ADVERTISEMENT

+/- for the Prosecution of the Illini

+/- is a nice stat, but still have to watch the game and can't say players don't know what they are doing, etc..

Great example is the Preston offensive rebound, he beat his man, got the rebound and got fouled. He made one foul shot. All 5 players on Illinois got a -1 In that instance, but it was only one players fault. They other guys just happened to be there.
I don’t remember the play but someone let a shot get off without causing a turnover or blocking the shot. Perhaps more than one D had a chance to block out or attack the boards. I don’t think an O rebound has to be the fault of one player.

Here’s the thing PWB, if you are going to get rest for your starters you don’t want 3 or even 2 reserves in at the same time. This of course assumes we only really play 7-8 players. To me, the number of minutes the starters play together is far less important to when these starters are on the floor together. The end of the game is the obvious time.

It’s really difficult to get them 20 minutes together. You could start 5 minutes out of the gate with starters. Then give each starter a 2 minute blow( wipes out next 10 minutes of half). Put starters in next 5 minutes. Repeat in second half and presto you have 20 minutes. IMO, this would wear your starters out and would be unrealistic due to foul trouble, off nights, and quick unnecessary line up changes when an alternative line up is working. Damn near impossible to consistently increase minutes together as a unit.

When he says get the best players on the floor, I believe that to be in reference to the most playing time.
The substitution patterns this year - 1 of MN/BP/LH and 4 of Buie, Barnhizer, Langborg, Berry and Martinelli - are aligned to their approach on D. Everyone needs to be able to guard anyone due to the switches. It's fun to watch.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
The substitution patterns this year - 1 of MN/BP/LH and 4 of Buie, Barnhizer, Langborg, Berry and Martinelli - are aligned to their approach on D. Everyone needs to be able to guard anyone due to the switches. It's fun to watch.
I am pretty sure they weren't automatically switching 1-5 in the last few games.
Maybe others saw it differently, but Nicholson seemed to be trying to get back into the paint when he could.
I don't remember him getting hung out on the perimeter against a guard (as much).
He tried to stay with Mast (Nebraska) and Reese (Maryland) and wasn't chasing Hawkins (Illinois) out to the perimeter - the guards were on him much of the time away from the basket.

Of course I could be wrong...

I am pretty sure they weren't automatically switching 1-5 in the last few games.
Maybe others saw it differently, but Nicholson seemed to be trying to get back into the paint when he could.
I don't remember him getting hung out on the perimeter against a guard (as much).
He tried to stay with Mast (Nebraska) and Reese (Maryland) and wasn't chasing Hawkins (Illinois) out to the perimeter - the guards were on him much of the time away from the basket.

I think they only went truly 1-5 when they went small and Beran was at the 5, it they did an awful lot of switching all screens with Beran or somebody larger coming on a double in the post if it went in and either the guy switched onto the 5 from the guard rotating to Beran’s guy or the guard and MN swapping back as soon as the ball cleared. Depending on how deadly the ball handling guard was from outside and if they could afford to just go under the screens or not. Having a guy who could guard 1-5 have just so many options.

I agree with you they don't switch the big

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT