ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Prime says NCAA should ensure that a kid who commits to a school can't go elsewhere

Eurocat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001

OK, let’s see if we’ve got this straight. Deion Sanders, the Colorado football coach who built this year’s team with a herd of transfers from other schools, is complaining about players not living up to their commitments, about players who changed their minds and no longer want to join his team.

After a prize recruit “de-committed” from Colorado recently and elected to “reopen” his recruiting to other schools, Sanders ripped the system. He called for the NCAA to prevent players from breaking their commitments.

“A kid ain’t even faithful to his girlfriend. You think (he’s) gonna be faithful to a school? Come on, man. That’s an emotional thing,” Sanders told The Athletic.

Continuing, he said, “What I wish the NCAA would do, if you’re committed somewhere, you can’t go on any other visits. If you’re committed, that means you’re committed. You can’t go on no other visits. Why would you be committed but you’re still letting kids go on other visits? That means you just playing.”

Wait a minute, isn’t he the guy who …

Yes. The same

The more he talks the dumber you realize he is.
I think the guy was the most overrated player ever in the NFL. He had speed, that was it. He hardly ever really tackled anyone, just nudged them out of bounds. He was pathetic as a Redskin. I remember watching the Skins play the Lions in one of the last games I saw at the Silverdome. Johnny Morton smoked him every time. Humble Pie is coming Neon Deion's way!!!!

Coach Prime sure bothers a lot of people here for a guy that isn’t in our conference and we next to never compete for a recruit with, but only one reference to Fitz so far, so that’s improving.
Hey…he welcomed all the hype. Now he’s got deal with the other side of that hype. He only has himself to blame. Well, that and his statement about recruits is extremely hypocritical.

Well if he doesn’t, his fans sure do.
I don’t care if he wins or losses. Obviously, we have many on here who would prefer he loses. There still hanging on to “the good old days”. He is a product of the environment. His job is to win games, in his mind the rest will take care of itself. He uses athletes to promote his self and pad his wallet. Sounds like just about every Coach that’s been around the block. It’s been like this for decades. He’s just in your face about how he does it.

Reactions: KappaKat
For the record, I think Prime and Fitz are right on the commitment stuff. Don't want to commit, don't commit. Teams make other decisions based on commitments. Only fair.
Maybe but then don't do it yourself

Bo Jackson was a specular athlete in both sports.
This is so insanely wrong. Deion was playing baseball at a superstar level. I take it that anyone with this take doesn’t care for advanced baseball metrics so I’ll just leave it at that.

This is so insanely wrong. Deion was playing baseball at a superstar level. I take it that anyone with this take doesn’t care for advanced baseball metrics so I’ll just leave it at that.
He was a superstar in football too. Judging by his year on the Redskins, the year before he retired, really misses his impact.

I thought it was a troll piece when I saw it
Dude who told over half of Colorado's scholarship players to GTFO now complains that the NCAA should force recruits to honor their VERBAL commitments! Do as I say not as I do. Karma is biatch Deion and screwing people over is a two way street. What a hypocrite and clown this guy is showing himself to be. I don't foresee a long coaching career for him. I think he will "Retire" soon after he realizes this head coaching thing is a lot harder than he thought it was.

I disagree.

Deion had one great year with Atlanta and other than that was an average at best player. There's a reason the Braves and the Reds traded him away in the middle of a division race.

For years a student's academic and athletic career was in the hands of a coach who could decide if he would allow a student to transfer and where he could transfer. Coaches have only themselves to blame for taken advantage of the old rule and putting themselves ahead of the student and now we have this madness.

Deion had one great year with Atlanta and other than that was an average at best player. There's a reason the Braves and the Reds traded him away in the middle of a division race.

For years a student's academic and athletic career was in the hands of a coach who could decide if he would allow a student to transfer and where he could transfer. Coaches have only themselves to blame for taken advantage of the old rule and putting themselves ahead of the student and now we have this madness.
The advanced metrics disagree with you heavily.

The advanced metrics disagree with you heavily.
Actually, the advanced metrics totally agree with this take. Deion only had one year in MLB with a WAR above 1.5, and that was a WAR of 3.2. That tied him for 66th among hitters with Chris Hoiles, Reuben Sierra, Manuel Lee, and Delino DeShields, which is nowhere near superstar company. That season also accounted for more than half of his career WAR of 5.5.

Speed was is primary game, and he did lead the league in triples once, but in terms of stolen bases he was in the top 10 twice and only in the top 10 of stolen base percentage once. His defense was rarely above average.

Over his career, he was below average in MLB rOBA and Rbat+ when taken in context of the league in the years he played.

In short, he was a roughly replacement level player (aka a bench player) three times, and a slightly above average level starting player once in nine seasons. I do acknowledge that they were partial seasons, which could affect some of his value, but his rate stats suggest otherwise.

Actually, the advanced metrics totally agree with this take. Deion only had one year in MLB with a WAR above 1.5, and that was a WAR of 3.2. That tied him for 66th among hitters with Chris Hoiles, Reuben Sierra, Manuel Lee, and Delino DeShields, which is nowhere near superstar company. That season also accounted for more than half of his career WAR of 5.5.

Speed was is primary game, and he did lead the league in triples once, but in terms of stolen bases he was in the top 10 twice and only in the top 10 of stolen base percentage once. His defense was rarely above average.

Over his career, he was below average in MLB rOBA and Rbat+ when taken in context of the league in the years he played.

In short, he was a roughly replacement level player (aka a bench player) three times, and a slightly above average level starting player once in nine seasons. I do acknowledge that they were partial seasons, which could affect some of his value, but his rate stats suggest otherwise.
First, we are comparing him against Jackson.

Second, a season like one of his 1.5 fWAR ones isn't slightly above replacement when it’s driven by speed and defense and takes place over 95 games. He had a few seasons like that in addition to his excellent season in Atlanta, which, yes, 3.2 fWAR over 325 PA is a bonafide star.

He’s not “overrated.” He was playing hall of fame level football at the same time he was ranging between 4th OF and all-star level (the aforementioned Atlanta season).

ETA: just realized you must be using baseball reference. I use Fangraphs. Don’t like how BR calc defense and prefer that FIP be used for pitching. Might be part of the discrepancy.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT