ADVERTISEMENT

Does Purdue rest guys Sunday?

Kelly_32

Dec 12, 2004
With Wisconsin's loss last night, Purdue clinched the outright B1G title. There's nothing on the line for them Sunday.

If I'm Painter, I rest my guys on Sunday. I give Swanigan and Haas about 10-15 minutes each and reduce minutes for Mathias and the Edwards boys.

With Wisconsin's loss last night, Purdue clinched the outright B1G title. There's nothing on the line for them Sunday.

If I'm Painter, I rest my guys on Sunday. I give Swanigan and Haas about 10-15 minutes each and reduce minutes for Mathias and the Edwards boys.
I doubt it. They will not play again until Friday and need to stay sharp.

Maybe a *little* rest, but not that much. I figure guys who play 32 might play 24-30.

you could say that tournament seeding is still on the line for them. yes, their performance in the B1G tournament will have a much bigger impact, but still. . .

If we do then you guys will most assuredly win. We only have about 8 scholarship players not counting walk-ons that got scholarships when we ended up with extras this season. If we sit a couple of guys the quality of play will go downhill quickly.

Reactions: rmndcat
you could say that tournament seeding is still on the line for them. yes, their performance in the B1G tournament will have a much bigger impact, but still. . .

Purdue is likely at worst a 5 seed, and probably at best a 4. The path through the tournament isn't much different for those seeds. This game won't have a serious impact on that, and Purdue's BTT run will have a much bigger impact on where they end up. An injury to one of their key players at this point in a "meaningless" game for them could seriously impact balance of the season. They already have the conference championship locked up.

I'm taking the Cats. I think Wednesday lifted a bit of weight off these guys and that'll show in a whole new level of hop in their step! Purdue is going down.

Purdue is likely at worst a 5 seed, and probably at best a 4. The path through the tournament isn't much different for those seeds. This game won't have a serious impact on that, and Purdue's BTT run will have a much bigger impact on where they end up. An injury to one of their key players at this point in a "meaningless" game for them could seriously impact balance of the season. They already have the conference championship locked up.

Perhaps more important than whether key players are being rested will be the style of play. I can see Purdue toning down their intensity and aggressiveness to stay away from plays that include a higher risk of injury.

That said, if the Wildcats win I hope they don't jump on each other this time. I'll bet Fitz was cringing when he had to watch from the stands and relive the possibility of seeing the BB NCAA post season also being impacted by a celebration injury ala the Rose Bowl.

Last edited:
Purdue ain't resting players, that would be ridiculous. Like, by that logic Northwestern thinks this game is meaningless too cause we've locked up our tourney bid and can't win the conference title? That's ridiculous. There are only so many games in the CBB season and every single one is important, not the least of which for postseason seeding. Purdue is playing for a top 16 spot which gives them regional preference on location, and maybe a 3 seed which would significantly improve their path.

If you want to stretch you could probably infer that they will be a bit less desperate to win than if they hadn't already clinched the conference title. But it's still the last B1G reg season game for their team, some seniors, and they are on national TV where a lot of tourney voters will be watching. No one is resting starters here, and they will come ready to play. We just have to come ready to play better than them.

Go Cats

Unfortunately, we won't know yet. The Wisconsin game is after ours.

I think we will know at least one little bit: if MSU wins at Mary on Sat, we are out of top 4 picture (both of them would be 11-7 with wins over us)

Yes, but if Wisconsin also wins, we'd get the fourth seed, because it would go down to the tiebreaker of record against Purdue. Or something like that.

Reactions: ricko654321
Yes, but if Wisconsin also wins, we'd get the fourth seed, because it would go down to the tiebreaker of record against Purdue. Or something like that.
Yeah we get the 2nd spot out of a 4 way tie for 3rd behind MSU, so 4th overall.

Wisky would be 12-6 if they win, we need a loss there. I guess the potential for five 11-7 teams would be interesting (MSU > Mary; Minny>Wisk and of course NU > PU = 11-7 for 5 teams)

Wisky would be 12-6 if they win, we need a loss there. I guess the potential for five 11-7 teams would be interesting (MSU > Mary; Minny>Wisk and of course NU > PU = 11-7 for 5 teams)
Oh sorry if Maryland beats MSU I think is what he meant. Maryland vs MSU outcome doesn't matter for us, just the Wiscy Minny outcome. In order to get #4 we need Wisconsin to lose.

Perhaps more important than whether key players are being rested will be the style of play. I can see Purdue toning down their intensity and aggressiveness to stay away from plays that include a higher risk of injury.

That said, if the Wildcats win I hope they don't jump on each other this time. I'll bet Fitz was cringing when he had to watch from the stands and relive the possibility of seeing the BB NCAA post season also being impacted by a celebration injury ala the Rose Bowl.
Which Rose Bowl injury was that? Actually I also hope we celebrate safely on Sunday. Did notice on one of the clips that someone was apparently knocked down under the east basket. Hope everyone is alright.

Which Rose Bowl injury was that? Actually I also hope we celebrate safely on Sunday. Did notice on one of the clips that someone was apparently knocked down under the east basket. Hope everyone is alright.

If I recall correctly, one of the members of player Pat Fitzgerald's team was not able to play in the Rose Bowl due to an injury from a celebratory jump. Fitz himself was of course not able to play due to a broken leg he incurred in the second to last regular season game. Maybe the two are one and the same although I thought Pat's injury was game related.

Sam Valenzisi. Pinned someone back on a kickoff against Wisconsin and I think he tore his ACL jumping up to celebrate.

Field goal doinked off upright in Rose Bowl. Who knows how it would've been different if Sam were healthy?

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Purdue ain't resting players, that would be ridiculous. Like, by that logic Northwestern thinks this game is meaningless too cause we've locked up our tourney bid and can't win the conference title? That's ridiculous.

Thank you. I can't believe we are entertaining this question. This isn't week 17 of the NFL season for a team that has clinched home field throughout.

Reactions: ricko654321

Moving up a seed or two can have a significant effect on your chance to win in the tourney. I just saw a site that listed the NCAA record of 4 seeds vs. 13 seeds as 102-25, while the record of 5 against 12 seeds is 99 is listed as 99-49, so the odds of winning have been considerable higher as a 4 seed.

Reactions: Bwm57
Moving up a seed or two can have a significant effect on your chance to win in the tourney. I just saw a site that listed the NCAA record of 4 seeds vs. 13 seeds as 102-25, while the record of 5 against 12 seeds is 99 is listed as 99-49, so the odds of winning have been considerable higher as a 4 seed.
It's odd how the 5 vs 12 games happen so much more frequently than the 4 vs 13 games...:)

Can't see it. After Spike Albrecht, the 8th man, there are no scholarship players that aren't injured or redshirting. It will be interesting to see their focus level.

There's still an outside shot at a 3 seed if they get to the BTT champ game and some other dominoes fall in front of them.

I don't know how Purdue will view this game but. I can't imagine that the Cats don't want to put an exclamation point on the UM game. Second home game in a row, Senior night. Crowd still into it after the last game. I think it is going to be a rocking affair.

I don't know how Purdue will view this game but. I can't imagine that the Cats don't want to put an exclamation point on the UM game. Second home game in a row, Senior night. Crowd still into it after the last game. I think it is going to be a rocking affair.

Hope so. Because, on paper, it just seems like one of the absolute nut worst matchups for our team.

Hope so. Because, on paper, it just seems like one of the absolute nut worst matchups for our team.

I don't expect victory by any stretch, but I am hoping for it. Neither a close game nor a 15+ point Purdue win would surprise me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT