ADVERTISEMENT

Cushing countdown

But we wonder why we get negative recruited against?

I wonder why our self-proclaimed resident expert on recruiting, having paper-clipped recruiting files for a few years, has never once denied that the negative recruiting happens all the time? Not once.

Instead we get shifts of subject and belittment as know-nothing internet fans and whatever else it takes for him to stick his head in the sand like an ostrich and pretend that Cushing's mere presence doesn't cost us OL recruits.

Everybody knows it! Pay attention in the parking lot when you're talking to former OL next time! His incompetence is literally their #1 topic of NU football conversation. I guess they don't know anything either?

Yeah, but I was the best goddamn paper-clipper you ever saw!

PS -- this is part of my previous "without knowing very much" post. You have no idea what I did during my time at NU. Starting to think this is yet another Turk board personality.

Yes, the power of our suffering under Carmody was strong. Death by papercut. Over 13 years. It will take 13 X 13 years for the pain to be forgotten.
Just wait....next year will be #13 for the head football coach and year 10 for the OL coach.......

In terms of defining the problem, there seem to be five camps on this:

1. It is all the fault of Coach Cushing (recruiting, training, and game prep)
2. It is all the fault of Coach McCall (play-calling)
3. It is all the fault of the O-Line Players (not winning one-on-one match-ups)
4. It is all the fault of CT (holding the ball too long)
5. It is the combined fault of all, part, or none of these groups but not the fault of any single one. The fault is such that no group or person is more or less at fault (note that the word "responsible" was not used but "at fault") than any other or than the whole.

As regards the severity of the situation, there are also various camps with two extremes:

1. The O-Line is such a disaster, we will be lucky to win another game
2. The O-Line is not where we want it to be but that just puts us in the same category of most other schools. A really good O-Line is a rarity in college football.

As regards the solution, there are three camps:

1. Fire Coach Cushing now to send a message of accountability
2. Start working to find a replacement for Coach Cushing and fire him at the end of the season
3. Don't fire Coach Cushing because he is really not the problem

There are also some outliers about firing Coach McCall and Fitz but I am not tracking those.

To try and bring some order to this chaos of opinions, I am asking myself the following questions:

1. Has the problem on the O-Line persisted through several iterations of O-Line players?
2. Has the problem of sacks and beleaguered quarterbacks persisted through several quarterbacks?
3. How many of our O-Linemen have been drafted into the NFL during the Cushing era?
4. We had 8 sacks on Saturday. All other things being equal, if the total had been 2 instead of 8 sacks, how high is the potential that the outcome of the game (an NU loss) would have been different?
5. We got stuffed on two third and shorts. All other things being equal, if we had made those first downs, how high is the potential that the outcome of the game (an NU loss) would have been different?
6. If the sacks are the fault of CT, then is it not just as logical that the lack of running game is the fault of JJTBC?

I am not trying to make anyone believe that I am not biased and do not have an opinion on this. I obviously do and my questions are slanted in that direction. However, just because I am biased does not mean that my questions are invalid.
First, Cushing is not the only one recruiting these guys so while he is responsible for their lack of development, can't blame the recuiting on him or just on him. Also, our OL recruits tend to have ratings as high or higher than WIS In group 2 there should be an in between. We will win more games but we are definitely not in the category of most other teams. We have a below average OL and it will cost us games which is a crime because of the potential this years team had. I think we should be looking hard for a replacement for after the season. Too late to do much for this year unless we already have the replacement in house. In the last group answers are yes, yes, 0, potential win. While a couple sacks are the fault of CT most were fault of OL.

Teams win or lose as a team. Just that OL looks like a pretty weak link.

Last edited:
Yeah, but I was the best goddamn paper-clipper you ever saw!

PS -- this is part of my previous "without knowing very much" post. You have no idea what I did during my time at NU. Starting to think this is yet another Turk board personality.

Are you actually admitting that you were part of the problem? Little wonder you defend it to the deathz. You've literally been dunked in the loyalty problem. That explains everything.

You should have stuck with being the lowly paper clipper. Again, another argument that backfires on you. Be careful what you wish for...

Are you actually admitting that you were part of the problem? Little wonder you defend it to the deathz. You've literally been dunked in the loyalty problem. That explains everything.

The two classes in which I played the biggest role produced Paul Jorgensen, Brandon Vitabile, Matt Frazier, and Geoff Mogus. Not world-beaters, but some of the better OL we've had (multi-year starters, etc.). I would put the 2010 class up against pretty much any Fitz era class in terms of contribution to the program; CJ Bryant is the only "miss" in the group. 2011 wasn't bad either.

More to the point, you literally have no idea what I contributed on a day-to-day basis. None.

Perhaps even more to the point, I still am not defending it. I've previously called for coaches' jobs and will continue to do so as I see fit. I just don't have to say it 75 times a day to feel better about myself.

What role did you play in this class? Are you trying to take credit for recruiting these guys? Sort of sounds like it, so please set me straight. What exactly was your role?

I'd like to hear it in your words. You seem willing to say so - you do tend to bring it up all the time.

And, since you tend to call everyone here who disagrees with you a know-nothing, I think it's fair to ask you exactly what you say you know. And given that you're so close with the staff, why don't you tell us all exactly how close you are and what you did for them?

This is the internet after all. Lots of people make all sorts of outrageous claims. (I, for example, invented both post-its and the question mark.)

So let's hear it. Do tell.

Last edited:
What role did you play in this class? Are you trying to take credit for recruiting these guys? Sort of sounds like it, so please set me straight. What exactly was your role?

I'd like to hear it in your words. You seem willing to say so - you do tend to bring it up all the time.

And, since you tend to call everyone here who disagrees with you a know-nothing, I think it's fair to ask you exactly what you say you know. And given that you're so close with the staff, why don't you tell us all exactly how close you are and what you did for them?

This is the internet after all. Lots of people make all sorts of outrageous claims. (I, for example, invented both post-its and the question mark.)

So let's hear it. Do tell.

Yes, I played a role in recruiting those guys as a member of the NU football staff. I was one member of a very small full-time recruiting staff (one or two, depending on the year), doing everything from film review to transcript screening to planning official visits to hosting visits to giving campus tours to evaluating in camps, watching practice every day, sitting in on staff meetings, etc.

I'm not particularly close to the staff anymore having left over six years ago now, but still friendly enough that we catch up if/when our paths cross.

The OLs sucked, but Colter at QB being a band aid is BS. Denver's OL provides little in terms of pass pro for Siemian but he's 3-1.

Didn't realize NU had All-Pro wide receivers to throw to during Siemian's college days.

The OLs sucked, but Colter at QB being a band aid is BS. Denver's OL provides little in terms of pass pro for Siemian but he's 3-1.

Does this again raise the question of the OC not improvising a scheme to downplay the OL deficiencies ?

Their best WR played QB.
In his stints at WR, he had one game where we sort of sprang it on the other teams and he did well but iin other efforts he was pretty pedestrian and didn't he get dinged up?

In his stints at WR, he had one game where we sort of sprang it on the other teams and he did well but iin other efforts he was pretty pedestrian and didn't he get dinged up?
Persa, colter, TS all got injured. Only ones who didnt were CJ and Kafka but they still had Randy Walker OL that he recruited then developed. Hopefully CT finishes the year with 2 legs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT