ADVERTISEMENT

Props to Coach Prime! This guy is gonna kill it -

Eurocat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
The Athletic has an article but since not everyone has a subscription I won't post it and get in trouble, but here is the intro, first few paragraphs, to give you the background.

She’s arguably Colorado’s most famous fan, but she’s also quick to offer an apology for her declining eyesight and hearing. So she had to make sure she heard correctly when Colorado athletic director Rick George told her in late January that she’d have a guest the following day: Deion Sanders.

George and Sanders arrived as planned, and George let the two get to know one another as Coppom, anything but shy, helped educate Sanders on the history of the program. They sat together at the dining room table topped by Coppom’s pink tablecloth.

“She is just a breath of fresh air. She just breathes life into everyone that comes close to her. She’s a godsend, man,” Sanders said Saturday, months after the initial meeting and hours after surprising Coppom with a ceremonial honor in Colorado’s spring game. “She’s un-dern-believable.”

Coppom moved to Boulder in 1940 after growing up in Haxtun, Colo., a small town on the northeast plains of the state. Together with her twin sister Betty Hoover, who died in 2020, they gained local celebrity as the “CU Twins” who attended tons of Colorado sporting events and, as a point of pride, refused to ever leave early. So with 80 years of Buffaloes fandom alongside her sister and late husband, who was an airline pilot, she had plenty of stories for Sanders. The coach passed on the cinnamon rolls but downed his Pepsi as predicted and began a love affair with the praline pecans she’d laid out.

“They were glazed or caramelized or something,” Sanders said. “I was just killing those things.”

But before he left, Sanders had a request. Would she be up for walking out on the field with him at the spring game in three months? “I said, ‘OK. But I’m 98 years old. I’m not gonna run,’” Coppom said. “I said OK then and thought, ‘Oh, he’ll forget about this. He’s got 100 kids to take care of up there.’ But he didn’t forget about it.”

Anything but.

The Athletic REALLY is one of the few sites on the internet (along with Wildcat Report!) worth subscribing to, it is terrific!

Serious question: why so many sudden overnight transfers? Did Prime say there would be a showdown for positions and these guys lost? Was something specific in play here?

Sidebar: Buffs were ranked higher than us in scoring offense last season.

This thing at CU is completely burned to the ground and starting from scratch. Will be fascinating to watch - and to see how long (and if) it takes to build a winner

Reactions: drewjin
I'm still not actually understanding why so many entered the portal all at once.

Is it that Sanders was using the spring game as a final practice before effectively making "cuts" (akin to an NFL training camp?) and then he notified the players after the game that they should move on?

Or were several playing hoping to get some practice time in so they could show other schools what they had this spring?

The problem with Deion's plan is who in the world is going to play for an ego-maniac coach, who hasn't proven he can win in a Power 5 conference, in a cold weather state at a program that is one of the worst in the country. Does he really think that a bunch of five and four star athletes are holding off on accepting offers from Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State to see if they get an offer to play at a college in Boulder, Colorado.

This is the year 2023 not 1995 and Deion isn't the big deal he use to be no matter how hard the media tries to play him up.

It will be fascinating to watch. If purging and replacing the athletes works and he starts winning by year 2, you'll see other schools copy his method.

It may be similar to when the Cubs and Astros tanked in the early 2010s and won World Series rings a few years later. Now, a handful of teams tank each year hoping for a similar outcome.

The problem with Deion's plan is who in the world is going to play for an ego-maniac coach, who hasn't proven he can win in a Power 5 conference, in a cold weather state at a program that is one of the worst in the country. Does he really think that a bunch of five and four star athletes are holding off on accepting offers from Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State to see if they get an offer to play at a college in Boulder, Colorado.

This is the year 2023 not 1995 and Deion isn't the big deal he use to be no matter how hard the media tries to play him up.

With NIL, anything is now possible.

Deion gets lots of media attention. Attention = $$$.

Kids will go to Boulder if they get paid enough.

Reactions: Ryanfield124
I'm still not actually understanding why so many entered the portal all at once.

Is it that Sanders was using the spring game as a final practice before effectively making "cuts" (akin to an NFL training camp?) and then he notified the players after the game that they should move on?

Or were several playing hoping to get some practice time in so they could show other schools what they had this spring?
Managed to answer my own question...

According to an article in The Athletic, they detail the story of an O-lineman who was notified by his position coach on Sunday that he had been cut.

That obviously doesn't tell the whole story but not hard to imagine that several other players got the same notifications, and then some of the better players voluntarily clocked out right behind them, out of solidarity, disgust, or whatever.

Lots of blame to go around here, but I don't personally put any of it on Sanders to be honest - he was hired to do what he thinks is necessary to build a winning program and will be fired in no time if he fails to deliver. With that in mind I don't know that I consider it his responsibility to look out for players he has no intentions of putting on the field. Perhaps if the athletic director had put some parameters in place...or the institution...or the NCAA...

According to an article in The Athletic, they detail the story of an O-lineman who was notified by his position coach on Sunday that he had been cut.

That obviously doesn't tell the whole story but not hard to imagine that several other players got the same notifications, and then some of the better players voluntarily clocked out right behind them, out of solidarity, disgust, or whatever.

Lots of blame to go around here, but I don't personally put any of it on Sanders to be honest - he was hired to do what he thinks is necessary to build a winning program and will be fired in no time if he fails to deliver. With that in mind I don't know that I consider it his responsibility to look out for players he has no intentions of putting on the field. Perhaps if the athletic director had put some parameters in place...or the institution...or the NCAA...

Parameters? 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: NU Houston

Or, you know, if the school honors it’s commitments…

Linked article references that in 2015 the Power 5 conferences agreed to all offer 4 year scholarships that couldn’t be taken away for athletic performance. Maybe they’d claim he isn’t actually doing that but certainly isn’t honoring the spirit of the obligation. Colorado has completely thrown in the towel on any pretense of student-athletes.

Linked article references that in 2015 the Power 5 conferences agreed to all offer 4 year scholarships that couldn’t be taken away for athletic performance. Maybe they’d claim he isn’t actually doing that but certainly isn’t honoring the spirit of the obligation. Colorado has completely thrown in the towel on any pretense of student-athletes.

There are no rules.

At most places, the term “student-athletes” has been laughable for fifty years.

Reactions: Ryanfield124
There are no rules.

Obviously. That's been clear in practice for a long time.

Just pointing out that this isn't a grey area that is being exploited, but rather that it is a direct violation of ethics schools like UC publicly committed to uphold. That said, I'm hardly surprised or shocked that is the case.

I would assume the Athletic Department has agreed to honor the scholarships of the players who got booted, knowing that most of them would be inclined to transfer anyway so the actual cost would be minimal - to that end I don't think they're doing anything "wrong" in terms of policy violations.

Here's my other personal issue with...well...everything happening in college sports right now - it's now 100% an adversarial process. Players, coaches, administrators, boosters - everyone only looking out for their own interests and anyone failing to do that effectively risks looking like a stooge.

And I think the horse is out of the proverbial stable - no other Pac-12 or NCAA administrator is looking at Colorado right now saying, "we need to fix this." They're too busy looking at who they can recruit from the portal and enjoying the fact that Prime's team probably won't be any sort of threat for at least a year or two if ever.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Maybe I spoke too soon!

Some of these cuts are real head scratchers.

Six Feet and Eight Inches, 320 pounds, 3.5 GPA, gone. Just one example -

Maybe I spoke too soon!

Some of these cuts are real head scratchers.

Six Feet and Eight Inches, 320 pounds, 3.5 GPA, gone. Just one example -

No firm indication that he was "let go" - could just as easily be looking around, see 100% of his closest friends/teammates gone and feels the need to move on himself - unintended consequence of Sanders' moves.

No firm indication that he was "let go" - could just as easily be looking around, see 100% of his closest friends/teammates gone and feels the need to move on himself - unintended consequence of Sanders' moves.

From The Athletic

Travis Gray thought he had Sunday off. The day after Colorado football’s nationally televised, snowy spring game showcase, the offensive lineman was eating lunch at Olive Garden. He had a meeting with coach Deion Sanders scheduled for 3 p.m. Monday — until his phone buzzed with a text message from offensive line coach Bill O’Boyle. That meeting had been moved up. It started in 30 minutes. An apologetic O’Boyle was waiting in the lobby of the team facility. As they made their way toward Sanders’ office, O’Boyle told him what was happening.

“He’s walking with me and said, ‘Hey buddy, you’re going to get cut today. I’m sorry to tell you this. I didn’t want you to hear it from Coach Prime. I wanted you to hear it from my mouth. I didn’t want to cut you, but we had to cut five offensive linemen, and you were the last one,’” Gray told The Athletic on Tuesday evening.

When Gray walked into Sanders’ office, his head was down. Then he looked up.

“I was like, ‘Oh, God.’ I saw the mean mug in his face,” Gray said. “He told me, ‘You’re 6-foot-8, 320 pounds. I know in my heart of hearts a school is going to pick you up in the portal when you enter. Make your weaknesses your strengths and keep progressing. I hope you have a great future, it just won’t be here at the University of Colorado.’”

Gray was disappointed. The Aurora, Colo. native’s father, Lamarr Gray, was an outside linebacker on Colorado’s 1990 national championship team. His dream of following in his father’s footsteps was over after just a year on campus.

Most of the 23 Colorado players who entered the transfer portal or announced plans to on Monday and Tuesday were told to do so, players say.

Defensive coordinator Charles Kelly called safety Jeremy Mack Jr., who made 48 tackles last year and worked with the first-team defense for much of the spring, into a meeting with Sanders, too.

“Coach Prime just told me up front, ‘We have plans to go another way. You competed. You did everything we wanted you to this spring, and you fought,’” Mack told The Athletic on Monday. “That was my first meeting with Coach Prime since I’ve been here.”

Forgive me @Eurocat - that was actually the article to which I previously referred, and I just overlooked the player's name. My point was simply to say I don't think 100% of those hitting the Portal were cut, but some looked around and basically said "f this, I'm leaving."

No need for any apologies, Lord knows I misread half the things I look at nowadays myself. And I agree overall with what you say.

What? The talent is coming to boulder in droves. Have you seen the portal transfers to boulder. He’s dumping the losers and bring in studs.

What? The talent is coming to boulder in droves. Have you seen the portal transfers to boulder. He’s dumping the losers and bring in studs.
I hope Coach Fitz is looking at the ex-Buff stampede through the portal. There's some battle tested talent there, some of whom could actually get passed Admissions. But, as usual,Crickets

Reactions: The Purple Knight
I hope Coach Fitz is looking at the ex-Buff stampede through the portal. There's some battle tested talent there, some of whom could actually get passed Admissions. But, as usual,Crickets

Such a horrible take. You have no clue as to whether or not we are recruiting/evaluating the CU transfers. Just because @mesacat hasn’t heard anything doesn’t mean we’re not doing our due diligence. 🙄

Such a horrible take. You have no clue as to whether or not we are recruiting/evaluating the CU transfers. Just because @mesacat hasn’t heard anything doesn’t mean we’re not doing our due diligence. 🙄
Regardless of the amount of work we are (or are not) doing, our results out of the transfer portal have been clearly disappointing. I know there are hurdles to getting people through admissions, but other teams have been way more aggressive than we have, that's for sure. And there are a number of position groups where we could really use a big infusion of additional talent / depth. QB (!), OL, WR, LB, DL to name a few.

Unfortunately I think the developments in CFB over the last few years have not favored the Pat Fitzgerald approach of gradually building and developing people, focusing on culture, making a 40 year decision instead of a 4 year decision, etc. Well, and Hank retiring obviously put a big dent in things too. Hoping we can turn it around with the new coach hires this year, but the trend is bad and hard to have a lot of optimism right now.

Reactions: The Purple Knight
Regardless of the amount of work we are (or are not) doing, our results out of the transfer portal have been clearly disappointing. I know there are hurdles to getting people through admissions, but other teams have been way more aggressive than we have, that's for sure. And there are a number of position groups where we could really use a big infusion of additional talent / depth. QB (!), OL, WR, LB, DL to name a few.

Unfortunately I think the developments in CFB over the last few years have not favored the Pat Fitzgerald approach of gradually building and developing people, focusing on culture, making a 40 year decision instead of a 4 year decision, etc. Well, and Hank retiring obviously put a big dent in things too. Hoping we can turn it around with the new coach hires this year, but the trend is bad and hard to have a lot of optimism right now.

We are currently very active in recruiting grad transfers in the 2nd portal window. Portal window 1 is not conducive to NU due to the timing of our quarters system. Expect some very good news soon.

We are currently very active in recruiting grad transfers in the 2nd portal window. Portal window 1 is not conducive to NU due to the timing of our quarters system. Expect some very good news soon.
Who else have they offered besides hagarty SIU and Fresno DL?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT