but that you can't judge the development quite yet given only one class has fully developed under collins

And I fully disagree. I can understand the argument that you cannot judge the team results or the recruiting success for a variety of excuses. But player develop of guys he recruited and coached from the beginning - can anyone explain why we would not judge that? Wasn't he 'coaching' them or just supervising? When does the coaching 'officially' begin?

Oh, Lord, Bob. I can't decide what's more screwy about the long parade of disappointment you try to cobble together as the foundation of your argument.

If you're silly enough to be married to 10% of the board (at best!!) who talk of greatness (your word, not mine) and base your discussion on the scouting brilliance of the knowledgeable NU fanbase, I can't help you.

But you really need to understand better where the talent level is here and what it's true potential is.

Law was the top-rated recruit until Nance, right? This is the second time in a week you've referenced that Law should be "great." Oh, excuse me: the board said it. You just keep repeating it.

Here's the ESPN top 100 in Law's class. Law is part of the 60-100 group. Why don't you show me all the "great" players in this group of 40?

Yes, there's Issac Haas, Mikal Bridges and Vince Edwards. I'll even throw in Phil Booth and Cody Martin to expand the group. Are we going to call all these guys "great?" I wouldn't at all.

So, let's lower the bar. Let's pretend a great player is someone in this class who EITHER scores double-digits for two seasons or even simply stays at their school for four years. How about you show me the long line of players in 60-100 of that class that achieved EITHER of these simple milestones of "greatness." Is it half?

Law EASILY fits into the top third of this group of 40 PLAYERS. Good luck finding "great." And, to be practical, good luck finding it with NU's grade standards.

I think you'll find similar percentages in the top 60-100 of most classes.

Regarding another of your disappointments, when exactly did you think Scottie Lindsey had "great potential." When his leg was broken in high school? Maybe it was his 4.4 points/game in his freshman year? Oh no ... it must have been his 5.7 p/g as a sophomore.

On a VERY good day, Lindsey was a great player. Then, we saw the mediocre-to-good player who Lindsey was for the next three-to-five games. Is that Collins' fault? How did Collins stifle Lindsey? He certainly had the green light.

For now, this is where NU lives. They've taken a step but last year showed this is still a development program as most are outside the top 30. On a very good day, they are recruiting in the questionable areas of the top 60-100. On the other days, top 100+.

At that address, you're going to have Pardons, Laws and BMacs. You're also going to have Brown, Falzon and Skelly. And you're ridiculous if you think you're going to avoid injuries similar to Rapolas.

Collins has his problems. They've been discussed. And they're discussed at least as much as the opinions of greatness you like to pretend are conventional wisdom out here.

If you and others think a majority of their recruits should be top-100, well, you might want to re-examine your expectations while you continue to put the coaching staff under your poorly-focused microscope. There's a reason you're repeatedly disappointed in la-la land. Well, except for that one season that is so conveniently swept away.

Oh Bobby. Olajuwon was one of the 10 ten centers of all-time and he was nowhere near Evanston last year. Hakeem was almost in Haas’ class, right?

Collins first class was recruited in the few months after he got the job. That means that he was scrambling to fill out his roster and he did not have years recruiting his type of players and had to do a great sales job to get the class that he did.

He got the job in April and Law committed in July. Lindsey was coming off a broken leg. McIntosh was a Indiana state champion but still not a big recruit. He was going to Indiana State if NU did not offer, if my memory is correct. Skelly was not recruited by any other Power Conference school and developed into a solid bench player. Law has been a very solid two way player who is a double digit scorer and a defensive stopper. There are no more than a handful of returning players with his offensive and defensive skills and now experience. That is why he guards the top opponent’s playmakers in crunch time.

Pardon has developed very well under Collins, Law has improved his game and McIntosh was a 4 year starter who goes down as NU’s career assist leader and puts him as one NU’s best all-time PGs. So that means he did develop. Skelly developed into a solid bench player who was asked to play too many minutes with Falzon’s not being 100 percent healthy. Gaines seemed to improve as the season went on. Did anyone else see his improvement from the first game of the season?

I guess you were watching a different team than over the past 4-5 seasons.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Oh, Lord, Bob. I can't decide what's more screwy about the long parade of disappointment you try to cobble together as the foundation of your argument.

If you're silly enough to be married to 10% of the board (at best!!) who talk of greatness (your word, not mine) and base your discussion on the scouting brilliance of the knowledgeable NU fanbase, I can't help you.

But you really need to understand better where the talent level is here and what it's true potential is.

Law was the top-rated recruit until Nance, right? This is the second time in a week you've referenced that Law should be "great." Oh, excuse me: the board said it. You just keep repeating it.

Here's the ESPN top 100 in Law's class. Law is part of the 60-100 group. Why don't you show me all the "great" players in this group of 40?

Yes, there's Issac Haas, Mikal Bridges and Vince Edwards. I'll even throw in Phil Booth and Cody Martin to expand the group. Are we going to call all these guys "great?" I wouldn't at all.

So, let's lower the bar. Let's pretend a great player is someone in this class who EITHER scores double-digits for two seasons or even simply stays at their school for four years. How about you show me the long line of players in 60-100 of that class that achieved EITHER of these simple milestones of "greatness." Is it half?

Law EASILY fits into the top third of this group of 40 PLAYERS. Good luck finding "great." And, to be practical, good luck finding it with NU's grade standards.

Regarding another of your disappointments, when exactly did you think Scottie Lindsey had "great potential." When his leg was broken in high school? Maybe it was his 4.4 points/game in his freshman year? Oh no ... it must have been his 5.7 p/g as a sophomore.

On a VERY good day, Lindsey was a great player. Then, we saw the mediocre-to-good player who Lindsey was for the next three-to-five games. Is that Collins' fault? How did Collins stifle Lindsey? He certainly had the green light.

For now, this is where NU lives. They've taken a step but last year showed this is still a development program as most are outside the top 30. On a very good day, they are recruiting in the questionable areas of the top 60-100. On the other days, top 100+.

At that address, you're going to have Pardons, Laws and BMacs. You're also going to have Brown, Falzon and Skelly. And you're ridiculous if you think you're going to avoid injuries similar to Rapolas.

Collins has his problems. They've been discussed. And they're discussed at least as much as the opinions of greatness you like to pretend are conventional wisdom out here.

If you and others think a majority of their recruits should be top-100, well, you might want to re-examine your expectations while you continue to put the coaching staff under your poorly-focused microscope. There's a reason you're repeatedly disappointed in la-la land. Well, except for that one season that is so conveniently swept away.

Excellent post. Deserving of more than just a “Like”

GOUNUII

Wow, a rational post backed by facts! Someone call FloridAlum quick!

1. I'm not limiting it to NU past coaches. Not sure what you're reading, but please try to read posts before you respond to them
2. Take a look at any new coach at any non-blue-blood program, examine his first 12 recruits, and see if he got the development you're looking for from more than 5 or 6 of them. Guys get hurt. Guys transfer.
3. Law, Mac, Lindsey, Pardon, Skelly all got better under Collins. so has Benson and Gaines seems on his way. Of the holdovers, Lumpkin and Olah both got better. Vasser, Brown and Ash did not develop as hoped and injuries slowed Falzon and derailed IR, but look at the bottom of any roster, B1G or otherwise, and you'll find guys who left, got hurt or just didn't pan out.

That's the nature of big-time basketball. That's why teams have 13 scholarships, but very few teams play a rotation of more than 8 or 9. It's not that your criticisms are wrong. It's just that they fail to take into account context.

So I’m told. Just working from memory and on iPad. No research here. Happy to admit I’m wrong. I’ll assume so, too tired to verify.

Your body of work suggests this mode of posting for you is the norm, and not the exception.

Your body of work suggests this mode of posting for you is the norm, and not the exception.

Happy to admit defiencies. Are you big enough to admit you offer nothing of substance and only appear to try to insult posters?

A really sound take.

deficiencies

Oh, and DaCat is a great poster.

Spell check. Blah. You must have smaller thumbs.

Once I have some desk time today, I plan to reread, do a little research and write a response to 112 focusing on b-ball and ignoring the typical personal shots.

Not my intent. I feel CCC has had enough time to be evaluated. Roster made of his recruits, has graduated a class, it is a fair time to take a critical look at his game coaching, recruiting, player development, program advances, accomplishments and mistakes.

I liked the hire but it shouldn’t some with a decade contract. I hate PFs deal. And I think each of these evaluations are worth discussion followed about a discussion of the sum of the whole.

For the moment, I just want to examine player development. Is he developing more guys to be better than when they arrive? Within, are they notable developments? Are many players regressing?

I thought Lindsey arrived w great potential but only flashed it for a season. I thought Mac came in and exceeded expectations (coach or talent?), but took steps backwards. On this board, some blamed the Curry camps. I can see the argument that Olah and Pardon developed. Falzon, RI, Brown - no.

I think we have the beginning of a fair sample size to start to discuss. And then use the season to further the conversation.

Law came in with great expectations and they have not been realized. Absent a big leap this year, I would say he was never developed into a significant B1G player.

OK. Here is the evaluation. BTC (better than Carmody). Recruiting up. (before landing a 3 star was cause for celebration) . Now it is expected Check. D, the team can actually play D, check, Rebounding, see D check. Big man development (see Olah and Pardon) checkGot us to Dance. Multiple checks for that one. Got us a new facility. Check (do you see it having happened this quickly if at all under BC or some other coach?

Does that mean he is perfect? Heck no. Still room for improvement? Absolutely. But for now, I will take it.

I think my point is misunderstood. I am not interested in Law vs the other recruits similarly ranked. My point of analysis is to examine whether our players are leaving the program four years later with significantly improved (more developed) basketball skills. I believe that school like NU, Valpo, Butler, WI, Gonzaga of old days, need several things to compete nationally: consistent player development, the ability the identify and secure overlooked or underestimated recruits and the ability to game plan and coach better than most of the coaches they face.

I think programs like Gonzaga were not the type of school to draw quality recruits until after they earned a reputation in the late 90’s, early 2000’s. UMass was able to build a reputation in the 80s. UConn is another example. Butler, Valpo and so on. In WI, they rose to national relevance in the mid 90s.

Each of these schools clawed into national relevance through coaching, IMHO. Bennett and Ryan at WI. Stevens at Butler. Calhoun at UConn. Calipari at UMass. Monson & Few at Gonzaga.

None were big name coaches before this ascent. None had any recruiting advantages. All took the recruits they could get, developed enough of them and then managed the games to become nationally relevant.

That is the high water mark for me. Unless I am missing something, there is no reason that NU cannot capture the same type of success. Bright, young coach that checks all the boxes. And there is no reason to believe CCC is not that guy – but it is fair to start to look. I would not like to see another 13 year experiment. BC took us up a notch, so has CCC and if he can go higher, I’m in. If not, I can appreciate his progress but would want to find a coach that can accomplish what many others have.

Do they grow on trees? Nope – just like 6’4” WRs that can run routes with speed. But NU has resources most of those schools referenced above can only dream about. NU is a world class institution, we seem to believe our AD is among the best – so it is his challenge to discover the next Calhoun, Bennett or Monson.

Now, let’s look at the players we have been discussing. I think all agree that Falzon, RI, Ash, Brown, Vassar did not develop, some arguably regressed. I will concede Olah though his points, blocks, rebounds, all dropped in his senior season. And Sanjay, he went up and down – I agree that he left NU a better player than when he began, but his stats go back and forth and arguably his yearly development.

Mac improved, but that improvement petered after the frosh-soph leap. Then, junior to senior, he regressed. Points, assists, steals, shooting percentage. And his three point percentage fell off after his sophomore year. CCC clearly identified a much overlooked recruit, but I wouldn’t say Bryan improved each year under CCC’s coaching.

I think we agree that Lindsey never really developed – he flashed. Without even looking, I would agree that Pardon has developed each year. Benson? It is really hard to say as there was such a small body of work. I won’t say no, but I won’t concede yes. Taphorn never really grew as a player – always the same one dimensional guy – but he got much stronger.

Gavin Skelly is a clear example of yearly development. He grew into a legit rotation guy for any competitive team.

Now, as for Vic Law, he was the most heralded recruit of all time and CCC’s first. He arrived with talent and potential – I do not have to remind those here that anointed him a savior. He clearly developed between his first playing season and second playing season, becoming a double digit scorer, increasing rebounds, steals, assists, shooting percentage. The next year, it is flat. I find this remarkable for the lack of development and because this player came in with so much “potential and raw skill” to develop. I don’t care what his ranking was or how those similarly ranked performed. My point is that his development stalled last year and he is supposed to be one of the cornerstones.

So, where does this leave us? Still too early to cast a permanent label – but there seems to be a bit more evidence that CCC is not developing talent. Do I think he should be fired? No. If he does not have a strength in developing talent, it can be solved by smartly surrounding himself by the right assistants. And we have yet to see how his team production will look after3-5 years with his own players. But, recruiting is clearly down (by CCC standards) and this begins the watch of whether player development will be a matter of concern.

I hope this submission passes Va’s spell check, DaCat’s concern about by energy level & sobriety and, most notably, lacks any personal attacks despite everything written above here.

Those of you that think this is garbage – I offer a suggestion: put me on ignore. Then every day, when you return, you will find this forum dead – except the occasional puff piece. You can then continue happily to whatever website follows this visit. I have said we all have our own unique reason to come here. I assure you that retaining your attention is not mine.

To the rest, can we now have a peaceful, intellectual discussion?

This was a good post. To answer the very last question/challenge, I think getting one top-100 player in every class is a reasonable goal. We have invested in facilities and coaching, and while we still have a losing history, the worst of the dark ages are before the living memory of any recruit today.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Let me continue to bang my head ...

So we can compare programs, but we can't compare players. Got it.

You want to compare to programs? Fine, let's do that.

As I said, you might want to consider your measuring sticks a little ridiculous, but if you want to compare NU to a program that has made the Sweet 16 in each of the last four year, let's do it. But don't forget that Dan Fitzgerald was coaching Gonzaga for ten years before his first tournament in '94-'95.

Barry Collier was coaching Butler for seven years before his first tournament in '96-'97.

Homer Drew was coaching Valpo for seven years before his first tournament in '94-'95.

Dick Bennett had been a coach D1 coach for five years before his first tournament at UW-Green Bay in '90-'91. That was 15 years after his first college head coaching job and five more years before he arrived in Madison.

See a trend here?

And these aren't even the guys who actually brought the programs to their heights. Each of these guys laid the foundation. In each case except Bennett, the program was in at least the Sweet 16 within four years after the first modern tournament bid.

Bennett was in a Final Four five years after he arrived at Wisconsin,

I see you've also continued to ramble on about the supposed Vic Law resume. What do we have here: highest recruit ... talent ... potential ... savior ... remarkable lack of development. These may be your "points of analysis," but you might want to consider the more you repeat them doesn't bring them any closer to factual.

Let me continue to bang my head ...

So we can compare programs, but we can't compare players. Got it.

You want to compare to programs? Fine, let's do that.

As I said, you might want to consider your measuring sticks a little ridiculous, but if you want to compare NU to a program that has made the Sweet 16 in each of the last four year, let's do it. But don't forget that Dan Fitzgerald was coaching Gonzaga for ten years before his first tournament in '94-'95.

Barry Collier was coaching Butler for seven years before his first tournament in '96-'97.

Homer Drew was coaching Valpo for seven years before his first tournament in '94-'95.

Dick Bennett had been a coach D1 coach for five years before his first tournament at UW-Green Bay in '90-'91. That was 15 years after his first college head coaching job and five more years before he arrived in Madison.

See a trend here?

And these aren't even the guys who actually brought the programs to their heights. Each of these guys laid the foundation. In each case except Bennett, the program was in at least the Sweet 16 within four years after the first modern tournament bid.

Bennett was in a Final Four five years after he arrived at Wisconsin,

I see you've also continued to ramble on about the supposed Vic Law resume. What do we have here: highest recruit ... talent ... potential ... savior ... remarkable lack of development. These may be your "points of analysis," but you might want to consider the more you repeat them doesn't bring them any closer to factual.

You can drop the personal shots anytime - they don't flatter you.

I will pick one program – because I don’t have time to research many more. Let’s examine Gonzaga. No reason for recruits to attend: plays in WAC conference, nobody knows where it is without Google and nobody heard of it in the early 90’s. Beautiful campus. No basketball tradition: didn’t win a conference title til 66, no dancing until 95.

Coach Fitzgerald (no prior HC experience, though second go around at Gonzaga) and assist coach Monson and Mark Few (surrounding himself by talented assistants) recruited unheralded players (like John Stockton – who no major school wanted and worked out ok).

And they began marching towards prominence by developing the players they found. They danced in 95, between NIT years and Fitzgerald retired. Followed by Monson and Few, the program continued down the path. Couple NITs and an NCAA appearance would not draw 5 star recruits to the northwest corner of nowhere, stuck in the cold near Idaho.

Monson got them back in the NIT then NCAA Elite 8 before bolting to MN. Still, that is not going to make any 4 star recruit drool about a few years with a new coach at some school that nobody could find without Google. Coach Few continued the work and has brought the program beyond national relevance to national prominence.

But let’s look at a few players during this time as they would not fall out of the NCAAs again. At some point, they became a destination but before then, these well-known ball players kept Gonzaga dancing deep into the tournament:

Matt Santangelo, Richie Frahm, Quentin Hall, Alex Drench, Casey Calvary, Zach Gourde, Mark Spink, Blake Stepp and so on. None of these guys appear on the Bulldogs Alltime Recruits – a list that drops to two star guys at the bottom.

What we have is a coaching tree that identified and developed some players. If you review their stats, you will find improvement each year. I also suspect these coaches were good game day coaches.

I don’t believe this is unique, I just don’t have the time to research further. I believe that there are plenty of examples of schools that are disadvantaged in terms of recruiting and have overcome the challenge to emerge into national relevance. If Gonzaga could do it, why not NU?

And that is why I want to begin to track and discuss player development.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT