ADVERTISEMENT

Consensus top-75 4-star PG to transfer as graduate from Marquette

FeliSilvestris

Oct 22, 2004
Planet Earth
Out of HS, Duane Wilson was a consensus top-75 (top 60 by several services) 4-star PG who chose Marquette. He was also rated a consensus top-12 PG.

He played a lot as a RS-FR and Soph, averaging almost 30 mins per game, and almost 12 PPG. For whatever reasons his minutes were cut almost in half this past season. He is now available as a graduate-to-be transfer.

If the coaching staff came to believe they urgently need an experienced PG to share time with Mac (and most importantly as an insurance in case of an injury) this could be it, assuming he wouldn't mind a back up role. Seems to be the highest-profile grad-transfer available (all positions considered).

Out of HS, Duane Wilson was a consensus top-75 (top 60 by several services) 4-star PG who chose Marquette. He was also rated a consensus top-12 PG.

He played a lot as a RS-FR and Soph, averaging almost 30 mins per game, and almost 12 PPG. For whatever reasons his minutes were cut almost in half this past season. He is now available as a graduate-to-be transfer.

If the coaching staff came to believe they urgently need an experienced PG to share time with Mac (and most importantly as an insurance in case of an injury) this could be it, assuming he wouldn't mind a back up role. Seems to be the highest-profile grad-transfer available (all positions considered).

We already have a pretty damn good point guard.

READ before posting, will you!!!
"If the coaching staff came to believe they urgently need an experienced PG to share time with Mac (and most importantly as an insurance in case of an injury)...".
You missed it, right?
I understand...easy to miss in a post that has as many as THREE short paragraphs.

I read it. Do you seriously think a guy would transfer somewhere he would play 10 minutes a game tops?

You're a joke, man.

Reactions: NJCat

I get it Feli,
It is interesting information. We have been doing some interesting things with grad transfers and transfers lately in both BB and FB.
It is a long shot and a stretch but always fun to speculate.

LOL. Grad transfer chooses NU in the event the 4-yr starter gets injured.

Two things...

* After four years, maybe he's a four star, maybe he ain't. Just saying;
* Coach Collins and Wojo are pretty close. This thread is just chatter.

Reactions: Sec.112
* After four years, maybe he's a four star, maybe he ain't. Just saying;
* Coach Collins and Wojo are pretty close. This thread is just chatter.
Of course, star-ratings are recruiting ratings out of HS. Players keep their rating for the rest of their lives. But of course you have to consider what they've done in college and beyond. That's obvious.
Don't know the point of the reference to Coach Wojo. Best I can tell, DW has already been released and is going to play his final season elsewhere as a graduate. CCC wouldn't be doing anything objectionable by offering him a spot in his team, *IF* he were to believe that it makes sense to do so. That shouldn't affect his relationship with the previous coach in any way.

Of course, star-ratings are recruiting ratings out of HS. Players keep their rating for the rest of their lives. But of course you have to consider what they've done in college and beyond. That's obvious.
Don't know the point of the reference to Coach Wojo. Best I can tell, DW has already been released and is going to play his final season elsewhere as a graduate. CCC wouldn't be doing anything objectionable by offering him a spot in his team, *IF* he were to believe that it makes sense to do so. That shouldn't affect his relationship with the previous coach in any way.

"I'm going to use my final year of eligibility to back up a returning fourth-year starter who's averaged over 33 minutes per game in each of his first three seasons and never missed a game for injury on the off chance that he gets injured"... said no grad transfer in the history of grad transfers.

Pretty sure the Wojo mention is more that Collins could pretty easily pick up the phone and get the "real dirt" on the kid if he so chose.

"I'm going to use my final year of eligibility to back up a returning fourth-year starter who's averaged over 33 minutes
Well, if you are a mind-reader, good for you. Most of us aren't. I suppose DW will look at the whole situation, not just the hard to predict playing time. He may be attracted to experiencing the B1G, in a year in which NU seems to have a good chance of being a contender, and possibly win the crown. Mac and Duane could possibly play at the same time, depending on match-ups and game situation. Having a second guard on the floor who is good enough of a ball-handler to be a PG in a major conference, and a decent shooter, could be excellent under certain scenarios. Mac also has off nights when he isn't a major threat offensively (everyone does) and DW may be a good defender, possibly better than Mac, which may favor having him on the court instead.

Anyway, there are all sort of scenarios out there. If DW just wants to play a lot, and be 'the man' he may need to transfer to a lesser conference, where he may be able to dominate (that may or may not be what he's looking for).

Of course it'd make sense for CCC to talk to Coach Wojo before offering DW. But it is uncalled for and unfair of you to insinuate that there is 'dirt' to be uncovered. DW isn't perfect (no one is) and probably has strengths and weaknesses. Nothing wrong with CCC inquiring about him with a coach he knows well.

Last edited:
Well, if you are a mind-reader, good for you. Most of us aren't. I suppose DW will look at the whole situation, not just the hard to predict playing time. He may be attracted to experiencing the B1G, in a year in which NU seems to have a good chance of being a contender, and possibly win the crown. Mac and Duane could possibly play at the same time, depending on match-ups and game situation. Having a second guard on the floor who is good enough of a ball-handler to be a PG in a major conference, and a decent shooter, could be excellent under certain scenarios. Mac also has off nights when he isn't a major threat offensively (everyone does) and DW may be a good defender, possibly better than Mac, which may favor having him on the court instead.

Anyway, there are all sort of scenarios out there. If DW just wants to play a lot, and be 'the man' he may need to transfer to a lesser conference, where he may be able to dominate (that may or may not be what he's looking for).

Of course it'd make sense for CCC to talk to Coach Wojo before offering DW. But it is uncalled for and unfair of you to insinuate that there is 'dirt' to be uncovered. DW isn't perfect (no one is) and probably has strengths and weaknesses. Nothing wrong with CCC inquiring about him with a coach he knows well.

Yeah, there are all sorts of scenarios. Such as Death Rays from Mars hitting the planet and exploding it tomorrow. That's about how likely the scenario of DW considering NU is likely to be at this point in time.

That's about how likely the scenario of DW considering NU is likely to be at this point in time.

That's just wild speculation. First, it depends on who else may offer a spot to him, which we don't know (and will depend on the choices made by some of the remaining HSchoolers and recent decommits).
It is also entirely possible that CC may not even have a schoolie to offer him, even if he wanted to (he only has 2 left as of today, AFAIK).
It may also happen that for CC to offer him and for him to accept just happens to be the best that both sides could do under the circumstances (even if neither was the other's ideal choice). We'll know soon.

That's just wild speculation. First, it depends on who else may offer a spot to him, which we don't know (and will depend on the choices made by some of the remaining HSchoolers and recent decommits).
It is also entirely possible that CC may not even have a schoolie to offer him, even if he wanted to (he only has 2 left as of today, AFAIK).
It may also happen that for CC to offer him and for him to accept just happens to be the best that both sides could do under the circumstances (even if neither was the other's ideal choice). We'll know soon.

No, it's not wild speculation. It's simple common sense.

You wanna bet that he does not come to NU? I'll give 1 million to 1 odds.

...so you're saying there's a chance....

It is so much better when you post a gif, imo.

I'll do you a solid.

Ingje4P.jpg

Reactions: DkeCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT