ADVERTISEMENT

Duke's Daniel Jones Out Indefinitely

From the stands it looked like Jones landed on his shoulder on the Gaziano sack- AC separation ?

Fractured clavicle
Either one is possible from hat mechanism of injury. But it is rare to operate on an AC separation as it is for a clavicle. So if surgery was needed then the injury must have been significant. Not a good thing for such a good player.

Fractured clavicle
The majority of clavicle fractures will heal without surgery but in the past 15 years plating of fractured clavicles has gained popularity

In my patient population, I treat almost all non-operatively. The major vessels, brachial plexus and even the lung are at risk with surgery. The exception is a fracture of the very distal clavicle, associated with disruption of the coracoclavicular ligaments, this requires surgery

He would miss the entire season treated non-operatively and could return near the end of the season with surgery

He looks like a potential pro so he may comeback this year and play his senior season next year then head to the pros rather than use a redshirt or injury waiver

Last edited:
Either one is possible from hat mechanism of injury. But it is rare to operate on an AC separation as it is for a clavicle. So if surgery was needed then the injury must have been significant. Not a good thing for such a good player.

Surgery may be performed on a clavicle in an effort to get him back on the field faster rather than the severity of the injury

The majority of clavicle fractures will heal without surgery but in the past 15 years plating of fractured clavicles has gained popularity

In my patient population, I treat almost all non-operatively. The major vessels, brachial plexus and even the lung are at risk with surgery. The exception is a fracture of the very distal clavicle, associated with disruption of the coracoclavicular ligaments, this requires surgery

He would miss the entire season treated non-operatively and could return near the end of the season with surgery

He looks like a potential pro so he may comeback this year and play his senior season next year then head to the pros rather than use a redshirt or injury waiver

I am not guessing. The Duke official Twitter account announced this morning that it was a fractured clavicle, that both he and the cornerback had surgery this morning, the cornerback is out for the rest of the year, and Jones is out indefinitely but expected to return sometime this year.

Thanks for the classy responses, which I expect from a classy university and program. Truth.

Gilbert gone for the year. Jones out “indefinitely.” That really sucks for us, but it was a clean hit so what can you do.

Good game, and thanks for the discussion this week. FWIW, I think some are perhaps being overly harsh about your O-line; Duke’s front four is the best it has been since Cut came to Duke. That seemed to be the difference in an otherwise even match,

Best of luck going forward, and hope Coach Collins gets the basketball team to the Final Four. Chris was a great player and coach for us, and loves Chicago. Hell of a guy.

Good luck, y’all. And peace out until our paths cross again.

—OPK

I am not guessing. The Duke official Twitter account announced this morning that it was a fractured clavicle, that both he and the cornerback had surgery this morning, the cornerback is out for the rest of the year, and Jones is out indefinitely but expected to return sometime this year.
What a terrible game for both teams. Quick recovery to all players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT