Berry357063+7+5.3+6.7
Buie367162+9+2.9+4.7
Barnhizer357064+6+2.1+3.3
Preston1+54+1+0.7+0.9
Martinelli295854+4-1.0-0.2
Nicholson224335+9-2.2-0.6
Hunger111826-8+0.5-1.1
Langborg304552-7-8.3-9.7

Big win for the Wildcats over in the middle of Pennsylvania. Once again, Ty Berry played very well.
Boo Buie had another good game and Brooks Barnhizer bounced back into form, despite 5 turnovers.

My score predictor said NU 75 PSU 71, so I'm pleased with that.

Ryan Langborg did not have a good night. This is a bit of a concern. When he was on the bench, NU outscored Penn State 31-20 in a mere 10 minutes of action. Thats a 124-80 pace for 40 minutes.
When Langborg was in the game, we scored only 45 points and allowed 52 in 30 minutes. Thats a 60 - 78 pace. Not good.
Regarding the centers, this was a night where NU played much better with Nicholson at the 5.
The lineup I have been calling "our best" i.e. Nicholson/Martinelli/Barnhizer/Berry/Buie finally got 7 minutes of playing time.
That group turned a 55-49 deficit into a 60-55 lead with an 11-0 run midway through the 2nd half. For the game that lineup won 19-8 in almost 7 minutes of action.
For the season, they've now played 25 minutes and have buried our opponents 62-25.

Our other hot lineup (Hunger/Barnhizer/Berry/Langborg/Buie) did not fare well against PSU, getting beat 10-5 in almost 5 minutes of action.
Notably, the old starting lineup (Nicholson/Barnhizer/Berry/Buie/Langborg) had a 2nd consecutive strong showing, outscoring PSU 13-8 in 6 minutes+.
The old starters beat up on Michigan State last time out 23-11 in 8 minutes+.

Gotta give props to the Penn State backcourt. Kanye Clary torched us for 25 points and Ace Baldwin stole the ball from us a mind-numbing EIGHT times.
There just wasn't enough talent around them to overcome Northwestern.
Our ball-handling against pressure and two quick guards was a bit of a wake-up call, but thankfully the Big Ten doesn't play that way, in general.

Good win for the Cats. Next stop Madison. Oh, and there's a Mount Nittany overlooking the Penn State campus...

Great stuff, and it definitely felt like Nicholson's time on the floor was really good for NU, despite how hard many of us have been on him this year. Glad the numbers back it up.

I assume your spreadsheets have season totals for all the lineups as well. I know you've mentioned the "best" lineup several times, but any chance we can see that for the season (or at least the important opponents) some time soon?

What was the +/- for the period in the 2nd half when Martinelli played 5?
For the game, the small lineup won 10-7 in about 5.5 minutes.
The last 2:30 was just for ball-handling and free throws, but we "lost" that segment 7-6, while holding the lead.

Collins otherwise did that when PSU went small, so I can't criticize because the PSU small lineup struck me as weak.

Last edited:
Not sure if Langborg’s night was really a concern. He had a godawful game but one game isn’t a trend. He also showed veteran poise where he came back off the bench, where he’d been stuck for struggling, and made several key poise plays down the stretch that were a major piece of finishing off the win.

His drawbacks athletically are always going to be something to watch, but I don’t think we need to panic about his horrible offense for one game. Honestly I appreciate that on a night one of our three main second fiddle guys was totally terrible the other two just played huge games and Martinelli played well two.

Langborg did come up with some critical defensive stops and some amazing offensive heroics late in the game, including forcing a turnover in the paint on an entry pass that NU recovered to protect their 2-3 pt lead. Tough player fighting through an off-night to contribute meaningfully to a big road win…

PlayerMinutesNU PtsPSU PtsRaw +/-Player AdjustGame +/-
Berry357063+7+5.3+6.7
Buie367162+9+2.9+4.7
Barnhizer357064+6+2.1+3.3
Preston1+54+1+0.7+0.9
Martinelli295854+4-1.0-0.2
Nicholson224335+9-2.2-0.6
Hunger111826-8+0.5-1.1
Langborg304552-7-8.3-9.7

Big win for the Wildcats over in the middle of Pennsylvania. Once again, Ty Berry played very well.
Boo Buie had another good game and Brooks Barnhizer bounced back into form, despite 5 turnovers.

My score predictor said NU 75 PSU 71, so I'm pleased with that.

Ryan Langborg did not have a good night. This is a bit of a concern. When he was on the bench, NU outscored Penn State 31-20 in a mere 10 minutes of action. Thats a 124-80 pace for 40 minutes.
When Langborg was in the game, we scored only 45 points and allowed 52 in 30 minutes. Thats a 60 - 78 pace. Not good.
Regarding the centers, this was a night where NU played much better with Nicholson at the 5.
The lineup I have been calling "our best" i.e. Nicholson/Martinelli/Barnhizer/Berry/Buie finally got 7 minutes of playing time.
That group turned a 55-49 deficit into a 60-55 lead with an 11-0 run midway through the 2nd half. For the game that lineup won 19-8 in almost 7 minutes of action.
For the season, they've now played 25 minutes and have buried our opponents 62-25.

Our other hot lineup (Hunger/Barnhizer/Berry/Langborg/Buie) did not fare well against PSU, getting beat 10-5 in almost 5 minutes of action.
Notably, the old starting lineup (Nicholson/Barnhizer/Berry/Buie/Langborg) had a 2nd consecutive strong showing, outscoring PSU 13-8 in 6 minutes+.
The old starters beat up on Michigan State last time out 23-11 in 8 minutes+.

Gotta give props to the Penn State backcourt. Kanye Clary torched us for 25 points and Ace Baldwin stole the ball from us a mind-numbing EIGHT times.
There just wasn't enough talent around them to overcome Northwestern.
Our ball-handling against pressure and two quick guards was a bit of a wake-up call, but thankfully the Big Ten doesn't play that way, in general.

Good win for the Cats. Next stop Madison. Oh, and there's a Mount Nittany overlooking the Penn State campus...
Agree it was a strong game for Nicholson, he stepped up his game.

What worries me about Lanborg is his home/away splits

The two Big 10 games at home he shot 12 for 24, which is amazing.
On the road he is 9 for 35. Two Big10 games, DePaul and Arizoma St

Brooks and Nick picked up the slack against Penn St.

Something to watch as the season goes on.

Not many options since Mullins and Clayton were developed in non league game. Other coaches try or seem to let the new guys play through issues in non league games for this occasion.

Boo and Ty have been dependable and that helps.

Since we rotate 5 players thru 4 positions, I looked at the results when each player is sitting...
The small ball lineup is a separate thing. (that lineup is 56-44 for the season)

Langborg on bench has produced a 124 - 86 advantage.
Martinelli on bench has produced a 412 - 358 advantage.
Barnhizer on bench has produced a 52 - 61 disadvantage.
Berry on bench has produced a 98 - 94 advantage.
Buie on bench has produced a 57 - 62 disadvantage.

This means we play relatively better when Langborg sits, compared to sitting Martinelli.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT