ADVERTISEMENT

Fitz asking for $130M in lawsuit

This writeup contains significantly more detail. The crux appears to be an ‘oral contract’ the day before the release went out stating that Fitzgerald would not be subject to additionally disciplinary action.

Also confirmed: Fitz was already going to be on vacation for the two-week suspension.

Good for Fitz!!!! I hope he get it all and then some.
And who benefits from that other than Fitz? I hope Fitz gets a fair settlement, but sucking $100 million+ from a university is going to hurt lots of students, faculty, and staff. Paying Fitz $130 million versus $50 million will not somehow improve NU's behavior in the future, and it probably won't increase the chances of Schill and Gragg being fired. Unfortunately, this is just going to drag on for years; I wish we could just pay Fitz his $40-50 million and fire Gragg and Schill and move on.

Reactions: CatManTrue
And who benefits from that other than Fitz? I hope Fitz gets a fair settlement, but sucking $100 million+ from a university is going to hurt lots of students, faculty, and staff. Paying Fitz $130 million versus $50 million will not somehow improve NU's behavior in the future, and it probably won't increase the chances of Schill and Gragg being fired. Unfortunately, this is just going to drag on for years; I wish we could just pay Fitz his $40-50 million and fire Gragg and Schill and move on.
Maybe he will use the money to donate to True NU! that would be a win-win

I hope the university publicly acknowledges that Schill had no grounds to fire Fitz for cause, then fires Schill for his gross incompetence and his duplicitous backstabbing (and also Gragg for being a waste of space), and then Fitz and the university agree that there is no need for damages beyond his contract buyout because, since Fitz was not fired for cause, there is no hit to his reputation.

Good for Fitz!!!! I hope he get it all and then some.
Can we at least wait until my daughter graduates in June?

Actually, I was thinking of calling the bursar's office at NU and asking them to refund me the portion of Fitz's salary that I am paying (its about $5,000,000 / 8000 = $625.) Not sure they have a counter argument.

Reactions: CatManTrue
I know IGNORE2 will argue, but you have scored a knockout.

I like both of you guys (or at least much of what you post) but this one is settled.
To be clear, I am supportive of all the lawsuits. May enough survive motion practice and very into discovery so we get some better answers.

Reactions: zanycat
He has! Let the discovery process begin. Former students and PF should not both win.
Speaking of former students, you missed one heck of a tweet involving a former student that has already been purged from this thread and the Rock. It's going to be an interesting day in court for the accusers if there's more of that stuff out there.

Speaking of former students, you missed one heck of a tweet involving a former student that has already been purged from this thread and the Rock. It's going to be an interesting day in court for the accusers if there's more of that stuff out there.
I saw that. What was the source?

To the attorneys on the site, how much in attorneys fees is NU facing? If NU doesn’t settle and the loses and appeals it seems to me the attorney fees on both sides will be astronomical for both sides. It’s a huge potential financial hit for NU. (But the MSU/Tucker fiasco seems to have taken over the limelight so maybe that may deflect some of the bad publicity NU has received over our own fiasco and weak response.) I wonder if Fitz will be willing to settle or if this case will go to trial.

Please summarize. Surely we aren't censoring facts.

• Love
Reactions: IGNORE2 and drewjin

The settlement will be mostly if not entirely covered by insurance. That’s not a correct card to play here.

Reactions: No Chores
Can we at least wait until my daughter graduates in June?

Actually, I was thinking of calling the bursar's office at NU and asking them to refund me the portion of Fitz's salary that I am paying (its about $5,000,000 / 8000 = $625.) Not sure they have a counter argument.
A good amount of his salary was paid for by the Jones family. So you’re not paying what you calculated above.

Reactions: drewjin
The settlement will be mostly if not entirely covered by insurance. That’s not a correct card to play here.
GCG,

Any payments to the students will probably be covered by insurance. Fitzgerald’s suit, either for breach of contract or defamation, would probably fall outside insurance coverage and be paid by the school.

Reactions: catfans5
GCG,

Any payments to the students will probably be covered by insurance. Fitzgerald’s suit, either for breach of contract or defamation, would probably fall outside insurance coverage and be paid by the school.

I have no direct experience or knowledge, but that is at odds with what I’ve heard from folks very close to the situation.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I have no direct experience or knowledge, but that is at odds with what I’ve heard from folks very close to the situation.
Thinking more about this you are probably right. NU is so big they are probably self-insured up to a certain high amount. Beyond that limit, however high it might be, they may well have an excess policy.

And any insurance they have will not pay for intentional or willful acts.

Thinking more about this you are probably right. NU is so big they are probably self-insured up to a certain high amount. Beyond that limit, however high it might be, they may well have an excess policy.

And any insurance they have will not pay for intentional or willful acts.

There is a combination of self-insurance and a very large excess policy from what I know, but do not have exact figures.

Reactions: fcmchi
You think that if a court determines Fitz was wrongfully terminated and is entitled to over $100 mm in damages that won't impact Schill's job security? I am pretty convinced this will be the reason he is ultimately fired. He fired Fitz thinking that this action would limit the University's liability and save its reputation but ironically I think he did just the opposite. The legal costs and payouts NU will incur will be tangible proof of that and result in Schill's exit.

Look at what USC paid out to victims of the doctor who just passed away (2017 case- huge payout). Michigan State is facing a huge liability with their own hc fiasco (and prior to that MSU has paid over $500M to victims of criminal Larry Nassar.)

Reactions: No Chores
Rittenberg posted a few statements yesterday, one from the University and one on behalf of the Yates / Carnifax / Long / were there others? group.

There is a combination of self-insurance and a very large excess policy from what I know, but do not have exact figures.
I will address a couple of things which will include attorneys fees, insurance, and punitive damages. I retired six years ago, so my thoughts may be dated, but I was on the civil defense side. If I am wrong, I hope someone will correct me. I do not know the policy limits, the self isured retainer (sir) or the contract languauge, or the pleadings, but I will speak in some generalities.

Punitive Damages. These are not covered by insurance. It is against public policy. In Illinois, you cannot seek punitive damages in your initial complaint. You have to bring a motion and supply the court with evidnec that the defendant acted intentionally, wilfully or wantonly, or with a reckless disregard for reasonable conduct.

Insurance. I did not do insurance coverage work, but was involved with insurance coverage issues. When one is involved in an accident, the insurance carrier will pay for the costs of the litigation, your attorney's fees and and a judgment up to the policy limits. If you have an umbrella policy, this will not come into play until you exhaust the underlying policy limits. The umbrella carrier could be the same company or a different one. For years, I had American Family as my underlying carrierand AIG as my umbrella carrier. Generally, American Family would be on the hook for all the attorney fees, even though AIG might have to pay from its policy. There are plenty of exceptions and manuevers for responsbility of the attorney fees, but there are so many variables that it is not worth exploring

I can think of three diferent insurance coverages that might be involved for NU: general liability, errors and omissions and/or directors and officers, and employment insurance for race claims, discrim and etc. All these policies will have specfic exclusions, such as breach of contract, and etc. NU has to tender to each of these carriers on each of these cases. The carriers then have to respond which can be acceptance of the claim, acceptanceanc with a reservation of rights if facts come out which changes the circumstances, or a denial of coverage fo the claim.

For an entity like NU, I would expect the SIR might be different on each policy, but I will use $3 million. From there, one company may be the next level to $5 million, and then excess insurance can go into many layers to a huge number. The insurance companies will do everything to avoid their policy limits being triggered. Thus, under my scenario, NU will be responsbiel for all attorneys fees, costs and a judgment up to $3 million. Let's say a player hits NU for $2.5 million judgment. Northwesten will have to pay for $2.5 million and all the attorney fees and costs associated with it. The next level of insurance is not triggered. NU could spend $4 million in satisfying the judgment and defending itself.

Attorney Fees NU has to defend itself. It gets interesting when you have the players' lawsuits which I guess names Schill, Fitz, Gragg, Phillips, Morty and etc. both as agents and individaully. Generally, you try to put all the defendants under one firm and defend them, but there are so many conflicts of interest between the defendants and Northwestern. On the players' suits, they could be open to punitive damages. If I am Phillips, I tender my defense to NU, but demand that they provide me with my own, independent counsel to protect me and my family. I have no idea what the insurance policies or their employment agreements provide, but NU could be on the hook for the counsel for all the individual defendants. The attorney fees will be quite large.

Oh, this will get uglier.

This is very funny because Fitz’s lawsuit is solely against the university and its president and based in employment and contract law (and some tort, but I don’t see that being a strong portion of their case). It has nothing to do with the players.

Meanwhile, the players have sued Fitz directly and made a number of assertions in public and filings as to him being racist, an enabler of sexual violence, etc.

So, who made it personal, again?

What a chickenspit response from the Schills at the university.

Release the damned report and let us see for ourselves!
That sort of weakass statement just reinforces my dislike for how they handle everything.

"He had the responsibility to know that hazing was occurring and to stop it."

That is an opinion, not a fact.

That sort of weakass statement just reinforces my dislike for how they handle everything.

"He had the responsibility to know that hazing was occurring and to stop it."

That is an opinion, not a fact.
No, that's straight out of the termination clause in his contract.

Reactions: zanycat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT