ADVERTISEMENT

Cushing countdown

catcrazy

Gold Member
Aug 5, 2001
after a 10 sack debacle, how much longer does Fitzgerald give this clearly incompetent coach?

The pass protection was awful and so was the inability to open any holes for the rushing game. The offensive line is about as bad as it has been in the past 20 plus years. You do not beat upper tier Big 10 teams with our offensive line acting like revolving doors and getting pushed backwards on multiplied third and one situations. Barnett and Walker recruited much higher level offensive linemen. We need better linemen! Also, the fact that our top 3-4 cornerbacks are injured has been another issue.

after a 10 sack debacle, how much longer does Fitzgerald give this clearly incompetent coach?

lol

The OL will probably marginally improve throughout the season, NU will sneak into a bowl game (maybe even win it), Fitz will be satisfied and Cushing will keep his job.

imo NU would have to miss a bowl entirely and the sacks would have to mount and JJ would have to have a very mediocre season. And then only maybe would a change be made.

Reactions: 2388bb and Fitz51
It’s what happens when there is no urgency. Fitz knows he effectively has a lifetime contract. He does what he wants to do , not what he needs to do. This program is almost comical in how stale and insular it is. It’s nit just bad football it’s boring foutbalk

Reactions: 2388bb
The BTN crew, especially DiNardo, saw this back on the road trip during preseason camp. They noted then that the problem for this team would be the OL and possibly the DL, but primarily the OL. And, here we are, just as predicted. Sometimes things really are just that simple. CT can't be himself in the face of unrelenting pressure. Our running game can't get going when there are no holes or no push on 3rd & 1.

In the spring, the staff and team seemed to put the accountability on the OL players. They "took it personally" that last season wasn't what it could have been due to their play. Supposedly they worked harder than ever before in the offseason.

Ok, so, you've tried putting the accountability on the players via the team leadership structure / council. That hasn't fixed the issue. There's one other place to look.

Look, someone is "signing off" on the offers being given to OL recruits based on their talent evaluation and belief in their ability to develop. Someone is coming up with the individual development plans for the players once they arrive. The conversion rate on recruiting is pretty damn high lately, so I'm inclined to believe the staff is often getting the kids they want. They wrap up their classes well before going deep into the B and C lists.

So, again, need we make this overly complicated? Doesn't this come down to talent evaluation and player development? Who's responsibility is that? Where is the first line of accountability outside of the players themselves?

Loyalty is an admirable quality in many respects, but where is the loyalty to your players, their families, the other coaches, the administration, and the fans?

The good of the many outweighs the good of the one. In all seriousness, if I were our OL coach, I would have resigned myself already. If I'm failing to serve the best interests of my employer, I believe it is my responsibility to recognize this, do all I can to correct it, and if it can't be corrected, step aside for the good of the organization. That's not BS... I've done it.

If you ever wanted or needed some damning indictment of the crapola field play of NU's OL, consider this visual proof example of how poorly NU's OL was prepared to play against a team that emphasizes superior line play. It's from the BTN2Go replay of the game. Fast forward to the 13:14 mark of the video. It shows NU's infamous LOT (name withheld), given another opportunity to display his pass blocking incompetency in NU's first sack of the day. The LOT looks like he got run-over by a freight train - summarily lifted off his feet and planted on his behind while looking like road kill in the process. If this is one of NU's best OL, then Fitz needs to get in the face of OL coach Adam Cushing and have a virtual "Come to Jesus" one-on-one meeting to straighten-out this debacle in the making. The LOT in question has regressed to his last season's terrible blocking form and IMHO, should not be listed among the 2 deep depth chart. But there he is...

This is a certifiable tragedy. I'm sure the LOT is trying his best, but he just doesn't use the proper pass blocking technique, and if he's "one of the best 5 OL" in FItz' stable of offensive linemen, then the 2017 pigskin Wildcats are in for a rude remainder of their B1G campaign. And to me, it starts with coaching - or in this case, an extreme lack of coaching ability.

Last edited:
Can we put Cushing on unconditional release or better yet trade him to Ed Orgeron for a coach to be named later

If you ever wanted or needed some damning indictment of the crapola field play of NU's OL, consider this visual proof example of how poorly NU's OL was prepared to play against a team that emphasizes superior line play. It's from the BTN2Go replay of the game. Fast forward to the 13:14 mark of the video. It shows NU's infamous LOT (name withheld), given another opportunity to display his pass blocking incompetency in NU's first sack of the day. The LOT looks like he got run-over by a freight train - summarily lifted off his feet and planted on his behind while looking like road kill in the process. If this is one of NU's best OL, then Fitz needs to get in the face of OL coach Adam Cushing and have a virtual "Come to Jesus" one-on-one meeting to straighten-out this debacle in the making. The LOT in question has regressed to his last season's terrible blocking form and IMHO, should not be listed among the 2 deep depth chart. But there he is...

This is a certifiable tragedy. I'm sure the LOT is trying his best, but he just doesn't use the proper pass blocking technique, and if he's "one of the best 5 OL" in FItz' stable of offensive linemen, then the 2017 pigskin Wildcats are in for a rude remainder of their B1G campaign. And to me, it starts with coaching - or in this case, an extreme lack of coaching ability.

This.
A lot of people have blamed McCall but I don't think McCall has the authority to make the change needed. McCall coaches up the QB's and created the O's game plan but when the the line can't "execute" it all fails. It is really unfair to the players at every position to allow a position group to come in and not be developed.
Making a change midseason is probably not going to be helpful unless the home work has already been done and a good candidate can be hired. I doubt that Fitz has done this which is a great failure on his part. To be honest I often wonder if his loyalty/stability of staff mantra is partly a cover for lack of experience and skill in doing an effective job recruiting and hiring. He is good at a lot of things but maybe not that.

Reactions: Catslash
The BTN crew, especially DiNardo, saw this back on the road trip during preseason camp. They noted then that the problem for this team would be the OL and possibly the DL, but primarily the OL. And, here we are, just as predicted. Sometimes things really are just that simple. CT can't be himself in the face of unrelenting pressure. Our running game can't get going when there are no holes or no push on 3rd & 1.

In the spring, the staff and team seemed to put the accountability on the OL players. They "took it personally" that last season wasn't what it could have been due to their play. Supposedly they worked harder than ever before in the offseason.

Ok, so, you've tried putting the accountability on the players via the team leadership structure / council. That hasn't fixed the issue. There's one other place to look.

Look, someone is "signing off" on the offers being given to OL recruits based on their talent evaluation and belief in their ability to develop. Someone is coming up with the individual development plans for the players once they arrive. The conversion rate on recruiting is pretty damn high lately, so I'm inclined to believe the staff is often getting the kids they want. They wrap up their classes well before going deep into the B and C lists.

So, again, need we make this overly complicated? Doesn't this come down to talent evaluation and player development? Who's responsibility is that? Where is the first line of accountability outside of the players themselves?

Loyalty is an admirable quality in many respects, but where is the loyalty to your players, their families, the other coaches, the administration, and the fans?

The good of the many outweighs the good of the one. In all seriousness, if I were our OL coach, I would have resigned myself already. If I'm failing to serve the best interests of my employer, I believe it is my responsibility to recognize this, do all I can to correct it, and if it can't be corrected, step aside for the good of the organization. That's not BS... I've done it.

We have NOT been getting our highest rated tackles each season in recruiting. It is the same story the last few years, they seem genuinely interested to start, get more offers and go away. However, IMO we are getting decent players in recruiting. I don't think it is a recruiting issue at all. His cycle we have an offer out to A local product Trev Keegan. A real difference maker that I believe we are a contender for. Michigan is the favorite and that crusty OL coach has been know to negatively recruit us. He is looking for a reason to stay home. Put a proven coach there and NU's chances increase.

This is development issue. We have plenty of example of players that saw the field quickly, started and then regressed to the point of watching most plays by the time they are a Senior. We have some on the team right now. I am not going to name them, but go over our roster the last 5 years. Again, this can't be all on the players because it happens to too many. How do these guys go from all freshman to left out. The lack of incremental gains is the number 1 red flag in evaluation. The second indictment is the ex-players themselves. Ask them.

Bottom line, the team and specific OLine players deserve better. It's very uncomfortable calling for someone's job when you aren't there every day, but the results are just not there and opportunity certainly has been fair. We have a lot of talent this year and still think we'll be ok this year, but with next year's schedule we are in big trouble if we take no action to correct this.

We have NOT been getting our highest rated tackles each season in recruiting. It is the same story the last few years, they seem genuinely interested to start, get more offers and go away. However, IMO we are getting decent players in recruiting. I don't think it is a recruiting issue at all. His cycle we have an offer out to A local product Trev Keegan. A real difference maker that I believe we are a contender for. Michigan is the favorite and that crusty OL coach has been know to negatively recruit us. He is looking for a reason to stay home. Put a proven coach there and NU's chances increase.

This is development issue. We have plenty of example of players that saw the field quickly, started and then regressed to the point of watching most plays by the time they are a Senior. We have some on the team right now. I am not going to name them, but go over our roster the last 5 years. Again, this can't be all on the players because it happens to too many. How do these guys go from all freshman to left out. The lack of incremental gains is the number 1 red flag in evaluation. The second indictment is the ex-players themselves. Ask them.

Bottom line, the team and specific OLine players deserve better. It's very uncomfortable calling for someone's job when you aren't there every day, but the results are just not there and opportunity certainly has been fair. We have a lot of talent this year and still think we'll be ok this year, but with next year's schedule we are in big trouble if we take no action to correct this.

If OL coach Adam Cushing had a standard, meritocracy-driven job (like a programmer, a engineer, a teacher, etc... or other professional calling), he would have been fired or at least put on a PIP "performance improvement plan" after his latest review in 2016. Bottom line: there doesn't seem to be anything approaching a similar "put out or get out" dictum in NU's athletic department and most certainly not for the employees receiving a paycheck within the current Wildcat football program. This means the 2017 football team is stuck with the stinking pile of "merde" in hand, and will have to muddle through the remaining 75% of the season with an incompetent OL coach.

I cringe when I think of what's gonna happen to Thorson & JJTBC next Saturday against NU's homecoming opponent, State Penn. Can you say "blood bath?"

Reactions: 2388bb and Catslash
And the message of my latest post is "Be prepared for more of the same ol' s#it." I'm certain that there are very few, if any, highly qualified and high quality OL coach replacements available in the Division 1A ranks, with this situation coming smack in the middle of the current college football season. All of which means... Yes, Adam Cushing will not be fired... until after the season ends. If there isn't change, even I will consider checking-out from support of this team because the athletic department is failing to support the players who, ultimately, are the delivered product of this football program. They deserve better.

What’s with this extra coach rule? Can we move Cushing to some other role and hire a top OL coach if they’re not willing to fire!

What’s with this extra coach rule? Can we move Cushing to some other role and hire a top OL coach if they’re not willing to fire!
Why would you want to move him to coach and likely screw up another position?

Reactions: D_C_B
Cushing isn't going anywhere.

Let me repeat: Cushing isn't going anywhere.

Fitz has clearly established he values an individual over the "greater good" of the program, whom he does not see as a sink-the-boat liability to the program. That isn't going to change. It is a cross we shall bear as fans so long as Fitz and Cushing both wish to work at Northwestern. The sooner you accept it, the sooner you can move on.

What makes this guy so special that he deserves to be so protected? As Waterboy stated accurately, in the rest of the professional world, he'd be on a PIP and either have shown measureable improvement or he'd be moved out by now. The new coach is an opportunity to augment the staff with more talent, but that doesn't mean that poor performers need to be maintained in the organization. How about hiring two new O coaches who have a chance to be successors to McCall when he ultimately "retires"? Fitz has an opportunity to layout a clear career path for a talented young-ish football mind that could be a good hook.

That's a bit harsh willy. Try not to be a complete jerk on every post. You might consider posting something positive every once in a while. It feels good. Here, I'll help:

What do you think of our kickoffs this season?

Reactions: FitzFan
This.
A lot of people have blamed McCall but I don't think McCall has the authority to make the change needed. McCall coaches up the QB's and created the O's game plan but when the the line can't "execute" it all fails. It is really unfair to the players at every position to allow a position group to come in and not be developed.
Making a change midseason is probably not going to be helpful unless the home work has already been done and a good candidate can be hired. I doubt that Fitz has done this which is a great failure on his part. To be honest I often wonder if his loyalty/stability of staff mantra is partly a cover for lack of experience and skill in doing an effective job recruiting and hiring. He is good at a lot of things but maybe not that.
Making a midseason change would turn Fitz into a hero and is probably the best thing he could do right now, even if things didn't substantially get better. People would at least see he recognized the problem and was trying to fix it. This has been going on WAY too long.

Reading this board, an infrequent visitor like me can only wonder why so much blame is put on assistants and so little on the boss. Never seen this from a fan base before.

If OL coach Adam Cushing had a standard, meritocracy-driven job (like a programmer, a engineer, a teacher, etc... or other professional calling), he would have been fired or at least put on a PIP "performance improvement plan" after his latest review in 2016. Bottom line: there doesn't seem to be anything approaching a similar "put out or get out" dictum in NU's athletic department and most certainly not for the employees receiving a paycheck within the current Wildcat football program. This means the 2017 football team is stuck with the stinking pile of "merde" in hand, and will have to muddle through the remaining 75% of the season with an incompetent OL coach.

I cringe when I think of what's gonna happen to Thorson & JJTBC next Saturday against NU's homecoming opponent, State Penn. Can you say "blood bath?"

How do you know he wasn't?

And the message of my latest post is "Be prepared for more of the same ol' s#it." I'm certain that there are very few, if any, highly qualified and high quality OL coach replacements available in the Division 1A ranks, with this situation coming smack in the middle of the current college football season. All of which means... Yes, Adam Cushing will not be fired... until after the season ends. If there isn't change, even I will consider checking-out from support of this team because the athletic department is failing to support the players who, ultimately, are the delivered product of this football program. They deserve better.

I wonder if we could hire this guy who is currently out of football. Beggars can't be choosers and he is no place to choose right now or so it seems. He had two bad back to back years in the NFL followed by this "year off" so he probably won't be invited back to the NFL so if he wants to coach, it's college or bust (or a large step down in NFL to quality control or something)..

Former Northwestern Player. Maybe a year at his Alma Matter and in the city his sisters live would be something he would enjoy.

https://www.ohio.com/akron/writers/...roud-to-continue-family-s-legacy-in-cleveland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hal_Hunter_(American_football,_born_1959)

Reading this board, an infrequent visitor like me can only wonder why so much blame is put on assistants and so little on the boss. Never seen this from a fan base before.
Implicitly it is on the boss and many have stated that Fitz is the problem for not having adequately dealt with a problem that was apparent as long as five years ago.

Cushing isn't going anywhere.

Let me repeat: Cushing isn't going anywhere.

Fitz has clearly established he values an individual over the "greater good" of the program, whom he does not see as a sink-the-boat liability to the program. That isn't going to change. It is a cross we shall bear as fans so long as Fitz and Cushing both wish to work at Northwestern. The sooner you accept it, the sooner you can move on.
That's all well and good, but when you sacrifice the success of an otherwise pretty darn good team, stubbornness is not a positive attribute.

That's a bit harsh willy. Try not to be a complete jerk on every post. You might consider posting something positive every once in a while. It feels good. Here, I'll help:

FANTASTIC! What do you think of our rushing attack? How do you like the performance of our NFL ready QB? Do you think our kickoff return unit is OK? Is the pass and run blocking good? Everyone one can't see things through purple tinted glasses. Maybe you could be somewhat honest with your assessments and not be that, everything is fine kind of apologist.

The vast majority of Offensive Lines in College Football are not good. Even the best lines are often not consistently good (witness Nebby's line , best in the BIG last year, considered to be the strength of the team this year with little turnover, but had Tanner running for his life aganst Northern Illinois of all teams...and even in other games has not been good). Heck even Wisky's vaunted offensive line nearly got their QB seriously hurt yesterday against a DL that has been pedestrian so far this year. And last year THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY, a BCS playoof team who can recruit anyone on the planet, had significant OL problems

Is it the coaching? Recruiting? Lack of development? A lack of desire to play a position with so little recognition when their good, but venom from message board justice warriors everywhere when they are not good? A lack of desire to play one of the roughest positions in all of football? Al of these? I certainly don't know, and even a ton of coaches obviously don't have the secret, or else OL play in the FBS would be more good than bad, which it is not.

But yeah, OK, fire the OL coach during the season, that will certainly cure all that ails us, lol...

FANTASTIC! What do you think of our rushing attack? How do you like the performance of our NFL ready QB? Do you think our kickoff return unit is OK? Is the pass and run blocking good? Everyone one can't see things through purple tinted glasses. Maybe you could be somewhat honest with your assessments and not be that, everything is fine kind of apologist.

There's a difference between honest assessments and cryng. Like a tissue?

He has been consistently putrid and the quicker he goes, the better. All u need to know is 10 sacks. I can guarantee you that that stat is not seen on the worst of days at Wisconsin or Nebraska. He needs to be doing something else like selling insurance

Is it the coaching? Recruiting? Lack of development? A lack of desire to play a position with so little recognition when their good, but venom from message board justice warriors everywhere when they are not good? A lack of desire to play one of the roughest positions in all of football? Al of these? I certainly don't know, and even a ton of coaches obviously don't have the secret, or else OL play in the FBS would be more good than bad, which it is not.

But yeah, OK, fire the OL coach during the season, that will certainly cure all that ails us, lol...[/QUOTE]

If this was just a down year, then you would have a point. We haven’t had an average like in 10 years and most years the line has been awful. It has consistently been the worst unit in the team. At some point you have to point the finger at the coach

He is will not be fired !
^this^
We only lose good coaches. We keep the baggage of those of ill recruit.

Cushing has a job for the next 20 years thru the fitz good ole boy club. Has nothing to do with loyaly. If so he would be loyal to fans and players who expect problems addressed. We have a mediocre program which would b fine if it wasnt so awful boring. Time to turn on the Domers.

Look around. A lot of people criticize Fitz. We also know he’s not going anywhere.

Reactions: phatcat

Most of the offensive linemen we get are at least three-start recruits, and many have had offers from other P5 programs. Other schools seem to come up with competent offensive lines with recruits rated no higher than ours. Most of Wisconsin's guys weren't four-stars out of high school. I think most of it relates to failure to develop players.
Actually, I haven't been to impressed with B1G o-line play as a whole this year. Michigan's run game is not all that great so far. Penn State's o-line, although much improved since they're back to a full complement of scholarships, still has its shaky moments. Our line obviously has issues. Ohio State couldn't do much against an Oklahoma team that gave up 41 points to Baylor. I certainly don't see any o-line in the league that would give Alabama or Clemson pause in a playoff showdown.

No! Do not move him to another role! That's insane. That's just a message to all the other coaches that as long as they befriend Fitz and are nice to him they have a job for life! That's the WORST thing we could do. We should fire him. Period.

Cushing was a bad hire on the day he was hired. Totally out of his league and underseving of the job based on his resume. Now he has a track record of incompetence to go with it. The comment was not harsh. It was totally fair based on the non-performance.

We have coaches that have been there and done that. Brown. Hank. Etc.

Cushing is the exact opposite. When we hired him, he had never there. And he has still never done that.

Last edited:
Reactions: LansingCatReturns
Well, if he was, it wasn't particularly effective, was it? So be careful what you wish for because the alternative isnt pretty for the apologist crowd...

So you're again going to ignore that I've said he should be coaching for his job before at least the last two years?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT