ADVERTISEMENT

Falzon transfering

A minor bowl is more like getting to the NIT, which has also been a struggle for the basketball team of late.

Yep, it’s been all or nothing at all to this point...although very poor scheduling played some role in 2015-16.

I think PF sucks as a head coach. I would love to see him become AD. He is too loyal and a terrible judge of coaching talent. But fact is that he has had success and has us in the discussion.

So yes, PF suffered early. PF still isn’t the next greatest college FB coach. But he has caught the breaks, done some things rights and has closest to national prominence.

I'm trying to fathom how you can possibly think this after winning the B1G West and the most successful 4 year period of the program in history. Kick the man when he's down and at least some people might understand.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

You seem to have a different view from everyone else I have heard on TV, Radio and publications.

How quickly we forget timeout use, replay use, half time adjustments (or lack thereof).

He has been very successful, is actually a very recruiter, when he has good assistant coaches - gets good player development. He is a great face for NU and I think would possibly be a good AD. He just is not a game day coach. Period.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a mutual parting of ways. Falzon saw the writing on the wall, wanting more playing time, and Collins probably felt he wanted to give the minutes to others.
Yes. This.

We knew this was coming. Yes, it will be a young team next year, as it currently stands. Collins is no doubt going to bring in a grad or two to bridge the gap between this year and 2020. Let’s save the freaking out for a few months from now if recruiting does not pan out.
He has graduated. It is time to move on. Time to rebuild. No time for what could have been or might be.

Reactions: Pukecat
No.

80 out of 135 Division I football teams make bowls.

100 out of 335 Division I basketball teams make the NCAA or NIT.

Do the math.

135 FBS teams, not Division I teams. That math only applies if every team has an approximately equal chance of making the postseason, which is absolutely not the case in D1 basketball.

But I'll concede the point for the sake of argument. We can make the standard even easier and look at seasons in which NU basketball was postseason-eligible (ie .500+) and that's still only 2 out of the last 6. The initial comparison was to Pat Fitzgerald, who was postseason-eligible 6 of his first 7 years.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
A minor bowl is more like getting to the NIT, which has also been a struggle for the basketball team of late.
Sorry but it only takes a .500 record to get to a minor bowl. Even NIT takes substantially more.

Will always remember the Indiana game. One shining moment in a pretty dark Big Ten season. He may have kept the Hoosiers out of the NCAA tournament.

Well, we had plenty of help in keeping Indiana around the tournament, and Langford would be well-advised to return for his sophomore year at Indiana and develop something that resembles an outside shot.

Well, we had plenty of help in keeping Indiana around the tournament, and Langford would be well-advised to return for his sophomore year at Indiana and develop something that resembles an outside shot.
Langford is projected as at worst a top 15 NBA pick. Most have him as a lotto pick. He can learn to shoot with an extra hour or two in his pro teams gym instead of taking basket weaving ay IU. He has at least 2.5M reasons to tell Archie goodbye.

Reactions: IGNORE
Sorry but it only takes a .500 record to get to a minor bowl. Even NIT takes substantially more.

Okay, let's explore how easy this is for Big Ten teams:

2018: 6 NCAA/NIT, 9 bowl bids
2017: 10 NCAA/NIT, 8 bowl bids
2016: 8 NCAA/NIT, 10 bowl bids
2015: 8 NCAA/NIT, 10 bowl bids
2014: 8 NCAA/NIT (+1 CBI), 10 bowl bids

So over the past 5 years, there have been 40 Big Ten basketball teams in the NCAA or NIT and 47 Big Ten football teams in bowl games. Not insignificant, but hardly a massive difference.

Limiting this to Big Ten record is interesting, because in terms of overall record, Fitz had the team bowl-eligible in his second year (though not selected) and then made it to five straight bowl games after that before his two "struggle" seasons. If he'd only made it to one bowl game in his first six years, the conversation around him would have been a lot different.

CCC has never really struggled in the out of conference schedule

Okay, let's explore how easy this is for Big Ten teams:

2018: 6 NCAA/NIT, 9 bowl bids
2017: 10 NCAA/NIT, 8 bowl bids
2016: 8 NCAA/NIT, 10 bowl bids
2015: 8 NCAA/NIT, 10 bowl bids
2014: 8 NCAA/NIT (+1 CBI), 10 bowl bids

So over the past 5 years, there have been 40 Big Ten basketball teams in the NCAA or NIT and 47 Big Ten football teams in bowl games. Not insignificant, but hardly a massive difference.

making the NCAA in mbb is much harder than making a bowl in football.
Limiting this to Big Ten record is interesting, because in terms of overall record, Fitz had the team bowl-eligible in his second year (though not selected) and then made it to five straight bowl games after that before his two "struggle" seasons. If he'd only made it to one bowl game in his first six years, the conversation around him would have been a lot different.

i think its tough even to compare the NIT to a lower bowl - 97 basketball teams making the dance/NIT out of 351 - 27% vs. 78 of 130 - 60% football teams making bowls).

How quickly we forget timeout use, replay use, half time adjustments (or lack thereof).

He has been very successful, is actually a very recruiter, when he has good assistant coaches - gets good player development. He is a great face for NU and I think would possibly be a good AD. He just is not a game day coach. Period.

PF made a fairly decent halftime adjustment at the Holiday Bowl, even you have to admit.

Langford is projected as at worst a top 15 NBA pick. Most have him as a lotto pick. He can learn to shoot with an extra hour or two in his pro teams gym instead of taking basket weaving ay IU. He has at least 2.5M reasons to tell Archie goodbye.
Rookie contracts are for longer than one year

PF made a fairly decent halftime adjustment at the Holiday Bowl, even you have to admit.
Big Ten coach of the year. Won 3 of 3 in OT in 2017. Very strong results going for it on 4th down (big balls). Beaten D’Anontio and Ferentz 3 straight years. Handed Chryst half his losses in the West. Handled wonder boys Fleck, Brohm, and Frost. If he isn’t a good game day Coach, we much have some exceptional talent on the field to overcome those shortcomings.

You aren’t going to convince Bob that NU has a good Coach in a revenue sport. He is waiting for a Fitz stumble so he can lead the torch wielding mob.

Reactions: Rebel_ and DaCat

Absolutely. Something about a blind squirrel comes to mind... But let’s see again next year. History says that if PF is PF, he will offer plenty of head shaking moments.

Big Ten coach of the year. Won 3 of 3 in OT in 2017. Very strong results going for it on 4th down (big balls). Beaten D’Anontio and Ferentz 3 straight years. Handed Chryst half his losses in the West. Handled wonder boys Fleck, Brohm, and Frost. If he isn’t a good game day Coach, we much have some exceptional talent on the field to overcome those shortcomings.

You aren’t going to convince Bob that NU has a good Coach in a revenue sport. He is waiting for a Fitz stumble so he can lead the torch wielding mob.

Or for one to arrive. I wanted CCC to be a great coach. Evidence says he is not. Not good w Xs and Os. Not good in developing guys. Not good in identifying talent. Better than the past coaches in convincing guys to come here.

PF never had a chance. He became a HC way too young and his head grew way too fast to surround himself w game coaching gurus and learn as long as he had HC as title.

He had a lot of talent. A stacked D. Another NFL QB. Maybe a bit of luck. But go back through the season and related threads. Bonehead timeouts, missed replays, vanilla game plans.

But, they won. They have become a legit program. JP is leaving. Someone has to be AD. It’s a promotion. Stand up and tell me that any of you feel PF is undeserving of consideration for AD. Dare ya! Maybe my reasoning is different than yours, but this is a move than could bring many of us together.

Or for one to arrive. I wanted CCC to be a great coach. Evidence says he is not. Not good w Xs and Os. Not good in developing guys. Not good in identifying talent. Better than the past coaches in convincing guys to come here.

PF never had a chance. He became a HC way too young and his head grew way too fast to surround himself w game coaching gurus and learn as long as he had HC as title.

He had a lot of talent. A stacked D. Another NFL QB. Maybe a bit of luck. But go back through the season and related threads. Bonehead timeouts, missed replays, vanilla game plans.

But, they won. They have become a legit program. JP is leaving. Someone has to be AD. It’s a promotion. Stand up and tell me that any of you feel PF is undeserving of consideration for AD. Dare ya! Maybe my reasoning is different than yours, but this is a move than could bring many of us together.
Fitz is a coach not an AD. Being on the field is in his blood. Coaches make more coin than the AD too. Fitz has a long term gig without the pressure that most P5 guys have. This isn’t HS where the AD is a promotion for the head football coach. I’ve stood up.

Fitz is a coach not an AD. Being on the field is in his blood. Coaches make more coin than the AD too. Fitz has a long term gig without the pressure that most P5 guys have. This isn’t HS where the AD is a promotion for the head football coach. I’ve stood up.

Barry Alvarez says hello.

Who is Alabama or Clemson’s AD? I rest my case.

Your probably right. The only AD paid PF money is the guy at ND. PF isn’t ND material, right? I mean, that’s what they have been telling him since H.S. And PF has no AD experience and NU would never hire a guy to an important position without related experience. Gosh, can’t think of how I thought this could be an idear. Thanks for bringing clarity.

(Btw - who were the youngest HCs at Bama and Clemson? I’ll hang up and listen. )

Your probably right. The only AD paid PF money is the guy at ND. PF isn’t ND material, right? I mean, that’s what they have been telling him since H.S. And PF has no AD experience and NU would never hire a guy to an important position without related experience. Gosh, can’t think of how I thought this could be an idear. Thanks for bringing clarity.

(Btw - who were the youngest HCs at Bama and Clemson? I’ll hang up and listen. )
PF being the indirect cause of you losing your screenname got under your skin just a tad, amirite?

I'm confused. What does it matter how much the ND AD is paid compared to PF?

OTOH, JP is right behind the ND AD at #2. Good for him! Capitalism works!

Tell me this Bob. Why would Fitz prefer the AD job to the Head Coach job? I never opined on whether he was qualified to be an AD at NU or any other school. I have no idea if he is, but I do know he is qualified to be a Head Coach. Maybe you think the Green Bay interest this off season was fake news or the Michigan inquiries before that.

I thought this post was about Falzone?

CCC has never really struggled in the out of conference schedule
Easy opponents. CCC is good at winning the games we should win, absolutely horrible at pulling upsets. I ran the numbers, we are 1-29 in our last 30 games where we were > 3 pt underdog. We have lost our last 26 games as > 3 pt underdog. The one win was in Wisconsin in Feb 2017.

Reactions: NUCats and NJCat
Easy opponents. CCC is good at winning the games we should win, absolutely horrible at pulling upsets. I ran the numbers, we are 1-29 in our last 30 games where we were > 3 pt underdog. We have lost our last 26 games as > 3 pt underdog. The one win was in Wisconsin in Feb 2017.
Wow. Quite a contrast to St. Pat (Fitz).

Reactions: IGNORE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT