ADVERTISEMENT

Fitz bolsters staff...new hires geared to enhance recruiting.

CoralSpringsCat

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2002
Coral Springs, FL
As per Chris Vannini of coachingsearch.com Fitz has made some fairly significant hires that should not only bolster recruiting, but should also put current members of the coaching staff on notice. I'm glad to see Fitz is not standing pat and is taking steps to improve his staff and the overall performance of the team.

Here are the details per Chris:

Northwestern: [/B]Per source, former Southern University tight ends coach Justin Poindexter[/B], former Alabama player personnel assistant Steven Pursley[/B] and former Towson assistant recruiting coordinator Steven Schrum[/B] have joined the Northwestern staff as recruiting assistants. Poindexter spent two seasons at Southern after an internship with the Big Ten, Pursley spent two seasons at Alabama, and Schrum spent one season at Towson.

Poindexter

Pursley

Schrum

Link

Where did Chris Vannini say anything about putting members of the coaching staff on notice? The only person on notice is GoCatsGo. He may be replaced as the boards favorite member by some other guy with insider info.

I really don't think the coaching that is responsible for breaking a bowl losing streak is going to be worried about losing their jobs to a grad assistant turned videographer intern for the big ten, a personnel assistant, or an assistant recruiting coordinator.

This post was edited on 4/15 7:20 PM by realcatfan

So what are the roles that these guys will be in? I know that the number of coaches would be limited but what about support people? Are they replacing guys?

My guess is that they have been brought on to help pump up recruiting...I see them as a bit of a supplement to some of the more senior guys (Hank, McCall and Brown) who are not necessarily going to be doing a lot of the nitty gritty type recruiting. They look to all be young guys with solid experience in fairly fertile recruiting locales...I took it as a positive investment in the program and evidence that scouting and recruiting is the lifeblood in building a successful program.

Originally posted by realcatfan:
Where did Chris Vannini say anything about putting members of the coaching staff on notice? The only person on notice is GoCatsGo. He may be replaced as the boards favorite member by some other guy with insider info. I really don't think the coaching that is responsible for breaking a bowl losing streak is going to be worried about losing their jobs to a grad assistant turned videographer intern for the big ten, a personnel assistant, or an assistant recruiting coordinator.

Wait, what? How did I get pulled into this? I don't really have any insider information at this point, just a good feel for how the staff goes about its recruiting evaluations and processes.

Originally posted by CoralSpringsCat:
My guess is that they have been brought on to help pump up recruiting...I see them as a bit of a supplement to some of the more senior guys (Hank, McCall and Brown) who are not necessarily going to be doing a lot of the nitty gritty type recruiting. They look to all be young guys with solid experience in fairly fertile recruiting locales...I took it as a positive investment in the program and evidence that scouting and recruiting is the lifeblood in building a successful program.
The NCAA tweaked some of its rules a couple years back that effectively allow for entire personnel departments to be formed at BCS schools. This is nothing more than hiring for positions that had been vacated by others (Kwame Ageyman leaving for Oregon, etc.).

Originally posted by gocatsgo2003:
Originally posted by realcatfan:
Where did Chris Vannini say anything about putting members of the coaching staff on notice? The only person on notice is GoCatsGo. He may be replaced as the boards favorite member by some other guy with insider info. I really don't think the coaching that is responsible for breaking a bowl losing streak is going to be worried about losing their jobs to a grad assistant turned videographer intern for the big ten, a personnel assistant, or an assistant recruiting coordinator.

Wait, what? How did I get pulled into this? I don't really have any insider information at this point, just a good feel for how the staff goes about its recruiting evaluations and processes.
Sorry, didn't meant to pull you in. You just seem to have some knowledge about recruiting, and I thought you said you were with the staff awhile back in a recruiting assistant type of role that these guys just got hired to. I was trying to say that these guys are more likely to come to the message board in a few years after getting cycled through instead of joining the coaching staff because the current coaching staff gets fired like some fake cat fans want.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT