ADVERTISEMENT

Disappointed there are so many Indiana fans in the crowd.

FeralFelidae

Sep 1, 2003
It looks 50/50 to me, and this is just Indiana.

I thought the theory of a smaller stadium is that the crowd would be purple.

It’s pathetic and makes me question if our fan base and the school itself are really worthy of or can sustain a modern Big Ten program.

Year yes, we do have thousands of very loyal fans including the folks here, but the turnout this year is very very discouraging and this is an era of an arms race toward the Big Time in the Big Ten and I’m not sure we have the fan base to make it credible

• Angry
Reactions: FeralFelidae
It’s pathetic and makes me question if our fan base and the school itself are really worthy of or can sustain a modern Big Ten program.

Year yes, we do have thousands of very loyal fans including the folks here, but the turnout this year is very very discouraging and this is an era of an arms race toward the Big Time in the Big Ten and I’m not sure we have the fan base to make it credible
Shocker, fans don’t like to watch bad teams that play boring football

Indiana's off to their best start ever in generations, so I'm not surprised.

You'd basically expect them to have more fans showing up home/away (last home game for them had higher attendance than a lot of past couple years games).

Indiana's off to their best start ever in generations, so I'm not surprised.

You'd basically expect them to have more fans showing up home/away (last home game for them had higher attendance than a lot of past couple years games).
Our stadium has a capacity of 12,000, our fans had to sell to them for them to be able to show up

Our stadium has a capacity of 12,000, our fans had to sell to them for them to be able to show up
Yeah, I suspect the lasting damage of last year's offseason will take years to overcome and a coach having some consistency here to get back to those levels of purple in the stands with that commitment that we had pre-Covid.

Reactions: cattul
Yeah, I suspect the lasting damage of last year's offseason will take years to overcome and a coach having some consistency here to get back to those levels of purple in the stands with that commitment that we had pre-Covid.
We went 8-5 last season and the games were sellouts to our fans before the season started, tired of the damn excuses

So a bunch of people watching the game on TV are complaining there aren’t enough NU fans at the game. Hardy har har.

How about it. I mean what's worse? An NU fan who sells their tix to opposing fans or an NU fan that doesn't buy tix to begin with.

I wasn't surprised by the number of IU fans. Lots of alums in Chicago and it's their best start in almost 60 years. To be fair the IU fans I encountered were very nice.

How about it. I mean what's worse? An NU fan who sells their tix to opposing fans or an NU fan that doesn't buy tix to begin with.

I wasn't surprised by the number of IU fans. Lots of alums in Chicago and it's their best start in almost 60 years. To be fair the IU fans I encountered were very nice.
The NU fan who sells their tickets to opposing fans. How is that even a question?

Think about it, before last year we had two years of total garbage. The the Fitz situation, and an absent AD and leadership for three years. NU has a deep hole to dig out from to get fans back. Just win baby......

Reactions: TXnumbCAT
Think about it, before last year we had two years of total garbage. The the Fitz situation, and an absent AD and leadership for three years. NU has a deep hole to dig out from to get fans back. Just win baby......
It was this way during the height of Fitz too. I would pay a heavy premium to sit in a section where I knew with certainty I wouldn’t be surrounded by away fans.

It was this way during the height of Fitz too. I would pay a heavy premium to sit in a section where I knew with certainty I wouldn’t be surrounded by away fans.
Get used to it. NU can’t draw large numbers, the fan base is aging, and ticket prices will be going up even more. Went to a non-conference game to experience the lakefront stadium and will probably do the same at the new Ryan Field. With 35,000 seats, you can expect 20,000 opposing fans if the opponent is playing well. 10,000 if they aren’t. They’ve lost me. I still enjoy watching from my comfy chair, but can’t imagine NU winning a B1G title anytime in the next couple of decades.

Reactions: AtlantaCat
It's our own fault. I like the way European fans support their sports teams and wish we would do the same!

We
Get used to it. NU can’t draw large numbers, the fan base is aging, and ticket prices will be going up even more. Went to a non-conference game to experience the lakefront stadium and will probably do the same at the new Ryan Field. With 35,000 seats, you can expect 20,000 opposing fans if the opponent is playing well. 10,000 if they aren’t. They’ve lost me. I still enjoy watching from my comfy chair, but can’t imagine NU winning a B1G title anytime in the next couple of decades.
unless the new AD can pull a horseshoe out of xyz, we have problems

Totally agree. Those who sell their tickets to visiting fans need to have their ticket rights revoked. Period. Draw a line.
I honestly believe in that kind of thing at most places, but we have a catch 22 where most of our fans who even buy tickets don’t give a shit and would tell the office to pound sand, plus we have no choice but to try to solicit many casual local fans on the north shore who would laugh off such a rule

You will always have B1G fans who want to spend the weekend in Chicago, and will spend a little more than usual on tickets to the game...especially when their team is doing well. I'm getting the impression our new leadership wants whoever will shell out $250 for a seat to sit in it, whether their asses are purple or not.

Unfortunately we will never, ever have a fiercely, unconditionally loyal fan base. We just won't. When the chips are down, a significant portion of our fans will check out. We're not talking about anyone here...no one to whom I'm referring will ever read this.

If the shoe were on the other foot, and NU had been rolling into this game ranked #23, undefeated and 13.5-point favorites...there would have been more purple. Shrug.

Reactions: AtlantaCat

NU has a smaller fanbase than many current g6 teams. FCS programs out there with more fans. Look at how weak our social media numbers are compared to other programs.

Very few people care or even notice that NU football exists. That’s is why we will end up on the outside looking in. TV execs can’t wait to push NU out.

My group last year was 10 tickets. Out of those seats, only one is occupied by a person who went to NU. The rest are locals. We attend every game, usually occupying every seat. We donate to the Wildcat Fund every year.

This year, we could get 4 tickets, but we only bought two. We did buy a good number of seats for the Wrigley games. I was the one who could have bought the extra two seats, but let me explain why I didn’t— it is a sh—show stadium set up. I was at the Duke game in the north stands. They did not have down and distance for a good part of the game. I had been to scrimmages in the west stands. The pitch and angle sucks. High school stadiums are better. Why would I want to spend a dime on a ticket? To look at the lake? I did the high rise apartment overlooking the lake. Been there done that. The band? Most junior highs have bigger bands. The concessions and beer garden? I don’t go to games for food and drink. Sorry, but all NU did was try to put lipstick on a pig.

Another reason why folks are not in the stands is that NU treats its fans like crap. When I call the ticket office, it is like I am bothering them. This is if they answer the phone. Everything is always late. I will not hear from my ticket rep until March. They never reach out. My fan appreciation for my Wildcat Fund donation was free admission for one game to the lakefront version of Wildcat Alley. Wow. There is no follow up. You hear nothing about the team. It is utter crap.

I live in a northwest suburb of Chicago. My daughter goes to Baylor. She is a sophomore. We are on year two of season tickets. Last year, I went to three games. This year will be at three games. Last week, we went and saw my daughter for two hours. She has a life and there are things we want to do while in Dallas/Waco.

When we first put in for season tix, we were in the 3rd deck 25 yard line, the Bears Foundation contacted me and told me I contributed $400 or $100 per seat, I could get benefits. Sure. What are the benefits? I get a parking pass, a tailgate with food and non-alcoholic drinks right outside the stadium, access to a coach’s weekly show, a weekly newsletter about the team, and current up to date information. Heck, last week was a 11am game and the food was chorizo and egg tacos, pork tacos, breakfast croissant sandwiches, all sorts of fruits and veggies, all the water or soda you could drink, and you could enjoy that sitting in a tent watching ESPN gameday. Further, the band puts on a twenty minute show before the game, had 20 tubas or sousaphones, plays all game, can be heard, and does a 5th quarter after the game. The team is iffy. After the game, I get an e-mail thanking me for attending the game. We missed one game last year and we did not get an email. They track attendance. We also get surveys and follow up calls from the ticket office. Frankly, Baylor puts much more effort and is more appreciative and considerate of its fans. I dropped more for tix this year to go to the 2nd deck at the 25 and doubled my Foundation contribution. Now, you might say I am spending this money because my daughter goes there or for religious reasons. I am Catholic and they are Baptist and we ignore the theology pitches. After my oldest son graduated, we purchased season tickets for his Alma mater for three years. The experience with that school was pretty similar to our Baylor experience.

I have had Cats season tix since 1996. You can call me a band wagon jumper. Last year was the first time we had a NU grad in our group. Over the years, we were as high as 18 tix and now down to 10. Of those, I had for my family and guests between 8 to 4 tix. The games are 35 to 40 mins from home. We can tailgate with our friends and bring our food and drink. For Baylor, I have to go to O’Hare, hop on a plane, get a rental car, book hotels, and spend money on eating. Some day in the near future I will have to decide which one to keep. Based upon the crap treatment by NU, (I hate to say this, but NU makes the Sox seem like a well run organization) and the comparison to how Baylor treats its fans, I would give NU the heave ho, even though going to Baylor games is 3 times as expensive.

I know this was a long post, but my loyalty can go away quickly. Now maybe some folks will understand why there were more opposing fans than NU.

Reactions: Eurocat

Rittenberg! Nobody likes a loser.

Northwestern is full of followers. Now that U$C - another private school is in the Big Ten - NU is Expendable.

The new stadium is just lipstick on a purple pig.

Buckle up! It’s about to get bumpy ✈️

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT