ADVERTISEMENT

Cool story from Brian Musso

ChappyCat

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2015
Michigan
Hey Cat fans... a little nostalgia going back 1996. The following story came from a conversation with 'Cat great, Brian Musso. As many of you know, his dad, Johnny (the Italian Stallion), was an All-American for Bear Bryant at Bama and later backed up the great Walter Payton in Chicago. But Brian has painted a more vivid memory for us than good ole dad likely did.

During the 1996 game against Michigan at Dyche Stadium, trailing by 2 on 4th down and 9 at the Michigan 46, Musso made a HUGE clutch catch against the Wolverines in a bullet delivered by one of the BEST Wildcat QBs (stats aside), Steve Schnur. Immediately upon making that haul, Gary Danielson commented that in clutch situations, "you go to players, not plays".

So I asked Musso, what made you the player to go to in the clutch (on that play)?

Muss laughed and said, "I'm not sure if the coaches want me telling you this story, but before that play, we were coming out of a timeout. The referees blew the whistle to start play and we were looking to QB coach Craig Johnson to send a play for the huddle. Nothing. We said, 'coach, we need a play!'. Coach Johnson kind of [exasperatingly] put his hands up as he was trying to get something from coach Meyer up in the box. So Steve Schnur sort of waves him off and pulls me and (D'Wayne) Bates in and says to run a comeback; 'just get open, I'll hit you'.

So they ran the play and Musso found the sticks and upon his turn, Schnur put the ball right on #22 in front of two Michigan defenders for a game-extending first down (at which Musso stretched his right arm forward at the elbow, in the traditional "first down" animation we are so accustomed to seeing).

Shortly after, Gowins hit the game-winning field, not once but TWICE, after whistles blew the first one dead. NU knocks off Michigan AGAIN, this time when Michigan KNEW what was coming, 17-16. Two in a row over the Maize and Blue in Cardiac Cats fashion was oh so sweet.

More to come in the book, ChampioN Underdog. Go 'Cats!

Last edited:
Hey Cat fans... a little nostalgia going back 1996. The following story came from a conversation with 'Cat great, Brian Musso. As many of you know, his dad, Johnny (the Italian Stallion), was an All-American for Bear Bryant at Bama and later backed up the great Walter Payton in Chicago. But Brian has painted a more vivid memory for us than good ole dad likely did.

During the 1996 game against Michigan at Dyche Stadium, trailing by 2 on 4th down and 9 at the Michigan 46, Musso made a HUGE clutch catch against the Wolverines in a bullet delivered by one of the BEST Wildcat QBs (stats aside), Steve Schnur. Immediately upon making that haul, Gary Danielson commented that in clutch situations, "you go to players, not plays".

So I asked Musso, what made you the player to go to in the clutch (on that play)?

Muss laughed and said, "I'm not sure if the coaches want me telling you this story, but before that play, we were coming out of a timeout. The referees blew the whistle to start play and we were looking to QB coach Craig Johnson to send a play for the huddle. Nothing. We said, 'coach, we need a play!'. Coach Johnson kind of [exasperatingly] put his hands up as he was trying to get something from coach Meyer up in the box. So Steve Schnur sort of waves him off and pulls me and (D'Wayne) Bates in and says to run a comeback; 'just get open, I'll hit you'.

So they ran the play and Musso found the sticks and upon his turn, Schnur put the ball right on #22 in front of two Michigan defenders for a game-extending first down (at which Musso stretched his right arm forward at the elbow, in the traditional "first down" animation we are so accustomed to seeing).

Shortly after, Gowins hit the game-winning field, not once but TWICE, after whistles blew the first one dead. NU knocks off Michigan AGAIN, this time when Michigan KNEW what was coming, 17-16. Two in a row over the Maize and Blue in Cardiac Cats fashion was oh so sweet.

I was at that game sitting in the end zone with my sister-in-law. I don’t remember Musso’s catch but I do remember the 2 Gowins field goal attempts that he made both times. I was also at the 2000 instant classic that we won 54-51over UM. The improbable strip fumble of Anthony “A-Train” Thomas with only 47 sec left leading to Zak Kustok slant pass to Sam Simmons winning td and beautiful 2 pt conversion- all memorable stuff. Watch it again and enjoy.

I was at that game sitting in the end zone with my sister-in-law. I don’t remember Musso’s catch but I do remember the 2 Gowins field goal attempts that he made both times. I was also at the 2000 instant classic that we won 54-51over UM. The improbable strip fumble of Anthony “A-Train” Thomas with only 47 sec left leading to Zak Kustok slant pass to Sam Simmons winning td and beautiful 2 pt conversion- all memorable stuff. Watch it again and enjoy.

The ‘96 Michigan win and 2000 Michigan win are two of the best games I have ever been to. And as “Cardiac Cats” fans, we know there are plenty of classic games with great finishes to chooss from. These are two of the best though. No doubt about it. The 2000 game is always my go to “best game I’ve ever been to” when strictly talking about the excitement of the actual game itself. 1/1/96 Rose Bowl is best event though.

Great story, ChappyCat.

The ‘96 Michigan win and 2000 Michigan win are two of the best games I have ever been to. And as “Cardiac Cats” fans, we know there are plenty of classic games with great finishes to chooss from. These are two of the best though. No doubt about it. The 2000 game is always my go to “best game I’ve ever been to” when strictly talking about the excitement of the actual game itself. 1/1/96 Rose Bowl is best event though.

Great story, ChappyCat.

Agreed regarding the 54-51game being right there at the top. It was pretty cool getting to watch it there in Evanston with one of my NU attending sons. Earlier I had actually migrated over to the student section to share the excitement with him, and after the last play he headed down to the field with the wave of students. I ended up with the whole student section for myself.

When I got back to Alaska I learned that my NU attending son's younger brother's high school football coach was there at the game when he raved about the experience as the best college football game he had ever attended. (As a side note the Alaska coach also liked the Wildcat Roar that was heard from the PA System and got me to get an audio of it for him from the Northwestern Athletic Department so he could use it for his team that also had a feline mascot, The Lynx.)

I like to run on the field to join the Cats' fans after a big victory. After this one, though, I just couldn't. I didn't have any energy left.

My son-in-law is an attorney who works under Sean Wieber. When I met him the first thing I asked him was, "Which hand?"
He said, "You're shaking it."

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE!

Love the story. More! More!

Though I would not rank it the best game I've seen or been to (though it's close on both counts), the Michigan game in 1996 is definitely the one in which I left the stadium feeling happiest. I lived in South Evanston at the time and walked all the way home with a huge smile on my face.

Great memories.

I recall Musso catching punts for NU - rarely fair caught anything.

Great memories.

I recall Musso catching punts for NU - rarely fair caught anything.

That was what he was best known for, and what he enjoyed the most. It was funny how humble the guy is- he never really credits himself for being "fast" or "quick" or "athletic"; but you watch tapes and he just seems like everyone else (in his mind) is moving so much slower than him, allowing him to make the right moves.

Look at the Iowa Punt Return in '95, where he juked Tim Dwight (he claims Dwight slipped because he was "TOO fast") and took it to the house. It just seemed very effortless on his part. I think its an instinct very few guys have and that's what made him one of the nation's best in '95.

As for (not) fair catching, he loved the challenge to field the punt and do something with it and the mental edge it gave him over his opponents who assumed he would fair catch. He knew the punt return game (which Barnett placed a very high emphasis on) was a crucial part of a team's physical field position and their psyche was well- it could be a BIG shot in the arm.

There was a story where he said one game the cover guys were in his face, slowed up, he caught it and got some yardage. Upon getting up out of the pile, the opposing cover men said "you're NUTS!". "Moose" smiled it off and left them with quite an impression.

Left us all with one too. One of my favorite Wildcats for sure.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
The 54-51 game was the last one I ever attended with my dad. He had taken me to my first one (that I remember) 50 years earlier (a win over Pitt). Afterwards, we said to each other "this one makes up for a lot of heartbreak down through all those years". These memories are what makes this site so meaningful to me. Thanks for your contributions.

I like to run on the field to join the Cats' fans after a big victory. After this one, though, I just couldn't. I didn't have any energy left.

My son-in-law is an attorney who works under Sean Wieber. When I met him the first thing I asked him was, "Which hand?"
He said, "You're shaking it."

I work for that firm, too. For that game, I also worked as a product promoter for a marketing company inside the stadium which allowed me and my co-worker to go to my season-ticket seats without having the tickets torn. When Sean started working with us, I game him the rare, un-torn tickets. Great guy. Great play. Great game.

Brian Musso's talented Northwestern alum wife was featured on one of the 2017 Homecoming panels and she sang for us as well. In her remarks she shared some insights with regard to Brian's playing days that would add to this conversation. I know the event was being video taped so perhaps one could locate her remarks through the alumni office or maybe even get a link to post here.

The classic Michigan 54-51 memory is attending with a friend of mine, not an NU Alum, who left the game with a minute and a half to go, thinking the game was over.

He went to leave the stadium, and just as he was heading out he hears the crowd roaring, and runs back in to see the Cats have the ball and score the winning touchdown...

Like the ND win, when the QB trips at the end of the game, there is sometimes no explaining the crazy stuff that which turns a game around.

I too was sitting in the south end zone. We had a pretty good crowd, but there was no shortage of yellow and blue. In the third quarter, my buddy, a Notre Dame grad (the only I allow to speak around me), said "the bloom is off the rose, my friend." I told him that only Notre Dame quits in the third quarter when down by two scores. The demeanor of the UM fans sure changed late in the game.

The 96' Michigan game was my first home game involving a capacity crowd, a 10-1 ratio of Cat fans to visitor fans and the anticipation of attending a huge game, against a dominant program with the belief we could win. And when I stood up on our first drive to cheer I got this nudge in my back. Before I could turn around, I heard the female voice .... " I've had these seats since 1947, now sit down ... I can't see!."

Only at Northwestern.

BTW ... I think the play you speak of is the one where Schnur got flushed from the pocket, bought some time and then threw a rope to Musso. Musso did much more than a simple "come back" route. The type Michigan was sitting on given the down and distance. He tied a guy named Charles Woodson into a pretzel for the separation he needed to make the play.

GOUNUII

Reactions: Gladeskat
What I remember about the 2000 game is that after we scored with like 19 seconds left and got the 2 PT conversion, that Michican moved the ball all the way to our 40 and actually had a field goal attempt to tie!!

The 96' Michigan game was my first home game involving a capacity crowd, a 10-1 ratio of Cat fans to visitor fans and the anticipation of attending a huge game, against a dominant program with the belief we could win. And when I stood up on our first drive to cheer I got this nudge in my back. Before I could turn around, I heard the female voice .... " I've had these seats since 1947, now sit down ... I can't see!."

Only at Northwestern.

BTW ... I think the play you speak of is the one where Schnur got flushed from the pocket, bought some time and then threw a rope to Musso. Musso did much more than a simple "come back" route. The type Michigan was sitting on given the down and distance. He tied a guy named Charles Woodson into a pretzel for the separation he needed to make the play.

GOUNUII

GOUNUII, with all do respect, that play you referenced WAS a heck of a scramble-throw-route-catch between Schnur and Musso, but if you watch the film I attached at the top, the 4th and 9 play was the one that I talked about- if you listen to the audio, that's when Danielson made that spot-on comment.

But great point though about Muss' incredible route mechanics and the persistence of Schnur to extend the play and hit his target in a place where it would get the first.

Love talking about this stuff.

What I remember about the 2000 game is that after we scored with like 19 seconds left and got the 2 PT conversion, that Michican moved the ball all the way to our 40 and actually had a field goal attempt to tie!!

I’m sure I’m not the only one who expected the kicker to throw a game winning TD pass once that final snap ended up in his hands.

Michigan's holder was John Navarre, who originally committed to Northwestern but changed his mind when Barnett left. It worked out for us, though. Navarre de-committing opened a scholarship for a QB transfer from ND named Zak Kustok.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who expected the kicker to throw a game winning TD pass once that final snap ended up in his hands.

Definitely a significant footnote to that game which had the added irony of that field goal attempt getting botched because of the actions of a Michigan player, John Navarre, who was originally headed to Northwestern.

Absolutely- the kid had no qualms about doing what it took to get the yardage; to make the play; to win for the Cats. Glad he made his way NORTH from South Bend. I agree, one of my favorite 'Cats as well.

In other words, he headed in a Northwestern direction.

Reactions: ChappyCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT