ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Camp

gocats8992

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2022
Does fall camp start earlier this year with our first game being at the end of August?

Walked by the lake....

Looks like Sullivan is in the lead for QB1. Hilinski had a amazing stretch with a long TD to Dennis among many nice plays.
What makes you say that? Was Sully or Hilinski with the starting OL, skowronski, Schmidt, etc?

Reactions: Inovacat
I'm glad to hear the rumors that Sullivan is doing well, but I refuse to believe that there's any real chance he'll be the starter, until I see him named starter on Fitz's twitter or see him on the field in Ireland.

I just don't think Fitz is going to start a QB with zero college experience in a foreign country in a B1G west game when he's got a guy with significantly more experience in Hilinski.

If we do see Sullivan out there, I'll take it as a good sign since it'll imply he won the competition convincingly.

Reactions: mountaindrew
I'm glad to hear the rumors that Sullivan is doing well, but I refuse to believe that there's any real chance he'll be the starter, until I see him named starter on Fitz's twitter or see him on the field in Ireland.

I just don't think Fitz is going to start a QB with zero college experience in a foreign country in a B1G west game when he's got a guy with significantly more experience in Hilinski.

If we do see Sullivan out there, I'll take it as a good sign since it'll imply he won the competition convincingly.
Hilinski’s experience includes a 56-7 loss to Nebraska, but I’d agree that he’s still the favorite to start.

The last NU-developed QB worth a thing was thrown to the wolves at Stanford, and won the game with his legs (and Hank’s D.)

So, I hope Sullivan earns it.

Reactions: No Chores
Hilinski’s experience includes a 56-7 loss to Nebraska, but I’d agree that he’s still the favorite to start.

The last NU-developed QB worth a thing was thrown to the wolves at Stanford, and won the game with his legs (and Hank’s D.)

So, I hope Sullivan earns it.
Ya but Hilinski played well against Nebraska last year. He didn’t get any help from the O line and running game. Our offense this year is going to be ground and pound with the 2 headed monster RBs and then mix in play action to Washington and BK. Hilinski showed at times last year and during his time at USC that he can be very efficient with that type of offense cuz the running game takes pressure off him

What makes you say that? Was Sully or Hilinski with the starting OL, skowronski, Schmidt, etc?
The Friday practice are very chaotic and fast moving. I saw Sullivan play behind the Skoronski-Priebe-Schmidt-Rowley-Wiederkehr o-line. Hilinski was behind the second team o-line. Might have been rotating back and forth but I'm not sure. LTs on the team are Skoronski, Herzog, Edwards and Tiernan. RTs are Wiederkehr, Thompson and Skidmore. Foster was facilitating drills and Franks not yet full participate in practice. Everyone else was full participant.

The Friday practice are very chaotic and fast moving. I saw Sullivan play behind the Skoronski-Priebe-Schmidt-Rowley-Wiederkehr o-line. Hilinski was behind the second team o-line. Might have been rotating back and forth but I'm not sure. LTs on the team are Skoronski, Herzog, Edwards and Tiernan. RTs are Wiederkehr, Thompson and Skidmore. Foster was facilitating drills and Franks not yet full participate in practice. Everyone else was full participant.

Great info here. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Rebel II
On defense for the 1s, I saw the following:

DL - Ademawore, Holmes, Butler, R.Johnson
LB - Gallagher, Mueller, Metz
CB - Mitchell, Hollis, T.Johnson
S - Azema, Heard, Turner

A. Hampton, J. Joseph, and W. Davis I did not see or possibly missed but should be in the mix too.

Also, no surprise but Saka will likely play meaningful snaps this year. Just a guess based on what i saw.

S - Azema, Heard, Turner

A. Hampton, J. Joseph, and W. Davis I did not see or possibly missed but should be in the mix too.

Also, no surprise but Saka will likely play meaningful snaps this year. Just a guess based on what i saw.
That’s 13 players in the starting unit. I guess you meant they were rotating in the 1s. Good to see the transfers in the DL rotation, suggests we upgraded. Maybe even better to see Garnett Hollis and Theran Johnson step up. Who is Turner? Does that mean Hampton got beat out? LBs look scary. Maybe hope we are 4-2-5 after all. Surprised the Pitt and Duke transfers weren’t out there. Maybe a better sign to see the youngsters instead over players that had some starts at other P5 schools.

S - Azema, Heard, Turner

Thanks for sharing. Heard is playing safety now? If I recall correctly, he was playing the "star" position some last year in the 4-2-5 setup.

I'd be a little surprised to see Butler starting on the D-line, since he was buried last year behind some guys that were having a rough time. But he's shown some potential before when we've seen him on the field.

That’s 13 players in the starting unit. I guess you meant they were rotating in the 1s. Good to see the transfers in the DL rotation, suggests we upgraded. Maybe even better to see Garnett Hollis and Theran Johnson step up. Who is Turner? Does that mean Hampton got beat out? LBs look scary. Maybe hope we are 4-2-5 after all. Surprised the Pitt and Duke transfers weren’t out there. Maybe a better sign to see the youngsters instead over players that had some starts at other P5 schools.
Yes, there was rotating in and out. It's Devin Turner and he's a true freshman. In terms of who was there and not, don't take this as the definitive list. It's possible the Duke and Pitt transfer were there too, but I didn't see them since everything moved so quickly.

Reactions: corbi296
Thanks for sharing. Heard is playing safety now? If I recall correctly, he was playing the "star" position some last year in the 4-2-5 setup.

I'd be a little surprised to see Butler starting on the D-line, since he was buried last year behind some guys that were having a rough time. But he's shown some potential before when we've seen him on the field.
Lou V in a free article on this site said the starting CBs were Mitchell and Hampton and starting Safeties were Azema and Heard.

S - Azema, Heard, Turner

Wow. VERY high quality info, Mkilla. You da man. Thanks very much, especially for the OL and DL details.

Obviously only a couple days into camp, and a very small sample, so all your sightings don't mean anything definitive, but nonetheless, a few noteworthy items to me:

- Rowley with the 1s at RG. He's a fourth year guy, so that's where he should be. Hopefully it means he's putting it together and stepping up his game. I thought Thompson might be his main competition, with Franks pushing Wiederkehr at RT, but mkilla reports Thompson at RT.
EDIT: almost forgot. What about Picozzi?

So what does that mean, that Wiederkehr, Franks AND Thompson are all at RT? Total guessing here. Most likely they just like Thompson at tackle and want to develop him there. But there might be a little more to it. Such as, maybe Franks won't be ready for week 1, and we need to see how ready Thompson is at RT. If he's very good, maybe Wiederkehr moves over to RG?

- Franks still not full go. That's disappointing. Would like to know, Coral, if they're being careful with him, limiting his reps, or he won't be ready for a while? I know, I know, non-disclosure yah dee yah dah. Asking anyway.

- Herzog at LT. A lot of us expected to see him inside. So that's interesting. Wouldn't be surprised if he moves around in practice this season as they figure out where he fits.

- Ben Wrather. No mention. I assume because he's inside at C or G, or both, which you didn't detail. I have hopes that he could push his way into a starting spot this year, or at least be the top inside sub.

- Ryan Johnson at DE with the ones, ahead of McLaughlin. A little surprised because I thought Johnson would line up inside, along with Holmes and Barndt. If he can play at a decent starter level on the outside in the 4-3, that would give us a lot more depth at DE. We would still have McLaughlin, O'Rourke and Pate (and possibly Hubbard, Cameron, Saka, Olges, AND Coleman) pushing for reps. That's a lot of guys to give reps to these next two weeks. Not even counting Kenny Soares. Yowza.

- Butler starting at DT. Just happy to see that, after he seemed to be banished from the rotation last year. I really have no clue who stands where at DT, or more bluntly, do we have anybody who can play? Really curious who will be the top 4 in two weeks.
EDIT: no mention of Jason Gold. Still not healthy? Zoinks.

- Hollis at CB. That's where I've been expecting him to line up, even though others have suggested he'd be at S. With Heard moving to S, this makes sense.

Some other things caught my attention, but that's plenty for now. Really hope somebody else can take a walk along the bike path and give a report in a few days.

Last edited:
Yes, there was rotating in and out. It's Devin Turner and he's a true freshman. In terms of who was there and not, don't take this as the definitive list. It's possible the Duke and Pitt transfer were there too, but I didn't see them since everything moved so quickly.
Love to hear it. Along with SaKa, Was my defensive pick to click on signing day for the class of 2022.

Last edited:
Wow. VERY high quality info, Mkilla. You da man. Thanks very much, especially for the OL and DL details.

Obviously only a couple days into camp, and a very small sample, so all your sightings don't mean anything definitive, but nonetheless, a few noteworthy items to me:

- Rowley with the 1s at RG. He's a fourth year guy, so that's where he should be. Hopefully it means he's putting it together and stepping up his game. I thought Thompson might be his main competition, with Franks pushing Wiederkehr at RT, but mkilla reports Thompson at RT.
EDIT: almost forgot. What about Picozzi?

So what does that mean, that Wiederkehr, Franks AND Thompson are all at RT? Total guessing here. Most likely they just like Thompson at tackle and want to develop him there. But there might be a little more to it. Such as, maybe Franks won't be ready for week 1, and we need to see how ready Thompson is at RT. If he's very good, maybe Wiederkehr moves over to RG?

- Franks still not full go. That's disappointing. Would like to know, Coral, if they're being careful with him, limiting his reps, or he won't be ready for a while? I know, I know, non-disclosure yah dee yah dah. Asking anyway.

- Herzog at LT. A lot of us expected to see him inside. So that's interesting. Wouldn't be surprised if he moves around in practice this season as they figure out where he fits.

- Ben Wrather. No mention. I assume because he's inside at C or G, or both, which you didn't detail. I have hopes that he could push his way into a starting spot this year, or at least be the top inside sub.

- Ryan Johnson at DE with the ones, ahead of McLaughlin. A little surprised because I thought Johnson would line up inside, along with Holmes and Barndt. If he can play at a decent starter level on the outside in the 4-3, that would give us a lot more depth at DE. We would still have McLaughlin, O'Rourke and Pate (and possibly Hubbard, Cameron, Saka, Olges, AND Coleman) pushing for reps. That's a lot of guys to give reps to these next two weeks. Not even counting Kenny Soares. Yowza.

- Butler starting at DT. Just happy to see that, after he seemed to be banished from the rotation last year. I really have no clue who stands where at DT, or more bluntly, do we have anybody who can play? Really curious who will be the top 4 in two weeks.
EDIT: no mention of Jason Gold. Still not healthy? Zoinks.

- Hollis at CB. That's where I've been expecting him to line up, even though others have suggested he'd be at S. With Heard moving to S, this makes sense.

Some other things caught my attention, but that's plenty for now. Really hope somebody else can take a walk along the bike path and give a report in a few days.

Still very early…so take some of this with a grain of salt. Rowley had a solid Spring so he may have the lead out of the clubhouse…give Picozzi some time to get his legs under him. Guys like he and Pate did not play in the Spring so they wouldn’t just be penciled in as started. Surprised to see Butler over Gold…might be an injury, but who knows. Thrilled to see us developing some depth on the OL. Lots of young guys will need to step up next year as we lose a bunch of experienced guys…fortunately we have some very strong prospects in the pipeline.

Reactions: mountaindrew
It’s nice to see Dennis and GHP out there making plays. We need one of those larger WRs to step up this year. Could definitely help with red zone offense

Reactions: ricko654321
Walked by the lake....

Looks like Sullivan is in the lead for QB1. Hilinski had a amazing stretch with a long TD to Dennis among many nice plays.
This is some great info. Thanks!

Last edited:

There is picture up on twitter showing Ben Wrather under center with the backups:

In the last photo, the defender is Story (95), and the RB is Tyus (7), who maybe has dropped some weight this year?

The lineman are LG D'Antonio (63), C Wrather (71), RG Picozzi (75), and RT Thompson (56).

There is picture up on twitter showing Ben Wrather under center with the backups:

In the last photo, the defender is Story (95), and the RB is Tyus (7), who maybe has dropped some weight this year?

The lineman are LG D'Antonio (63), C Wrather (71), RG Picozzi (75), and RT Thompson (56).
Story looks like a beast! I really hope he turns out to be a force on the line

So at least for now it appears Rowley has beaten Picozzi for the starting right guard spot. I'll take that as a good sign that Rowley made some gains. If Thompson is healthy he will be a huge boost to our depth since Franks can't seem to stay healthy.

Reactions: Arlcatsfan
So at least for now it appears Rowley has beaten Picozzi for the starting right guard spot. I'll take that as a good sign that Rowley made some gains. If Thompson is healthy he will be a huge boost to our depth since Franks can't seem to stay healthy.

As we all know, OL will get dinged, and who's who in the rotation will change. So I'll be very curious who's lining up with the 1s, and with the 2s, in two weeks.

Regarding center, I wonder how close Ben Wrather is behind Charlie Schmidt? Something to keep an eye on. Wrather was the swing guy last year, I recall him seeing time late in the year at all three inside positions, due to so many guys being banged up. Wouldn't be surprised if he's also in the mix at RG with Rowley and Picozzi.

As we all know, OL will get dinged, and who's who in the rotation will change. So I'll be very curious who's lining up with the 1s, and with the 2s, in two weeks.

Regarding center, I wonder how close Ben Wrather is behind Charlie Schmidt? Something to keep an eye on. Wrather was the swing guy last year, I recall him seeing time late in the year at all three inside positions, due to so many guys being banged up. Wouldn't be surprised if he's also in the mix at RG with Rowley and Picozzi.
I'm a little surprised they have Wrather playing interior, especially center. When he was recruited, I recall him being touted as a stud tackle. At 6-6 310 he has nice size, but more typical for a tackle and not a center. I guess it doesn't matter, the coaches think he's better on the interior apparently.

I wouldn’t count on that lasting.

Because Picozzi is better and much more experienced.
Better based on what? We haven’t seen Rowley on the field in either a game OR a practice. Don’t care about 2020. Care about now. People lament the time it takes to get OL on the field and we are finally getting some of the older guys in the mix.

I would be surprised if any of out transfers are difference makers. competitive depth that hopefully lights a fire under guys that have more physical talents.

Reactions: gocats8992
Better based on what? We haven’t seen Rowley on the field in either a game OR a practice. Don’t care about 2020. Care about now. People lament the time it takes to get OL on the field and we are finally getting some of the older guys in the mix.

I would be surprised if any of out transfers are difference makers. competitive depth that hopefully lights a fire under guys that have more physical talents.

Rowley played last season. I expect (hope) Picozzi to be an update. Despite his injuries, he’s played far more games than Rowley. Can see Rowley as a starter next season.

Reactions: DaCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT