ADVERTISEMENT

Final observations from 11 rows back

freewillie07

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2017
Shelled out a heck of a lot of money to watch a blowout so might as well get my money’s worth and post my thoughts from up close.

— UConn’s guards were absolutely dialed in to disrupting Boo. I’ve rarely seen such consistent intensity from any team. It’s like they were challenged to completely neutralize him… and they did. Unfortunate for this to be his final game in purple.
— Clingan is next-level. More dynamic than Edey, though without the same level of touch around the rim. I thought CCC’s approach to attack him early was interesting but ultimately didn’t work.
— Barnhizer being injured makes sense. He was visibly gimpy. That said he clearly was able to make shots in the second half, which actually makes his first half somehow more brutal.
— Langborg should have had his number called more. Dude is automatic and I’ll miss his sweet stroke and confidence next year. That said UConn is just long and fast and clearly made it a priority to take him out of the game.
— Something no one is talking about: UConn was a fairly miserable 3-of-22 from 3. Can you imagine if they had even an average night? Scary.
— I’ve said this in another thread but don’t blame the refs. Did they let them play? Of course. But that’s the deal if you get down 40-18 at the half.
— Great NU turnout. On to reloading next year and not getting the 8-9 line. GO CATS.

That team had so much talent, but their intensity on defense was greater than anything I saw this year. Credit to Hurley for rebuilding a culture there.

Reactions: mountaindrew
— Something no one is talking about: UConn was a fairly miserable 3-of-22 from 3. Can you imagine if they had even an average night? Scary.
This. We talk about all the what-ifs for NU (poor shooting in first half, lack of calls by refs), but what if UConn had made five or six more of their 3 pointers? UConn was absolutely dominant in the paint, and they could have been a lot better from outside.

We missed Nicholbomb. Big time.
He would have helped — seeing how huge he is in person is quite something — but it wouldn’t have bridged the chasm between the two teams. I’d say he’s probably worth 8-10 points difference (just stopping the alley-oops alone…) but let’s not forget that UConn was taking many opportunities to rest its starters throughout the game. Their 1s are exceptional.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
This. We talk about all the what-ifs for NU (poor shooting in first half, lack of calls by refs), but what if UConn had made five or six more of their 3 pointers? UConn was absolutely dominant in the paint, and they could have been a lot better from outside.
I think they took their foot off the gas. Let face it, they could dump inside for a lay up nearly every time. When they didn’t dump it inside, they went right around our perimeter defender. Glad they hoisted up a bunch of 3’s.

Just curious: why were the UConn fans so bad?
There were a lot of very drunk UConn fans around me and going home on the subway.

Several aggressively went after Duke fans in my section in the first game. UConn wasn’t even playing. Look, I hate Duke too, so I get it. But just cheer for JMU. Don’t go after Duke fans simply for cheering for their team.

Then in our game, the guys in front of us stood up at the tip and when they were asked to sit down, they just said to shove it. This was not to me but to others in my row. They could have said they wanted to stand until they hit the first basket in a non-combative way.

They had a problem with our cheering for our guys pregame, singing the fight song and cheering for the first couple of rare baskets. They started ripping Northwestern and when I turned to look, they said, “yeah, I’m talking to you.” They went on and on. Making fun of Buie in particular. (I was wearing a Buie sweatshirt, other family members have Nicholson and Barnhizer)

I have no problem with people cheering for their team, even aggressively or obnoxiously. I’m ok with hated conference rivals amping things up. But don’t go out of your way to antagonize other teams’ fans for just rooting for their guys. @CatManTrue - you know my size so it’s pretty easy for someone to not feel in danger around me. Maybe you should have been there.

I get it. UConn is amazing. That’s great. But they don’t have to be dicks about winning.

There were a lot of very drunk UConn fans around me and going home on the subway.

Several aggressively went after Duke fans in my section in the first game. UConn wasn’t even playing. Look, I hate Duke too, so I get it. But just cheer for JMU. Don’t go after Duke fans simply for cheering for their team.

Then in our game, the guys in front of us stood up at the tip and when they were asked to sit down, they just said to shove it. This was not to me but to others in my row. They could have said they wanted to stand until they hit the first basket in a non-combative way.

They had a problem with our cheering for our guys pregame, singing the fight song and cheering for the first couple of rare baskets. They started ripping Northwestern and when I turned to look, they said, “yeah, I’m talking to you.” They went on and on. Making fun of Buie in particular. (I was wearing a Buie sweatshirt, other family members have Nicholson and Barnhizer)

I have no problem with people cheering for their team, even aggressively or obnoxiously. I’m ok with hated conference rivals amping things up. But don’t go out of your way to antagonize other teams’ fans for just rooting for their guys. @CatManTrue - you know my size so it’s pretty easy for someone to not feel in danger around me. Maybe you should have been there.

I get it. UConn is amazing. That’s great. But they don’t have to be dicks about winning.
Sorry to hear they were that shitty. From what my Big East friends say, I’m not too surprised.

A Wisconsin fan tried to yell at myself and the other NU fans to sit down early during our game against FAU and we ignored him. I was going nuts the whole game and my voice is still recovering.

Even we big guys get threatened. The funniest was when my late brother and I met up in Happy Valley to watch our Cats play there in 2011 (JoePa’s 400th win).

We were peacefully cheering on our Cats when a drunk PSU fan became enraged and stated yelling at us in a threatening way. My brother was almost as big as me and a nasty fighter (RIP).

His friends quickly surrounded him and pulled him away before things got really ugly.

So it goes both ways. If it helps, I’m not raising my sons to pick fights - but I expect them to know how to finish them.

Reactions: drewjin

Every fanbase has those guys (except maybe for dignified schools like us!). I think most UConn fans are pretty good. I imagine there is also a bit of inferiority complex for UConn fans when it comes to Duke, because UConn wants to be recognized as a true blueblood like Duke, but maybe doesn't feel people think of them that way quite yet.

Reactions: NUCat320

When I still lived in Chicago years ago I'd go to games whether it was Hawks/Bulls/Sox/Cubbies whatever and always went at least 5 or 6 deep so whenever it was our fans or the opposing teams making a scene we'd just make fun of them that they had no class and to shut the f up. Eventually that won over both sides because it ended up being pretty funny to people around us. Not an easy thing to do in the college game because that becomes way more tribal.

Last edited:
We missed Nicholbomb. Big time.

Also really missed Berry (despite some thinking his loss wasn't as bad); Berry would have lessened the focus on defending Boo - reminded me of the time (think it was LSU) when the opponent had 4 lanky, athletic forwards and they simply suffocated Shurna.

Reactions: IGNORE2 and drewjin

Just wait until they meet the Illini fans.

Also really missed Berry (despite some thinking his loss wasn't as bad); Berry would have lessened the focus on defending Boo - reminded me of the time (think it was LSU) when the opponent had 4 lanky, athletic forwards and they simply suffocated Shurna.
Berry's loss was far more consequential. I know some will debate this, but I thought Berry was the second most important player on this team. His shooting, his defending and his rebounding from the guard position, not to mention his enthusiastic leadership were a huge loss.

Berry's loss was far more consequential. I know some will debate this, but I thought Berry was the second most important player on this team. His shooting, his defending and his rebounding from the guard position, not to mention his enthusiastic leadership were a huge loss.
Completely agree with this. NU beat the second best team they played this year with a comparable big man (Purdue) because of Buie, Langborg and Berry. They had little to no help from their bigs in that game aside from the 15 fouls they offered.

Nicholson was objectively not good against Purdue and NU still won. He scored 2 points, had 2 rebounds and fouled out in less than 12 minutes. He was light years better later in the season when he got hurt, but I imagine he likely would have fouled out pretty quickly in this one as well. I like Nicholson, but NUs recipe for beating a team with a superior big was getting the 3 in the backcourt in the zone simultaneously.

Reactions: No Chores
Berry’s injury was probably the worst hit just because it happened first and NU played more games without him. But he and Matt are both vital in very different roles, and we needed them both for best opportunities for success.

I continue being amazed at how awesome this team was to continue winning and make the tourney without both of them. I don’t believe our prior tourney teams would have survived losing the starting center and starting shooting guard in conference.

Last year without Chase and Matt?
2017 without Scottie and Dererk?

I don’t believe our prior tourney teams would have survived losing the starting center and starting shooting guard in conference.

Last year without Chase and Matt any two starters?
2017 without Scottie and Dererk any two starters?
FIFY. And that just adds to the idea this year's team was the 🐐

Reactions: MC_Cat
More minutes for Martinelli and Langborg cushioned Berry’s loss. Smith was there to cushion Berry’s loss.

Nicholson is simply a unique player, literally irreplaceable on this team.

I haven’t looked at the numbers, but did Preston and Hunger combine for the four assists that Nicholson had in the first half against Nebraska? There were at least two occasions during UConn where Nicholson would’ve been there for a slam but Boo had a floater altered by Goliath instead. Goliath simply had no reason to hedge, because Boo didn’t have the relationship with Hunger or Preston that he did with Nicholson.

Nicholson’s skills at finding an open guy and hedging on the pick and roll and simply being in the right place are unique. His hands aren’t great, but a lot of the rest of his game is. (He’s basically Kevin McHale to me.)

(And, frankly, how many PG/C relationships have that quick alley-oop as a weapon?)

Of course, it doesn’t really matter who was *more* important. Both were hugely important.

Gosh, I’m so excited to see what Ty is capable of. The leap he took last year was just remarkable. He was a star.

I do think his loss allowed Langborg to play a bit more aggressively and unrestrained. Langborg shot more mid-range — where he’s so good that it’s a good shot — and got to the hoop more in the final several games, because it was needed.

Go Cats Go

More minutes for Martinelli and Langborg cushioned Berry’s loss. Smith was there to cushion Berry’s loss.

I haven’t looked at the numbers, but did Preston and Hunger combine for the four assists that Nicholson had in the first half against Nebraska? There were at least two occasions during UConn where Nicholson would’ve been there for a slam but Boo had a floater altered by Goliath instead. Goliath simply had no reason to hedge, because Boo didn’t have the relationship with Hunger or Preston that he did with Nicholson.

Nicholson’s skills at finding an open guy and hedging on the pick and roll and simply being in the right place are unique. His hands aren’t great, but a lot of the rest of his game is. (He’s basically Kevin McHale to me.)

(And, frankly, how many PG/C relationships have that quick alley-oop as a weapon?)

Of course, it doesn’t really matter who was *more* important. Both were hugely important.

Gosh, I’m so excited to see what Ty is capable of. The leap he took last year was just remarkable. He was a star.

I do think his loss allowed Langborg to play a bit more aggressively and unrestrained. Langborg shot more mid-range — where he’s so good that it’s a good shot — and got to the hoop more in the final several games, because it was needed.

Go Cats Go
I agree we really missed Matt. And he is a much, much better pick and roll player than our other bigs and a very good passer. But Kevin McHale had some of the best post footwork of any player ever. Matt currently has no post game. If he can develop even a decent post game, that would transform the team and make it a lot easier on our next point guard.

If it hasn't happened in the last 4 years, it probably isn't going to happen....
I was just going to say, that is exactly what we said this time last year. I don't think he gotten any better, so I think he is who he is. And that assumes he even wants to play another year.

I agree we really missed Matt. And he is a much, much better pick and roll player than our other bigs and a very good passer. But Kevin McHale had some of the best post footwork of any player ever. Matt currently has no post game. If he can develop even a decent post game, that would transform the team and make it a lot easier on our next point guard.
Pretty sure he was joking with the McHale comparison.

Go Cats Go
Some very good observations. Assuming Big Matt heals and returns, he does bring some unique qualities to the table and will be a more important part of next year's team because we won't have Boo and Langborg. That said, Coach CC is someone a lot of good players in the portal should be eyeing in a very positive way after what he accomplished this season. We know that admissions and the NIL wild west make things tougher for NU, but we should keep punching above our weight with CC and his staff running the show.

Reactions: DaCat
I think he invoked McHale as an example of the offensive role MN played on this team, which was part decoy, part facilitator, with occasional scoring.
Sure but mchale wasn’t an occasional scorer, he was an often scorer. Dude was getting upwards of 26 ppg in his prime along w 10 boards.

Nicholson is a 5 and 4 guy. I’d like to see him improve on those with better success around the basket. Going up strong and not missing bunnies.

Sure but mchale wasn’t an occasional scorer, he was an often scorer. Dude was getting upwards of 26 ppg in his prime along w 10 boards.

Nicholson is a 5 and 4 guy. I’d like to see him improve on those with better success around the basket. Going up strong and not missing bunnies.
McHale is about the opposite of Big Matt as you can get.

I said “role” not “production.” But, yes, McHale didn’t need a navy to help him. He had game.

Reactions: NJCat
He would have helped — seeing how huge he is in person is quite something — but it wouldn’t have bridged the chasm between the two teams. I’d say he’s probably worth 8-10 points difference (just stopping the alley-oops alone…) but let’s not forget that UConn was taking many opportunities to rest its starters throughout the game. Their 1s are exceptional.
Clingon can’t wander away from MN to block every shot taken or it becomes a Nicholbomb game. Hunger hasn’t shown that capability and Preston is short enough for Clingon to recover.

• Love
Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Sorry to hear they were that shitty. From what my Big East friends say, I’m not too surprised.

A Wisconsin fan tried to yell at myself and the other NU fans to sit down early during our game against FAU and we ignored him. I was going nuts the whole game and my voice is still recovering.

Even we big guys get threatened. The funniest was when my late brother and I met up in Happy Valley to watch our Cats play there in 2011 (JoePa’s 400th win).

We were peacefully cheering on our Cats when a drunk PSU fan became enraged and stated yelling at us in a threatening way. My brother was almost as big as me and a nasty fighter (RIP).

His friends quickly surrounded him and pulled him away before things got really ugly.

So it goes both ways. If it helps, I’m not raising my sons to pick fights - but I expect them to know how to finish them.
Fight picker : P

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT