Nicholson315346+7+11.6+18.6
Buie395659-3+1.1-1.9
Audige345353+0-2.4-2.4
Barnhizer324846+2-4.5-2.5
Martinelli549-5+2.0-3.0
Berry385860-2-5.9-7.9
Beran111321-8-2.1-10.1
Verhoeven9516-11+0.3-10.7

Matt Nicholson ended the season with his best game on the biggest stage, but it wasn't enough as the Wildcats fought valiantly and ultimately fell short against a talented UCLA team that played well.
I left the last 36 seconds out of the +/- numbers because NU was subbing in Beran and Verhoeven to foul, then removing them when UCLA attempted its free throws. (UCLA outscored us 6-5)

A quick look at the table shows how badly NU struggled when Tydus Verhoeven was playing the 5. 16-5 deficit in 9 minutes. UCLA scored and we didn't.
When you look at Nicholson's raw +7 and Beran's raw -8, combined with the fact that Beran only played with Nicholson, it becomes clear that we could have won the game.
When Nicholson was paired with Barnhizer, Buie, Berry and Audige (our 5 best players) we thrashed UCLA 38-25 in about 19 minutes.
When any other group was out there, we got beat 37-20 (again prior to the last 36 seconds of free throws).
Some of us have been calling for more of that "5 best players" lineup since Roper dropped out of the rotation and Barnhizer surpassed Beran.
On the flipside, the previously reliable Verhoeven/Martinelli/Barnhizer frontcourt got beat 9-2 in about 4 1/2 minutes. UCLA was too good for that trio together.

For Nicholson, it wasn't only the 7 for 7 shooting, the 3 of 4 free throws and the 9 rebounds (5 Off, 4 def)... he was disruptive to the UCLA offense, both on the perimeter and in the paint. He deflected rebounds to teammates, caused a few UCLA turnovers, forced the Bruins to take several wild shots near the basket. UCLA's two bigs combined for 8 points, 7 fouls, 3 turnovers, 3 blocks and 3 rebounds. With Nicholson on the floor, UCLA bigs got 1 rebound. NU players not named Matt were 9 of 30 on 2 point attempts. Barnhizer and Berry were 2 of 17 from the field. Both should have been primarily looking for Nicholson instead of shooting.

Chase Audige and Boo Buie deserve credit for playing well in the 2nd half after playing poorly in the first half. Audige had 7 assists for the game (against 3 turnovers).

We came out in the 2nd half down 35-25. Collins, as is his custom, went with the starters (Nicholson/Beran/Audige/Berry/Buie). UCLA bumped the lead out to 41-30 at the 16:37 mark, before Collins subbed in Barnhizer for Beran. Audige got hot and we scored at least 2 points on our next 7 possessions, to tie the score at 45. UCLA was reeling at the media timeout. And Collins subbed in Verhoeven for Nicholson. NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Don't change anything! UCLA is rattled!

Vaquez went straight into the paint and scored. Audige had the ball taken away. UCLA attacked the basket again and made 1 of 2 free throws. Collins subbed Nicholson back in. Nicholson got caught trying to drive to the basket from outside the arc and threw the ball away. Jaquez missed a shot in the paint but UCLA got the rebound and buried a 3. Collins called timeout, NU now trailing 51-45.

Nicholson, Barnhizer, Audige, Buie and Berry played the next 9:33 and we never got back on even terms, missing 11 of our next 14 shots.

It was a great season. Tough to think how the 2 losses to Penn State made us a 7 seed... It was a great season. Sweet 16 would have been sweet.... It was a great season!
Sorry its over.

When Colllins subbed out Nicholson at that point you mention, I frantically texted my nu hoops friends and said “this better not last longer than one minute.” He was so critical in that game. I get that perhaps he runs out of gas if he doesn’t get a breather, but I knew we’d struggle with him on the bench, and we did.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
When Colllins subbed out Nicholson at that point you mention, I frantically texted my nu hoops friends and said “this better not last longer than one minute.” He was so critical in that game. I get that perhaps he runs out of gas if he doesn’t get a breather, but I knew we’d struggle with him on the bench, and we did.
I put it in the game thread too. Big dude, needs a blow, but maybe he didn’t. We’ll never know.

Obviously, the threat of Boo and Chase near the basket contribute to Nicholson’s deadliness on lobs, but, geez, he sure looked like a legit option last night.

I feel bad mentioning Beran because I feel, at this point, it might come across as having something against him. He’s cursed by looking the part while not playing the part.

He was so out of place yesterday. Huge liability on defense while not adding anything on offense. Barnhizer might have had a bad offensive game but was staying in front of players.

I briefly thought we could see a different starting 5 in the 2nd half before remembering I can only recall CC doing that once. But credit to CC, he pulled Beran and only gave like a minute of a breather to MN. Maybe Berry could have benefited from Martinelli letting him sit a bit in the 2nd.

Overall thought it was one of the best coaching jobs I saw CC do. Felt we were a bit gassed to end the game and not moving enough on offense. Couple of plays go different and we could have won. Lots to feel proud of.

I feel bad mentioning Beran because I feel, at this point, it might come across as having something against him. He’s cursed by looking the part while not playing the part.

He was so out of place yesterday. Huge liability on defense while not adding anything on offense. Barnhizer might have had a bad offensive game but was staying in front of players.

We all knew that Jaquez would be a huge mismatch, and, in fact, he was. He’s a unique combination of inside and outside and big with vision.

Robbie’s 12 minutes yesterday (including the last one for fouling) were his fewest of the season and, it appears, the sixth-fewest since he really joined the rotation.

He sure seems to be a great teammate and a leader — it was Robbie who got to slam the Northwestern into round 2 on the locker room bracket (he went 1 for 2) — but he’s been passed. It’s possible that loyalty to Beran as a veteran really harmed NU yesterday.

(From the great write up above, Beran got minutes with Matt. Martinelli got many of his very few minutes with TVH.)

Gato and NUCat320:

I always like reading your analyses. Jaquez did play a big role in UCLA's win and he's gotta be tough to guard. Beran just wasn't up to the challenge. In the end, this 3 year long debate about how good he is or isn't defensively presumably came to an end last night. He probably would have been a star playing in the MAC or the Missouri Valley or the WAC or maybe even the Atlantic 10, but he just never noticeably stepped up, despite years of effort and opportunity. If he is the poster boy for the Chris Collins metamorphosis, so be it.

I'm sure Robbie Beran is a good guy with much to offer the world. I hope he finds success and happiness after NU.

PlayerMinutesNU PtsUCLA PtsRaw +/-Player AdjNet +/-
Nicholson315346+7+11.6+18.6
Buie395659-3+1.1-1.9
Audige345353+0-2.4-2.4
Barnhizer324846+2-4.5-2.5
Martinelli549-5+2.0-3.0
Berry385860-2-5.9-7.9
Beran111321-8-2.1-10.1
Verhoeven9516-11+0.3-10.7
Love your analysis PWB!

Matt Nicholson ended the season with his best game on the biggest stage, but it wasn't enough as the Wildcats fought valiantly and ultimately fell short against a talented UCLA team that played well.
I left the last 36 seconds out of the +/- numbers because NU was subbing in Beran and Verhoeven to foul, then removing them when UCLA attempted its free throws. (UCLA outscored us 6-5)

A quick look at the table shows how badly NU struggled when Tydus Verhoeven was playing the 5. 16-5 deficit in 9 minutes. UCLA scored and we didn't.
When you look at Nicholson's raw +7 and Beran's raw -8, combined with the fact that Beran only played with Nicholson, it becomes clear that we could have won the game.
When Nicholson was paired with Barnhizer, Buie, Berry and Audige (our 5 best players) we thrashed UCLA 38-25 in about 19 minutes.
When any other group was out there, we got beat 37-20 (again prior to the last 36 seconds of free throws).
Some of us have been calling for more of that "5 best players" lineup since Roper dropped out of the rotation and Barnhizer surpassed Beran.
On the flipside, the previously reliable Verhoeven/Martinelli/Barnhizer frontcourt got beat 9-2 in about 4 1/2 minutes. UCLA was too good for that trio together.

For Nicholson, it wasn't only the 7 for 7 shooting, the 3 of 4 free throws and the 9 rebounds (5 Off, 4 def)... he was disruptive to the UCLA offense, both on the perimeter and in the paint. He deflected rebounds to teammates, caused a few UCLA turnovers, forced the Bruins to take several wild shots near the basket. UCLA's two bigs combined for 8 points, 7 fouls, 3 turnovers, 3 blocks and 3 rebounds. With Nicholson on the floor, UCLA bigs got 1 rebound. NU players not named Matt were 9 of 30 on 2 point attempts. Barnhizer and Berry were 2 of 17 from the field. Both should have been primarily looking for Nicholson instead of shooting.

Chase Audige and Boo Buie deserve credit for playing well in the 2nd half after playing poorly in the first half. Audige had 7 assists for the game (against 3 turnovers).

We came out in the 2nd half down 35-25. Collins, as is his custom, went with the starters (Nicholson/Beran/Audige/Berry/Buie). UCLA bumped the lead out to 41-30 at the 16:37 mark, before Collins subbed in Barnhizer for Beran. Audige got hot and we scored at least 2 points on our next 7 possessions, to tie the score at 45. UCLA was reeling at the media timeout. And Collins subbed in Verhoeven for Nicholson. NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Don't change anything! UCLA is rattled!

Vaquez went straight into the paint and scored. Audige had the ball taken away. UCLA attacked the basket again and made 1 of 2 free throws. Collins subbed Nicholson back in. Nicholson got caught trying to drive to the basket from outside the arc and threw the ball away. Jaquez missed a shot in the paint but UCLA got the rebound and buried a 3. Collins called timeout, NU now trailing 51-45.

Nicholson, Barnhizer, Audige, Buie and Berry played the next 9:33 and we never got back on even terms, missing 11 of our next 14 shots.

It was a great season. Tough to think how the 2 losses to Penn State made us a 7 seed... It was a great season. Sweet 16 would have been sweet.... It was a great season!
Sorry its over.

Why do I always feel like we have a dope for a HC after reading theses after loses?

Nicholson needed that sub at that moment, maybe could have used a timeout to get his rest.

Chase played a great second half, but when he got hot, he came down twice jn the second half and the ball did not leave his hands and NU didn't get the best shots in those possessions. Needed some senior leadership at that moment.

I thought the ball should have been in Boos hands to create a shot for somebody.

Why do I always feel like we have a dope for a HC after reading theses after loses?
My thought was that we were rolling and that the timeout was adequate for everybody to rest and go back on the court.

I hate it when we change anything right in the middle of a great run.

Gato and NUCat320:

I'm sure Robbie Beran is a good guy with much to offer the world. I hope he finds success and happiness after NU.
Looks like a great kid.

It's not his fault. It's the expectations folks put on him. He was always a solid team player, but never a 30 minute guy. And he was, very early on, seen as that 30 min a night guy.

Not that to start this season we had any other option but to play him a lot. Later, sure, Barnhizer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT