ADVERTISEMENT

Duke @ Northwestern Open Thread

I hate how the defense played on that last drive. They played soft. I don't care what the score is, have some pride and play to hold them to 7 points. Not a good sign for the rest of the year.

Reactions: rmndcat and bjm989
good to see a lot of young DBs getting some gametime experience. Looks like with a bigger lead they are letting them play a bit more aggressively at the line.

Williams, McGee, Westphal, Hartage,

Reactions: bjm989
I hate how the defense played on that last drive. They played soft. I don't care what the score is, have some pride and play to hold them to 7 points. Not a good sign for the rest of the year.
Could not agree more It should have been 24-7 or better if we hadn't just played like that last drive. Why let your defense feel like that?

Last edited:
Could not agree more. It should have been 24-7 or better if we hadn't just played like that last drive. Why let your defense feel like that?

I will say the D was much better in the second half. So why not hold them scoreless for the full second half.

Last edited:
I thought X Wash, Hall, and Godwin stood out for their play on defense tonight.

Reactions: bjm989
Really? On TV, looked like he was yelling at someone on the field.

He was talking into the headset. He would still be on the defensive channel for the XP, so believe it was some frustration for the D giving up a late TD playing soft.

I agree with your earlier post MacrayCat. Flynn Nagel is a really bright spot. He catches punts rather than waiving them off. He saves us 7-10 yards at least every punt. He actually catches and returns punts when they are close. He is one tough hombre...I think he is going to be a good receiver too...

yeah and wasted his redshirt last year....

Do the coaches actually intend this? I think you're referring to Hance, but Olson.... sheesh.

Both of our OTs are about as deep as the QB when they engage the DE. It's unlike anything else I see watching other college or pro teams. At this point, it is either how they are being coached or the players not bringing the right technique to game situations (both of which are BIG problems).

I wouldn't have burned his shirt to begin with. He was rushed into action out of pure desperation. When has that worked for us?

Based on what I heard, he had been establishing a rhythm with Thorson and performing well in practice only to suffer a pretty tough injury. Hard to use a magic 8-ball in criticizing our program, but guess I shouldn't be surprised by much nowadays.

Both of our OTs are about as deep as the QB when they engage the DE. It's unlike anything else I see watching other college or pro teams. At this point, it is either how they are being coached or the players not bringing the right technique to game situations (both of which are BIG problems).

If it's obvious enough to be repeatedly criticized on this board, it has to be coaching.

If it's obvious enough to be repeatedly criticized on this board, it has to be coaching.

Tough to tell without actually being in the position meetings. Whether it is the staff's inability to see the problem or their inability to get the players to do anything about it, it's a problem either way.

Based on what I heard, he had been establishing a rhythm with Thorson and performing well in practice only to suffer a pretty tough injury. Hard to use a magic 8-ball in criticizing our program, but guess I shouldn't be surprised by much nowadays.

If that's the case, then fine. It just seems that we have burned some shirts unnecessarily, like Warren Long's.

Burning JJTBC's? Started and contributed from day one. Burning Matthew Harris's? Again, contributed in a major way. Burning Dean Lowry's? He played from day one and contributed big from day one. Nagel, however, I really think that they are going to want that one back later.

If that's the case, then fine. It just seems that we have burned some shirts unnecessarily, like Warren Long's.

Burning JJTBC's? Started and contributed from day one. Burning Matthew Harris's? Again, contributed in a major way. Burning Dean Lowry's? He played from day one and contributed big from day one. Nagel, however, I really think that they are going to want that one back later.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but if they could have seen "well, he will suffer a nagging ankle injury just about the time he's ready to become a bigger part of the team," then Fitz had better negotiate a Nostradomaus clause.

Reactions: Gladeskat
Tough to tell without actually being in the position meetings. Whether it is the staff's inability to see the problem or their inability to get the players to do anything about it, it's a problem either way.

I think even the InsideNU people have repeatedly harped about it and I know at least two assistants read them.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but if they could have seen "well, he will suffer a nagging ankle injury just about the time he's ready to become a bigger part of the team," then Fitz had better negotiate a Nostradomaus clause.

It's the age-old redshirt-burn the shirt argument. Let's say Nagel didn't get hurt. How much would his presence have mattered? Not to slight him, but his appearances in the remaining games would not have swung the outcome whatsoever. I'd rather have had his RS senior year down the road.

It's the age-old redshirt-burn the shirt argument. Let's say Nagel didn't get hurt. How much would his presence have mattered? Not to slight him, but his appearances in the remaining games would not have swung the outcome whatsoever. I'd rather have had his RS senior year down the road.

That's yet more hindsight.

Is Nagel eligible for a medical redshirt? Can't remember when exactly he got hurt last year.

I think even the InsideNU people have repeatedly harped about it and I know at least two assistants read them.

Inside NU people...Now that's ironclad evidence!

Oh, and it was definitely the right thing to burn Nagel's shirt because he would have helped us and seen a lot of playing time last year. Tough break he was injured.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT