ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN post bowl power ranking

Reactions: Noah121
NU at #27; PSU 4, Wisconsin 7, Stanford13, Iowa 23, Michigan 24 and before you get too upset, Michigan State 32.

I don't understand the first thing about how these rankings are created but not sure how you could have 4,5 and even 6 loss (FSU, Texas - barf) ahead of 10-3 teams from the big ten.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings
Ha yeah that's a total joke. But just FYI this is a quantitative metric not a subjective one. It's an ESPN one that is dumb enough that it actually takes recruiting class rankings into account, believe it or not. It's like it is literally designed to overrate the SEC and certain power programs. That ranking loves Iowa bc if their one blowout win over OSU, and Mich FSU Texas cause of recruits and other silly stuff.

OSU Wisconsin and PSU are clearly the top 3 in the conference and all top 10 in the country. MSU and NU are a clear 4-5 in the B1G, I had us edging them out for the last few weeks on the h2h tiebreaker but after their dismantling of Wazzu I would put them just ahead of us, both teams in the 14-16 range. Iowa I would put in the low 30s and Mich in the ~35 range. Purdue at 40 or so. After those 8 it gets pretty ugly for the bottom of the B1G.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
Not hard to figure... gotta have large fan base programs in the list to get people dumb enough to pay for that type of garbage content subscribe and read it in order to help them feel better about their lives for a few minutes.

I believe that with continued winning, Chicago will slowly but surely come to embrace the Cats, at least when not playing their team. At least that's my hope!

Reactions: ricko654321
I get tired of the Michigan love despite the facts. Did anyone at ESPN watch their bowl game? Dismal, unmotivated, a quarterback from hell, etc. Harbaugh capped off the debacle with what one can only perceive as sarcasm when he referred to the continued "...pursuit of excellence." How can ESPN still be on that bandwagon?

Not hard to figure... gotta have large fan base programs in the list to get people dumb enough to pay for that type of garbage content subscribe and read it in order to help them feel better about their lives for a few minutes.

I believe that with continued winning, Chicago will slowly but surely come to embrace the Cats, at least when not playing their team. At least that's my hope!
Well fpi isn't subscriber content, but otherwise yes I suppose.

Ha yeah that's a total joke. But just FYI this is a quantitative metric not a subjective one. It's an ESPN one that is dumb enough that it actually takes recruiting class rankings into account, believe it or not. It's like it is literally designed to overrate the SEC and certain power programs. That ranking loves Iowa bc if their one blowout win over OSU, and Mich FSU Texas cause of recruits and other silly stuff.
Somebody creates the quantitative model, so it is subjective in the sense that someone chooses which data to include in the model. This model blows.

Including recruiting rankings to boost the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 is all you need to know about the agenda that went into these numbers.

The only thing that should be taken account in "power rankings" is what happened on the field.

Wins-losses, strength of schedule/record, offensive/defensive stats, scoring differential, whatever else that happened in the games is fine.

But recruiting rankings? Just laughable.

Reactions: NU Houston
Bear in mind that ESPN and the SEC are co-owners of the SEC network. I believe that ESPN owns 80 percent. It behooves ESPN to promote the SEC whenever it can, and it does it frequently.

Somebody creates the quantitative model, so it is subjective in the sense that someone chooses which data to include in the model. This model blows.
I mean, wasn't that the whole point of my post...? The inputs do suck, that's exactly what I said haha. My point was that it's not someone subjectively choosing to prop certain teams up this year, it's them choosing to create a model that props up certain types of teams in general.

And PS to follow up on the subscriber question, as I said earlier this isn't subscriber content but that you are right in principle -- it's to draw more viewers in for more advertising dollars.

Just think a few of you are disagreeing with me for misguided reasons when my whole point is that it's a BS ranking system.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT