ADVERTISEMENT

Falzon transfering

I'm confused. What does it matter how much the ND AD is paid compared to PF?

OTOH, JP is right behind the ND AD at #2. Good for him! Capitalism works!

PPD pointed out that FB coaches make more than ADs. Well, there is one on par w PF. So, my argument was to note it’s possible for PF to become AD without a paycut.

Reactions: NJCat
Tell me this Bob. Why would Fitz prefer the AD job to the Head Coach job? I never opined on whether he was qualified to be an AD at NU or any other school. I have no idea if he is, but I do know he is qualified to be a Head Coach. Maybe you think the Green Bay interest this off season was fake news or the Michigan inquiries before that.

I thought this post was about Falzone?

It seems to have twisted as the talk turned to FB. Anyway, he is as qualified to be AD as he was qualified to become HC many years ago.

Being in charge of all the teams sounds like a promotion to being in charge of the FB team. Plus less time on the road recruiting means more time for his family.

Who knows what he wants. I’m just theorizing it would make sense for many reasons.

Consider this: JP is gone. Morty rumored to be in consideration for USC. What happens if new prez is not athletics oriented? Hmmm, any precedent there? Hires another Taylor like AD and steers NU athletics towards academics? You want that?

But if JP and Morty insert known quantity of PF into AD before they depart, only a fool would try to unseat him. And we all know PF would have none of a course headed back to the Dark Ages.

It seems to have twisted as the talk turned to FB. Anyway, he is as qualified to be AD as he was qualified to become HC many years ago.

Being in charge of all the teams sounds like a promotion to being in charge of the FB team. Plus less time on the road recruiting means more time for his family.

Who knows what he wants. I’m just theorizing it would make sense for many reasons.

Consider this: JP is gone. Morty rumored to be in consideration for USC. What happens if new prez is not athletics oriented? Hmmm, any precedent there? Hires another Taylor like AD and steers NU athletics towards academics? You want that?

But if JP and Morty insert known quantity of PF into AD before they depart, only a fool would try to unseat him. And we all know PF would have none of a course headed back to the Dark Ages.
If all of the departures did take place, wouldn’t Morty and JP be involved in the search process for replacements. At least JP on the AD side?

If all of the departures did take place, wouldn’t Morty and JP be involved in the search process for replacements. At least JP on the AD side?

No idea. But say JP leaves first. Hand picks his replacement. Then Morty leaves and his replacement is a no sports guy. New prez wants his guy at AD and replaces the new AD.

My point is that could not happen with PF at AD nor would PF agree with policies to diminish the competitive growth of the FB program.

No idea. But say JP leaves first. Hand picks his replacement. Then Morty leaves and his replacement is a no sports guy. New prez wants his guy at AD and replaces the new AD.

My point is that could not happen with PF at AD nor would PF agree with policies to diminish the competitive growth of the FB program.
Ok, but who has the most power here? Fitz, arguably the face of the University or some outsider AD handpicked by a “no sports guy” new President?

The answer despite the organization work chart is Fitz. The big donors are donating without Fitz. Let’s not forget the big boys donate to NU causes outside of athletics in many cases. If Fitz doesn’t support the hire, he flat out takes his ball and goes to Coach another P5 team. He will be a high commodity for many many programs. Think LeBron and Luke Walton, which one is the real boss.

Consider this: Pat Ryan and trustees just finished mega-millions investments in sports, including the Fitz Carlton and new Welsh-Ryan. Think they would hire a non athletics oriented president? LOL.

“Pat Fitzgerald is a bad football coach” is a losing argument, and it’s a dumb one to start. I like your game , Bob, but this one is a silly one.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
I'd rather lose to Akron (where I currently am) and go to the B1G championship game than whip Utah and finish dead last in the B1G.

Agreed. But, as you know from the football boards, that is not how some posters feel. Heck, some even think Fitz is not a good football coach...

“Pat Fitzgerald is a bad football coach” is a losing argument, and it’s a dumb one to start. I like your game , Bob, but this one is a silly one.

If I said bad coach (don’t think I did but...), let me clarify: he’s a bad game day coach and loyal to a fault.

Agreed. But, as you know from the football boards, that is not how some posters feel. Heck, some even think Fitz is not a good football coach...

And not how life plays out. But win Akron,” and Duke, and you would have been in a different bowl and conversation.

Yup, must have been a few cocktails in. But sober, I will continue to say that he is a bad game day coach, loyal to a fault and we should have taken care of business v Akron, Duke, ISU and every other crappy loss that kept us out of national conversations.

He's such a bad game day coach that he won the B1G West championship and the bowl game (3 years in a row).

I'd rather lose to Akron (where I currently am) and go to the B1G championship game than whip Utah and finish dead last in the B1G.

this is going in circles, but football struggled early without a healthy clayton thorson. and i think the year would of went very differnet if he never came back and our capable back up green was the full time guy. much like CCC and no lathon or ash

making the NCAA in mbb is much harder than making a bowl in football.

i think its tough even to compare the NIT to a lower bowl - 97 basketball teams making the dance/NIT out of 351 - 27% vs. 78 of 130 - 60% football teams making bowls).

The way Styre framed this is a lot more practically accurate, though. When you’re competing for at-large NCAA and NIT bids you’re really only competing against your own league, the other power 5 teams and a handful of mid-majors. Most of the 220 or so non-FBS schools that play D1 hoops are from 1-bid leagues and are not our “competitors” for bids. So those raw percentages are kinda bogus. Looking at it on a conference level is a lot more useful.

Yup, must have been a few cocktails in. But sober, I will continue to say that he is a bad game day coach, loyal to a fault and we should have taken care of business v Akron, Duke, ISU and every other crappy loss that kept us out of national conversations.
What ever happened to Aaron Falzon transferring.

Reactions: NUCat320

He’s so bad he just keeps winning. Sucks, right?

Reactions: mikewebb68
The way Styre framed this is a lot more practically accurate, though. When you’re competing for at-large NCAA and NIT bids you’re really only competing against your own league, the other power 5 teams and a handful of mid-majors. Most of the 220 or so non-FBS schools that play D1 hoops are from 1-bid leagues and are not our “competitors” for bids. So those raw percentages are kinda bogus. Looking at it on a conference level is a lot more useful.

not true on "1-bid leagues" - almost every FBS league will have 2 teams playing in NCAA or NIT if not more. (again i don't think you really can compare the two (FB/BBALL) because they are so different but it seems the overall parity in basketball is much greater than it is in football and the percentage is way lower)

NIT projections 2019
a10 (2) - davidson, dayton
acc (1) - clemson
american (2) - witchita, memphis
asun - lipscomb regular season winner (lost touney champ)
big east (5) - st johns, creighton, xavier, georgetown, providence
big south (1) - campbell - regular season winner but not tourney
big ten (2) - IU, neb
big twelve (1) - UT
coloniol (1) - hofstra - regular season champ but not tourney
horizon (1) - wright st - regular season champ but not tourney
ivy (1) - hardvard - regular season champ but not tourney
mac (1) - toledo
meac (1) - norfolk st - regular season chmap but not tourney
mvc (1) - loyola - regular season champ but not tourney
mwc (1) - fresno,
nec (1) - st francis pa - regular season champ but not tourney
ovc (1) - belmont (won regular season, not tourney)
sec (1) - bama, south carolina, auburn (but they just won tourney so they are dancing)
southern (1) - 3 (unc geensboro, furman, etsu)
southland (1) - sam houstan st - regular season but not tourney
summit (1) - south dakota state - regular season champ not tourney
wcc (1) - san fran

admittedly - if you are last in your conference it doesn't matter

but the equivalent would be like 6-8 more bowl games. adding the top 2 FBS schools from each conference to bowl eligibility, and making the bowl requirements an 8-4 record instead of 6-6

Reactions: VirginiaWildcat
Yeah because when the 1-seeds lose in their conference tourneys they get NIT auto bids. If Campbell wins the Big South nobody else is getting an NIT at large bid.

It isn’t that hard to make the NIT out of the Big Ten.

if you are basing the fact on "1 bid leagues" and all those leagues winners winning both regular season and tourney - and none of those having good enough teams to make at-large teams in the NCAA or the NIT (like the WCC having 3 teams total in both) or the A10 with 3 or the southern with 4

than sure - there is not a lot of competition.

again if you finish above 10th this year in the hardest league in america your make either one - i still think the lack of competition for bids phrase is false and the parity is much greater

He said “almost” every league, which is true.

There are 32 conferences. That list has 22 conferences, meaning 10 will not have any NIT bids. 11 of the conferences on that list have only their regular season champ participating, meaning they would likely have no NIT participation if not for that rule. That’s 21 out of 32 with little to no chance of an NIT at large bid. “Almost every?”

Reactions: NUCats
again if you finish above 10th this year in the hardest league in america your make either one - i still think the lack of competition for bids phrase is false and the parity is much greater

Okay we’re getting needlessly into the weeds here. My point is simply that making the NIT out of a high major conference is not that hard and not much harder than making it to a bowl game. Mediocre teams get “N-I-T” chanted at them all the time. It’s not a mark of respect. NU rightfully fired its previous coach in part because making it to 4 straight NITs was not considered a significant achievement. It’s not _easy_ and it’s harder than it used to be but it’s not a huge mountain to climb.

Let’s get back on track. Our past 2 years have been marred by injuries( more than the norm), transfers, and an unexpected revocation of an admission. Collins needs to get a good pg ( hopefully Buie) to run the show and some shooters. If we can have serviceable big men (Benson seems a marginal BT player but I hope I’m wrong) and Young and Jones show promise I think we will surprise in the big ten. It may be like how the Illini improved as the year went on. It pains me to see Michigan make noise year in and year out with players we actively pursued (Teske, Simpson). Let’s fix this **** and get some players to the ones who are there and be a force in the BT.

There are 32 conferences. That list has 22 conferences, meaning 10 will not have any NIT bids. 11 of the conferences on that list have only their regular season champ participating, meaning they would likely have no NIT participation if not for that rule. That’s 21 out of 32 with little to no chance of an NIT at large bid. “Almost every?”

i think you prove my point here. this is much more than the power 5 and a handful of mid majors. not including the 150 teams in conferences that could get 2 teams in the NCAA/NIT

I do not think we would have had a chance to whip Utah if we had finished last in the BIG

Reactions: mikewebb68
Well, I predicted this one too. Damn, the team is turning into a dumpster fire. Nine schollies under contract. One aging verbal. Now three empty slots.

Within - one bad center, one disappointing transfer, three frosh that did not put up Shurna/Coble/Juice/pick frosh star from the past numbers, one Nash like emerging player, one unknown redshirted project, three true freshmen.

Starting lineup of Greer or Turner, Gaines, Kopp, Nance and Benson unless we catch more lightening in a bottle w a true frosh unseating someone. Still, those frosh will play. They simply will have to with the inevitable injuries, Benson’s fouls and so on.

We can’t even burn the extra schollies on walkons. Down to just one of them.

While this team has some highly regarded recruits, it is a disaster. And no relief in sight.
Whew, I gotta go take a shower.

I don't think Falzon transferring indicates much.

He's finished his four years at NU/Evanston and wants another experience/opportunity.

Iffy if he was going to start/get big minutes. I personally loved his game but don't know the extent of his health issues.

My son loves his school out in Colorado and he's received a good education, but there's now way he'd go there for grad school.

Last thought is that perhaps the reason we care about a senior moving on is because the talent has improved under Collins and we don't want to lose talent. I think the last similar concern was Drew whose family lives in the area.

He’s so bad he just keeps winning. Sucks, right?

So does Trump - still like your theory?

If we win Akron and Duke, if we win ISU and WMU (MN should have been won that year too), you would be talking about a team with four straight years of 10 wins. You would have been talking about a team regularly in the top 25 and probably in and out of the Top 10, maybe flirt w Top 5 appearances.

You would have really great arguments to persuade nationally recognized talent that NU is a legit nationally relevant FB program (that might just get into the playoffs with the way things are going) and an internationally recognized top academic institution.

Your program would be desirable by any assistant coaching candidate. You would beat Michigan, Stanford for recruits regularly - not occasionally. You could compete with the Clemsons and Alabamas for the smarter, high level talent. 10 wins a year over four years is a great program. 9, 10, 7, 10 is a pretty good one that has had some good years. 10 wins every fricking year is a team worth noting.

Consider this: Pat Ryan and trustees just finished mega-millions investments in sports, including the Fitz Carlton and new Welsh-Ryan. Think they would hire a non athletics oriented president? LOL.
Half a billion reasons that the next guys are not likely to be anti sports. Throw in the revenue from BTN, NCAA BB and other revenue streams coupled with sports is one of the only ways that NU interfaces with many of its alums and it becomes less and less likely

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT