ADVERTISEMENT

Disappointed.....Hinton

T_Levine

May 26, 2010
did anyone else notice that Chris Hinton Jr. verbal led to Michigan?

Did we even try and recruit him? Stanford was on his list of final five.

Would have loved to see him in purple like dad. Especially as the #9 overall recruit and number one de in this year's class.

Thoughts.

Never really understood why people thought we'd have a leg up with a kid whose father went to NU in the early 80s.

I get that he was successful at NU and in the NFL, but does anyone think Hinton had a good experience at NU?

Never really understood why people thought we'd have a leg up with a kid whose father went to NU in the early 80s.

I get that he was successful at NU and in the NFL, but does anyone think Hinton had a good experience at NU?

Regardless of his experience at NU, which probably wasn't the best, Hinton Sr maintains good relations with the program and is at least friendly with Fitz.

Regardless of his experience at NU, which probably wasn't the best, Hinton Sr maintains good relations with the program and is at least friendly with Fitz.
That's totally fine, and obviously things are different now, but those experiences are hard to shake, imo. Unless his kid was independently interested, I don't see why Sr. would pump us.

That's totally fine, and obviously things are different now, but those experiences are hard to shake, imo. Unless his kid was independently interested, I don't see why Sr. would pump us.
Don't we have a commit in the 2018 class (Kaiser) whose father played at NU during the dark ages? There's more to the NU experience as a student-athlete than simply wins and losses, but even so, the dark ages of NU football ended over 20 years ago now. Fitz has the second longest tenure among B1G head coaches, and there's a consistency and commitment to success now that's probably unprecedented in the program's history.

Don't we have a commit in the 2018 class (Kaiser) whose father played at NU during the dark ages? There's more to the NU experience as a student-athlete than simply wins and losses, but even so, the dark ages of NU football ended over 20 years ago now. Fitz has the second longest tenure among B1G head coaches, and there's a consistency and commitment to success now that's probably unprecedented in the program's history.
Yes, though he doesn't have the offers Hinton does and he's local.

I agree with everything you said. I'm just saying, overall, I don't expect every son/nephew/cousin etc. to be ours to lose. Different people have different experiences and opinions that we may not always want to see given our purple-tinted glasses. Additionally, the dark ages are long gone, but how how many fans still view us through that light? We'll always be that school to some, sadly.

did anyone else notice that Chris Hinton Jr. verbal led to Michigan?

Did we even try and recruit him? Stanford was on his list of final five.

Would have loved to see him in purple like dad. Especially as the #9 overall recruit and number one de in this year's class.

Thoughts.
Why would any stud come to nu if he wants to be networked with the NFL? Our recruits dont have a list of top 10 stud program offers.

Why would any stud come to nu if he wants to be networked with the NFL? Our recruits dont have a list of top 10 stud program offers.

Yeah, I guess you're right. None of our recruits were highly recruited. Earnest Brown? Nah. Trevor Kent? Nah. Pugh? Nah...

Wait, you're full of sh**.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
Yeah, I guess you're right. None of our recruits were highly recruited. Earnest Brown? Nah. Trevor Kent? Nah. Pugh? Nah...

To be fair, Hinton is slightly higher rated than any of the examples you cite......9th in the nation trumps just about any recruit NU has ever landed. Brown was 218, Kent 418, Pugh 633. Whole different ballgame. JJTBC was 161, Clayton was 190. Even Ifeadi was "only" #68.

Our recruits dont have a list of top 10 stud program offers.

To be fair, Hinton is slightly higher rated than any of the examples you cite......9th in the nation trumps just about any recruit NU has ever landed. Brown was 218, Kent 418, Pugh 633. Whole different ballgame. JJTBC was 161, Clayton was 190. Even Ifeadi was "only" #68.

But that's not what Shivas was arguing.

Reactions: Fitz51

Huh? I dont appreciate your anger, it is uncalled for.
Maybe i missed something but i dont remember getting any top 50 recruits since albreight in 1997 but he reneged.
The reason has everything to do with the nfl. These players want to be professionals.

What was Jeske? I know he was Illinois POY. I know he had back problems and never saw much of the field but Him and Obrien (96?) were highly rated I thought?
Jeske was never rated top 250. Rivals had him at a solid 3 star. Orouke is top 250 as was jackson and thorson but it doesnt appear a bunch of stud programs came calling.

NU offered him. He went to a name program. Probably wanted to make his own name rather than follow his Dad's footsteps. I wish him well.

Some kids want to follow in their dad's footsteps, others want to take their own path (esp. if they share the same name).

Still have hope for the younger Hinton (maybe he'll want to play for dad's alma mater instead of following big bro).

Didn't Bill Carmody get fired over a similar recruiting miss? </s> (ducks)

Nah. JP was itching to get rid of BC and finally got his chance after an injury-riddled season (instead of handcuffing BC by going on a year-to-year basis, should have fired him sooner).

After all, Ethan Happ had 2 NU connections.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT