ADVERTISEMENT

"Crossover" games for Champions Week? (not exactly)

BosCat

Nov 29, 2008
Minny / Wisky & MSU / Mary highlight the alleged crossover week.
Guess they really wanted Oaken Bucket

Last edited:
I hate this! Looks like our championship game is just one among all the games- nothing special. Not even highlighted !

Reactions: DaCat
No one is giving us a chance against dOSU, which is understandable. If we win, that would be one of the biggest upsets ever.

Reactions: Rebel_
Nebraska @ Rutgers is a hilarious matchup. What will Frost blame this week? It was TV timeouts yesterday. Maybe Rutgers’ history will distract them from greatness.

Reactions: 76-1 and NUCat320
I wonder how many of these games actually get played... over/under at 4 games played, perhaps?

No one is giving us a chance against dOSU, which is understandable. If we win, that would be one of the biggest upsets ever.
We're still a top 15 team. I wouldn't consider it one of the biggest upsets ever.

I think our defense is better than the 2018 version, which had major vulnerabilities in the secondary. I'll be very surprised if they throw for 499 yards against us again. Our defense should give us a fighting chance this game.

We're still a top 15 team. I wouldn't consider it one of the biggest upsets ever.

I think our defense is better than the 2018 version, which had major vulnerabilities in the secondary. I'll be very surprised if they throw for 499 yards against us again. Our defense should give us a fighting chance this game.
There WR’s and QB are out of this world good.

It’s a real disappointment, especially for the second place teams. IU-IA would have been an excellent game.

Have to agree that would have been an exciting game to watch but on the other hand it is probably for the best in terms of our upcoming CFP ranking as it may minimize the likelihood of the winner getting a ratings boost relative to Northwestern should we lose our game against a quality opponent.

Of course there remains a chance they could both lose their games. Admittedly both getting wins doesn’t help our cause but at least those wins will be less impressive for The Committee due to being against unrankeds.

Last edited:

Both of our starting CBs got hurt in the 2018 game. That ended any chance of Doc dialing up anything interesting on D, and the OSU QB picked apart our secondary. Things should be different this year.

If we dint get Saunders and Kent back our D will suffer greatly.

We may be ranked but I don't think anyone out there outside the NU fan base really think we are legit. We didn't help matters by shittnig the bed against MSU. There's a lot of talk that Io_a is better than us, for God's sake. Never mind that we beat them in their own house, overcoming our own mistakes that spotted them a 17-0 lead. Geezus. So yeah, if we beat dOSU, I think it would shock the football world.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Can't be mad at CFB universe for being indifferent to Saturday's championship game. If you look at any conventional wisdom - from our common opponents (Neb and Sparty) to our very questionable offense, to our last 50 games vs. OSU, to our consistent ability to sh*t the bed anytime a national audience is interested in a game that we're playing in...all signs point to an Ohio State victory. But it's like I always say...I'm glad we actually go to the trouble of playing the games and not relying solely on what everyone thinks will happen.

Also glad the Old Oaken Bucket game is being preserved. To me it is the single most underrated true rivalry in the Big Ten.

Exactly. The NU secondary is good, but if the Cats don't get a rush on Fields he'll pick them apart. OSU receivers are too explosive to cover forever.
It's not even the pressure on the QB (though that would be nice) as much as having big guys in the middle of the d-line to plug gaps and stop the run. Illinois' run game gashed the NU d-line in the first half on Saturday. That was concerning.

I wonder how many of these games actually get played... over/under at 4 games played, perhaps?

With reports that three games have been cancelled, I feel that my setting the over/under at 4 was pretty darn prescient.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT