ADVERTISEMENT

After a night to think about it

PURPLECAT88

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
I am officially in love with this team. They're certainly not the most talented team we've ever see. There's no Vic Law or John Shurna, but damn to they work hard. Every possession on both sides was a war last night.
Boo played 39 minutes as the primary ball-handler against the toughest defense that we're going to see this year, scored 13 points, dished out 7 assists and only had 4 turnovers. He's not a natural defender, but he does not take a play off on defense. None of them do. If you're upset that he's not Cassius Winston or Carson Edwards, well, then you're going to be upset, but as Wildcats go, he's a heck of a lead guard.
Chase continues to be our best player. 37 minutes of making life miserable for the other team.
I've come around on MN. There's a whole lot he can't do, but he never takes a play off. He's diving on the floor as much as any big man since Shon Morris. He hustles from end to end, and I think he's in better shape than he was two months ago. He doesn't seem winded after five minutes the way he used to.
Beran and Berry both came into this program as finesse guys. Who would have thought Berry would turn into this kind of defender and rebounder? And while Beran is not a natural banger, but he's made himself into a good defender.
Brooks and Julian are both dogs, and I mean that in the positive sense. They work hard in their limited minutes and they have no fear. Julian's three-pointer after missing those two free throws was just what we needed. And Brooks backs down from no one.
VerHoeven has appropriately seen his minutes drop, but he's not pouting, and is starting to get on the same page of working hard on defense and never taking a play off.

These guys are not going to win the conference. I don't even know if they are going to make the tournament, but they are giving us fans 40 minutes a night of everything they have. Their fellow students have woken up to what's happening with this team, but their were still an embarrassing number of empty seats last night (Heck, I was the only one in my row!). It's time for the rest of the Wildcat community to embrace this team and get your butts to Welsh-Ryan Arena. Teams like this don't come around that often. It's time to get on the bus.

❤️ Love the post ❤️

After sleeping on it, I have a few comments:

1-Last play, get over it. It was poorly defended for sure. Lowery was probably watching it happen in slow motion in his head and panicking. Definitely not what he envisions in the way of positioning and how to defend that sequence. But defense breaks down, that's why plays are run. Otherwise games would end up in the 30's in scoring. It happened to a team that has been, and was last night, outstanding on defense. It happens.

2-The lack of a timeout. As it was unfolding I was a bit stunned. I wondered if we were out of timeouts. I even wondered if CC was a deer in headlights, blinded by the speed it was happening, not calling a time out because he did not react quickly enough to it. I wondered if it happened by accident and not as a strategy decision. It was probably a decision, but it just shows how much I do not trust CC in such situation.

3-Why did Roper play so much in the 2nd half? Berry was a bright spot for us. Even Barnhizer hit a 3 in the first half. I don't have an explanation. Roper was poor in the first. If I probably watched the game again I could come up with some theories, probably defense based. In the end Roper hit a 3 from the left, a nice jumper from the foul line and the lucky banked shot. It worked out well, but still wondering why he was on the court.

4-I continue to be baffled by our immaturity to close out a game. We bank a 3 that gives us a 4 point lead. With 1:14 to go I believe. So we even got lucky last night. Why can't we just play normally? Our guys are veterans. One game, happens to everyone. But we are consistent on this

5-In the same arena of maturity, that's what counts going forward. Mature teams get punched, get back up and keep fighting. Immature teams get overly affected by disappointment, confidence suffers, and so on. So Sunday is a big game

6-For as much as our defense is stellar, I think we have a glaring weakness: the way we double the post, fast and furious, before dribbles, regardless of opponent. Maybe it's not regardless, but it feels like it. I don't know. Omoruyi is not a great passer and twice we were so quick to double him that he easily found wide open shots for Rutgers. The only team that has really exploited was Pitt and that was a nightmare. We double Dickinson like that and there will be raining threes on our head.

Good thoughts.

Collins explained the lack of time out. Given out struggles in the half court against their defense, I understand the argument against giving them time to set up. I wonder about Berry's minutes as well. I would speculate that he was limited by a nagging something or getting over a cold. Something not at full strength. Collins being an idiot is never my default response.

Every team has to choose what they will allow on defense. You can't stop everything. Against Rutgers we seemed to consciously choose to allow some open threes. Based on their play this season, that makes sense. We held them to 65 points so it wasn't as if the decision was a complete failure.

I am optimistic about this team's maturity. We bounced back well from the Pitt and OSU debacles. Let's see what we can do in two winnable road games.

❤️ Love the post ❤️

1-Last play, get over it. It was poorly defended for sure. Lowery was probably watching it happen in slow motion in his head and panicking. Definitely not what he envisions in the way of positioning and how to defend that sequence. But defense breaks down, that's why plays are run. Otherwise games would end up in the 30's in scoring. It happened to a team that has been, and was last night, outstanding on defense. It happens.

2-The lack of a timeout. As it was unfolding I was a bit stunned. I wondered if we were out of timeouts. I even wondered if CC was a deer in headlights, blinded by the speed it was happening, not calling a time out because he did not react quickly enough to it. I wondered if it happened by accident and not as a strategy decision. It was probably a decision, but it just shows how much I do not trust CC in such situation.

3-Why did Roper play so much in the 2nd half? Berry was a bright spot for us. Even Barnhizer hit a 3 in the first half. I don't have an explanation. Roper was poor in the first. If I probably watched the game again I could come up with some theories, probably defense based. In the end Roper hit a 3 from the left, a nice jumper from the foul line and the lucky banked shot. It worked out well, but still wondering why he was on the court.

4-I continue to be baffled by our immaturity to close out a game. We bank a 3 that gives us a 4 point lead. With 1:14 to go I believe. So we even got lucky last night. Why can't we just play normally? Our guys are veterans. One game, happens to everyone. But we are consistent on this

5-In the same arena of maturity, that's what counts going forward. Mature teams get punched, get back up and keep fighting. Immature teams get overly affected by disappointment, confidence suffers, and so on. So Sunday is a big game

6-For as much as our defense is stellar, I think we have a glaring weakness: the way we double the post, fast and furious, before dribbles, regardless of opponent. Maybe it's not regardless, but it feels like it. I don't know. Omoruyi is not a great passer and twice we were so quick to double him that he easily found wide open shots for Rutgers. The only team that has really exploited was Pitt and that was a nightmare. We double Dickinson like that and there will be raining threes on our head.
Me too! Love ❤️ these guys! Roper needs work!

After sleeping on it, I woke to recall that my dreams were haunted by images of Matt Nicholson standing aside the prow of a Viking warship, holding a giant broadsword aloft. But the wind kept knocking the sword from his hands...

In all seriousness, I loved the game experience last night. We had an off night shooting, but everyone played really hard and we held RU to 58 points with a minute to go. I will take that defensive effort anytime in the B1G.

The shortcomings of this group are well-documented, but they fight like wild dogs and show a steely reserve unseen in recent vintages. Coming back to take the lead was a BIG indication of what this team has inside its heart. Something that should make us proud!

Good thoughts.

Collins explained the lack of time out. Given out struggles in the half court against their defense, I understand the argument against giving them time to set up. I wonder about Berry's minutes as well. I would speculate that he was limited by a nagging something or getting over a cold. Something not at full strength. Collins being an idiot is never my default response.

Every team has to choose what they will allow on defense. You can't stop everything. Against Rutgers we seemed to consciously choose to allow some open threes. Based on their play this season, that makes sense. We held them to 65 points so it wasn't as if the decision was a complete failure.

I am optimistic about this team's maturity. We bounced back well from the Pitt and OSU debacles. Let's see what we can do in two winnable road games.
I also think the call by Collins to not take a timeout was the right one so their defense couldn’t set, and that’s why I lose my mind on those prior possessions when we wait for the shot clock to get down to ten to start our offense. Makes no sense to me. We got some great shots last night by getting some penetration or pass into the paint and then a couple additional passes for open shots. Loved the team’s effort and comeback last night. They were so close. I hope they make these changes going forward as we’ve seen them work in crunch time before.

We can talk about BIG MATT's shortcomings... he needs a lot of work on his release point close to the basket. It is atrocious. Truly atrocious, he goes up like a 12 year old unable to shoot if he does not have both hands on the ball. He misses free throws.

But man Matt is, indeed, a Viking. A warrior. And none of that Dane, Swede or Fin 🐈 types. A true Norge kind.

Thor Vikings GIF by THE BEARD STRUGGLE

And he's more than that, yesterday his passing ability was outstanding.

🎶🎵🎼🎹🥁🎸🎻🎺🎷🎙️🎚️🎛️
He's big, he's bad, his feet stick out of bed. Big Matt... ooo Big Matt

A homage to the legend of Peter Crouch

the robot peter crouch celebration GIF by England

We can talk about BIG MATT's shortcomings... he needs a lot of work on his release point close to the basket. It is atrocious. Truly atrocious, he goes up like a 12 year old unable to shoot if he does not have both hands on the ball. He misses free throws.

But man Matt is, indeed, a Viking. A warrior. And none of that Dane, Swede or Fin 🐈 types. A true Norge kind.

🎶🎵🎼🎹🥁🎸🎻🎺🎷🎙️🎚️🎛️

Wrassler post on steroids

Tremendous coaching job thus far by Collins. Your team is actually better this year
despite the loss of Nance and Young. The way you guys fought back from a 10 point
deficit at that point in the game showed heart for sure. The rematch on March 5 should
be a war

• Haha
Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE2
The rematch on March 5 should be a war
Could be a tournament play-in game for NU. The RAC is the hardest place to play in the B1G, a combination of the atmosphere and RU's playing style. It will need to be a war indeed if NU is to win.

❤️ Love the post ❤️

This is an excellent post.

All 6 points are on target. However, Audige should never have left Spencer and Nicholson should never have gone out to double Mulcahy in the last sequence. We needed to just play man to man and force them to beat us. Bad coaching decision and Rutgers knew exactly what we would do. Had we gone straight man, I don't think they'd have scored, must less gotten a wide open 3 from their only real shooter.

❤️ Love the post ❤️

You mean "second last play". The last play, trailing by one, Boo was out of control and lost the ball*. I love the kid but you can't lose without at least getting off a shot. Of course, RU has a tenacious defense, but I'd rather have a 25 foot brick thrown up (so I can gripe about that) vs seeing Boo, yet again, go flailing into a crowd. It's only one game and it doesn't feel like they will spiral, but I sure wished we'd at least gotten off a shot.

*I was watching on my phone so I don't know if he got fouled. But it looked bad

🎶🎵🎼🎹🥁🎸🎻🎺🎷🎙️🎚️🎛️

Definitely 💯

Reactions: jschufreider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT