ADVERTISEMENT

+/- for the roasting of the Sun Devils

PurpleWhiteBoy

Feb 25, 2021
The Wildcats dominated an inefficient Arizona State team that doesn't have a lot of size or try very hard.
I threw out the last minute and a half of garbage time.
I changed the name of the last column from "Net +/-" to "Game +/-" to reflect that the number is an estimate of how much each player contributed to the final margin of victory or defeat.

PlayerMinutesNU PtsASU PtsRaw +/-Player AdjustGame +/-
Berry346036+24+5.1+9.9
Buie35.56336+27+4.2+9.6
Barnhizer38.56344+19+2.0+5.8
Hunger152111+10+0.7+2.7
Martinelli16.52727+0+1.9+1.9
Preston61714+3-1.2-0.6
Nicholson182519+6-2.5-1.3
Clayton0.503-3-1.0-1.6
Langborg293930+9-9.2-7.4

Berry had a very nice game, bouncing back from a couple of bad ones. Ryan Langborg would probably tell you "I played like crap." (1 for 9, 3 turnovers)
Boo Buie was subbed out 4 times for a total of 3 minutes and we got outscored 8 to 0. When Buie was in the game, NU toyed with ASU (63-36)
Jordan Clayton got in for one series, turning the ball over on offense and joining his teammates in giving up a 3 pointer. Collins immediately pulled him.
NU was not effective on offense for the third consecutive game when Matt Nicholson was at the 5.
When Preston was on the floor, both teams scored at a fast pace (17-14 over only 6+ minutes)
NU was +10 when Luke Hunger was on the court. He entered the game when it was 18-10 after 11 minutes.
With Barnhizer/Langborg/Berry/Buie, NU went on a 16-2 run over the next 6:30.

Of all the lineups Collins has used this season, the Nicholson/Martinelli/Barnhizer/Berry/Buie group has outscored our opponents 39-10 in about 15 minutes of action.
The lineup of Hunger/Barnhizer/Berry/Langborg/Buie is now up 62-30 after 28 minutes of play.

Of all the lineups Collins has used this season, the Nicholson/Martinelli/Barnhizer/Berry/Buie group has outscored our opponents 39-10 in about 15 minutes of action.
The lineup of Hunger/Barnhizer/Berry/Langborg/Buie is now up 62-30 after 28 minutes of play.

When you make this statement, is it overall, or just the games against real opponents and/or non-garbage time?

So the first group is Martinelli instead of Langborg but is otherwise the usual starting lineup. Given your recent comments about the offense not playing well with Nicholson on the floor, it's interesting that the team has been so good with that lineup and with a key contributor on the bench, though Martinelli is clearly playing the best of all the reserves right now.

As for the second group, it's Hunger instead of Nicholson from the starting lineup. I continue to like what I see from Hunger. He seems aggressive and enthusiastic and making the most of his times on the court. Just wish he had Nicholson's D!

When you make this statement, is it overall, or just the games against real opponents and/or non-garbage time?

So the first group is Martinelli instead of Langborg but is otherwise the usual starting lineup. Given your recent comments about the offense not playing well with Nicholson on the floor, it's interesting that the team has been so good with that lineup and with a key contributor on the bench, though Martinelli is clearly playing the best of all the reserves right now.

As for the second group, it's Hunger instead of Nicholson from the starting lineup. I continue to like what I see from Hunger. He seems aggressive and enthusiastic and making the most of his times on the court. Just wish he had Nicholson's D!
I'm currently using 9 games. All of the Power 6 opponents (Arizona State, DePaul, Purdue, Miss St) plus Dayton, W Mich, Chicago State, Northern Illinois and Rhode Island.
I may drop Rhode Island and Northern Illinois at some point. They're not bad, but they're below Power 6 level and we won easily.
I drop garbage time if it messes up the numbers or we throw the bench out there.

I have always liked Nicholson/Martinelli/Barnhizer - that trio clicked last year too. We haven't seen it so much this year, but it has worked very well with Buie and Berry.
The success of the lineup with Hunger and the 4 other starters is pretty significant, I think.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT