ADVERTISEMENT

Football stadiums as Final Four venues

WestCoastWildcat

May 29, 2001
Del Mar, CA
I get why Final Four games have been played in indoor football stadiums but I don’t like it. I think it has to impact the game esp makes it more difficult for shooters. (Would be interesting to know if shooting stats drop in these huge venues.)

Years ago SDSU had a game on an aircraft carrier in San Diego Bay. With the sea breeze and the carrier rocking shooting was almost impossible, esp threes. More games have been played on aircraft carriers here but they present a unique challenge to the offense. My sense is that these large football stadium venues may also adversely impact the offense in these upcoming Final Four games.

As an aside, the first Holiday Bowl game to played at Petco Park happened this year and I think the ballpark was considered to be a successful venue for that football game. (The Padres have spent over $2M to modify Petco Park to convert from baseball to football specifically for the Holiday Bowl. Last year the Holiday Bowl that was supposed to the first to be played at Petco Park was cancelled because of Covid.)

The new SDSU football stadium is hosting the local professional rugby team. I’m looking forward to watch rugby there and check out the new stadium. Could the new NU stadium also host other pro sports teams like rugby and soccer matches or would the neighboring communities blow up on that thought as they’ve gone bonkers over the stadium as a concert venue?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hungry Jack
The new SDSU football stadium is hosting the local professional rugby team. I’m looking forward to watch rugby there and check out the new stadium. Could the new NU stadium also host other pro sports teams like rugby and soccers or would the neighboring communities blow up on that thought as they’ve gone bonkers over the stadium as a concert venue?
WCW, is the new stadium big enough to entice the PAC 8/10/12/whatever to take a look at SDSU for expansion? Obviously they've got the basketball chops, but football is where the bread is buttered.

I remember Kevin O'Neill in an interview during the Final Four was asked about when he was heading over. He said he would be watching on TV from his hotel room because it in person was a terrible experience.

Proximity to the minibar might have been a bigger factor, though.

WCW, is the new stadium big enough to entice the PAC 8/10/12/whatever to take a look at SDSU for expansion? Obviously they've got the basketball chops, but football is where the bread is buttered.
The Aztecs run to the Final Four no doubt has boosted their appeal to other conferences. Leaving the Mountain West Conference and joining another conference like the PACX would also be a jump in revenue and would offer a better geographic alignment for team travel. Aztec teams are currently at a disadvantage traveling to eastern MWC venues to play because of factors like distance, crossing time zones, altitude and ability of Aztec fans to travel to places like Wyoming to support the Aztec teams when they travel.

Regarding athletic facilities, all of SDSU’s venues are top-notch for all sports being on par with those in top conferences.

The new SDSU Snapdragon Stadium is a beautiful facility in Mission Valley,

Though with a capacity of 35,000 it is smaller than the old Qualcomm Stadium where the Wildcats played in the Holiday Bowl vs Utah.
Snapdragon was designed for potential future expansion, esp for another NFL team or move to a larger conference. Viejas Arena is now around 20 years old now but is still considered a top basketball facility on the west coast. SDSU has hosted several NCAA first round tournament games there as well as other big events like the NCAA women’s volleyball games which I attended years ago. All fantastic experiences I enjoyed as a fan.

So yes, San Diego State has excellent athletics facilities to support and draw fans to the next level of conference participation like the PACX.

The football program has been pretty solid under Brady Hoke, he just isn’t my favorite coach to lead the program. (There is an ongoing rape scandal involving former Aztec players that has tarnished the program and has been controversial. But so far it seems not have impacted Hoke’s tenure as the Aztecs football hc.)

In general, SDSU continues to produce top talent for the NFL and other professional sports like golf and soccer. And Aztec basketball alum Kawhi Leonard is back from injury burning the nets for the Clippers.

Last edited:
KON probably sold his tickets to pay for the hookers and booze
KON used to be a regular contributor on local sports talk shows on radio & tv here and I think he still has strong ties to SoCal. I’ve enjoyed his commentary as an expert basketball analyst and think he is a fun on-air personality. Not sure what he is up to these days.

I went to a sweet sixteen round at Ford Field in Detroit. Steph Curry and Davidson playing. Good basketball, terrible fan experience.
I was at Superdome in '82 for the Final Four (MJ hitting jumper before Fred Brown had the brain fart and threw the ball to Worthy). Saturday games we sat on far side of the court -- the court was pushed up against one side of the stadium. The players looked like ants below us, but the picture on the gigantic television screen was incredible. We were so far away, at commercial breaks we could see the band stand up, then heard the sound of their playing. The replay of James Worthy's dunk over one of the Phi Slamma Jamma Houston players was amazing. Great town, great food (Breakfast at Brennan's on someone else's dime cannot be beat!), but lousy place to watch hoops.

I was at Superdome in '82 for the Final Four (MJ hitting jumper before Fred Brown had the brain fart and threw the ball to Worthy). Saturday games we sat on far side of the court -- the court was pushed up against one side of the stadium. The players looked like ants below us, but the picture on the gigantic television screen was incredible. We were so far away, at commercial breaks we could see the band stand up, then heard the sound of their playing. The replay of James Worthy's dunk over one of the Phi Slamma Jamma Houston players was amazing. Great town, great food (Breakfast at Brennan's on someone else's dime cannot be beat!), but lousy place to watch hoops.
Eggs Owen's at Brennan's is an all time favorite.

Agreed, but with my buddy's law firm picking up the tab, and guided by his Tulane-attending younger brother, I went with the escargot, steak and eggs Brennan, along with several milk punches and a Sazerac appertif.

In the past, they'd turn the court and push it up against one end of the football field area, with a curtain put up to close off half the stadium. I guess demand picked up to the point where they decided to put the court back in the middle of the stadium and open all the seats. I'm sure it's a huge revenue draw for the venue and the NCAA, but it makes for a lousy fan experience. I wouldn't attend a Final Four game in a football stadium unless I had a rooting interest in one of the teams (like @CoralSpringsCat does this weekend).

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Actually, in '82 the court was pushed up against one side of the football field, but they sold tickets (high up) on the opposite side. We sat there for the Saturday games, but found a better option for the Monday night.

I’ll never forget ‘93 in the Superdome. The fan experience included a free throw shooting contest against the Coors Light Silver Bullet Sharpshooter. To warm up, I practiced at one of a bunch of the other hoops they had set up for fun. After a miss to start, I ended up making 48 free throws in a row. I even had the crowd line behind me rooting me on. Rims were on the soft side, but I had it going. Then I went up against the SharpShooter in a 10 shot contest. He was an older guy who traveled around doing this - he just flicked the shot with his wrist; no use of legs. I stepped up first - again, missed my first shot, made 8 in a row, and then missed my last (front rim/back rim and out). I knew that wasn’t likely good enough. The SharpShooter got up and actually missed his first, but then proceeded to hit 9 in a row.

Oh yah - and there was a famous “time out” - we could still see Webber motioning for it from our seats in the nosebleed section.

Great story SD. 48 in a row? Don't think I ever made more than mid 30s, tho I got to play in a lot of pickup games at Patten Gym because I was a good free throw shooter (1st 5 to hit get the winners).

Saw a guy in the infield at the Derby set up a rim with no backboard. I think you got 5 shots, and if you hit one you got your money back or something like that. I had a couple catch a lot of rim, but not luck. Kyle Macy was at UK at the time (could have been the Affirmed vs. Alydar year). He stepped up, and even did his routine where he bent down and dried his hands on his socks. He hit all 5 shots, and there must've been 1/3 of the infield crowd watching. It was awesome. Not sure how much the guy paid him, but really amazing.

Great story SD. 48 in a row? Don't think I ever made more than mid 30s, tho I got to play in a lot of pickup games at Patten Gym because I was a good free throw shooter (1st 5 to hit get the winners).

Saw a guy in the infield at the Derby set up a rim with no backboard. I think you got 5 shots, and if you hit one you got your money back or something like that. I had a couple catch a lot of rim, but not luck. Kyle Macy was at UK at the time (could have been the Affirmed vs. Alydar year). He stepped up, and even did his routine where he bent down and dried his hands on his socks. He hit all 5 shots, and there must've been 1/3 of the infield crowd watching. It was awesome. Not sure how much the guy paid him, but really amazing.
Likewise a great story, @Smolmania.

Reactions: No Chores
OK, I'll add a couple of my own free throw stories. In high school,after practice, we ran a half mile for time and then shot 50 free throws. However, you could shoot until you missed, and I once made 72 in a row. While I was at NU, the intramural program had a free throw shooting contest. The fraternities and other dorms and housing units could enter 5 man teams who would shoot 30 apiece, and highest total won. A kid from Phi Delt, Richie Mason, won the individual title by making all 30. His team won as well. I made the first 22, missed number 23 and made the rest. Our team finished second. That was in 1964. Today I can only get a free throw about half way to the basket!! 😂

Last edited:
OK, I'll add a couple of my own free throw stories. In high school,after practice, we ran a half mile for rime and then shot 50 free throws. However, you could shoot until you missed, and I once made 72 in a row. While I was at NU, the intramural program had a free throw shooting contest. The fraternities and other dorms and housing units could enter 5 man teams who would shoot 30 apiece, and highest total won. A kid from Phi Delt, Richie Mason, won the individual title by making all 30. His team won as well. I made the first 22, missed number 23 and made the rest. Our team finished second. That was in 1964. Today I can only get a free throw about half way to the basket!! 😂
Great story!

Disagree. Attended the national championship game in 2019 at (massive) US Bank stadium. That was one of the all time great national championship games and seats weren't terrible. I paid for temporary seats a little in front of the normal stadium seats but was still fairly far away and behind one of the backboards. Not a terrible spot for a game of that size.

As bad as football stadiums are, sitting in the upper deck of a 20k seat arena is no bargain.
Can absolutely confirm this. I used to get partial season tickets for the Bulls. The United Center is, to my knowledge, the largest arena in the NBA and I stopped buying these tickets (they were upstairs, in the 300 level) because they seemed a city block from midcourt. Many - if not most - of the seats in a giant football stadium aren't even in the same area code as the court. Cool to be there for the atmosphere and all, but for actually watching the game . . . . .

Can absolutely confirm this. I used to get partial season tickets for the Bulls. The United Center is, to my knowledge, the largest arena in the NBA and I stopped buying these tickets (they were upstairs, in the 300 level) because they seemed a city block from midcourt. Many - if not most - of the seats in a giant football stadium aren't even in the same area code as the court. Cool to be there for the atmosphere and all, but for actually watching the game . . . . .

People have died in Barclays arena (Brooklyn) from the climb or falling off the steep slope.

I have a made a decision I will pay top dollar - but once a year, even once every two years if that is all I can pay for - and sit in the rich seats rather than go to 10 games in the balcony. Just not worth it.

It is also why I hate the new football stadium idea. No decent - DECENT - cheap seats. How can we call ourselves Chicago's Big Ten team when Joe Sixpack can go to a Bears game for cheaper prices?

Reactions: drewjin
People have died in Barclays arena (Brooklyn) from the climb or falling off the steep slope.

I have a made a decision I will pay top dollar - but once a year, even once every two years if that is all I can pay for - and sit in the rich seats rather than go to 10 games in the balcony. Just not worth it.

It is also why I hate the new football stadium idea. No decent - DECENT - cheap seats. How can we call ourselves Chicago's Big Ten team when Joe Sixpack can go to a Bears game for cheaper prices?
I'm uh...gonna need some sources on that Barclay Center claim, and as far as I'm aware there has been zero pricing information revealed for the new football stadium at all.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
I had no problem with the Final Four venue. Over 73,000 in attendance tonight. The crowd was electric throughout. Site lines were much better than I expected. I was able to watch the court and not the Jumbotrons. Kudos to the staff at NRG, everything ran so smoothly. They had an over abundance of volunteers that seemed to be everywhere assisting whenever necessary.

I had no problem with the Final Four venue. Over 73,000 in attendance tonight. The crowd was electric throughout. Site lines were much better than I expected. I was able to watch the court and not the Jumbotrons. Kudos to the staff at NRG, everything ran so smoothly. They had an over abundance of volunteers that seemed to be everywhere assisting whenever necessary.
Glad you liked it, CSC. Attending a Final Four is one of those "bucket list" (or in this case, "buckets list?) things that a lot of serious sports fans would love to get a chance to do. But you often do hear their observations about being so far from the court that while they enjoyed the event as a whole, they felt sorta disconnected from the actual game.

Reactions: No Chores
Glad you liked it, CSC. Attending a Final Four is one of those "bucket list" (or in this case, "buckets list?) things that a lot of serious sports fans would love to get a chance to do. But you often do hear their observations about being so far from the court that while they enjoyed the event as a whole, they felt sorta disconnected from the actual game.
It’s definitely a different experience than having decent first level seats in a normal arena, where you feel like you’re more closely attuned to the game. But this loss is offset by the massive stage and spectacle of it. The weight and significance of the game. I bet when SDSU sunk that shot, 73,000 fans reacting was a basketball moment CSC will never forget and can’t be replicated elsewhere. When Virginia sunk a 3 to go to OT in 19 followed by a huge block there was a similar feel.

Been at Final 4’s in ‘87 and ‘93 in the Superdome; Metrodome in ‘92.
By far Metrodome was the worst…was sitting in Left Center Field, with the court running from home plate to 3rd base. Although up high in ‘93 for Webber’s TO game, we were at least on the side that the floor was pushed to. Nosebleeds for Keith Smart’s game winner in ‘87 and never been happier to have bad seats in my life…at least I was there celebrating with my college friends and my dad.

It’s definitely a different experience than having decent first level seats in a normal arena, where you feel like you’re more closely attuned to the game. But this loss is offset by the massive stage and spectacle of it. The weight and significance of the game. I bet when SDSU sunk that shot, 73,000 fans reacting was a basketball moment CSC will never forget and can’t be replicated elsewhere. When Virginia sunk a 3 to go to OT in 19 followed by a huge block there was a similar feel.

The timing of that shot had the max 73k in the building as all the UConn/Miami fans were in their seats awaiting the start of their game. It was truly an incredible moment. The capacity fluctuates as some fans of the second game arrive late and some fans of the first game leave early.

The timing of that shot had the max 73k in the building as all the UConn/Miami fans were in their seats awaiting the start of their game. It was truly an incredible moment. The capacity fluctuates as some fans of the second game arrive late and some fans of the first game leave early.
I honestly can’t imagine not staying for both sessions, but still, what a moment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT