ADVERTISEMENT

Firings: What should happen vs. what will happen

NU spent a lot of time in the rare 2-2-5 defense, with a big gap across from the opposing interior linemen. One of the strange elements of the JON game plan.
A nine man defense would definitely be a strange strategy but as bad as our season went this year I don't remember ever seeing that alignment this year.

A nine man defense would definitely be a strange strategy but as bad as our season went this year I don't remember ever seeing that alignment this year.
I swear NU was playing without defensive tackles most of the time.

This is why I've gotten to the point where Bajakian probably has to go too.

QB development is the most important factor for offensive success; if you aren't developing QBs, then nothing good will happen on offense.

Past 2 years has shown nothing in terms of QBs developing in this program.

The offense (other than the running game) is as broken as the defense.
Even in Jake's "good year", we were a bottom quartile offense with a good B1G QB. We had just gotten used to McCall's offenses and thought it was good

Reactions: zeek55
If nobody gets fired they won’t sell any tickets next year. At some point economics get involved as well
As an older, long time STH this may be my breaking year. With only one(?) more season in our current stadium and then 2-3 in who knows where I have lost my desire to make the trek up to Evanston to watch this mess.
Hoping that if I stick around 3-4 years it will be worth it is a pipe dream.

How many will think the same as the next year ends unless there is some evidence that things will change?
Along with the Transfer Portal revolving door status of the current college football landscape the next few years could be a pivotal time for NU football.

I thought this was our last year at Ryan Field? That was what the ticket office sent out before the season.

B10 teams should have the revenue to poach big time coordinators from the ACC, B12 or P12. NU needs to play the NIL game or get left behind. Brilliant facilities only go so far with high school stars and transfers. Also, Fitz should not have a working headset during the games; he’s a disaster when it comes to game management.

As an older, long time STH this may be my breaking year. With only one(?) more season in our current stadium and then 2-3 in who knows where I have lost my desire to make the trek up to Evanston to watch this mess.
Hoping that if I stick around 3-4 years it will be worth it is a pipe dream.

How many will think the same as the next year ends unless there is some evidence that things will change?
Along with the Transfer Portal revolving door status of the current college football landscape the next few years could be a pivotal time for NU football.
I'm part of the problem. NU can count on me being there. We have a fantastic time in the West Lot win or lose (and lose and lose and lose). Over the years, we have accumulated many friends and family to join our festivities. One and all said they cannot wait for next season. Weird. A few who come to games only a couple of times a season told me they are getting season tickets next year. The product on the field cannot beat our product in the Lot. I'm going to miss Dyche’s dump.

I agree that a strong NIL game is the golden ticket to football improvement, if not great success.

But that isn’t ultimately up to NU or the athletic dept., right? Everything I have seen involves supporters of a given program setting up deals with athletes.

So this would seem to be the question: do fans desire football success enough to (legally) ‘pay’ players, or not?

Or, in a deeper sense, Is the world of semipro ball something NU should be part of?

Reactions: drewjin
This is why I've gotten to the point where Bajakian probably has to go too.

QB development is the most important factor for offensive success; if you aren't developing QBs, then nothing good will happen on offense.

Past 2 years has shown nothing in terms of QBs developing in this program.

The offense (other than the running game) is as broken as the defense.

Oh, it wasn’t the fact that on American soil this year, we ranked 131st in the country in total offense? That’s DEAD LAST.

Nobody should keep their job with that kind of performance.

NU spent a lot of time in the rare 2-2-5 defense, with a big gap across from the opposing interior linemen. One of the strange elements of the JON game plan.

2-2-5 would explain a lot.

It looked like for much of the year with the gaping holes that we only played 9 players on defense.

I agree that a strong NIL game is the golden ticket to football improvement, if not great success.

But that isn’t ultimately up to NU or the athletic dept., right? Everything I have seen involves supporters of a given program setting up deals with athletes.

So this would seem to be the question: do fans desire football success enough to (legally) ‘pay’ players, or not?

Or, in a deeper sense, Is the world of semipro ball something NU should be part of?
The reality is that we have a tiny, tiny fan base that actually cares about the results on the field. Businesses will not yield an increase in revenue from paying players to market their products or services—so any NIL money would have to come from a place of giving players a “salary” without any expectation of a tangible return on investment. I cannot see this happening to the degree that it would improve our recruiting or retention of talented athletes.

Reactions: Dugan15
What should happen: Fitz reads the Shaw news and follows his lead. He can claim he never intended to coach his son, and its time for new blood. Time to bring in Mike Kafka!

What will happen: Fits stays; JON is gone.

Don’t do this to us. If you know something spill it. Otherwise, don’t get our hopes up.

I don’t have any specifics. Just that a meeting involving Ryan has supposedly already taken place. Honestly I don’t think the coaches themselves have any specifics at this point.

Does that include Fitz himself
Highly doubt it, every minute that ticks by I become more concerned that no changes will be made or bs window dressing. i now know why Adam R tweeted the JON hire was selfish by Fitz.

Highly doubt it, every minute that ticks by I become more concerned that no changes will be made or bs window dressing. i now know why Adam R tweeted the JON hire was selfish by Fitz.
I think everybody needs to remain calm and dispassionate for the next few weeks.

Fitz comes off as a methodical guy. He'll do his end of season analysis and look at what went wrong and where.

It's going to be a process in some sense before we get to the point of replacing coordinators.

Though part of me wonders if availability of "hot" candidates may move forward the timeline if some "can't miss" DC or OC becomes available.

I'd put Leonhard in that category for example.

Last edited:
I think everybody needs to remain calm and dispassionate for the next few weeks.

Fitz comes off as a methodical guy. He'll do his end of season analysis and look at what went wrong and where.

It's going to be a process in some sense before we get to the point of replacing coordinators.

Though part of me wonders if availability of "hot" candidates may move forward the timeline if some "can't miss" DC or OC becomes available.

I'd put Leonard in that category for example.
NU announced McCall was gone at noon on Sunday. Gosh I was hoping for something like that today. Oh well.

Reactions: drewjin and Dugan15
Fitz ain’t going to do a damn thing because Fitz says… f@#& you!

Every second that goes by in “assessing” is a second of missed opportunity in targeting the best possible coordinators before they are ultimately gone to another team.
You really think outreach can’t happen until a job is formally open? The flaw in your argument is assuming a decision hasn’t already been made even though a public announcement hasn’t happened yet.

Fitz ain’t going to do a damn thing because Fitz says… f@#& you!

Also no
One word responses do no one any good. If you have an opinion on my statement, please share it. Understand you are an “insider” but that doesn’t entitle you to be an a**hole in your responses.

If something is completely off base entirely then a one word response will suffice.

Also not really an “insider,” really. More “have half a brain and understand how things really work.”

You really think outreach can’t happen until a job is formally open? The flaw in your argument is assuming a decision hasn’t already been made even though a public announcement hasn’t happened yet.
In the real world or at many other programs, of course that would be prudent. In Fitz’s world not sure I believe he’s placing feelers out and risk that leaking without formally firing the person. Of course I can be wrong.

I would be shocked if decisions have been made and that has not been communicated publicly or leaked. Not buying that. Happy to eat the biggest helping of crow if I’m wrong. If we don’t hear anything tomorrow, I’ll be very worried at which direction Fitz is going.

One win, eleven losses. Embarrassing, sometimes comical ineptitude, in nearly all facets of the game. If competitive football means anything at NU, the results of the last two seasons should be 100% unacceptable, and that word needs to mean something. We are Dark Ages Bad, with most of the old excuses no longer operative -- which actually makes it even worse, in my view. At any other major conference school the head coach would be gone, or on a white hot seat. The buck stops with him. But he's not going anywhere, and I'm actually ok with that. For now. He's brought us to unprecedented heights in the modern era, both as a player and coach. He deserves a chance to get out of the hole he's dug for himself and the program. We cannot suffer a season or two more of this garbage, but he is and should be safe. For now.

The offense is unwatchably atrocious, regardless of who is at QB (a position that has been a real problem ever since Thorson, with that one transfer for the 2020 season, as a major exception). I don't know how much of this is the fault of the OC's schemes/game-planning, but the results speak for themselves. I don't know how the person responsible for the last two years' putrid offensive output should keep his job.

Then there's the DC, a hire that was utterly puzzling, on paper. The hire has been just as bad, or worse, in reality. This is on the head coach. It was his buddy hire. The results are very bad. The guy can recruit, it seems, but that only means so much. Look at the game outcomes.

I'm not a 'fire everyone!' type of fan, but my god. How can we embrace "continuity" if it means continuing...this? In my opinion, both coordinators should be gone, and perhaps some other coaches, too. Clean house. The message needs to be that this is not acceptable. And Fitz ought to think very hard -- much harder than last time, evidently -- about the would-be hires he'd be bringing in. He'll be hiring and coaching for his job over the next season or two. That's my view. My questions for the gallery are:

(1) Who *should* be fired?

(2) One week from today, will one, both, or neither of the two coordinators still have their jobs at NU?
People vote with their feet and their checkbooks. I am a 40 year season ticket holder although i no longer live in the area. Yesterday ny wife who also holds two degrees from NU asked if we couldn’t find something else to watch. It is painful to me but we wont be renewing.

In the real world or at many other programs, of course that would be prudent. In Fitz’s world not sure I believe he’s placing feelers out and risk that leaking without formally firing the person. Of course I can be wrong.

I would be shocked if decisions have been made and that has not been communicated publicly or leaked. Not buying that. Happy to eat the biggest helping of crow if I’m wrong. If we don’t hear anything tomorrow, I’ll be very worried at which direction Fitz is going.
Again, you are assuming the coaches don’t already have a pretty good feel for where they stand just because a public announcement hasn’t been made. I think by now most of the people involved have a pretty good sense what will be formally announced in the next couple of days. The fans like us will be the last to know.

The reality is that we have a tiny, tiny fan base that actually cares about the results on the field. Businesses will not yield an increase in revenue from paying players to market their products or services—so any NIL money would have to come from a place of giving players a “salary” without any expectation of a tangible return on investment. I cannot see this happening to the degree that it would improve our recruiting or retention of talented athletes.
Yep, if they don't care about an education, we have no chance with them and this may doom us from getting many difference makers.

Again, you are assuming the coaches don’t already have a pretty good feel for where they stand just because a public announcement hasn’t been made. I think by now most of the people involved have a pretty good sense what will be formally announced in the next couple of days. The fans like us will be the last to know.
Yeah, I would assume even the coaches that have not directly spoken to Fitz about their tenuous hold on their jobs must surely be updating their resumes after this year's debacle. Just because none of them have said anything to us doesn't mean they don't know. And I would expect they have all talked to Fitz on an informal level (at the very least) before now.

There is not a single member of the staff - including Fitz - who should be feeling 100% secure they'll have a role with the team next year. Sure, no one thinks Fitz will be fired, and maybe HE doesn't even think he'll be fired, but if he has any self-awareness, he should be sweating too.

Has happened already, from what I can gather.

I'm very glad to hear that. I sure as hell hope one of those people has looked Pat straight in the eye, and said, "Look, dude, you need to realize that our offense is beyond atrocious. Its absolutely unwatchable. Nobody with any real talent wants to play in this offense. You better get your head around that fact right now."

Then get ready to be very worried. I think Zeek55 is right. Fitz is methodical and is going to take his time on figuring out what's what. The football part I think he gets. I think he gets that our offense is crap. That we can't develop a QB. Or playmakers at receiver. And the state of the defense, that goes without saying.

What I don't have any gauge on is, does he recognize that a real change of direction is needed, for both offense and defense? New leadership/coordinators. Some new assistants (WR without question). New blood from the outside. A new offensive approach that will genuinely attract big boy playmakers like Wandale Robinson, AJ Henning, Nick Singleton, Parker Jenkins, Jordan Mosley (actually stay here), etc etc. Or is he still convinced that very conservative, old style smashmouth football is still the only way we can win big games?

He's facing the idea that, from 2007-2020, what we were doing here worked. It worked pretty good. Fourteen years of being in the upper half of the Big Ten, and two Big Ten Championship games very recently. That's pretty darned good. And he deserves credit for that.

Now, suddenly, it doesn't work anymore. At all. Now he and all his staff somehow forgot how to coach football? And I hired the wrong people? And I have to fire some of these people? My good friends?

So we may not like it, but I don't blame Fitz for genuinely needing a little time to figure out the whole picture and what painful decisions need to be made. That's what we got.

Last edited:
Reactions: zeek55
Then get ready to be very worried. I think Zeek55 is right. Fitz is methodical and is going to take his time on figuring out what's what. The football part I think he gets. I think he gets that our offense is crap. That we can't develop a QB. Or playmakers at receiver. And the state of the defense, that goes without saying.

What I don't have any gauge on is, does he recognize that a real change of direction is needed, for both offense and defense? New leadership/coordinators. Some new assistants (WR without question). New blood from the outside. A new offensive approach that will genuinely attract big boy playmakers like Wandale Robinson, AJ Henning, Nick Singleton, Parker Jenkins, Jordan Mosley (actually stay here), etc etc. Or is he still convinced that very conservative, old style smashmouth football is still the only way we can win big games?

He's facing the idea that, from 2007-2020, what we were doing here worked. It worked pretty good. Fourteen years of being in the upper half of the Big Ten, and two Big Ten Championship games very recently. That's pretty darned good. And he deserves credit for that.

Now, suddenly, it doesn't work anymore. At all. Now he and all his staff somehow forgot how to coach football? And I hired the wrong people? And I have to fire some of these people? My good friends?

So we may not like it, but I don't blame Fitz for genuinely needing a little time to figure out the whole picture and what painful decisions need to be made. That's what we got.
NU apparently is the only school in the country where those evaluations don’t happen during a 1-11 season. We’re special and have to wait until after the season. I’ll say it again, a healthy program has its evaluations made and executes the second the last game is finished. There is no excuse for Fitz still waffling over what he wants to do after the season we had. If he doesn’t know what to do then he should be gone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT