ADVERTISEMENT

Deon Sanders chaotic culture turns into locker room violence

Eurocat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001

Some players aren't suited for "Prime Time," or at least that's what the CU staff wants everyone to believe. But conversations with those who've left Boulder reveals the true nature of the culture within the Buffaloes program. A few former players have spoken anonymously to Athlon, fearing retaliation, if they went on the record.

"It's like a real-life Grand Theft Auto video game," one former player said. "There are many distractions with fights, guns, and money floating around. The environment is unlike any I’ve come from before."

Another former player went deeper into the violent incidents within CU's football program, recounting three separate alleged occurrences over the past year, each unfathomable in any normal locker room. This insight sheds light on what happened with former five-star talent Cormani McClain and why his experience in Boulder was negative.

"Cormani was taking a lot of heat from everyone," said the former player. "At the same time Coach Prime was saying he was in the doghouse and needed to improve, Cormani was getting bullied by Shilo (Sanders). After the Oregon State game, Shilo slapped him several times, which left Cormani screaming 'I'm going to kill you' repeatedly. After that, you could tell he wasn’t mentally there. It’s hard when the coaches you trust are calling you derogatory names on the practice field."

What are the odds Deion will still be the coach when the Buffs come to the new Ryan Field in 2026?

Reactions: Bwm57

Some players aren't suited for "Prime Time," or at least that's what the CU staff wants everyone to believe. But conversations with those who've left Boulder reveals the true nature of the culture within the Buffaloes program. A few former players have spoken anonymously to Athlon, fearing retaliation, if they went on the record.

"It's like a real-life Grand Theft Auto video game," one former player said. "There are many distractions with fights, guns, and money floating around. The environment is unlike any I’ve come from before."

Another former player went deeper into the violent incidents within CU's football program, recounting three separate alleged occurrences over the past year, each unfathomable in any normal locker room. This insight sheds light on what happened with former five-star talent Cormani McClain and why his experience in Boulder was negative.

"Cormani was taking a lot of heat from everyone," said the former player. "At the same time Coach Prime was saying he was in the doghouse and needed to improve, Cormani was getting bullied by Shilo (Sanders). After the Oregon State game, Shilo slapped him several times, which left Cormani screaming 'I'm going to kill you' repeatedly. After that, you could tell he wasn’t mentally there. It’s hard when the coaches you trust are calling you derogatory names on the practice field."

horseplay

Slim to none and one is out of town. Prime time will find an excuse to “retire” and go back to what he does best, which is being a TV personality.
I see him being "retired" but I have a harder time seeing it being his choice

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT