ADVERTISEMENT

Fitz Flashback Friday: Looking back at the Class of 2009

Fields was overvalued. He quit football because he was not talented enough to be an impact back. He lacked the speed for a guy of his size.

Goodlow would have been an impact player if not for his terrible injury luck. He was just snake-bitten. If he's healthy, he's one of the better OLBs in recent NU history.

Reactions: MickeyCat
Fields was overvalued. He quit football because he was not talented enough to be an impact back. He lacked the speed for a guy of his size.

Goodlow would have been an impact player if not for his terrible injury luck. He was just snake-bitten. If he's healthy, he's one of the better OLBs in recent NU history.

I think Fields' indecisiveness may have been his biggest fault. He liked to chop his feet in the hole and wouldn't make one cut and go. He also fumbled the ball at a couple key moments and Fitz buried him on the bench.

I felt bad about rating Goodlow undervalued because I agree -- he looked like a playmaker as a true freshman. He just never could stay healthy.

Counting the red shirt year, they had season records of 8-5, 7-6, 6-7,10-3, and 5-7, including four bowl games. Evaluating in retrospect, they did better than the individual evaluations would suggest.
The 5 and 7 season would be indicative of less Sr leadership as many had left.

This is fun, Lou. Keep on doing it.

I remember the excitement for Battle, Custis, and Fleming. Oh well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT