ADVERTISEMENT

Fire O’Neil

Good quarterbacks can do both. Good quarterbacks also play the entire game. If you're getting benched as a qb when your team is down in the 4th, that means there's something in your skillset that is a significant weakness. If your team can't rely on you as a qb to lead them in a comeback in the 4th quarter because your arm is weak, that makes you not a very good qb.

I give up. You win. If you can’t see that Colter moved the offense just fine in an “untraditional” way, don’t know what else I can possibly say.

Reactions: mountaindrew
I give up. You win. If you can’t see that Colter moved the offense just fine in an “untraditional” way, don’t know what else I can possibly say.

Yup. Peaty and ECat also believe that Tony Gwynn, Wade Boggs and Ichiro weren't great hitters. I'm done stating what's obvious to (almost) everybody.

Last edited:
Yup. Peaty and ECat also believe that Tony Gwynn and Wade Boggs weren't "great hitters". I'm done stating what's obvious to (almost) everybody.
Tony Gwynn...
1) has the highest career batting average (.338) of any player since WWII (Boggs is second at .328 with Carew).
2) was 35 for 91 (.429) lifetime against HOFer Greg Maddux
3) hit .349 vs. lefties over his final 9 years
4) hit .368 during his 5 year peak run (93-97)
5) averaged 29 strikeouts per 162 games (and 52 walks)

Tony Gwynn...
1) has the highest career batting average (.338) of any player since WWII (Boggs is second at .328 with Carew).
2) was 35 for 91 (.429) lifetime against HOFer Greg Maddux
3) hit .349 vs. lefties over his final 9 years
4) hit .368 during his 5 year peak run (93-97)
5) averaged 29 strikeouts per 162 games (and 52 walks)

.349 against lefties. I didn't know that. That's insane.

Good quarterbacks can do both. Good quarterbacks also play the entire game. If you're getting benched as a qb when your team is down in the 4th, that means there's something in your skillset that is a significant weakness. If your team can't rely on you as a qb to lead them in a comeback in the 4th quarter because your arm is weak, that makes you not a very good qb.
How are the Illannoy QBs this year? Big fan of Sitkowski in your troll cave… I mean basement?

He was so bad that he never cost us a game in 2015 but instead helped us win 10 games with his running (SU, UNL) and his secure ball handling, even under adverse conditions (UW).

But Thorson did end up costing the Cats a couple of games against mediocre opponents when he was an experienced QB.

Good thing that Thorson his 1st season had a historically great D, so he didn't have to do much.

Plus, his seasons with Venric were really the last time the NU offense was fun to watch except for an occasional big run from JJTBC.

So, Trevor slinging it against Wisky, PSU, ND in 2014 wasn't fun?

Should have been a quad-fecta with UM, but for the poor game plan and adjustments by the coaches.

Would have been even more fun, but for all the dropped passes, including the 2 deep balls against the Domers.

And that's with the #1 receiver getting hurt prior to the season starting, the #2 receiver playing with a broken hand (hence, the drop balls) and Mark transferring.

Just too bad Siemian didn't have an extra year of eligibility left, bc the passing game would have been even better with a RB like JJtBC (who wasn't a frosh) - who could get something out of nothing.

The O started to really gel late in the season when JJtBC started to get more reps (once he no longer was a total liability in pass-pro).

With that D, opposing D's always having to account for JJtBC and Trevor handling the passing game - the Cats would have had a good chance to win the B1G.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvanstonCat
Trevor didn’t have “scrambling ability.” He could move OK in the pocket, wasn’t a threat with his legs. That’s why his whole “4.38 40” comment was so damn funny.

For someone who purports to be on Team Trevor - you have a poor grasp of his (physical) skill set.

Scrambling doesn't just mean tucking the ball and trying to gain yardage (where in that case, the QB is acting more like a ball carrier/RB), but extending passing plays with his legs.

While no Persa, Siemian was the next best homegrown QB at doing so since Persa (haven't seen enough of Marty extending pass plays with his legs, but has the physical talent to be better than Trevor).

Kubiak wouldn't have drafted Trevor if he weren't mobile enough to bootleg, an important aspects of Kubiak's WC scheme.

Heck, TS ran it in for a TD a couple of times for the Cats.

Last edited:
But Thorson did end up costing the Cats a couple of games against mediocre opponents when he was an experienced QB.

Good thing that Thorson his 1st season had a historically great D, so he didn't have to do much.

Should have been a quad-fecta with UM, but for the poor game plan and adjustments by the coaches.

Would have been even more fun, but for all the dropped passes, including the 2 deep balls against the Domers.

And that's with the #1 receiver getting hurt prior to the season starting, the #2 receiver playing with a broken hand (hence, the drop balls) and Mark transferring.

Just too bad Siemian didn't have an extra year of eligibility left, bc the passing game would have been even better with a RB like JJtBC (who wasn't a frosh) - who could get something out of nothing.

The O started to really gel late in the season when JJtBC started to get more reps (once he no longer was a total liability in pass-pro).

With that D, opposing D's always having to account for JJtBC and Trevor handling the passing game - the Cats would have had a good chance to win the B1G.

I'm tired of this Trevor/Colter/Thorson crap. I'm not going to recite Trevor's rap sheet again. I like Trevor's personality and watching him play and just hope he's learned how to execute an out-of-bounds throw by now.

The point is people here rip Thorson for the 2015 season when he played very well as a RSF and helped us win games. The first thing a QB has to learn is to not lose games and he aced that in 2015. Thorson "didn't have to do much" but he did win the Nebraska, Wisconsin, and arguably the Stanford game for us simply with his running and ball handling.

In 2018, after the Akron fiasco, he won several come-from-behind games and a West championship with a pass and catch for the ages.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatManTrue

You complaining about the 2011 game against #10 Nebraska, pinnyskenis?

How are the Illannoy QBs this year? Big fan of Sitkowski in your troll cave… I mean basement?
Are you brain damaged? I couldn’t care less about the hicks from Rantoul. You think about that program more than their own fans. They are irrelevant.

The fact that you think anyone cares enough about that program to troll on their behalf. LOL good lord

Who's crapping on him? He was a good player for us but we needed Trevor to come in and handle the traditional qb duties when the game called for it because of his limitations. Nobody denigrated his character or his sacrifice for the program. Good player? Yes. Good qb? No.

And please don't pull out a single season's team record as a definitive judgment on a player's ability. We all know that's misleading. Clayton Thorson was really bad his freshman year (way way way worse than Trevor in 2014) but the team still had a great record.
Pick a season, then. I thought Trevor's senior year where he didn't share time would be more representative than, say, your example of Thor's Freshman year.

I like a downfield pass as much as the next guy, but am primarily interested in results and success.. if you like stats, go to CFB reference to find that Kain's weak arm, probably a result of an injury, was pretty damn efficient. I can accept your point that Kain was not a 'downfield ' passer, but I reject your notion that he was not a good QB. He was. Period.

I'm tired of this Trevor/Colter/Thorson crap. I'm not going to recite Trevor's rap sheet again. I like Trevor's personality and watching him play and just hope he's learned how to execute an out-of-bounds throw by now.

The point is people here rip Thorson for the 2015 season when he played very well as a RSF and helped us win games. The first thing a QB has to learn is to not lose games and he aced that in 2015. Thorson "didn't have to do much" but he did win the Nebraska, Wisconsin, and arguably the Stanford game for us simply with his running and ball handling.

In 2018, after the Akron fiasco, he won several come-from-behind games and a West championship with a pass and catch for the ages.

You sure did like pulling up Trevor's rap sheet(but then was silent when Colter would throw a pick, like in the bowl game).

No one is saying that Trevor didn't have bad plays or even bad halves/games, but overall, he elevated the level of talent around him on O (remember, for the 2013 and 2014 seasons, the team was riddled with injuries).

Even putting aside having some of Hank's best D's on the other side of the ball, Thorson had an all-time great NU RB for 3 seasons, one of the better SB/TE in Green and the only 2 NU receivers to have made an NFL roster in the past couple of decades.

Last edited:
Sure it does. The ball control, run-heavy offense led by Kain was our best chance at winning most of the time because the whole concept was to control the game and time of possession while playing with the lead. If that didn’t work and we needed to catch up, then we had to throw the ball more and those situations played more to Trevor’s strengths.
Now, this just doesn't make any sense.

If Trevor is our best option to put up points and score, then why didn't we play him all the damn time and not get behind.

The point of the offense is to score and to put up points. If anything, we should have put Trevor in from the beginning, and only put Kain in if we wanted to milk clock and sit on a big lead. Even then, I'd favor just stepping on the opponent's throats and crushing the life out of them, both for style points and also because that's just what you should do.

Army comes to mind when for 3 quarters we didn't do jack on offense. Against fricking Army. Put Trevor in in the 4th quarter and its too late. Should have played him the whole game and we would have destroyed them.

But, he didn't. Our offense was mediocre with him at the helm. Most of our efficiency in terms of putting points up and yards came with Trevor coming in relief. The fact is, if we had Kain playing today without a Hankwitz led defense, we'd still be losing games. We just didn't put up points without Trevor.

Yup. Peaty and ECat also believe that Tony Gwynn, Wade Boggs and Ichiro weren't great hitters. I'm done stating what's obvious to (almost) everybody.

Why would you make up shit? Those guys were great hitters.

Kain was a WR playing out of position at the expense of putting our future NFL starting QB on the bench. Another brilliant McCall idea that was covered up by the fact that Hankwitz ran our D and we'd win because of him.

A lot that bonehead move would do for us today.

People act like having a strong run game is only possible with a mobile QB. If you have a great RB (like JJTBC or Venric Mark) your offense is going to only be stronger if you can make people pay for loading up in the box to try to stop you. Balance passing and running. Sure a mobile QB has its advantages, but having one who defenses don't need to respect because they have no arm doesn't help. Would way rather have a statue who can make you pay by going over the top on single coverage or in play action vs. no vertical threat, and the defense loading up to stop the run or short pass on every play.

Reactions: rogerkim
Now, this just doesn't make any sense.

If Trevor is our best option to put up points and score, then why didn't we play him all the damn time and not get behind.

The point of the offense is to score and to put up points. If anything, we should have put Trevor in from the beginning, and only put Kain in if we wanted to milk clock and sit on a big lead. Even then, I'd favor just stepping on the opponent's throats and crushing the life out of them, both for style points and also because that's just what you should do.

Army comes to mind when for 3 quarters we didn't do jack on offense. Against fricking Army. Put Trevor in in the 4th quarter and its too late. Should have played him the whole game and we would have destroyed them.

Trevor was our best chance to put up points and score QUICKLY, which is not always the complete idea.

But, he didn't. Our offense was mediocre with him at the helm. Most of our efficiency in terms of putting points up and yards came with Trevor coming in relief. The fact is, if we had Kain playing today without a Hankwitz led defense, we'd still be losing games. We just didn't put up points without Trevor.

Almost like the offense shouldn’t be considered in a vacuum and the whole idea of “complimentary football” actually does exist. Weird.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT