ADVERTISEMENT

Flagrant on Ryan about worst call I've ever seen

In the Big 10 as recently as a decade ago, each official even submitted an evaluation of both partners for every game! (Again, unless it's changed) there's both an in-person appraisal and a supervisor's video evaluation after every game.
Man, I'd like to FOIA those for our refs.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Can you the explain the Flagrant 2 on Ryan. Replays which the officials spent numerous minutes reviewing showed that Ryan’s “hitting” the Rutgers player was in the midsection not the groin and certainly looked unintentional.
No explanation from me. On TV I saw that the same way you did. My partisan interest in Cats sports would disqualify me from properly evaluating the decision anyway. We move on.

Main point in my prior tirade was just to assure that there's a process of "review" (not from an NBA-type centralized setup) of just about everything that happens oncourt during a big-time college game. Officials are indeed held accountable over the course of a season's work ... just not in reaction to a single emotionally charged incident.

But let's admit it: Langborg is a thug. But he's OUR thug. Let no one be fooled by his choirboy demeanor. Opposing players should beware and guard him very carefully, or pay the price. ;)

But let's admit it: Langborg is a thug. But he's OUR thug. Let no one be fooled by his choirboy demeanor. Opposing players should beware and guard him very carefully, or pay the price. ;)
Wait...he is? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I honestly haven't noticed. I suppose I've been fooled by the choirboy demeanor, but his play doesn't seem more physical than normal, and aside from the flagrant call against Rutgers (which in my own biased state was him merely trying to clear some room, but I'll conceded that according to the letter of the law is a foul on him), I can't recall him ever doing anything that looked thuggish.

John Stockton also looked like a choirboy and was one of my all-time favorite players, but that guy was dangerous.

• Haha
Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Wait...he is? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I honestly haven't noticed. I suppose I've been fooled by the choirboy demeanor, but his play doesn't seem more physical than normal, and aside from the flagrant call against Rutgers (which in my own biased state was him merely trying to clear some room, but I'll conceded that according to the letter of the law is a foul on him), I can't recall him ever doing anything that looked thuggish.

John Stockton also looked like a choirboy and was one of my all-time favorite players, but that guy was dangerous.
C'mon man, everybody knows that the biggest thugs in basketball grow up on the mean streets of La Jolla, California. They're all in gangs... of surfers.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Truly, Smelly, do you really think there's no review of Big 10 hoops officials in place? Unless things have drastically changed in the past 7-8 yrs, I can attest that every court official, every game, is evaluated on every possession. In the Big 10 as recently as a decade ago, each official even submitted an evaluation of both partners for every game! (Again, unless it's changed) there's both an in-person appraisal and a supervisor's video evaluation after every game. As NU Houston describes, there are consequences -- particularly for conference tournament and post-season assignments -- for negative evaluations. I personally know two officials who were end-of-season "de-listed" (fired) for overall sub-standard performance. Objective appraisal is a continuous process.

Another thing: with rare exceptions there's no such thing as a Big 10-only basketball official. Most are on rosters for at least 2-3 different conferences (different from football, for instance). So an official working Big 10 one night have a Big 12 or Atlantic 10 assignment a night or two later. Harangues seen here over "Big 10 officiating" are misguided; if officials are lousy (as prized poster Lunker, for instance, consistently contends), they're equally lousy everywhere. (Two men's basketball coaches in the Big 12 this season have recently been tossed from games a-la-Collins for demonstrations against their conference's officiating.)

I called basketball (and two other sports) for 30 years and never even approached a D-1 level of ball. Never tried. But I was a member of NASO (National Association of Sports Officials) and attended a number of its annual conventions. It was interesting and satisfying to be around top officials of all sports, basketball included. Virtually without exception they were Grade A people, committed to striving for excellence in their sport and other aspects of life.

Isolated calls or no-calls can and will always be questioned, particularly given the video scrutiny to which so many games are subject now. But I implore anyone to think very carefully before questioning an official's integrity or accusing one of pre-existing bias.

I apologize if the preceding screed has been tedious to read, but I was obviously moved to respond to remarks made on this board and of course in many other places.
That one ref that ccc charged has been either very bad consistently one sided or has an anti-NU bias.

Sorry, I was being facetious. Longborg is least likely to be guilty of thuggery. Though do remember, he came from the ruthless and mean corridors of Princeton. Those people are not to be trifled with.
Well, you got me. For a moment I thought...am I just blind to it? I'll admit I watched him more closely tonight!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT