ADVERTISEMENT

Fitz’s 2019 promise & a new moment of truth

NJcatsfan

Nov 21, 2004
Two seasons ago, fresh off a West title and a bowl win, NU backslid to a dreadful 3-9 finish, marked by horrifically bad QB play and a bad offense overall. The D eventually gave out and gave up. After that campaign ended, Fitz vowed that such a season would never happen again.

The ‘Cats then went and got a QB, swept the division, played well in the B1G championship, crushed an SEC team in a “name” bowl game, and earned a top ten national finish.

And now here we are, a year later, with another 3-9 finish. This year was worse — the worst, in fact, that I’ve ever seen in my nearly 20 years of fandom. Not only was QB play atrocious, so was everything else. The defense — our calling card in recent successful years — was abysmally terrible. There aren’t enough pejoratives to do it justice. They quit a long time ago. Giving up so many points to *VERY BAD* Nebraska and Illinois teams is Dark Ages stuff.

Fitz promised our fans and our program that 2019 would never happen again. Two years later, it’s worse. There is a glaring problem in the QB recruitment/development department. And I don’t know what to say about the defense beyond the obvious reality that Fitz’s DC hire was a very poor one & he needs to reboot that decision. Now.

In some ways, I’m not overly upset that the season is ending with an abject beat down at the hands of a lousy Illini squad, capping off 6 consecutive losses and a winless divisional finish. We are not “close.” There is no “momentum.” We are as bad as I’ve ever seen & are posting Dark Ages results on the heels of the best season in program history. Fitz needs to decide if his word means anything, and if a cartoonishly unacceptable season will be actually treated as unacceptable. I don’t know what he’s going to do (I don’t care what he says at this point), but I’ll be watching his actions very closely.

A disgusting season. What are you going to do, Fitz?

Last edited:
This season has been a disaster of epic proportions. Fitz's smugness after getting pounded 56-7 at Nebraska with his comments about having just shut out opponents for the past 6 quarters (which wasn't even true given the stupid last play of the game TD the D gave up against Ohio) demonstrates his lack of humility in the face of adversity. This game today may be what he needs to decide to finally make SEVERAL changes that are needed or else suffer the consequences of NU football whimpering off into obscurity for years to come. Because that is what's on the horizon folks.

This season has been a disaster of epic proportions. Fitz's smugness after getting pounded 56-7 at Nebraska with his comments about having just shut out opponents for the past 6 quarters (which wasn't even true given the stupid last play of the game TD the D gave up against Ohio) demonstrates his lack of humility in the face of adversity. This game today may be what he needs to decide to finally make SEVERAL changes that are needed or else suffer the consequences of NU football whimpering off into obscurity for years to come. Because that is what's on the horizon folks.
I am willing to forgive lack of action mid-season. But after this? No. Changes are flagrantly required and no snarky/stubborn soundbyte can wash that away. He is the CEO of this program and he needs to act like it, even if it’s painful, in the coming weeks.

Who’s gonna make him?

I am willing to forgive lack of action mid-season. But after this? No. Changes are flagrantly required and no snarky/stubborn soundbyte can wash that away. He is the CEO of this program and he needs to act like it, even if it’s painful, in the coming weeks.
The players will be making decisions as well. Lose some but hopefully we get better ones to replace

I have no hope. The lies about "youth " tell me he has no plan. McIntyre and Bergin are STILL in the game w 6 mins left.

No hope for QB. Presumably no kicker in the wings. Losing best WR and several others. Both lines are sieves. Presumably only Gallagher is a decent LB or the others would be playing, right? RIGHT?

I have no hope. The lies about "youth " tell me he has no plan. McIntyre and Bergin are STILL in the game w 6 mins left.

No hope for QB. Presumably no kicker in the wings. Losing best WR and several others. Both lines are sieves. Presumably only Gallagher is a decent LB or the others would be playing, right? RIGHT?
I agree this is one of the most, if not the most, maddening issues with Fitz, and an easy answer for why a team’s chemistry would tank.

Presumably only Gallagher is a decent LB or the others would be playing, right? RIGHT?
I’ve been baffled all year by this. Surely there is something better out there, right?

At the end of 2019, we at least had hope - the defense showed promise, McCall was being fired, the offense had to get at least somewhat better with a transfer QB, and we ended the season with a win over Illinois.

Now? Nothing. I got nothing. It's not even an especially young team.

Fitz is asked about the promise & his answer is…well…

5vrmd6.jpg

I’m done with him. He’s not even likable really. It’s time to try something new.
And yet you're a fan of Michigan and their warm and fuzzy head coach. If you have HBO (or HBO Max), you should watch the recent story on the Bryant Gumbal show about the team doctor in the 70s and 80s who sexually abused and assaulted hundreds of student-athletes over many years. The administration is doing its best to sweep the story under the rug, and Harbaugh (without showing any sympathy for the victims) is unequivocally stating that Schembechler knew nothing about it. The comparisons to Penn State and Paterno aren't far off. What a program to support. At least Fitz in all his arrogance has a semblance of personal decency and morality.

My goodness, I’m not “done” with Fitz. How ridiculous. He deserves to be HC and has won the west 2 of the last 4 years. But this season was an abomination & he needs to act like it. His thin-skinned defensiveness in the face of failure is not one of his best qualities. And his DC hire is looking like a huge dud. The QB development & recruitment issue is also glaring. I don’t miss the days of 6-6 mediocrity. But that record looks pretty attractive from where I sit at the moment. This off season and next season loom large.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bweiny and corbi296
And yet you're a fan of Michigan and their warm and fuzzy head coach. If you have HBO (or HBO Max), you should watch the recent story on the Bryant Gumbal show about the team doctor in the 70s and 80s who sexually abused and assaulted hundreds of student-athletes over many years. The administration is doing its best to sweep the story under the rug, and Harbaugh (without showing any sympathy for the victims) is unequivocally stating that Schembechler knew nothing about it. The comparisons to Penn State and Paterno aren't far off. What a program to support. At least Fitz in all his arrogance has a semblance of personal decency and morality.

Wow. We're down to at least he's not an enabler of baby rape.

Got it.

How low can our bar possibly be? I don't think it was even this low in the Dark Ages.

My goodness, I’m not “done” with Fitz. How ridiculous. He deserves to be HC and has won the west 2 of the last 4 years. But this season was an abomination & he needs to act like it. His thin-skinned defensiveness in the face of failure is not one of his best qualities. And his DC hire is looking like a huge dud. The QB development & recruitment issue is also glaring. I don’t miss the days of 6-6 mediocrity. But that record looks pretty attractive from where I sit at the moment. This off season and next season loom large.
When Fitz and you point to 2020, you are necessarily giving full credit to Fitz and Fitz is taking it. And you must necessarily conclude that JON >= Hankwitz.

Remember, the past was hankwitz. He actually should get more credit than Fitz, but he is gone, so how can you point to the past when we have JON?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: drewjin
At least they all graduate.

Harbaugh sucks as a person

The PF quote has pushed me onto the fire Fitz bandwagon. Not firmly established but his antics are crap. No, he’s not raping little boys but he is now becoming a terrible face for the program. Your little choir boy has become the poster child of arrogance. So besides a losing program full of terrible coaches, those of you firmly behind him condone the look he exudes if and when the National media comes knocking? NU, the home of arrogant fvcks that are terrible at their job. Yup - great look. Fvck him - time to move on.

Wow. We're down to at least he's not an enabler of baby rape.

Got it.

How low can our bar possibly be? I don't think it was even this low in the Dark Ages.
I'm simply defending Fitz's character, not giving him a pass for what happened this season. He's fair game for much criticism, but I do think he truly cares about the players, is committed to their success in the classroom, and generally doesn't screw people over, such as recruiting over commits and then dropping them.

I've always said I really like Fitz as the face of Northwestern University, but it has dawned on me that the football team can't be terrible and have that work. He's a character guy and a great motivator (normally).

Fitz never was good at play-calling. Way too predictable on our typical runs and passes. He also makes crazy decisions to "go for it" when 7-10 years ago he'd punt from the opponents 32 on 4th and 2. Now he goes for it on 4th and 12 at midfield when we're still in the game.

Defensively we blitz so rarely it drives me crazy. The majority of college QBs play worse after you hit them even once. Let them stand there facing a 3 man "rush" and even the bad ones can complete passes.

His coordinators are letting him down, to be kind.

Reactions: Ryanfield124
I do think he truly cares about the players, is committed to their success in the classroom, and generally doesn't screw people over, such as recruiting over commits and then dropping them.
I think he truly cares about his players, but in reality he is screwing them over by prioritizing comfort with his staff instead of pushing for the most accomplished and merited assistants on his staff. The executive needs to be a fiduciary for the program as a whole, and personal discomfort with innovation cannot stand in the way of what's best for the enterprise.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Rebel, no question you're a devoted fan but you seem too supportive of Fitz and his staff. Are you good with keeping the OC and DC for another season?

Really? You're in a position to know that? For Christ sakes, the gentlemen has done wonders for NU football. Let us not forget.
He isn't even at .500 in the B1G!!!! What wonders? He built a practice facility?? 1 year of first round draft picks? Didn't NU players graduate before he got here? Please tell us what you classify as "wonders"? And then tell me where Nick Saban ranks on this same scale.

He isn't even at .500 in the B1G!!!! What wonders? He built a practice facility?? 1 year of first round draft picks? Didn't NU players graduate before he got here? Please tell us what you classify as "wonders"? And then tell me where Nick Saban ranks on this same scale.
Fitz has won bowl games, several of them. That matters.

Fitz had NU ranked in the top ten at the close of next year, which was cool.

Fitz had made bowl game an expectation, not a hope, which is something.

Fitz had pretty much ensured that people could use the Dark Ages against NU anymore; NU had established itself as clearly above a few programs (Illinois, Maryland, Purdue, Indiana), but two seasons in three means that’s not a given anymore.

It’ll be inexcusable to see both Jake and JON back, but to not recognize that he has brought a base level of expectation and steadiness to the program is silly.

(Of course, it looks like a third in four years — perhaps starting with a 7 a.m. smack down at the hands of Nebraska — will bring back those bad old feelings.)

Reactions: corbi296

Fitz had pretty much ensured that people could use the Dark Ages against NU anymore; NU had established itself as clearly above a few programs (Illinois, Maryland, Purdue, Indiana), but two seasons in three means that’s not a given anymore.

It’ll be inexcusable to see both Jake and JON back, but to not recognize that he has brought a base level of expectation and steadiness to the program is silly.

(Of course, it looks like a third in four years — perhaps starting with a 7 a.m. smack down at the hands of Nebraska — will bring back those bad old feelings.)

And he has done jackshit without Mike Hankwitz.

Let's have a balanced viewpoint. I am extremely pi$$ed at the guy at the moment because of traits that I choose to ignore when the team is successful. However, by any measure, he's far and away the most successful coach in NU history. Nobody else is even close. Don't tell me about a guy that had 2 great years and left us in shambles (Barney), or another guy that had 2 great years and was sort of forced out (Ara). I respect sustained success and loyalty.

Are we trending in the wrong direction? Yes. Is there precedence of other like-programs getting rid of historically successful/respected coaches who have struggled lately? Yes - TCU and Duke (sort of). Fitz will not be fired, but if, hypothetically, he were to be fired, he would remain the greatest coach in program history, certainly for the rest of my life. NU would have to attract an up and coming Matt Campbell AND have the guy stay for 15 years to replicate Fitz's success. Oh, and btw, Campbell's predecessor at Toledo was none other than Tim Beckman. Careful what you wish for.

He doesn't get a free pass. If the team continues to suck, Gragg needs to grow a pair and fire him. Even if so, this doesn't change his place in NU history. One of our top 5 greatest players, and our #1 coach by a wide margin.

Reactions: corbi296
He doesn't get a free pass. If the team continues to suck, Gragg needs to grow a pair and fire him. Even if so, this doesn't change his place in NU history. One of our top 5 greatest players, and our #1 coach by a wide margin.
NU AD’s Office, delivered sternly:

”Ah, Coach Fitzgerald, please come in. Have a seat. Thank you for coming today. We have two things I would like to accomplish this morning. First, I would like to hear a summary of your plans for the remaining recruiting season, and how you plan to address key areas of concern on the football team’s roster before next season. Then we need to get you measured for your statue outside of the new stadium.”

NU AD’s Office, delivered sternly:

”Ah, Coach Fitzgerald, please come in. Have a seat. Thank you for coming today. We have two things I would like to accomplish this morning. First, I would like to hear a summary of your plans for the remaining recruiting season, and how you plan to address key areas of concern on the football team’s roster before next season. Then we need to get you measured for your statue outside of the new stadium.”
I could see that this could limit the AD's effectiveness, measuring him for a statue.
Sort of a statue of limitations.

Let's have a balanced viewpoint. I am extremely pi$$ed at the guy at the moment because of traits that I choose to ignore when the team is successful. However, by any measure, he's far and away the most successful coach in NU history. Nobody else is even close. Don't tell me about a guy that had 2 great years and left us in shambles (Barney), or another guy that had 2 great years and was sort of forced out (Ara). I respect sustained success and loyalty.

Are we trending in the wrong direction? Yes. Is there precedence of other like-programs getting rid of historically successful/respected coaches who have struggled lately? Yes - TCU and Duke (sort of). Fitz will not be fired, but if, hypothetically, he were to be fired, he would remain the greatest coach in program history, certainly for the rest of my life. NU would have to attract an up and coming Matt Campbell AND have the guy stay for 15 years to replicate Fitz's success. Oh, and btw, Campbell's predecessor at Toledo was none other than Tim Beckman. Careful what you wish for.

I believe the average length of a NU football coache's tenure is 7 seasons. Since Fitz has been around for 16, the fact of him being the most successful coach in NU history loses its weight a bit. His real success will be judged in the end how he leaves the program when he is done. He gets credit for 2015-18, but if he doesn't get back to that he will be seen as just holding the line from where Barnett and Walker built it up. Fitz is a good coach, but he isn't a Barry Alvarez or Hayden Fry.

Reactions: IGNORE2 and Bweiny
I believe the average length of a NU football coache's tenure is 7 seasons. Since Fitz has been around for 16, the fact of him being the most successful coach in NU history loses its weight a bit. His real success will be judged in the end how he leaves the program when he is done. He gets credit for 2015-18, but if he doesn't get back to that he will be seen as just holding the line from where Barnett and Walker built it up. Fitz is a good coach, but he isn't a Barry Alvarez or Hayden Fry.
He also deserves credit for 2007-12 where we averaged 7.5 wins a year. Some can be attributed to Walker recruits, but he did a good job in a tough situation. His body of work isn't just 2015-18 plus 2020. He's had a lot of success. He isn't a guy that coached 30 years and won 4 games a year. he's just not.

But...trends change quickly. He used to crow about 36 wins in 4 years, and now about 2 B1GW titles in 3 years. But what about - 4 losing seasons in 9 years? Does that become the dominant trend? Stanford has now had 4 years of finishing unranked, and 2 of 3 losing seasons. Is Shaw now in trouble?

He also deserves credit for 2007-12 where we averaged 7.5 wins a year. Some can be attributed to Walker recruits, but he did a good job in a tough situation. His body of work isn't just 2015-18 plus 2020. He's had a lot of success. He isn't a guy that coached 30 years and won 4 games a year. he's just not.

But...trends change quickly. He used to crow about 36 wins in 4 years, and now about 2 B1GW titles in 3 years. But what about - 4 losing seasons in 9 years? Does that become the dominant trend? Stanford has now had 4 years of finishing unranked, and 2 of 3 losing seasons. Is Shaw now in trouble?
Fitz is a good coach, a very good coach in fact, but to go from first to worst and do it back to back is not a good trend, in fact it is unheard of. His ball control offense just won't get the program over the hump anymore. The poor boog has a lot going against him with the new era of CFB and the new rules in effect.

Reactions: KappaKat

Certainly your comment is reasonable.
And we appreciate the bowl games and I think last year was his best....but the problem with your position is that it gives Fitz full credit with no recognition of Hankwitz.

Imo, this season confirms that Hankwitz gets more credit than Fitz. Without Hankwitz, what has Fitz done except scream "mommy". Bob Davie 0.0

And perhaps you're intelligent enough to know that we are not LSU nor Alabama? The scale you infer certainly has no NU index included.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT