ADVERTISEMENT

Eating Crow

I was one of those posters concerned about our recruiting. Anyone want to join me in eating this crow? It tastes delicious with a side of humble pie. Go Cats!!

Trust the process . . ..

Once you get past the feathers, it tastes like chicken. I'm there with you!

Go Cats!

I was one of those posters concerned about our recruiting. Anyone want to join me in eating this crow? It tastes delicious with a side of humble pie. Go Cats!!

Trust the process . . ..
To be fair, some of the concern was an extension of last years recruiting where we were left with an open slot. But this puts us in really solid position going forward.

Reactions: IGNORE2
To be fair, some of the concern was an extension of last years recruiting where we were left with an open slot. But this puts us in really solid position going forward.
Oh, trust me, I get it. I shared those same concerns. Gaines is going to be a good one, but there's only one of him. I'm just so glad to be wrong. Shocker, a guy who has had success at every level of this game has a better grasp on recruiting than a Chicago lawyer. . . .Who would have guessed??

Gaines is one of the members of the 2017-2018 class and Rapolas Ivaunauskas, a 6'9"-6'10" 4-star forward is the second member of the 2017-2018 class as a redshirt freshman. A 2 4-star member recruiting class is not anything to get disappointed about. Now there is a good possibility of having a very talented 4-member class for 2018-2019. We are half way there. Now in a four and a half recruiting classes, we have seven four star players who have signed (Law, Falzon, Benson, Ivaunauskas, Gaines, Turner and Nance). That is not including a high three star and NU all-time great PG in BMac and a third team all Big 10 player in Scottie Lindsey and a real PF who has improved every year in Skelly and a solid reserve CG in Jordan Ash who played on an Illinois state champion squad in St. Joseph's. All said, CC has recruited a new level of talent at NU and he and the staff have showed a great ability to develop that talent.

Gaines is one of the members of the 2017-2018 class and Rapolas Ivaunauskas, a 6'9"-6'10" 4-star forward is the second member of the 2017-2018 class as a redshirt freshman. A 2 4-star member recruiting class is not anything to get disappointed about. Now there is a good possibility of having a very talented 4-member class for 2018-2019. We are half way there. Now in a four and a half recruiting classes, we have seven four star players who have signed (Law, Falzon, Benson, Ivaunauskas, Gaines, Turner and Nance). That is not including a high three star and NU all-time great PG in BMac and a third team all Big 10 player in Scottie Lindsey and a real PF who has improved every year in Skelly and a solid reserve CG in Jordan Ash who played on an Illinois state champion squad in St. Joseph's. All said, CC has recruited a new level of talent at NU and he and the staff have showed a great ability to develop that talent.

8 4-stars, depending on site. Lathon.

Gaines is one of the members of the 2017-2018 class and Rapolas Ivaunauskas, a 6'9"-6'10" 4-star forward is the second member of the 2017-2018 class as a redshirt freshman. A 2 4-star member recruiting class is not anything to get disappointed about.

Yeah, I can't understand why so many insist that the '18 class is just one member. If you go by new additions to the program, it's two (Gaines and A.J. Turner). If you go by freshman eligibility, it's also two (Gaines and Ivaunauskas). There's no world where the class is only one.

There's no world where the class is only one.
No one ever said the 2018 class is just one. It is the 2017 class, which contains only Gaines.Turner cannot play in 2017-18, while Gaines can. So in reality Turner is a 2018 recruit, joining incoming players Nance and Lathon. Or with just 2 years of remaining eligibility, he is a 2015 recruit.

As I've said all along, the sky was never falling -- but the concern at the time was justified. Because it was just that: concern. Now that NU has commitments from two very good players, that concern is largely gone. But as the end of Thad Motta's career at OSU has shown us: recruiting never ends, and good momentum can turn to bad pretty quickly, despite your track record. Having said all that, I'm excited. It's good to be a Wildcat.

I wonder if one of the lessons CC learned while working with Coach K is that the really excellent recruits prefer a little privacy in the process. It seems like we don't hear very much until things are imminent one way or the other. I could see that as part of building a bond of personal trust.

we have seven four star players who have signed (Law, Falzon, Benson, Ivaunauskas, Gaines, Turner and Nance).
I just remember Law's comments we he signed. It was something to the effect of I will be the first of many.

Maybe I was the one to which you were referring. I think we have really hit a couple home runs for the next recruiting season that will hopefully build with the momentum.

But, to clarify, we have two out of three available scholarships filled for the 17-18 recruiting season. When I hear about RETURNING students that did not burn a year of eligibility, I think about the talking heads saying, as a trade deadline approaches, that the team added because so&so is coming off the DL. The team has the same number of bodies. Injuries force decisions, remove options, etc. That happened last year and probably is bound to happen this year. And if it does, then, once again, we start one schollie player down.

I like our roster assuming full health, I really love our direction. But I still think we are one BMac injury away from a dead season. Unlike Walkee, I do not see Ash as a viable option at PG for a contender. I also am in the group that sees Brown as a 2, not a 1. Same with Gaines and Lindsey. So I really, really hope we see a fifth year transfer that can serve as primary ball handler and distributor at an average to above average level - if only as an insurance policy. As well as 2018-19 is going, 2017-2018 was largely a big miss. But there are still a few months until school starts.

Maybe I was the one to which you were referring. I think we have really hit a couple home runs for the next recruiting season that will hopefully build with the momentum.

But, to clarify, we have two out of three available scholarships filled for the 17-18 recruiting season. When I hear about RETURNING students that did not burn a year of eligibility, I think about the talking heads saying, as a trade deadline approaches, that the team added because so&so is coming off the DL. The team has the same number of bodies. Injuries force decisions, remove options, etc. That happened last year and probably is bound to happen this year. And if it does, then, once again, we start one schollie player down.

I like our roster assuming full health, I really love our direction. But I still think we are one BMac injury away from a dead season. Unlike Walkee, I do not see Ash as a viable option at PG for a contender. I also am in the group that sees Brown as a 2, not a 1. Same with Gaines and Lindsey. So I really, really hope we see a fifth year transfer that can serve as primary ball handler and distributor at an average to above average level - if only as an insurance policy. As well as 2018-19 is going, 2017-2018 was largely a big miss. But there are still a few months until school starts.

The more I consider the 17/18 class, I think it is pretty good. Hard to sell limited to no playing time to Top 50 or even 100 recruits at NU. Kansas, Kentucky, etc., maybe, but not NU, not yet. AJ Turner is a great pickup as he will be able to be an immediate wing contributor with major experience and a year of learning CC's system in 18/19. Gaines looks like a real sleeper recruit, just plain underrated. So, we have two very good options to pick-up where Scottie leaves off after this season. Brown and Ash are still there in 18/19 in case Lathon is not quite ready yet, or more veteran leadership is required at times on the court. I get pretty excited thinking about the possibilities of lineups / match-ups in 2018/19:

Lead: Lathon, Brown, Ash
Wing 1: Turner, Gaines
Wing 2: Law, Nance
Stretch: Falzon, Rap
C: Pardon, Benson

That's some pretty sick depth and still room for potentially 2 more studs to join this squad. I mean... wow!! There's a ton of athleticism and scoring potential in this group unlike anything seen to date at NU. It'll come down to how hard they work and their ability to play D.

Backward Bobby strikes again. I am not high on Ash. As a 12th man on the roster, he brings more athleticism than we have seen at NU. As for Brown, he is the primary backup to BMac for the 2017-2018 season. There will be a big development in his game from freshman to sophomore. Too bad you have no clue in basketball evaluation to figure that out. BTW, Caleb Swanigan was a first round NBA pick (no. 26) and BTN Player of the Year and Isaac Haas will not come close to that level of production and will be a first round pick. Nice try on basketball analysis. But a failure again.

Backward Bobby strikes again. I am not high on Ash. As a 12th man on the roster, he brings more athleticism than we have seen at NU. As for Brown, he is the primary backup to BMac for the 2017-2018 season. There will be a big development in his game from freshman to sophomore. Too bad you have no clue in basketball evaluation to figure that out. BTW, Caleb Swanigan was a first round NBA pick (no. 26) and BTN Player of the Year and Isaac Haas will not come close to that level of production and will be a first round pick. Nice try on basketball analysis. But a failure again.

Ok, last one for today. Let Go Cats - kick some Illini butt!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT