ADVERTISEMENT

Evaluating Academic Importance On National Signing Day, LINK! Coach Fitz & NU Kudos Again!

Dec 25, 2006
Good Luck NU Fans in 2017 Season.
Excerpts:
“Education was a major factor why my sons chose Northwestern,” says Henry Queiro, whose sons Kyle and Cameron accepted offers to play for the Wildcats in 2013 and 2014, respectively. “We raised them to realize that sports was just a platform for getting a top-notch education, and that hitting the books would always be the first priority in our household.”...............“What Northwestern offers to students was a huge selling point to me three years ago,” states Queiro, who also strongly considered Duke and Vanderbilt. “Some players look at education as a backup plan, but that was never the case with me. Having that degree is essential for propelling me to the jobs I’ll be seeking in my field. Plus, the alumni network here is a phenomenal resource for young guys like me. Schools like Northwestern, Duke and Vanderbilt have such pride in their curriculum and put education at the forefront of their pitches, which is awesome.” What makes the Northwestern model so successful is that there’s a buy-in at all levels, from university president Morton Schapiro and each of the school deans to head football coach Pat Fitzgerald. This is a tight, singularly voiced collaboration of leadership, and the message is being heard loud and clear from prospective students and their parents. “You know, Fitz is just amazing,” says Henry Queiro, an engineer whose foundation, Educating Athletes, teaches young people how to leverage their athleticism to build a brighter future beyond football. “He really gets it. His first presentation to us parents was like nothing I’d ever seen before. He didn’t even discuss football, focusing instead on how Northwestern was going to help set the boys up for the rest of their lives. We really believe in that school an that program.”.............More At Link
LINK:
https://campusinsiders.com/news/academic-importance-signing-day-01-31-2017/

Great read. For those of you wondering what "fit" looks like from a recruiting perspective, this should help codify it. The university is quite clearly aligned and committed to this concept, but dedicating significant institutional resources to our student athletes means little if the individual is not committed to leveraging them. As Fitz noted in his presser, the "football part" is easy. The tougher part of the staff's due diligence is determining if the student has the values, will, and commitment to leverage the resources.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
In contrast, how many NU football student athletes distributed anything close to those instagram communiques broadcast by incoming Abalama recruits with pics showing these individuals holding wads of $100 bills and leaning against a hot brand new vehicle, like was reported in another thread on this football message board. There is a core value differential between the two programs (NU & Abalama); one which, if one did the due dilligence necessary to generate a "where are they now" report regarding these same individuals 10 years hence, would make for some exceedingly interesting 20-20 news fodder. FItz has chanted his mantra: "NU isn't for every athlete" from day one as NU's HC specifically to this point. I wonder what spin-doctored message would come from Nick Saban's office regarding those reprehensible "gansta culture" instagram pics of his incoming 2017 recruits and what those instagrams underscore regarding their what's important to those athletes as they transition to the next level of athletic competition.

In contrast, how many NU football student athletes distributed anything close to those instagram communiques broadcast by incoming Abalama recruits with pics showing these individuals holding wads of $100 bills and leaning against a hot brand new vehicle, like was reported in another thread on this football message board. There is a core value differential between the two programs (NU & Abalama); one which, if one did the due dilligence necessary to generate a "where are they now" report regarding these same individuals 10 years hence, would make for some exceedingly interesting 20-20 news fodder. FItz has chanted his mantra: "NU isn't for every athlete" from day one as NU's HC specifically to this point. I wonder what spin-doctored message would come from Nick Saban's office regarding those reprehensible "gansta culture" instagram pics of his incoming 2017 recruits and what those instagrams underscore regarding their what's important to those athletes as they transition to the next level of athletic competition.

Hey, Waterboy, glad to see you're alive. Just called you, got voicemail of course, do you know how to do personal messages?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT