Barnhizer285244+8+7.6+15.6
Buie366657+9+3.5+12.5
Nicholson193121+10+0.6+10.6
Beran264947+2+0.0+2.0
Audige376158+3-2.6+0.4
Martinelli142322+1-2.4-1.4
Berry192828+0-4.4-4.4
Verhoeven213538-3-2.4-5.4

Very nice win over the Buckeyes in Columbus. Wildcats were led by Buie and Barnhizer who each took 10 shots, making 6 and 7 respectively. Barnhizer was 4 of 7 from distance, an impressive performance for a guy who had been hitting 25% of his 3's. Ty Berry had another down game for the Cats, going 1 for 6 from outside the arc.

Nicholson's +10 resulted from a 31-21 advantage over 19 minutes. Thats stifling team defense against a capable offense. By contrast Tydus Verhoeven played 21 minutes and NU was outscored 38-35. Neither of the NU centers did much offensively - Verhoeven really never came close to taking a shot.

Nick Martinelli continued trending upward, providing valuable minutes, mostly in relief of Robbie Beran.

Beran, Buie and Barnhizer played the final 8:10, stretching a 48-47 lead into a solid 69-63 victory.

In a significant change, Coach Collins was playing bigger frontcourts consistently against OSU, using Barnhizer as the small forward and either Beran or Martinelli as the power forward. "Barnhizer at the 3" had shown promise in a few prior games and always seemed like a good approach to me. I don't think its a coincidence that Barnhizer had the best game of his career so far.

When our lineup consisted of Nicholson/Barnhizer/Beran or Nicholson/Barnhizer/Martinelli, we outscored the Buckeyes 17-8 in about 7:30.

Another apparent change - it seemed like we did less ball-screening for Buie, which was refreshing - two entry passes to Nicholson in the paint led immediately to backdoor cuts and baskets.

So much progress!

Ik I said it in another thread but as good as Barnhizer played Sueing was a tough matchup for him. There were multiple plays where he played great d and Sueing just hit the shot. Beran guarding him really slowed him down. He played the same d just had the height to bother him. Berry having an off shooting night and you get the line up that works best is Buie, Audige, Barnhizer, Beran, Nicholson.

I hope (expect?) that between Buie, Barnhizer and Berry one or more will get hot from 3, allowing the team to get to the next level offensively. Last night, there were several times that the threat of the 3 on the wing already allowed Buie to drive to the rim, where he can get one of his layups or hit the cutter on the opposite side of the rim. Berry and Buie have proven to be better shooters, and Barnhizer is better than sub 30%. Hitting them will open up things even more.

Ik I said it in another thread but as good as Barnhizer played Sueing was a tough matchup for him. There were multiple plays where he played great d and Sueing just hit the shot. Beran guarding him really slowed him down. He played the same d just had the height to bother him. Berry having an off shooting night and you get the line up that works best is Buie, Audige, Barnhizer, Beran, Nicholson.

Sueing and Thornton both had good nights on offense for the Buckeyes - inside the arc. Combined 14 of 16 on their 2 pointers, which is seriously good, but 0 for 6 on their 3's.
I'll take your word for it regarding Beran and Barnhizer's defense on Sueing. Given the lack of size in the OSU lineup, it seems like Beran would be the primary guy on Sueing, but I didn't notice who he was scoring against. (I know teams try to make us switch to get good matchups)

Regarding the lineups - we only had Nicholson/Beran/Barnhizer/Audige/Blue in there for 1:10, right near the end of the game. We won that segment 2-1.
It was those 4 with Berry (instead of Audige) who played from the 8:10 mark to the 5:47 mark, extending our lead from 48-47 to 56-52.

Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT