ADVERTISEMENT

Falzon transfering

I don't think Falzon transferring indicates much.

He's finished his four years at NU/Evanston and wants another experience/opportunity.

Iffy if he was going to start/get big minutes. I personally loved his game but don't know the extent of his health issues.

My son loves his school out in Colorado and he's received a good education, but there's now way he'd go there for grad school.

Last thought is that perhaps the reason we care about a senior moving on is because the talent has improved under Collins and we don't want to lose talent. I think the last similar concern was Drew whose family lives in the area.

I've been thinking about who might have pushed for this transfer more, Collins or Falzon. There's still no clear answer or argument for one side despite the length of this thread. But your last thought seems salient from Collins' perspective. Any minutes for Falzon next year would come from minutes otherwise given to Nance, Robbie Beran, or Jared Jones, who are all more important to the program's future. Losing any of those guys would spark a much bigger crisis.

I've been thinking about who might have pushed for this transfer more, Collins or Falzon. There's still no clear answer or argument for one side despite the length of this thread. But your last thought seems salient from Collins' perspective. Any minutes for Falzon next year would come from minutes otherwise given to Nance, Robbie Beran, or Jared Jones, who are all more important to the program's future. Losing any of those guys would spark a much bigger crisis.
We have realize the scholarship is a four year deal not a five year deal. I think Collins sits down with him and they both go over the facts. Falzon, a really good guy, has been injured a great deal. He has no lateral movement, is limited in dribbling the ball, and does not appear to have much lift. All these injuries have limited his speed. He was very mediocre this year except for one game. The answer in my mind is simple, he should move on and in all probability transfer to lower major program in the Northeast, maybe a Siena or someone like that where he gets minutes. The younger guys get the minutes here.

Reactions: Pukecat
So does Trump - still like your theory?

If we win Akron and Duke, if we win ISU and WMU (MN should have been won that year too), you would be talking about a team with four straight years of 10 wins. You would have been talking about a team regularly in the top 25 and probably in and out of the Top 10, maybe flirt w Top 5 appearances.

You would have really great arguments to persuade nationally recognized talent that NU is a legit nationally relevant FB program (that might just get into the playoffs with the way things are going) and an internationally recognized top academic institution.

Your program would be desirable by any assistant coaching candidate. You would beat Michigan, Stanford for recruits regularly - not occasionally. You could compete with the Clemsons and Alabamas for the smarter, high level talent. 10 wins a year over four years is a great program. 9, 10, 7, 10 is a pretty good one that has had some good years. 10 wins every fricking year is a team worth noting.

If my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle.

Either way, Fitz is a proven winner.

We have realize the scholarship is a four year deal not a five year deal. I think Collins sits down with him and they both go over the facts. Falzon, a really good guy, has been injured a great deal. He has no lateral movement, is limited in dribbling the ball, and does not appear to have much lift. All these injuries have limited his speed. He was very mediocre this year except for one game. The answer in my mind is simple, he should move on and in all probability transfer to lower major program in the Northeast, maybe a Siena or someone like that where he gets minutes. The younger guys get the minutes here.

Sure - if we get some more guys in. We can already forget redshirting anyone. We have three true frosh that have never played the number of games making up a college season. We have seen the freshman wall time and again.

Nobody knows if Young is a legit B1G player. Even if you wanted to play Benson heavy minutes, you would have the problem of his foul prone nature. So, with the existing expected 10 scholarship and one walkon player, how do you see 200 minutes distributed? What about late in the season as the freshmen wear down? What happens after the first season ending injury? How about two or three guys banged up as the B1G season gets rolling? And God forbid that the only unsigned commit doesn't come to Evanston.

It just seems to me, that with 10 scholarship players, there are minutes to go around. Unless CCC knows about some unannounced grad transfer or 2019 class additions, telling Falzon to move along seems pretty short sighted. I give CCC more credit than that - I think Falzon decided to jump off the ship and look for something that might get him dancing next year.

Sure - if we get some more guys in. We can already forget redshirting anyone. We have three true frosh that have never played the number of games making up a college season. We have seen the freshman wall time and again.

Nobody knows if Young is a legit B1G player. Even if you wanted to play Benson heavy minutes, you would have the problem of his foul prone nature. So, with the existing expected 10 scholarship and one walkon player, how do you see 200 minutes distributed? What about late in the season as the freshmen wear down? What happens after the first season ending injury? How about two or three guys banged up as the B1G season gets rolling? And God forbid that the only unsigned commit doesn't come to Evanston.

It just seems to me, that with 10 scholarship players, there are minutes to go around. Unless CCC knows about some unannounced grad transfer or 2019 class additions, telling Falzon to move along seems pretty short sighted. I give CCC more credit than that - I think Falzon decided to jump off the ship and look for something that might get him dancing next year.
Skipping through your usual rant about10 scholarship players in the first 2 paragraphs, I'm with you on this probably being more Aaron wanting to play. After his time at NU he probably wants to be somewhere that he can get serious minutes. And good for him!

I doubt Dancing enters in the decision process though. He'll likely end up in a 1-bid league and its a complete crap shoot which school in such a league gets to the Dance. I seriously doubt Rap picked Colgate because he "expected" to go Dancing.

Skipping through your usual rant about10 scholarship players in the first 2 paragraphs, I'm with you on this probably being more Aaron wanting to play. After his time at NU he probably wants to be somewhere that he can get serious minutes. And good for him!

I doubt Dancing enters in the decision process though. He'll likely end up in a 1-bid league and its a complete crap shoot which school in such a league gets to the Dance. I seriously doubt Rap picked Colgate because he "expected" to go Dancing.
Right , but he goes from “1 in 50 shot” to “1 in 12 shot, and better if I pick a good program”.

I wouldn’t be averse to NU going after an unsigned (or, say, MAC-committed) high school senior, though I realize this class is already unbalanced with four coming in.

Reactions: IGNORE
Right , but he goes from “1 in 50 shot” to “1 in 12 shot, and better if I pick a good program”.

I wouldn’t be averse to NU going after an unsigned (or, say, MAC-committed) high school senior, though I realize this class is already unbalanced with four coming in.

Four? I see two signed and one verbal. Did I miss a commit?

Four? I see two signed and one verbal. Did I miss a commit?
He is counting Young in the freshman class because he redshirted. As for the rest of your previous post, I’m sure there will be a couple of grad transfers filling the 11th and 12th spots.

What would you prefer?

I think I have made that pretty clear. In FB - either for PF to bring a great gameday assistant coach and be willing to learn and also get over the damn obsessive loyalty, or move up to AD and let's bring in a hot upcoming FB coach with proven recruiting, game day and development skills and no particular attachments to staff.

I think I have made that pretty clear. In FB - either for PF to bring a great gameday assistant coach and be willing to learn and also get over the damn obsessive loyalty, or move up to AD and let's bring in a hot upcoming FB coach with proven recruiting, game day and development skills and no particular attachments to staff.

So...being a proven winner and an amazing representation of the school isn’t good enough for you. Got it. Personal vendettas are more important to you than someone who wins and represents the school amazingly well. Got it. Things are starting to make sense now...

Reactions: mikewebb68
That's the Honorary Vassar ghost schollie. Real good programs don't need 13, duh!

If Vassar taught us anything, it's that taking someone just to fill an empty slot is often worse than leaving the slot empty.

Reactions: NJCat
So...being a proven winner and an amazing representation of the school isn’t good enough for you. Got it. Personal vendettas are more important to you than someone who wins and represents the school amazingly well. Got it. Things are starting to make sense now...

They sure are. I can only imagine the number of participation trophies preciously displayed in your home. Agree to disagree. MOAR.

sure - sign a mac quality kid so they can never play and 1) bitch about CCC not recruiting well enough to compete in the big ten 2) kid transfer and bitch about kids transferring?

haha

The one thing I respect above all else with Collins is that he doesn't fill the roster with the best 13 he can get into NU.

Collins only gives scholly's to kids he thinks are Big Ten players. Even the ones who fizzle out have something at a Big Ten level.

It's an education for the administration....a living history of why NU did not make the tournament earlier.

sure - sign a mac quality kid so they can never play and 1) bitch about CCC not recruiting well enough to compete in the big ten 2) kid transfer and bitch about kids transferring?

haha

Haywood, you might have to suit up for practice, maybe even a game or two, if they get an injury or two.

The one thing I respect above all else with Collins is that he doesn't fill the roster with the best 13 he can get into NU.

Collins only gives scholly's to kids he thinks are Big Ten players. Even the ones who fizzle out have something at a Big Ten level.

True, especially after he learned he can't just run the misses off.

falzon wasn't either until his body gave up for 2 years

There have been a good # of players who had injury issues and yet, were able to contribute over the course of their careers - VV, Cobb, etc.

Falzon had an OK frosh season (scoring efficiency was on the lower side), where he was pushed into the starting lineup due to Law's injury.

But even when Falzon was healthy this season, and had every opportunity to grab the starting spot at the 4, he wasn't able to (had 1 very nice game, but that was pretty much it).

There have been those dismissive of Tap's (who had his own injury issues) contributions, but Falzon hasn't been able to be the kind of shooter from the outside the arc that Tap happened to be.

There were those who thought Falzon would be coming back, but not surprised at all that he decided to transfer.

Going to a lower level program will likely mean a greater chance of playing time and who knows? Maybe he'll end up in the NCAAs (like Rap) before the 'Cats.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT