ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING Conversation with LB commit and weekend visitor Justin Cryer

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
I reached out to LB Justin Cryer today to get his thoughts about his weekend visit to NU for the Wisconsin game, and NU's season. I'm trying to get a hold of another one or two for a story about the commits' reaction. If not, I'll just write it about Cryer.

Anyway, here are his raw answers from our DM conversation. I caught him while he was in the car, driving to Waco with his parents for his brother's birthday. Give it a read. It will lift your spirits.

On the atmosphere at Ryan Field:
Its definitely different then being down south that's for sure, but the homecoming environment made it feel a lot more alive. The best thing I saw was how well the student section filled up, I know the school only has about 9k students so to see the support from classmates as well as other sports is special. I'm excited i get a chance to play at least 1 year there. [That line gave me a double-take until I realized he meant in the current Ryan Field.]

On Fitz's and McGarigle's message to him:
Yea I talked to both of them. They said before the game how it was gonna be a physical battle and they were right. And that's how its going to be every game in the Big 10 West. Every coach I talked to basically told me the same thing, how a team like Wisconsin plays into my strengths and that I can make an impact vs those physical teams

On NU's disappointing season:
Yea none of the commits envisioned the season going like this so far. But my stance hasn’t changed, I wanted to be a wildcat because everyone on that coaching staff believes I can come in and become a special player, and I wanted to play for a head coach who was a 2 time All - American at my position and a linebacker coach who lead the nation in tackles and has pro experience at my position. I see things black and white as far as football goes. What's done is done, we cant change how yesterday or the last couple of games have went, coach Fitz said we just gotta keep improving and get better day by day and that's what i believe they are going to do.

On his cousin Ashton Porter's visit to MSU:
I don't think its a big deal but I haven't talked with him about it yet.

On what he can bring to NU's defense:
The big 10 as a whole is just a physical conference and there's evidence of that due to how many injuries there was from both sides. But being physical is right up my ally and I believe i can come in and get physical and get after the ball.

On hearing from other schools:
I hear from some schools pretty frequently, but I'm a Wildcat through and through and I don't plan on changing that.
I was talking with qb commit Aidan Gray and we both were in the same page. We both know what we are getting ourselves into and we also know that our class is gonna come in with energy and ready to win whatever it takes.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News