ADVERTISEMENT

East-West Shrine game

Wonder if they have many guys decline the invite for these all star senior games if they are trying to stay healthy for the draft.

Wonder if they have many guys decline the invite for these all star senior games if they are trying to stay healthy for the draft.

Some do. Mostly the guys that are locks for the 1st round. Anybody who is not a lock to be a first rounder should eagerly accept these invitations. The East West game is usually composed of mid to late round prospects.

I read that the Bears have shown a lot of interest in Austin Carr during the week.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Would you consider AC an Edelman type receiver? If so which pro teams can utilize his abilities the most?

Would you consider AC an Edelman type receiver? If so which pro teams can utilize his abilities the most?

While they're of similar size, Edelman is a much better athlete:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=67858&draftyear=2009&genpos=WR

Edelman's 4.52 40 looks pedestrian by NFL WR standards, but 1.52 10-yard and 2.58 20-yard splits are outstanding. Combined with a 3.92 SS and 6.62 3-cone drill, it's quite easy to see he has short area burst and athleticism despite lacking elite long speed. Even then he was a 7th round pick, though some of that is because he was making a position switch.

Carr would be lucky to come within a stone's throw of those testing numbers. He has production on his side, but the NFL could look at that one year as more fluke than trend (especially when Pitt and others were able to take him out of the game by playing physical).

Carr will at the very least be on a practice squad next season, that's a good start...

Carr will at the very least be on a practice squad next season, that's a good start...

He should get a shot in camps. Not sure whether he will stick on a practice squad, but should have a shot if he wants it.

He should get a shot in camps. Not sure whether he will stick on a practice squad, but should have a shot if he wants it.
NFL is starving for wide receivers who can catch a football. He's a slot, and seemingly limited, but we shall see.

Some do. Mostly the guys that are locks for the 1st round. Anybody who is not a lock to be a first rounder should eagerly accept these invitations. The East West game is usually composed of mid to late round prospects.

I read that the Bears have shown a lot of interest in Austin Carr during the week.
Is Walker playing in any of the post season showcases? If not, why not?

I believe the rule is, you have to have graduated. So if you have graduated early you are eligible even if not a senior.

Given that guys like Watson who graduate in less than four years are extreme exceptions, that effectively limits the games to seniors.

The East-West Game has lost a lot of glitter over the years. It was a high honor to be invited years ago but probably no longer
One of my fraternity brothers played in the 1969 game. I believe his tour of The Shriners' Hospital was what he remembered most about the experience

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
The East-West Game has lost a lot of glitter over the years. It was a high honor to be invited years ago but probably no longer
One of my fraternity brothers played in the 1969 game. I believe his tour of The Shriners' Hospital was what he remembered most about the experience
Guess it has a lot to do with the top guys not participating because of injury fears. These games are likely going to go away in a few years along with some of the lower tier bowl games, for the same reasons.

I think My brother in law played in the 1969 East West Game

My wedding (53+ years ago) has proven to be the low point of our marriage, but one fond memory of the reception in Evanston is an elderly doctor walking around among the guests with an early transistor radio pressed to his ear. He was listening raptly to the broadcast of the Shrine East-West game. That's how big it was then. This was in 1963 and I suspect a Wildcat was playing in the game, but I just appreciated a gentleman who had his priorities in order and didn't give a hoot what any other wedding guest would think about his divided attention.

Either you are saying wonderful things about the rest of your marriage or you have interesting stories about your wedding.

Yeah, I guess that was ambiguously worded. I was in a fog during days before and during the wedding. Not due to drink or any other substance, but I remember almost nothing about it. Felt out of control. Regained awareness and memory soon after and yes, post-wedding marriage has been a joy. Don't regret a moment of it. The first 53 years have been fun but everybody says the next 53 could be very challenging. Bring it on.

I'm not naive, by the way, and know that marriage isn't for everyone. But if it didn't exist, I should wish to invent it.

My wedding (53+ years ago) has proven to be the low point of our marriage, but one fond memory of the reception in Evanston is an elderly doctor walking around among the guests with an early transistor radio pressed to his ear. He was listening raptly to the broadcast of the Shrine East-West game. That's how big it was then. This was in 1963 and I suspect a Wildcat was playing in the game, but I just appreciated a gentleman who had his priorities in order and didn't give a hoot what any other wedding guest would think about his divided attention.

I also got married 53 years ago, while still at NU. My wife worked at NU to help pay my way. Yes, those first few years can get lost in the fog of time. I remember the basic events, but some just passed by too quickly as we we led a hectic life.

I also got married 53 years ago, while still at NU. My wife worked at NU to help pay my way. Yes, those first few years can get lost in the fog of time. I remember the basic events, but some just passed by too quickly as we we led a hectic life.
I"m only at 30 years. Still a newlywed. I remember the engagement being pretty tough and the first year having some challenges but since then we have been in the zone. I also would not have it any other way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT