ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Camp

Rowley played last season. I expect (hope) Picozzi to be an update. Despite his injuries, he’s played far more games than Rowley. Can see Rowley as a starter next season.
I'm looking for Rowley and Picozzi to compete for that spot. We don't know how much Rowley has improved, now in his 4th year in the program and after playing six games last year/ starting two, and I wouldn't be surprised if he won.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Better based on what? We haven’t seen Rowley on the field in either a game OR a practice. Don’t care about 2020. Care about now. People lament the time it takes to get OL on the field and we are finally getting some of the older guys in the mix.

I would be surprised if any of out transfers are difference makers. competitive depth that hopefully lights a fire under guys that have more physical talents.
Better based on the 40 starts he has had at the D1 football level including a few games that I watched him play on Tv.

if Rowley had shown even a moderate amount of promise, the staff would have played him over the last couple of seasons. He barely saw the field despite our putrid OL play. At this stage of his career, that’s pretty telling.

Reactions: NUCat320
Better based on the 40 starts he has had at the D1 football level including a few games that I watched him play on Tv.
When you watched his game on TV did he stand out to you? You didn't know he was transferring to NU yet so I wonder how much you paid attention to him.

When you watched his game on TV did he stand out to you? You didn't know he was transferring to NU yet so I wonder how much you paid attention to him.
Go back and check my posts. I was advocating for the staff to target Picozzi as a grad transfer two seasons ago when he left Temple. I thought he would be a nice fit for us.

Go back and check my posts. I was advocating for the staff to target Picozzi as a grad transfer two seasons ago when he left Temple. I thought he would be a nice fit for us.
👍

I'm looking for Rowley and Picozzi to compete for that spot. We don't know how much Rowley has improved, now in his 4th year in the program and after playing six games last year/ starting two, and I wouldn't be surprised if he won.
Absolutely. An open competition is appropriate. I was only expressing an opinion that I think it’s highly likely Picozzi ends up starting in that spot.

Absolutely. An open competition is appropriate. I was only expressing an opinion that I think it’s highly likely Picozzi ends up starting in that spot.
I get it. I'm glad we have some quality options for improving the OL. If Picozzi is the answer at RG and plays at a high level, that would be a huge boost to our offense. Last year that position was the weakest link in a subpar line.

Fitz said they would know internally who the starting QB is within 7-10 days after camp starts. Has anyone taken more walks along the lake?

Yes Sir. And I agree with you, Corbi, on your assessment of Rowley's progress in the program up till now. Not so encouraging. But, some guys do make a leap late in their careers, hoping Rowley is doing that this year.

Either way, we need both to be high quality starters. Somebody on the interior OL will get dinged at some point, same at tackle most likely, and whoever starts the season as a "2", will get called on. IMO, every team basically needs 7 "starters" on the OL to get through a normal season without a big drop off.

I'm hoping that Wrather at C/G, Picozzi/Rowley RG, and either Franks or Thompson at RT can play at a starter level when called on this year, if not beat out the guy in front of him now.

Last edited:

Hilinski seems weird in this interview and not in a good way. If any of you watch the Bacherlotte this season with your respective wives or mistresses, it's a trainwreck.

Hilinski seems weird in this interview and not in a good way. If any of you watch the Bacherlotte this season with your respective wives or mistresses, it's a trainwreck.

Huh? Did we watch the same interview? I found him to be incredibly poised, confidant, focused and motivated. I feel much better about the QB position after listening to Ryan speak.

Huh? Did we watch the same interview? I found him to be incredibly poised, confidant, focused and motivated. I feel much better about the QB position after listening to Ryan speak.
I agree with @CoralSpringsCat. I feel a lot better and more excited about Ryan and having him as our QB1. You can tell he really cares about the team and winning. Also, sounds like he’s going the extra mile and has a lot more confidence with the offense. Looking forward to watching him play this year!

As this board’s self-proclaimed Bachelorette expert, this guy is way more of an Aven or a Tino, and way less of a Whaboom (callback!), “guard and protect your heart,” or a “Chris the mentality coach.”

I thought he did a nice job.

Ryan Hilinski seemed to have won the #1 job as he worked with the 1s all of practice.
Punt returners are Kirtz and Navarro, C. Johnson is the short man.
Jack Olsen looked solid kicking field goals. Looked like he split the uprights everytime.
A couple notable DTs and Safeties seem to be dinged up. Hopefully, they will be ready for Ireland.

Ryan Hilinski seemed to have won the #1 job as he worked with the 1s all of practice.
Jack Olsen looked solid kicking field goals. Looked like he split the uprights everytime.
A couple notable DTs and Safeties seem to be dinged up. Hopefully, they will be ready for Ireland.
Thanks for the update. Not too thrilled to hear about the injuries, but that's part of football.

Thanks for the update. Not too thrilled to hear about the injuries, but that's part of football.

Any update on Mangieri? I recall you reporting that it was unlikely he’d be healthy enough to play in Ireland.

Thanks for the update. Is it looking like Johnson is the other DE opposite of Tommy? Pate is behind Tommy?

Any update on Mangieri? I recall you reporting that it was unlikely he’d be healthy enough to play in Ireland.
Mangieri was upgraded from street clothes to uniform (minus helmet and jersey) and doing cardio drills on an exercise bike and ropes. His demeanor made it seem like he might be ready for Dublin.

Lang (88) and Gordon (87) were the starters and Lang caught a TD in the endzone (Hilinski pass).

Johnson is in the rotation at DE along with Tommy, McLaughlin, and O'Rourke. Pate is in the second string with Coleman, Hubbard and Cameron.
Any of the new linemen stand out? Saka? Soares?

Johnson is in the rotation at DE along with Tommy, McLaughlin, and O'Rourke. Pate is in the second string with Coleman, Hubbard and Cameron.
Thanks for all the great info. Is practice usually in the mornings this year?

Still have concerns about the front 7 for this year. I'm feeling better about the secondary, although that Purdue Wrigley game is still lingering in my memory. And praying for one of the WRs to have a breakout year a la Zeke or AC80. All reports seem to be positive on the running game and indicate an OL that is at the least improved.

The DE rotation seems to be coming together. Hoping DT is also in order. Who are we looking at there? Holmes, Butler, Gold, Story?

The DE rotation seems to be coming together. Hoping DT is also in order. Who are we looking at there? Holmes, Butler, Gold, Story?
Expect Barndt and Olges to be in the mix too hopefully. Concerned that injuries might hurt an already shaky interior line.

Skoronski-Priebe-Schmidt-Rowley-Tiernan OLINE

Veteran off day I bet for Ethan.
Do Johnson McLaughlin or O'Rourke have the speed and or power to be effective at sacking the quarterback or I'm passing Downs will they put someone else in? Just curious what people think that know these players better than I do.

Do Johnson McLaughlin or O'Rourke have the speed and or power to be effective at sacking the quarterback or I'm passing Downs will they put someone else in? Just curious what people think that know these players better than I do.

I’d look for an adjustment on passing downs. Wouldn’t shock me to see a guy like Tomi move inside and some of the younger edge players get a chance (Soares and Saka come to mind).

Wait a minute, don't mean to be a dork, just need to clarify this. Above you have four guys listed in the DE rotation, the four we all expect (Pate would be the fifth) .... except that we have heard - I think from you - that O'Rourke has moved inside to DT. Is he now taking reps outside?

And then in your second sentence, you name Pate and the others as "second string". When actually, O'Rourke and either McLaughin or Johnson are second string. There can't be four DE "starters". Pate and the other guys are third string.

So specifically, I'm asking: Johnson is playing DE, right? Not DT. And did you indeed see O'Rourke lining up and taking reps at DE, NOT at DT?

Fans wanna know.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaCat
Wait a minute, don't mean to be a dork, just need to clarify this. Above you have four guys listed in the DE rotation, the four we all expect (Pate would be the fifth) .... except that we have heard - I think from you - that O'Rourke has moved inside to DT. Is he now taking reps outside?

And then in your second sentence, you name Pate and the others as "second string". When actually, O'Rourke and either McLaughin or Johnson are second string. There can't be four DE "starters". Pate and the other guys are third string.

So specifically, I'm asking: Johnson is playing DE, right? Not DT. And did you indeed see O'Rourke lining up and taking reps at DE, NOT at DT?

Fans wanna know.
I thought everyone at NU was dork unless you were in Sigma Chi.

Johnson is playing DE from what I've seen and not DT.

The first DE group is Johnson, Tommy, McLaughlin, and O'Rourke. I understand that the one deep only has two DEs listed. Semantics.

Pate is not in the picture in terms of playing time. Coleman, Hubbard and Cameron are ahead.

DT
1. Holmes is for-sure starter.
2. Butler started during the first week but was on the Mangieri rehab plan this week.
3. Next two: Story and Spencer.
4. Next two: Olges and Flakes.
5. Last two which I didn't see in the scrimmage but are full strength: Firestone, Barndt
6. Gold - looks like he's on the path to playing shortly based on the other players that he was working with the first week.

Also, expect a bunch of DE to play some DT including McLaughlin and O'Rourke, and maybe Tomi as CoralSpringsCat says on passing downs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT