ADVERTISEMENT

Demps haters -1

Turk

May 29, 2001
Blacklisted by Fitz
Demps is playing awesome and has now raised his fg % to 41% from the low 30s a month ago when we were trying to build freshmen confidence. It is still beyond me how some of our fans insist he shouldnt be a starter or he should lose minutes. He has a great shot and can create offense.
Imo he has potential to be really special next year.

Totally related, he had seven assists last night, which I'm sure without checking is a career high. It was great for him to look at his teammates a bit. Fewer over-aggressive shots and more 'extra passes'.

Originally posted by NUCat320:
Totally related, he had seven assists last night, which I'm sure without checking is a career high. It was great for him to look at his teammates a bit. Fewer over-aggressive shots and more 'extra passes'.
He led the team in assists last year...don't get why people keep pinning the selfish mark on him...

He led in assists by 2 with a total of 73, and averaged 2.2/game (4th on the team per game). For a guard with the ball in his hands as often as he had it, it's not quite a feather in the cap. For a counter, Sobo had 127 the year before (different system I know), McIntosh already has 114 on the year.

That said, yesterday was an example of what he can do and he had a great game. Hope he keeps it going.

This post was edited on 2/19 5:08 PM by thewildcat2011

Originally posted by thewildcat2011:
He led in assists by 2 with a total of 73, and averaged 2.2/game (4th on the team per game). For a guard with the ball in his hands as often as he had it, it's not quite a feather in the cap. For a counter, Sobo had 127 the year before (different system I know), McIntosh already has 114 on the year.

That said, yesterday was an example of what he can do and he had a great game. Hope he keeps it going.

But it's not exactly horrible, or a reason to call him selfish. And...he's second in assists this season. He plays the shooting guard the way a shooting guard should. Is he perfect? Heck no. But cut the "he never looks for teammates" crap...

Originally posted by VirginiaWildcat:

But it's not exactly horrible, or a reason to call him selfish. And...he's second in assists this season. He plays the shooting guard the way a shooting guard should. Is he perfect? Heck no. But cut the "he never looks for teammates" crap...
Well, given that no one (at least certainly not me) said the phrase that was in quotes, I don't really know what you're talking about.

He is single minded and selfish at times; he can be a much better creator for others than he has been in the past. I think yesterday was great and he can definitely keep playing like that. He's a good offensive player, his main shortcomings are on D.

2011, he is the designated 'shooting guard". Other than Mac, he is the guy you want taking the shot as the clock ticks down.

Well, given that no one (at least certainly not me) said the phrase that was in quotes, I don't really know what you're talking about.
I'm just paraphrasing what's been said many times about him in the past...and you know exactly what I'm taking about.

To be clear, you said 'selfish'. I said over-aggressive. He was under control, and the offense flowed smoothly and got lots of open shots. (Re-reading my original post, my use of 'a bit' reads like a criticism of selfish play. That's my lack of precision in language, and was not intended. Don't post while driving, kids, no matter how open the road.)

I don't believe Demps is selfish. I believe he is supremely confident and it sometimes leads him to believe that the next one is definitely going in, no matter where he gets the ball.

Ben Johnson was selfish. He knew what he needed to get to double-digits and he got there - you could see it in his eyes. Watching him play,
I'm fairly certain that Demps finds out his scoring line when he gets his first look at the box score. He simply thinks he's the best on any court always, and sometimes he plays that way - he's better when he takes advantage of his teammates' skills.

NU was greater than the sum of the parts last night, most certainly. Demps was a huge part of that.

(edited with parenthetical at end of first paragraph)

This post was edited on 2/19 6:18 PM by NUCat320

My frustration with Demps this year wasn't so much with him being selfish. It was with him not making shots. He was shooting without confidence, his stroke looked bad, and he missed way too many open looks. I never really thought he was trying to force it, too often we got deep in the clock and no one else was moving and so he was the default option because he can create off the dribble. That said, the fidgety release did seem to clear off late in the game when the pressure was on, even early in the season. Maybe at that point he stops thinking and just gets in the zone.

Thankfully, he seems to have gotten himself through his version of the shooting yips. His release looks much more natural now. His % will still be lower than some others on the team cause he gets stuck with the role of taking bad shots late in the shot clock, but all the shots are looking better.

I do think the better off-ball movement the past couple games that others referenced helped with his assist numbers against Minny, and helped the team overall. Here's hoping that 1) Demps keeps making the looks he gets, and 2) the other guys keep finding open space so he doesn't have to force as much.

I said a couple of weeks ago that I wondered if he was better coming in as the sixth man. Last year he was awesome closing out games. This year with him starting, we lost 6 games at the end of the games and I wondered if his chemistry finishing might be better than his chemistry starting. Coming off the bench he is likely to have fewer fouls and more energy in the last ten minutes of play and I think he was inspired by that role like a great closer in Baseball.

He played really well the last couple of games but we will never know if he could have played better during the losing streak coming in off the bench. It almost makes the opposition plan for two teams. You can't ignore the starting line up because if they get hot the Cats are off to a quick start but you have to prepare for the change of pace when Demps comes in so you split your practice and focus. t's the 2 QB system on the hardwood.

He was fine knocking down what should have been the game winner at Maryland. I don't think not starting him is necessarily going to give him more energy down the stretch, especially if his minutes are the same.

Some guys are better coming off the bench. It allows the gameto sort of slow down for them. Demps seemed to be that kind of guy. Does not mean that they are not in at the end of get less minutes, just means that they do not start the game.

That drive and 360 spin he had against Iowa towards the end of the game for the soft lay in was a hell of a move.

Sure he's a bit selfish. Name me a scorer who isn't. You have so much faith in yourself to nail the shot that every other alternative looks lesser to you.

But Demps is also a savvy player who gives up the ball. Some of the best passing this year has happened by him the last four or five games.

He seems to be a really great young man and I don't know if there's a harder worker on the team.

As best I can tell, he's the only guy on the team that can consistently create his own shot (which you absolutely have to have) and he's been a hell of a clutch shooter, so I will live with him overdribbling from time to time. In my opinion, he's had to be selfish at times. As McIntosh and others get better at being able to create offense, he hopefully will continue to develop as a creater.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT