ADVERTISEMENT

Fitz is Big Ten Coach of the Year

Congratulations to Pat Fitzgerald!! One of the all time greats.

Mason and Hall raved about the job Fitz and the staff did this year. When you think back about the adversity the team has faced, it is just a remarkable season:

Thorson and Hall recover from serious knee injuries

Larkin retires after 3 games

Injuries along the OL early including both tackles and a team Captain Guard

Injuries to the DBs including perhaps the best CB in the B1G

Playing 3 teams (ND, Michigan and OSU) who could/will be in the CFP

9 of the 13 games will be against Bowl teams.

All credit to Fitz, the assistants, the players and SMedium Spanos.

Last edited:
Meyer? Pretty sure you cannot win if you are suspended for 3 games

Fitz was the easy choice this year considering the talent he has to work with when stacked up against OSU, Michigan, PSU...…. a no-brainer

That OSU dry spell (1979) goes through Cooper, Tressel, and Meyer. None have won the media or coaches

Congrats to the players, players' families, and the coaches. It's a team sport and a team victory. That said, I look forward to the opening of the 30,000 seat, retractable-domed "Pat Fitzgerald Stadium". It's a great pleasure to be an NU football fan. Go Cats.

Mason and Hall raved about the job Fitz and the staff did this year. When you think back about the adversity the team has faced, it is just a remarkable season:

8 or the 12 games will be against Bowl teams.

I like your list but will anyone less biased than one of us lay out the list and expound on his greatness? I'm not saying they won't I just want to read about it.

Reactions: rmndcat

8 or the 12 games will be against Bowl teams.

Nice post. When you spell it all out like that it really has been an incredible run. Let’s keep it going on Saturday.

Reactions: NJCat
With the amount of talent they have had, I am not sure any OSU coach would deserve it.
So, even when OSU goes undefeated, beats the consensus number one team in Miami, a team that had won 34 games in a row, Tressel didn't deserve National Coach of the Year, let alone Big Ten COY? Meyer winning the first ever playoffs and beating the number one and number two teams in the country soundly? No award? Let's face it: jealousy is an ugly thing

Fitz was the easy choice this year considering the talent he has to work with when stacked up against OSU, Michigan, PSU...…. a no-brainer

That OSU dry spell (1979) goes through Cooper, Tressel, and Meyer. None have won the media or coaches

Congratulations to Fitz, he definitely deserved it. The team could have gone in an opposite direction with the season’s start. It’s unlikely that an OSU coach will win it in the near future. Not when even if a victory over NU and a Rose Bowl in a one loss season is considered a disappointing year. I do think Meyer deserved it in 2014, but if he can’t win it in that type of year, then again it won’t ever happen.

Congratulations to Fitz, he definitely deserved it. The team could have gone in an opposite direction with the season’s start. It’s unlikely that an OSU coach will win it in the near future. Not when even if a victory over NU and a Rose Bowl in a one loss season is considered a disappointing year. I do think Meyer deserved it in 2014, but if he can’t win it in that type of year, then again it won’t ever happen.
Klem....do you think Urban will be back in 2019? Very worried about his health.

So, even when OSU goes undefeated, beats the consensus number one team in Miami, a team that had won 34 games in a row, Tressel didn't deserve National Coach of the Year, let alone Big Ten COY? Meyer winning the first ever playoffs and beating the number one and number two teams in the country soundly? No award? Let's face it: jealousy is an ugly thing
He was unlikely to win it in a year OSU suspended him. In some other years he should have been a top candidate or the favorite.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT