ADVERTISEMENT

Did we pay too much? Bears Tickets are cheaper

Turk

May 29, 2001
Blacklisted by Fitz
NU did a brilliant job getting the pledges and selling out the new arena, all on the hope of an up and staying BB program.

Now, it looks as if we paid too much. I got bumped out of my courtside because I wasn't going to drop $25,000. I mean I would if I could but honestly I'm priced out at that level. So I figured I'd drop $6,000 annually with midcourt seats. But the double whammy is that the gift is no longer tax deductible, and the seats aren't courtside. With little hope of a solid season for the next year or two I'm thinking myself and others overpaid for W/R 2.0. A pledge is a pledge so I'll still cough up the $6,000 but I'm going to downgrade in seat area so I don't get hammered with another $6,000 in additional years.

Not sure how others are thinking but admittedly emotion is a bit involved. Just not feeling as hopeful with this team and it just doesn't seem worth $6,000 + a season ticket to sit in the stands. I could nab bears tickets cheaper. For those who want to upgrade, call the ticket office, maybe they have a list because I may not be the only fan who was maybe too emotional when I dropped $6,000 thinking I was going to see Rock stars.

I must live in a different world because I can't even imagine dropping $6k on tickets for NU. I was aghast when they bumped my old seats up to $3k. Heck, I was pretty shocked at the cost of seats at Allstate and that was before I realized what a dump its become.

We gave up our season tickets. Asking for a “donation” to keep your existing seat location is absolute bullshit for a program that has had issues attracting fans in the past. This season has made the decision much easier to handle.

20 years of loyalty gone because NU “needed” a 6-f’ing-grand donation for me to keep my seats.

20 years of loyalty gone because NU “needed” a 6-f’ing-grand donation for me to keep my seats.
A historic year that wiped out decades of futility, combined with a brand spanking new arena, created a new supply-demand equation. I am happy to pay the price for success and look forward to cheering on our student-athletes in their new home.

We're a program with a putrid history, even with last season's success. We've had a history of poor attendance due to the putrid history of the program. These issues were present even last season during the most successful run in program history. We have a small, national alumni base which makes drawing crowds difficult. To solve this problem, we launched a campaign to make our program "Chicago's Big Ten Team," the 2nd-favorite team for non-alumni Chicagoland-area residents. Attendance picks up a bit, but we still have issues creating a decent gameday atmosphere. The "purple-preferred seats" are still half-empty during most games, and the stiffs that we get to show up still rarely stand during critical moments in the game, refrain from cheering, and probably average around 60 years of age.

Then we go on our run last year. We win a bunch of games, make the tournament, and announce we're remodeling the arena. We even secured private funding to complete the remodeling! It's all paid for! We didn't need to use any of the school's $10.5 billion endowment! We're riding high. We're media darlings mentioned on ESPN nearly every single day! If there was a prime time to secure new, young season ticket holders, this was it.

So what do we do? We f*** it up. We go and price young people out, including current season ticket holders. A $6,000 "donation" required to get me on the list for a chance to get tickets in my old section? I can't afford that, nor can a lot of people my age. But you know who can? Older folks with deep pockets who probably still won't cheer loudly, still won't stand, and still won't provide the atmosphere that we so desperately need and want.

I get the economic argument behind the "donations." Supply has decreased and demand seems to have increased, so prices will rise. But everyone seems to agree that the main issue with our gameday atmosphere is that our fans don't make noise, don't stand at critical moments in the game, and just generally don't contribute to a great atmosphere. Pricing out young fans with egregiously expensive donations will not improve this. It'll make it much worse. Not to mention that this makes purchasing decent quality season tickets much more unaffordable for younger non-alumni––the same people we were trying to attract with our marketing campaign. I just think it was a dumb idea all-around and that we'll feel it two years from now when the effects of the tournament team wear off.

We're a program with a putrid history, even with last season's success. We've had a history of poor attendance due to the putrid history of the program. These issues were present even last season during the most successful run in program history. We have a small, national alumni base which makes drawing crowds difficult. To solve this problem, we launched a campaign to make our program "Chicago's Big Ten Team," the 2nd-favorite team for non-alumni Chicagoland-area residents. Attendance picks up a bit, but we still have issues creating a decent gameday atmosphere. The "purple-preferred seats" are still half-empty during most games, and the stiffs that we get to show up still rarely stand during critical moments in the game, refrain from cheering, and probably average around 60 years of age.

Then we go on our run last year. We win a bunch of games, make the tournament, and announce we're remodeling the arena. We even secured private funding to complete the remodeling! It's all paid for! We didn't need to use any of the school's $10.5 billion endowment! We're riding high. We're media darlings mentioned on ESPN nearly every single day! If there was a prime time to secure new, young season ticket holders, this was it.

So what do we do? We f*** it up. We go and price young people out, including current season ticket holders. A $6,000 "donation" required to get me on the list for a chance to get tickets in my old section? I can't afford that, nor can a lot of people my age. But you know who can? Older folks with deep pockets who probably still won't cheer loudly, still won't stand, and still won't provide the atmosphere that we so desperately need and want.

I get the economic argument behind the "donations." Supply has decreased and demand seems to have increased, so prices will rise. But everyone seems to agree that the main issue with our gameday atmosphere is that our fans don't make noise, don't stand at critical moments in the game, and just generally don't contribute to a great atmosphere. Pricing out young fans with egregiously expensive donations will not improve this. It'll make it much worse. Not to mention that this makes purchasing decent quality season tickets much more unaffordable for younger non-alumni––the same people we were trying to attract with our marketing campaign. I just think it was a dumb idea all-around and that we'll feel it two years from now when the effects of the tournament team wear off.
Can't you cheer just as loudly while sitting? I do agree with lot of your comments, as I recently found out that a "donation" of $6,000 is required to assure are FB parking pass.

The reason why they don't get up is because there was no room for those ole knees to stand. I don't blame them. I'm starting to feel it in the knees as well lately. Bro, they simply can't get up except if its necessary to go to the bathroom or get out of the stadium. It sucks getting old for us.

At any rate, I was surprised at the prices for tickets this year. Obviously it was a swing and a miss because they only confirmed a few thousand tickets sold to STH.
I don't mind paying the $6,000 if it was a one and done but it isn't. I pay that yearly now but for courtside which I think is a fair price considering tax deduction as well (no deduction this year though). But $6,000 just to sit in the stands and then pay another $2000 for 4 tickets to a non NCAA or non NIT team? Really?
I don't think this thing sells out. I think they go through that alleged waiting list pretty quickly. I Love the cats and I'll continue with my pledge but I'm downgrading to the cheaper seats. I bet many bail out of their pledge just as if it was a charity event pledge. Who the hell wants to drop $5,000-$10,000 per year then another $2,000 for tickets and only have maybe 4 or 5 watchable games? I mean, dude, we schedule absolute suck teams here. Unlike other programs, we can't get a good RPI rating because we schedule suck oppponents. Fine, but I don't want to watch Mississippi Valley State every year along with St Peters or Aunt Bees if I'm paying $10,000+. They should have enough money to bring in the Duke's, Kansas, etc. Don't do their fans like crap and continue scheduling Sisters of the Poor. That worked when fans only paid $275 a year. But nodoby wants to pay $10,000 to only watch 3 or 4 quality games.....If we are even good. C'mon Maaaaannnnnn!

Ticket prices (along with corresponding donation levels) may seem high if you insist on sitting in the lower bowl. Personally, I prefer to have my seats higher anyway for the "big picture" perspective. Prices (and donation levels) in the upper bowl seem quite reasonable to me. To my thinking, the only advantage to the Wilson Club section would be the wider dimensions of the seats. Each to his own.

Ticket prices (along with corresponding donation levels) may seem high if you insist on sitting in the lower bowl. Personally, I prefer to have my seats higher anyway for the "big picture" perspective. Prices (and donation levels) in the upper bowl seem quite reasonable to me. To my thinking, the only advantage to the Wilson Club section would be the wider dimensions of the seats. Each to his own.

I've talked to multiple fans who have been decades-long ticket holders in the lower bowl and are now being priced out of it completely. They are not happy. For those of us used to sitting in the upper deck, on the other hand, it's not a big deal.

Unlike other sports, basketball is IMO better when viewed up close. There's a reason why broadcasters are seated courtside instead of set back from the playing area like in other sports.

I've talked to multiple fans who have been decades-long ticket holders in the lower bowl and are now being priced out of it completely. They are not happy. For those of us used to sitting in the upper deck, on the other hand, it's not a big deal.

Unlike other sports, basketball is IMO better when viewed up close. There's a reason why broadcasters are seated courtside instead of set back from the playing area like in other sports.
yea but check this out. I sit courtside, and from my perspective I can't see the things developing on the north side of the court as I sit on the south side. I can hear all of the smack talk and it's funny as hell, and hear the players calling out other players for blown assignments, but I get limited perspective. OTOH, there is a reason why Doug Collins sits higher, he sees things developing, sees the offense and defense unfold and then gives his son a heads up. But as a fan, nothing like sitting close to the court for me, but the price is severely overpriced for an almost never NCAA tournament team. For that reason, I'm out. I'll drop the $6,000 this year since I got swamped in with emotion and the terrific sales pitch of the program, but I've had time to come to my senses and pick from the more modest seats. There won't be any bad seat in that small arena except maybe the last upstairs. The endzone upper deck extends towards the basket so those seats are actually among the closest seats in the arena and cheapest. For those in the lower bowl, the corner sections appear to offer a good perspective at half the cost. Upper bowl, who can beat the first couple rows?

Not sure who or how this thing is sold out already but the $$$ was only a pledge. I'm following through but my hunch is that a lot of peeps who got caught up in the moment will change their credit card or not pay and reneg on their pledge. Those on the alleged 'waiting list' will definitely be called upon. No doubt in my mind as this team is on meltdown mode. Never mind we lose our 2 best players and will have to work in true freshmen next year. I'm not complaining, I love watching the cats, even back when we had BC. But it wasn't like the prices for tickets only went up 5%, the yearly donation, which is now non deductible, means a 800% jump in most ticket prices. And the new arena was completely paid off by private contributors so not sure what the fuss was to gauge fans??? I mean, sure if they can get away with it, why not? But this product on the court doesn't dictate monster yearly donations. And unless fans start seeing Kansas or Duke on the schedule, nobody is going to drop $6,000 to see Mississippii valley state and the sisters of the poor because are team needs easy wins to compete. I mean, I paid big bucks this year but I'm really only excited to see about 3 or 4 games as our home schedule sucks balls once again. Other than MSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minny, there isn't a helluva lot to get excited about. Our OOC sucked balls other than Creighton maybe. Can't keep scheduling crap games if you want people to pay up to watch a real game. Sorry.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT