ADVERTISEMENT

Fire O’Neil

It was evident Johnson couldn’t play from the beginning. If he could play he’d be at Clemson. He’s got the size and arm but can’t play. There’s a million guys who look good in practice and fold up when the lights come on.
Not when TL decided to go to Clemson.

Reactions: drewjin
That's right, Colby took years, as did Cushing, and McCall (easier to understand since McCall's descent was kind of slow motion).
Colby did not take years. Fitz was not ready for the HC gig when he got the job and the way he got it. He was not in a position to make such changes after 2006. But he got rid of him after the 2007 season. So basically it took one year and at that time firing during the season was not done like it is now.

Cushing I will give you but having Cushing there benefited Fitz in other ways so somewhat understandable. McCall did a fair job for a lot of years and Atkins was likely his downfall.

So I expect it to take anywhere near as long with JON? NO. Because he makes Fitz look bad which Cushing and McCall did not. We saw a change after the bye where guys were in position, but could not make the plays and I thought JON had bought himself some time. But that seems more questionable after MINN game. And now it would appear his presence may be costing recruits. It will still depend on internal evaluation but that better come up glowing at this point for him to keep his job

Of course if you are not ready to promote one of the guys we have and bring in someone from outside again, you may be also replacing one or both of the two potential internal candidates.

Colby did not take years. Fitz was not ready for the HC gig when he got the job and the way he got it. He was not in a position to make such changes after 2006. But he got rid of him after the 2007 season. So basically it took one year and at that time firing during the season was not done like it is now.

Cushing I will give you but having Cushing there benefited Fitz in other ways so somewhat understandable. McCall did a fair job for a lot of years and Atkins was likely his downfall.

So I expect it to take anywhere near as long with JON? NO. Because he makes Fitz look bad which Cushing and McCall did not. We saw a change after the bye where guys were in position, but could not make the plays and I thought JON had bought himself some time. But that seems more questionable after MINN game. And now it would appear his presence may be costing recruits. It will still depend on internal evaluation but that better come up glowing at this point for him to keep his job

Of course if you are not ready to promote one of the guys we have and bring in someone from outside again, you may be also replacing one or both of the two potential internal candidates.
Well, watching the games with colby as DC. it seemed like an eternity. You make a good point about Fitz being the newbie then.

I mean the QBs are what they are. Not sure what people were expecting but sometimes 4-5 stars are busts.

We've had our share of those too.

Marty seems to have developed into a pretty decent dual threat with good awareness.

But with the rest of the personnel available we just don't have much.
Marty has developed because all his time under McCall (ducks)

Reactions: NUCat320
Everyone else can plainly see, but what Fitz believes.
So sad. Everything built is burning down and Fitz doesnt even put a water hose on it. Recruits and others will be running out of the house as there is zero hope.

Is this fun for you?

• Haha
Reactions: phatcat
Some good QBs definitely developed under McCall. His development of QBs was never one of my criticisms.

Only one that McC can get credit for is Thorson and the Eagles didn't think he was developed enough after they had drafted him.

Is this fun for you?
He's got a point. Fire O'Neil now. Herein lies the problem, now and ongoing. NU cannot withstand such a dramatic decline in defense, and If it goes on for one more year, NU is done for. Don't you get it? NU has to get a new DC asap.

Last edited:
Reactions: IGNORE2
Same question for you.
Fun? Honey, you must be become part of the koolaid collective. There is no joy. Is so depressing and the coaching staff doesn’t express concerns and people like you just look for bright sides like graduation rates which enable folks to not sweat a terrible program.

Sorry dude but you got me wrong. Like a few others, I’m tired of angry and depressing Saturday experiences. Planning my day to get to watch a team that doesn’t seemingly care. Back in the darker days, it was enough to simply check the score. That’s where I’m heading.

I’m sure I’m the only one. I bet there will be no drop in attendance. The pressers will be packed. The team will be well covered. And after killing the rant board, I’m sure this team will drive record traffic to this website.

I suppose one way to look at it is cubs v Sox fans. Cub fans don’t care about the quality of team, they want to enjoy the experience. Sox fans back off when management doesn’t try to compete.

But if watching this team and casting away three hours of your weekend to then brings you joy, carry on.

Reactions: mountaindrew
Fun? Honey, you must be become part of the koolaid collective. There is no joy. Is so depressing and the coaching staff doesn’t express concerns and people like you just look for bright sides like graduation rates which enable folks to not sweat a terrible program.

Sorry dude but you got me wrong. Like a few others, I’m tired of angry and depressing Saturday experiences. Planning my day to get to watch a team that doesn’t seemingly care. Back in the darker days, it was enough to simply check the score. That’s where I’m heading.

I’m sure I’m the only one. I bet there will be no drop in attendance. The pressers will be packed. The team will be well covered. And after killing the rant board, I’m sure this team will drive record traffic to this website.

I suppose one way to look at it is cubs v Sox fans. Cub fans don’t care about the quality of team, they want to enjoy the experience. Sox fans back off when management doesn’t try to compete.

But if watching this team and casting away three hours of your weekend to then brings you joy, carry on.

You think this brings me joy? Read my posts then **** right the **** off.

Eh both Persa and Kafka took a leap after working with Basanez for a summer. Colter was never a good qb, but he was an athletic freak. Siemian, he never looked like the NFL starter he eventually became under McCall.
Ridiculous post. Basanez gave quality tips, but McCall did a really nice job until the mid-2010s. Give credit where it’s due. Bacher (2008), Kafka, Persa, Siemian, and Colter all did well under him. Thorson would have if McCall made some changes and if Fitz had hired a real OL coach a few years prior.

I am no McCall apologist. I’m on the record repeatedly for having called for his firing post the 2015 Outback bowl. But he was a quality OC in his first 7 seasons for us.

Ridiculous post. Basanez gave quality tips, but McCall did a really nice job until the mid-2010s. Give credit where it’s due. Bacher (2008), Kafka, Persa, Siemian, and Colter all did well under him. Thorson would have if McCall made some changes and if Fitz had hired a real OL coach a few years prior.

I am no McCall apologist. I’m on the record repeatedly for having called for his firing post the 2015 Outback bowl. But he was a quality OC in his first 7 seasons for us.
Yeah none of those guys you named agree with you that he did a good job

You wouldn't give him any credit for Persa's development?

Nothing for Colter or Siemian?

Nope.

Both Bacher and Siemian were pretty skilled passers coming out of HS.

We saw glimpses of Trevor's talent in the few moments he got to play early on (that TD pass in the Army loss and that long throw against Cuse).

If anything, McC (and likely Fitz) held Trevor back - never utilizing his scrambling ability and ability to throw it on the run (until the 4th Q of the M00N game).

Both Kafka and Persa have enthusiastically credited Baz with helping them become better passers with no mention of McC.

Trevor has never mentioned McC either, unlike the Mannings and Jones who are still tight with Cutcliffe.

Colter never developed as a real passing QB, otherwise he wouldn't have had to share the job and later lose it to Siemian (if he had, he would have been a more dangerous version of Persa - who basically carried the O on his back, making ridiculous off-schedule plays that McC shouldn't get credit for) .

As for Thorson, he developed some (there was nowhere to go but up as a passer from his frosh campaign), but he was responsible for some really bad losses even with a couple of seasons starting under his belt.

Last edited:
Nope.

Both Bacher and Siemian were pretty skilled passers coming out of HS.

We saw glimpses of Trevor's talent in the few moments he got to play early on (that TD pass in the Army loss and that long throw against Cuse).

If anything, McC (and likely Fitz) held Trevor back - never utilizing his scrambling ability and ability to throw it on the run (until the 4th Q of the M00N game).

Both Kafka and Persa have enthusiastically credited Baz with helping them become better passers with no mention of McC.

Trevor has never mentioned McC either, unlike the Mannings and Jones who are still tight with Cutcliffe.

Colter never developed as a real passing QB, otherwise he wouldn't have had to share the job and later lose it to Siemian (if he had, he would have been a more dangerous version of Persa - who basically carried the O on his back, making ridiculous off-schedule plays that McC shouldn't get credit for) .

As for Thorson, he developed some (there was nowhere to go but up as a passer from his frosh campaign), but he was responsible for some really bad losses even with a couple of seasons starting under his belt.
But you see, CatManTrue once attended a fundraiser where he exchanged brief small talk with Dan Persa. That obviously means he has an insight into Persa’s thinking that the rest of us rubes don’t.

But you see, CatManTrue once attended a fundraiser where he exchanged brief small talk with Dan Persa. That obviously means he has an insight into Persa’s thinking that the rest of us rubes don’t.
Doesn’t Illannoy have their own Rivals board for you to troll and make lies up on?

Reactions: mountaindrew

If you're tired of being angry and depressed, you should try being happier. Your anger and depression have nothing to do with how the Cats are performing this season.

Reactions: StreamCat

I gotta agree with this. In fact, other than wanting the kids to do well financially and professionally after they leave, I don't give a sh1te if any of them play a down in the NFL. Do you think the Buckeye fans care that Troy Smith never did anything in the NFL? He beat Michigan 3 or 4 times, he will always be a Buckeye hero. Other than notoriety and the kids' financial well being,WHO CARES if they play in the NFL?

Reactions: DaCat
I gotta agree with this. In fact, other than wanting the kids to do well financially and professionally after they leave, I don't give a sh1te if any of them play a down in the NFL. Do you think the Buckeye fans care that Troy Smith never did anything in the NFL? He beat Michigan 3 or 4 times, he will always be a Buckeye hero. Other than notoriety and the kids' financial well being,WHO CARES if they play in the NFL?
I mean Fitz clearly cares considering he publicly touts Slater and Newsome’s success. You should care too as a fan because more Cats in nfl helps recruiting.

So sad. Everything built is burning down and Fitz doesnt even put a water hose on it. Recruits and others will be running out of the house as there is zero hope.

OMG, the sky is falling.
We're doomed.
Run for your lives.
We're all going to die.

Turk, you're killin me. Go get a happy meal, Bro. :)

Eh both Persa and Kafka took a leap after working with Basanez for a summer. Colter was never a good qb, but he was an athletic freak. Siemian, he never looked like the NFL starter he eventually became under McCall.

Whoa. Siemian, I agree. But Colter never a good QB?!?!?!?

101/149/872y/68%/8 td, 4 piks in 2012; 63/80/577y/ 79% (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) in 2013.

Oh, by the way, nevermind that he was virtually unstoppable running with the ball... last I checked he did that from the QB position.

Yeah, Colter freakin sucked.

Seriously, Peaty?? C'mon.

Last edited:
I mean Fitz clearly cares considering he publicly touts Slater and Newsome’s success. You should care too as a fan because more Cats in nfl helps recruiting.
If a kid does well in the NFL, it's a great bonus for the program. But to Phatty's point, the main thing is for the kid to excel in college as a Wildcat. Fitz never saw a down in the NFL but was the greatest LB to play for NU.

I'm sure you're right, and I wish them success, NFL or otherwise. And I suppose it affects recruiting, particularly amongst 4-5 stars that ALL think they will play on Sunday. I can't emphasize enough how much I don't care about the NFL. I almost never watch a game. I've probably see parts of 3 games in the last 15 year, like at a Super Bowl party where I was mostly ignoring it. I mentioned Troy Smith above. Trevor has already far surpassed Troy Smith's pro career. In fact, no OSU QB's have done much in the NFL. But they sure know how to win college football games, and their lack of NFL success doesn't seem to hurt OSU's QB recruiting.

What I think will happen, though, is that the transfer portal will blur the lines between who is "ours" and the other school where he played. Is Peyton Ramsey ours? Ben Skowronek? Isiah Bowser? Stephon Robinson if he misses the rest of the year? Eku Leota if he breaks out at Auburn? What if Carl Richardson transfers and goes on to the NFL?

Anyway, go Cats, be successful, don't get hurt. Love these guys.

If a kid does well in the NFL, it's a great bonus for the program. But to Phatty's point, the main thing is for the kid to excel in college as a Wildcat. Fitz never saw a down in the NFL but was the greatest LB to play for NU.
Sure it's not the absolute most important thing, but it's also not a WHO CARES AT ALL thing. Top recruits and their high school coaches, other college coaches that we recruit against who use it as a selling point, they all care a lot about a program's ability to send kids into the pros. One thing we've been saying this year is that the talent level on the current team isn't good enough and needs significant improving. Well if we want better recruits we're gonna need to sell a lot of them on their potential to go pro with this program.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I'm sure you're right, and I wish them success, NFL or otherwise. And I suppose it affects recruiting, particularly amongst 4-5 stars that ALL think they will play on Sunday. I can't emphasize enough how much I don't care about the NFL. I almost never watch a game. I've probably see parts of 3 games in the last 15 year, like at a Super Bowl party where I was mostly ignoring it. I mentioned Troy Smith above. Trevor has already far surpassed Troy Smith's pro career. In fact, no OSU QB's have done much in the NFL. But they sure know how to win college football games, and their lack of NFL success doesn't seem to hurt OSU's QB recruiting.

What I think will happen, though, is that the transfer portal will blur the lines between who is "ours" and the other school where he played. Is Peyton Ramsey ours? Ben Skowronek? Isiah Bowser? Stephon Robinson if he misses the rest of the year? Eku Leota if he breaks out at Auburn? What if Carl Richardson transfers and goes on to the NFL?

Likewise I rarely watch NFL games, but I'll try to catch some games if for example Slater or Newsome are playing. I think what top recruits are looking at is, can this program provide both the development and platform to showcase their ability for the pros? So that's things like: will they be able to start games relatively quickly? will they have the level of coaching needed to teach the skills of the position? will they be playing in enough big time games where they have a national audience to showcase their skills? will pro scouts pay attention to the team?

OSU QBs may not have a ton of success in the pros, but as a program, recruits know for sure that: OSU has top level coaching, NFL scouts will always pay a ton of attention to the team, and they will be in tons of big time games where they can show out. It's about the program, its reputation, and the platform it has with the media and pro coaches/scouts moreso than how any individual position group from that program tends to fare within the pros.

If you're tired of being angry and depressed, you should try being happier. Your anger and depression have nothing to do with how the Cats are performing this season.
Lol. I have a beautiful life. Lots to be grateful for. But I am passionate about my teams. Sox and Cats lead the parade. But don’t worry about me - no Harry Carey in my future.

#graduationrates

You know where else graduation would be celebrated? Ivy League

I actually like sports.

Whoa. Siemian, I agree. But Colter never a good QB?!?!?!?

101/149/872y/68%/8 td, 4 piks in 2012; 63/80/577y/ 79% (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) in 2013.

Oh, by the way, nevermind that he was virtually unstoppable running with the ball... last I checked he did that from the QB position.

Yeah, Colter freakin sucked.

Seriously, Peaty?? C'mon.
If Colter was a great qb, why was it that his only shot to play in the NFL was as a WR? Come on we all watched those games. He was magic on his feet. But when he threw balls they were ducks. Seems his high school shoulder injury sapped his arm strength. Fantastic competitor and great overall player but compared to our more traditional gun slingers like Kafka, Bacher, he had a lot of deficiencies throwing the ball.

Reactions: rogerkim
If Colter was a great qb, why was it that his only shot to play in the NFL was as a WR? Come on we all watched those games. He was magic on his feet. But when he threw balls they were ducks. Seems his high school shoulder injury sapped his arm strength. Fantastic competitor and great overall player but compared to our more traditional gun slingers like Kafka, Bacher, he had a lot of deficiencies throwing the ball.

Because the NU offensive line was crap and couldn’t pass block anyone in 2012, so the only chance was to put out a run-heavy scheme with him and Venric.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT