ADVERTISEMENT

Expectations for the run game in the coming weeks

freewillie07

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2017
NU is in a strange position with its run game — which Fitz called “yuck” this week.

In the first three weeks of the season, Larkin ran for 346 yards on 72 carries (4.8 ypc) against mediocre/bad defenses. He of course is no longer an option.

Against Michigan, Moten had 36 yards on 13 carries (2.8 ypc). Vault had 18 yards on 7 carries (2.6 ypc). Against MSU, Vault had 6 yards on 10 carries (0.6 ypc). Obviously both of these defenses are really, really good.

So, my question: what do you expect to see from the Moten-Vault backfield against Nebraska and Rutgers? What is realistic? How much of the dropoff do you attribute to playing superior defenses, versus the dropoff in skill after Larkin?

I think my heart rate will be a lot lower tomorrow if the Cats can get some explosive plays from the RBs.

My irrational hope is that Drake Anderson has a breakout game against Neb.

Including busting out several long runs reminiscent of his old man.

What I don’t understand is why Moten is looking so mediocre now when he played so well as JJ’s backup two years ago. I realize he has had some injuries in the meantime and that the OL two years ago may be better than the current line. Still, I do not understand the regression.

NU is in a strange position with its run game — which Fitz called “yuck” this week.

In the first three weeks of the season, Larkin ran for 346 yards on 72 carries (4.8 ypc) against mediocre/bad defenses. He of course is no longer an option.

Against Michigan, Moten had 36 yards on 13 carries (2.8 ypc). Vault had 18 yards on 7 carries (2.6 ypc). Against MSU, Vault had 6 yards on 10 carries (0.6 ypc). Obviously both of these defenses are really, really good.

So, my question: what do you expect to see from the Moten-Vault backfield against Nebraska and Rutgers? What is realistic? How much of the dropoff do you attribute to playing superior defenses, versus the dropoff in skill after Larkin?

I think my heart rate will be a lot lower tomorrow if the Cats can get some explosive plays from the RBs.
Anderson!

What I don’t understand is why Moten is looking so mediocre now when he played so well as JJ’s backup two years ago. I realize he has had some injuries in the meantime and that the OL two years ago may be better than the current line. Still, I do not understand the regression.
He's also did little when he returned kickoffs. Injued?

If I'm not mistaken, Larkin retired just as we were about to play two of the best run defences in the nation, including the #1 ranked run defense.

Our OL sucks, but the RBs should do a lot better against Nebraska and Rutgers.

Reactions: DaCat
If I'm not mistaken, Larkin retired just as we were about to play two of the best run defences in the nation, including the #1 ranked run defense.

Our OL sucks, but the RBs should do a lot better against Nebraska and Rutgers.

Agree and not sure how much more Larkin would've done against the two Michigans.

If the line can open up some holes, I would like to see both Vault and Anderson take a decent number of carries.

No running plays up the middle unless we detect a weakness in the DL/LB. Okay, they're supposed to keep the D honest, but over the years we have wasted way too many plays with our RB slamming into our Center's butt.

Our OL will play better and Mr. Moten is much better than most have given him credit for being at this point in the season. I like Vault to have a few explosions as well. We will become a better rushing team as the season continues.

Well he was running behind a late season OL and so far it has been behind an early season OL. For whatever reason, they have come out of the gate slow over the last few years and improved somewhat as the season has gone on. Larkin and JJ were somewhat different kinds of runners in that they had the ability to set up blocks and take advantage of what was there while Moten etc have needed more traditional blocking

Reactions: drewjin
I think NU is going to throw 40+ times every game from here on out. Illinois and Minnesota excepted, perhaps.

Visions of the Kafka-Zeke-Mick offense.

Reactions: willycat
I think NU is going to throw 40+ times every game from here on out. Illinois and Minnesota excepted, perhaps.

Visions of the Kafka-Zeke-Mick offense.

Hoping to see more games that resemble the MSU game. NU finally found an identity as a passing team. CT looked masterful at times and the WRs seemed in sync w him for the first time.

The NU running game is a weakness and should be used only to keep the opponents' pass rush a little cautious.

Screens could be big these next few games.

Hoping to see more games that resemble the MSU game. NU finally found an identity as a passing team. CT looked masterful at times and the WRs seemed in sync w him for the first time.

The NU running game is a weakness and should be used only to keep the opponents' pass rush a little cautious.

Screens could be big these next few games.

So you think NU’s running game is bad now, and it’s not because they were up against two very strong run defenses?

Genuinely curious — do people really not think Moten and Vault can get 4.8 ypc (Larkin’s average in three games) against Nebraska and Rutgers?

I think he is a straight ahead back who needs a lot of touches to get into gear. He gets better between the tackles as the game goes on. He will never look good with 4 touches and slow developing run plays.

So you think NU’s running game is bad now, and it’s not because they were up against two very strong run defenses?

Genuinely curious — do people really not think Moten and Vault can get 4.8 ypc (Larkin’s average in three games) against Nebraska and Rutgers?
They will do better! Larkin wasn’t his best. We got Nebraska and Rutgers! We will pound em!

Yup, some of pur posters don't realize that OL is JUST a bit of a trouble spot on many teams. And I would not swap our OL with Nebby's right now...
They are finally moving people are and finding better fits but the biggest problem is our line was severely out of shape during the Mike riley era. Also Frost wants to pull and move at Oregon level speed. Cant do that with big fatties who cant move at all. Our left tackle is legit but that's about it.

This was my fear.

Nebraska’s run defense is awful and yet NU has 36 yards on 17 attempts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT