ADVERTISEMENT

Feel sorry for anyone who changed the channel at halftime.

Alan Smithee

Aug 13, 2002
Not any Cat fans; they'd deserve the consequences. But for anyone else bored by the first half, they missed a hell of a fight in the second half!

Yes. That call sucked. We all agree.

But instead of being "yet another embarrassing NU blowout on national tv" that some other poster was whining about, I honestly think that by the time that horrible non-call and T happened, probably 80% or more of the people watching that game were rooting for us and thought we were going to win the game!

We definitely had Apollo Creed bleeding, dazed and on the ropes, ready to go down.

Then the refs gave them a reprieve.

Due to having had to be on the road, I had the misfortune of having to listen to the game on ESPN radio as they kept flipping back and forth between three different games at one point or another. At one point (early in the second half) they actually promised they would reconnect with which ever of the games was the most interesting. Since we had closed the gap to 11 at that point I was sure NU would get the feed after the commercial break. Instead we got stuck with a competing game. Finally when the gap was 7 or 8 ESPN Radio got back to NU-Gonzaga and stayed with us until the end.

FWIW, when the goal tending failed to get called they actually said that was the turning point of the game. The expectation to that point was that we would win it and even after that they were projecting how this would have been something like the second greatest comeback in NCAA Tournament history.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT