ADVERTISEMENT

Fans Booing Their Own Teams...

EagerFan

Dec 24, 2010
I was reading some articles on the past few nights' big ten games, and read that Indiana's fans were booing them as Nebraska whupped them at home.

Have any of you seen/heard anything like that at a Northwestern game? I can't recall or imagine it in the moment. I'm horrified at the thought and embarrassed for the Indiana fanbase.

I was reading some articles on the past few nights' big ten games, and read that Indiana's fans were booing them as Nebraska whupped them at home.

Have any of you seen/heard anything like that at a Northwestern game? I can't recall or imagine it in the moment. I'm horrified at the thought and embarrassed for the Indiana fanbase.
I'm never in favor of booing college kids, but now that they're making pretty good money it bothers me less. And damn, does this year's Indiana team ever suck. Their big guys don't rebound. They take ill-advised shots. They commit stupid fouls. And Galloway, for all his "Indiana White-Guy Hustle", is just not a Big Ten level point guard.*
*And they can complain all they want about losing Xavier Johnson, but he wasn't all that great either.

They’re not booing the players, they’re saying “Fire Wooooooooooooodson”.

Or perhaps they’re just booing Woodson.

I don’t boo except when the non-NU team enters the building. Also, officials.

Reactions: ricko654321
Oh yeah, booing the opposing team and the refs is almost always called for,

I just can't wrap my head around booing my own team. I mean, I get "Boo"ing in our unique circumstances, but not booing in general. People suck.

The only time I *might* boo (other than of course cheering #0) an NU team is if they give up on something they have a good shot to do. Something like downing the ball at the 50-yard-line with 10 seconds to go in the half. And I'm definitely not booing the players for that - it's more like, "oh man, grow some balls and go for it!" I know there are sometimes reasons to down the ball then and accept those, but I'm just a dumb fan, so sometimes I'll voice my displeasure.

I can't think of any reason to do it in basketball unless one of our players really does something horrible that's not really a basketball play, like yelling out a racial slur or punching a player for no good reason, and even in those cases I would probably be more shocked than ready to boo.

Reactions: EagerFan
Fair enough, I might boo my guy if he blatantly throat punched another player.

They’re not booing the players, they’re saying “Fire Wooooooooooooodson”.

Or perhaps they’re just booing Woodson.

I don’t boo except when the non-NU team enters the building. Also, officials.
Did you just try to steal an ancient joke from the Simpsons?

My man!

Booing your team's players is ridiculous. Silence is better.
Booing your coach is perfectly acceptable if things are going much worse than expected.
After all, he is highly compensated.

Booing the opposing players or coaches depends on how they respond or if they misbehaved.

Booing the refs is mandatory. Those guys will help your team win if you boo them on every debatable call.

I'm never in favor of booing college kids, but now that they're making pretty good money it bothers me less. And damn, does this year's Indiana team ever suck. Their big guys don't rebound. They take ill-advised shots. They commit stupid fouls. And Galloway, for all his "Indiana White-Guy Hustle", is just not a Big Ten level point guard.*
*And they can complain all they want about losing Xavier Johnson, but he wasn't all that great either.
Don't forget how bad they are at the FT line

The only time I *might* boo (other than of course cheering #0) an NU team is if they give up on something they have a good shot to do. Something like downing the ball at the 50-yard-line with 10 seconds to go in the half. And I'm definitely not booing the players for that - it's more like, "oh man, grow some balls and go for it!" I know there are sometimes reasons to down the ball then and accept those, but I'm just a dumb fan, so sometimes I'll voice my displeasure.

I can't think of any reason to do it in basketball unless one of our players really does something horrible that's not really a basketball play, like yelling out a racial slur or punching a player for no good reason, and even in those cases I would probably be more shocked than ready to boo.
We are generally booing the refs

8gr7xs.jpg

Most of the booing is aimed at Woody and staff. Although they have three 5-star guys, this is a poorly constructed team, a poorly coached team that lacks any kind of leader or hustle. The 3 assistants are supposedly ace recruiters…They sure as heck are not teachers of the game, that’s obvious!!!

Woody continues to play 2 bigs, who clog up the lane on offense, so driving is limited, which they need to do cuz they sure can’t shoot from 3 (32%). Woody hasn’t been able to get one good shooter in the portal since Kopp and even left a scholarship open this season knowing the one shooting guard he had coming in was coming off major knee surgery as a HS Senior. Not surprisingly, the young man has missed the whole season. Guys like Dalton Knecht, Jamison Battle and others (doubt he even bothered with Langborg, who should have been on their radar) were all on campus last spring only to go elsewhere (probably because they could see this was an inside oriented offense). He badly judged that X and Galloway (both good defenders when healthy) could carry the load offensively.

Lack of hustle on the defensive end, getting beat to 50/50 loose balls 80% of the time, often cuz the IU guy doesn’t get on the floor and poor defensive rotation/off ball D have been huge issues all year.

No IU grad/fan I know expected this to be a great season, but 10-11 wins in conference wasn’t asking much in this year’s league with the assembled talent and highest NIL in the league. Instead, not even going to be close to 10 wins.

How not good has this team been? Coming into today’s game at PSU, only 3 of their 12 losses have been by single digits, have lost 8 of 10, have a 3-game home losing streak and have lost, I believe 5 home games.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
Yes to booing opposing teams and refs (both compulsory). Yes to booing coaches for stupid or cowardly decisions (unfortunately NU has had too many kneels with a chance to win but I digress).

There are limited circumstances to booing a player, e.g., taking multiple consecutive awful shots in basketball, multiple ill advised picks in a row in football. But that’s more of an irritated groan than a true boo and the booing is also directed at the staff in those situations.

Not a big fan of booing college guys, partially because the last thing a program needs in today’s age is for players to become alienated with their fan community and school.

Coach Rick Pinto recently "booed" his St. John's team by publicly throwing them under the bus in questioning their effort and saying this was his worst experience as a Head Coach in his career.

Yes. NU football has been booed off the field at half. A debate on this board or whatever version of it existed at that time ensued. They were booed bc the effort of the team was horrible and it was clear to anyone watching. I have no problem with it as long as you are booing the effort and not just booing the players for who they are. In other words booing a good team that’s not putting in effort rather than booing a bad team for being bad.

• Sad
Reactions: EagerFan
Coach Rick Pinto recently "booed" his St. John's team by publicly throwing them under the bus in questioning their effort and saying this was his worst experience as a Head Coach in his career.
Seems like there was some method to his madness, they just knocked off #15 Creighton.

Those comments were also earlier in the week before their Wednesday road win too.

Seems like there was some method to his madness, they just knocked off #15 Creighton.

Those comments were also earlier in the week before their Wednesday road win too.
Maybe the fans think the booing will get a rise out of their teams too?

I heard IU is rumored to be talking to Tom Crean for a reunion tour😂

He should boo that white suit he wore today. Oh my….

• Haha
Most of the booing is aimed at Woody and staff. Although they have three 5-star guys, this is a poorly constructed team, a poorly coached team that lacks any kind of leader or hustle. The 3 assistants are supposedly ace recruiters…They sure as heck are not teachers of the game, that’s obvious!!!

Woody continues to play 2 bigs, who clog up the lane on offense, so driving is limited, which they need to do cuz they sure can’t shoot from 3 (32%). Woody hasn’t been able to get one good shooter in the portal since Kopp and even left a scholarship open this season knowing the one shooting guard he had coming in was coming off major knee surgery as a HS Senior. Not surprisingly, the young man has missed the whole season. Guys like Dalton Knecht, Jamison Battle and others (doubt he even bothered with Langborg, who should have been on their radar) were all on campus last spring only to go elsewhere (probably because they could see this was an inside oriented offense). He badly judged that X and Galloway (both good defenders when healthy) could carry the load offensively.

Lack of hustle on the defensive end, getting beat to 50/50 loose balls 80% of the time, often cuz the IU guy doesn’t get on the floor and poor defensive rotation/off ball D have been huge issues all year.

No IU grad/fan I know expected this to be a great season, but 10-11 wins in conference wasn’t asking much in this year’s league with the assembled talent and highest NIL in the league. Instead, not even going to be close to 10 wins.

How not good has this team been? Coming into today’s game at PSU, only 3 of their 12 losses have been by single digits, have lost 8 of 10, have a 3-game home losing streak and have lost, I believe 5 home games.
I hate to see this, because I grew up an IU fan and remember Woody's playing days. (Cat fan now, of course.)

Sadly for them, all of the above is true. We benefitted so much from Boo's emergence as the alpha dog among the players, and from Lowery's arrival which in my view helped fill in some of CC's gaps. There is a ton of "buck stops here" energy on our team now - and none of it at Indiana.

When Reneau fouled out against us, he went back to the bench and there was a long shot of him standing there with his hands in the air, whining to one of the assistant coaches, who was vaguely humouring him, but mainly looking away and trying not to engage. To me that moment encapsulated a lot. He wasn't owning it, nobody was telling him to own it, and there was zero teaching or learning after a clear foul by a guy who keeps fouling out. Things won't get better there without some leadership among the players, the coaches, or both.

Wow.

Yet Killer Mopp thinks they are the best fan base lol. They deserve each other

Yet Killer Mopp thinks they are the best fan base lol. They deserve each other
Kopp towards IU is like a high school boy who is in love with a girl, who is nice to him, but does not love him back. Kopp supposedly loves IU fans. IU fans don't love him back, at best they tolerate him.

Kopp is what he has been since arriving at NU, a viable fourth scoring option and a defender who is deficient, although I hear he has improved a bit.

and yet, Kopp is in the NBA's G-League playing 20 minutes+ per game... that is almost astonishing to me.

Chase Audige has only played 3 games in February for his team - not sure if he is injured.
Chase is 4-20 shooting threes so far, which is the one offensive skill he has a chance to turn into a useful one, and being an elite defender in college is a totally different game than being an elite defender against the gumby freaks that make up nearly the entirety of the NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT