Fitz’s Record with Hankwitz as DC:
Overall: 96 wins, 67 losses (59%)
Conference: 58 wins, 49 losses (60%)
Bowl games: 5-5 (50%)

Fitz’s Record without Hankwitz as DC:
Overall: 13 wins, 23 losses (36%)
Conference: 6 wins, 19 losses (32%)
Zero Bowl Game Appearances

…folks, the numbers kind of speak for themselves. What am I missing?
Stats are for losers. What were the graduation rates?

Nothing. It is much easier to win when you have a Hall of Fame-caliber defensive coordinator. That’s not exactly an earth shattering conclusion.

Nothing. It is much easier to win when you have a Hall of Fame-caliber defensive coordinator. That’s not exactly an earth shattering conclusion.
Okay so next question: what are our odds of winning with a Hall of Shame-caliber defensive coordinator like JON?

And how can Fitz land another defensive HOF DC if he lets the program rot away to a shell of itself as we’re currently witnessing?

Okay so next question: what are our odds of winning with a Hall of Shame-caliber defensive coordinator like JON?

And how can Fitz land another defensive HOF DC if he lets the program rot away to a shell of itself as we’re currently witnessing?

Much worse.

There aren’t many of those guys to go around.

So you're going to build the argument on what amounts to Fitz's first two seasons and this one past season?

As I recall, Hank was a part of some losing seasons as well.

Not a JON apologist here...just saying this is why stats are for losers.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
So you're going to build the argument on what amounts to Fitz's first two seasons and this one past season?

As I recall, Hank was a part of some losing seasons as well.

Not a JON apologist here...just saying this is why stats are for losers.
Really getting tired of the "stats are for losers" line. It's a meaningless statement that contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation.

It all started here years ago with Fitz using it when he didn't have a good excuse for a lousy performance. I don't think I've ever heard it used anywhere else by other coaches. Let's give it a rest and come up with something a lot more meaningful instead.

In fact, I don't think I've heard Fitz use it for a while. Maybe he has finally realized that it's not only meaningless, but also embarrassing.

Now with regard to JON that's another matter. His performance so far has been dismal and I have serious reservations whether he is capable of doing any better in the future. The D was getting burned in the same way in the last game of the season as they were in the first game. It's as though they learned absolutely nothing all season. And I see that as directly on the DC.

Be careful, you are trampling on sacred ground. Lol
The data you posted concludes that all credit should go to Hankwitz.
Imo Fitz doesnt really know much at all about coaching. Myself and many on this board would do a much better job being a head coach. He doesnt understand player or coach talent.
Im not tooting my own horn, i never coached, but I know I could do better than him without Hankwitz.
Fitz is a pretender.

Much worse.

There aren’t many of those guys to go around.
Not that it matters, because he won't fire JON, but there are guys that can do this, quickly, even if it is for the short term. Schiano did it for OSU whilst he 'rehabbed' to get another gig at RU. Gary Patterson is still out there and is unlikely to be one of the $8 million head coaches. Wait until the coaching carousel stops and get someone that didn't end up with a huge gig.

Not gonna happen, only hope is that co-DC Mac can do something to help.

• Love
Reactions: drewjin
Really getting tired of the "stats are for losers" line. It's a meaningless statement that contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation.

It all started here years ago with Fitz using it when he didn't have a good excuse for a lousy performance. I don't think I've ever heard it used anywhere else by other coaches. Let's give it a rest and come up with something a lot more meaningful instead.

In fact, I don't think I've heard Fitz use it for a while. Maybe he has finally realized that it's not only meaningless, but also embarrassing.

Now with regard to JON that's another matter. His performance so far has been dismal and I have serious reservations whether he is capable of doing any better in the future. The D was getting burned in the same way in the last game of the season as they were in the first game. It's as though they learned absolutely nothing all season. And I see that as directly on the DC.
Let’s embrace the suck then?

Reactions: iskaboo

It's almost like the guy who won 400 games as a defensive coach / coordinator for 50+ years knew a bit about football.

He made the change to bring in Hank after inheriting the previous staff. Give it a break.

He made the change to bring in Hank after inheriting the previous staff. Give it a break.
The beautiful thing is that we can add this year's record, probably next year's record and it will be fun to watch how the defender's excuses evolve.

I will say maybe PF is a terrible coach - that the bulk of the credit for our successes fall upon the defenses and intangibles beyond them brought forth by Hank. Prove me wrong. And as long as PF remains stubborn and beyond reproach, we will get to observe the truth or falsity unfold. That easy. If nothing else, PF's stature assures us the opportunity to watch it play out for a ...very...long...time - like Ages...

Hank is a genius!

The beautiful thing is that we can add this year's record, probably next year's record and it will be fun to watch how the defender's excuses evolve.

I will say maybe PF is a terrible coach - that the bulk of the credit for our successes fall upon the defenses and intangibles beyond them brought forth by Hank. Prove me wrong. And as long as PF remains stubborn and beyond reproach, we will get to observe the truth or falsity unfold. That easy. If nothing else, PF's stature assures us the opportunity to watch it play out for a ...very...long...time - like Ages...
We have remained in the bottom-third of Division I offensive categories throughout PFs tenure. With defense as a foundation its as if good-enough offense is part of the formula. PF has a perfect storm of unaccountability. Its like asking a Catholic priest for marriage advice.

We have remained in the bottom-third of Division I offensive categories throughout PFs tenure. With defense as a foundation its as if good-enough offense is part of the formula. PF has a perfect storm of unaccountability. Its like asking a Catholic priest for marriage advice.

In stats are for losers, you cannot escape the Wins and Losses statistic. All the rest are meant to try to explain why a W or a L. And we have a little no Hank time to start, lots of Hank time and undoubtedly another 12 games of no Hank. That is statistically very relevant. And since PF is choosing his own staff - nothing forced down his throat - there is absolutely no one else to blame. Same admissions office, even better facilities, same type of student body - nope, only variable is PF and Co. Let's get some more statistics. I think next year might just be enough for this tinder box. One thing is for sure - I will be gladly going to a bowl game or I will be along a very large chorus calling for PF's firing.

show us any evidence that Fitz is at least a C level coach, without using Hankwitz years. The data is in, and there is no evidence that Fitz knows what he is doing nor does he possibly know how to fix the problem. He rearranged the coaching chairs on this sinking ship. Bad!

Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE2
…but then he made the change to bring in JON as Hank’s successor when he had over a year to prepare for Hank’s retirement. And then he kept JON after he crafted the worst defense Fitz has ever had as a HC for some befuddling reason.

Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE2
…but then he made the change to bring in JON as Hank’s successor when he had over a year to prepare for Hank’s retirement. And then he kept JON after he crafted the worst defense Fitz has ever had as a HC for some befuddling reason.
Anybody else think someone else might have orchestrated PF bringing in Hank? Considering what a homer PF for his friends?

Can’t the AD just fire the coordinators? What could Fitz do? I suppose he could quit but then he wouldn’t get paid.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Can’t the AD just fire the coordinators? What could Fitz do? I suppose he could quit but then he wouldn’t

Can’t the AD just fire the coordinators? What could Fitz do? I suppose he could quit but then he wouldn’t get paid.
That's just not going to happen without Fitz on board.

And if we do have another season like this last one, Fitz will be on board I'd imagine.

[/QUOTE]
That's just not going to happen without Fitz on board.

And if we do have another season like this last one, Fitz will be on board I'd imagine.
Although Fitz would have been fired at most programs for such a vomit inducing season, each coordinator would have been whacked by head coaches, mid season, at all other programs.
This is a derelict of duties by Fitz and thoroughly disrespectful and an unintelligent action.

Many of the comments on the Rock insist on comparing 2021 to 2019 as a sign of hope but the comments necessarily have to give equal weight between Hankwitz and his pal JON. Its simply illogical. Our defenses in 2019 and 2020 were ranked top 30 and in 2019 we had last second losses in the bigten that could have netted us 4 bigten wins.
This year, i dont remember if we were ever within 2 scores. It was impossible for charlie to lose a game for us.
A true comparison of this year is found in the 1970s, otherwise known as the dark ages.
No saving Patrick Ryan next year.

The good news is I won't take in the spectacle in person next year except for SIU or Miami of Ohio. 2022 is going to be a blood bath. Maybe a press conference meltdown by week 8? Maybe a mid-season firing? High profile sideline incident? PF knowingly is lashing himself to the mast of the sinking ship. At least guys like Frost have some concept of self-preservation.

The good news is I won't take in the spectacle in person next year except for SIU or Miami of Ohio. 2022 is going to be a blood bath. Maybe a press conference meltdown by week 8? Maybe a mid-season firing? High profile sideline incident? PF knowingly is lashing himself to the mast of the sinking ship. At least guys like Frost have some concept of self-preservation.
SIU is solid. In playoffs.

Prove you wrong. First, I will not engage if you come up with other excuses for success in the examples below. Second, let's give credit for taking over for Walker and getting the program back on its feet. Third, 09-11 years had modest success and little defense, so let's say Hank had to be "carried" during that period.. Fourth, having a creative offense in 2012 was at least as responsible for that breakout year as the defense, plus great special teams. Next, 2016 team, after a dreadful start came back and scored a lot of points. Finally, let me know if you want a list if games where the defense was ass during Hank's tenure.

PS: just as Fitz deserves blame for sh1tting the bed on the DC hire, he deserves credit for getting and keeping Hank..

NU will smoke them in the Braden Jones bowl.
I remember him in the state playoffs. Tremendous athlete. Would have been great on the offensuve side but it didnt appear he really had the passion for defense. If him and Loren were more focused, both could have been great.

PS: just as Fitz deserves blame for sh1tting the bed on the DC hire, he deserves credit for getting and keeping Hank..
Getting Hankwitz, meh, was really a Barnett guy that Fitz was lucky to have come available when he was a very young coach. The patience to keep Hankwitz, absolutely, probably the best thing Fitz has ever done as HC.

The defense really stunk it up in 2010-11, but unlike the present day, we had an offense that had Hankwitz's back and got us wins and to bowls (unfortunately just an extra loss until 2012). 2012 is when Hank's side kicked it into gear, and if it weren't for some 4th quarter/OT breakdowns, Fitz's best chance to win the B1G could've been converted. And it should be noted that Hankwitz made significant improvement with a young defense that year. If you're recruiting decently and have competent coaches, you don't have to gaslight us with excuses about youth.

Prove you wrong. First, I will not engage if you come up with other excuses for success in the examples below. Second, let's give credit for taking over for Walker and getting the program back on its feet. Third, 09-11 years had modest success and little defense, so let's say Hank had to be "carried" during that period.. Fourth, having a creative offense in 2012 was at least as responsible for that breakout year as the defense, plus great special teams. Next, 2016 team, after a dreadful start came back and scored a lot of points. Finally, let me know if you want a list if games where the defense was ass during Hank's tenure.

I’m content to watch his success next year. We will simply have to agree to disagree on many of your points like the quality of the team left when Walker died.

One interesting factoid that I’m too lazy to look up would be where our defense and offense ranked each year of PF’s tenure.

Oh, and I’m not sure PF deserves the cr sit for Hank. I’ll agree that at a minimum, he gets credit for letting people around him influence him into the selection. But I tend to believe that someone else induced the Hank hire.

Oh, and I’m not sure PF deserves the cr sit for Hank. I’ll agree that at a minimum, he gets credit for letting people around him influence him into the selection. But I tend to believe that someone else induced the Hank hire.
Nah. Fitz hired Hankwitz.

He also hired JON and Bajakian.

1 out of 3 is pretty bad.

I’m debating if I want to update this thread’s records after the season. Not sure I want to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT