ADVERTISEMENT

Corey Wootton retiring

shakes3858

Aug 28, 2009
He posted this on Facebook:

I am officially retiring from the NFL. I want to thank the Chicago Bears organization for drafting me and allowing my NFL career to become a reality. I'm thankful for my time with the Vikings and Lions organizations. I have been extremely blessed to play in the NFL for 6 years. I was able to live out my childhood dream. Throughout my time in the NFL I was fortunate to work with some great coaches and players. My main focus in life now is putting my family first, and spending as much time as I can with them. My most important goal is to be the best husband and father I can be. I am extremely excited for my next chapter in life. I want to thank my family, friends, my agent, and the fans for always supporting me throughout my career. Looking forward to what's in store next. Much love -Corey Wootton

I still remember the heartbreak I felt for him when he crumbled on the turf against Missouri. Really glad that he was able to have a pro career, come out seemingly unscathed, and hope to see his tallness at a future NU game(s)

I still remember the heartbreak I felt for him when he crumbled on the turf against Missouri. Really glad that he was able to have a pro career, come out seemingly unscathed, and hope to see his tallness at a future NU game(s)
Probably not unscathed, hence retirement.

Probably not unscathed, hence retirement.
I'm hoping he's smart enough to take the several million dollars he's made in the first 6 years and start a "normal career" before his body breaks down. Last year, he had an 825,000 dollar contract. Yes, that's a lot of money, but may not be enough to put your body through the stress when you've got a good head on your shoulders too. I also don't think he was ever going to get a 10+ million contract.

As for him being unscathed, I don't think his knee was ever close to 100% after the Alamo which is why I don't think he was ever going to make the 10+ million contract.

I'm hoping he's smart enough to take the several million dollars he's made in the first 6 years and start a "normal career" before his body breaks down. Last year, he had an 825,000 dollar contract. Yes, that's a lot of money, but may not be enough to put your body through the stress when you've got a good head on your shoulders too. I also don't think he was ever going to get a 10+ million contract.

As for him being unscathed, I don't think his knee was ever close to 100% after the Alamo which is why I don't think he was ever going to make the 10+ million contract.

$825,000 sounds like a ton of money but I bet it is an expensive lifestyle with managers and agents taking a cut. Hopefully he has put away a couple of million but that will only last about 20 years after inflation and a comfortable lifestyle takes it's toll.

$825,000 sounds like a ton of money but I bet it is an expensive lifestyle with managers and agents taking a cut. Hopefully he has put away a couple of million but that will only last about 20 years after inflation and a comfortable lifestyle takes it's toll.
Let's say he's got 2 million stored up. Tough, but not unlikely. He did make 1.5 million with the Vikings in a 1 year deal + .825 with the Vikings + his rookie deal. If he can make 5% on that he'll be taking in 100,000 + whatever he makes in a "normal job." I'd take 100,000 on top of what I'm making and live pretty damn comfortably. If you're not going to be an NFL star making millions and millions, I think that's the goal: get a nest egg, and get out while you still have your health.

Now if he has the million dollar home, 5 cars, and plans not to work, then he'll see the money gone in a few years. One quarter, our lifting times matched up on Wednesdays. I believe he was redshirting or a freshman at the time. Anyway, it was clear he had a good head on his shoulders. I think he's gonna be A OK.

Last edited:
I'm assuming he's also vested in the NFL pension plan. Don't know when he can start collecting on that.

Don't forget taxes. He probably took home about 60-65% of the headline numbers net of taxes and 50-55% net of taxes and agents.

Unfortunately, the IRS doesn't care that your insanely high annual NFL income will be very short-lived.

I could live comfortably for a lifetime on a lot less than $825,000 and still post on the Rock the entire time.

Let's say he's got 2 million stored up. Tough, but not unlikely. He did make 1.5 million with the Vikings in a 1 year deal + .825 with the Vikings + his rookie deal. If he can make 5% on that he'll be taking in 100,000 + whatever he makes in a "normal job." I'd take 100,000 on top of what I'm making and live pretty damn comfortably. If you're not going to be an NFL star making millions and millions, I think that's the goal: get a nest egg, and get out while you still have your health.

Now if he has the million dollar home, 5 cars, and plans not to work, then he'll see the money gone in a few years. One quarter, our lifting times matched up on Wednesdays. I believe he was redshirting or a freshman at the time. Anyway, it was clear he had a good head on his shoulders. I think he's gonna be A OK.

Agreed. Corey was definitely one of the "good ones" and shouldn't have too much trouble navigating post-NFL life.

His knee injury is still a near-tragedy. He was well on his way to being a high draft pick and the knee injury just took away a lot of his explosiveness. Football turned out just fine for him, but could have been even more.

Don't forget taxes. He probably took home about 60-65% of the headline numbers net of taxes and 50-55% net of taxes and agents.

Unfortunately, the IRS doesn't care that your insanely high annual NFL income will be very short-lived.

Though it must be nice blowing through the FICA tax cap only after a few paychecks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT