Verhoeven243226+6+4.6+10.6
Barnhizer283634+2+6.7+8.7
Buie395447+7-5.9+1.1
Beran222928+1-0.8+0.2
Nicholson162226-4+3.3-0.7
Martinelli152122-1+0.2-0.8
Audige405452+2-3.7-1.7
Berry162225-3-4.3-7.3

With Julian Roper out again, the Wildcats rode the combination of Tydus Verhoeven and Brooks Barnhizer to a hard-fought victory. Verhoeven played 24 minutes off the bench in his best performance in some time. Nicholson was limited by 4 fouls, 2 of which were ridiculous. Audige played the entire game. Buie played the last 25:15. Barnhizer played the last 18:10. Interestingly, Robbie Beran only played about 7 minutes in the 2nd half and neither he, nor Nicholson, were on the court in crunch time.

Collins did not use the "small ball" lineup (Beran at the 5) in this game. Instead, with the absence of Roper, we saw more "big" lineups that had either Martinelli or Beran at the 4 and Barnhizer at the 3. Barnhizer at the 3 is effective for us. Martinelli may solve NU's depth problem at the 4 position. The young guys are stepping up.

It should be noted that NU did not play particularly well in either game against Wisconsin, but won both.

Tydus earned those late minutes. He was Tydus heck defensively against Wisconsin.

Was NU really outscored 5-0 for the one minute Boo sat? That’s impressive.

The announcers were all over the lack of Berry impact since the Nebraska game — and this game marked his season-low in minutes.

Credit where due — Collins pushed the right buttons.

I am absolutely down with riding Boo and Chase for close to 40 mpg. They’re young and good.

Berry is such a streak shooter. If he makes his first one or two shots, he can go off, but if he misses them, he often goes the other way. Big games vs. Liberty and Nebraska. He's a good defender and rebounder for his size but 6-3 puts him at a disadvantage against many Big Ten teams.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I did not watch the game live. Went to a delightful comedy show with the Missus.

1) We are doubling down on the fast and furious doubling of the post. As WI makes it a point on getting the ball to the post, that was very visible yesterday. As Wisconsin is a freaking weird team, at many points, they found the open man and just kept missing. The Tyler Wahl disappearing act really hurts them

2) Our energy level was, from the get go, so much better than against MI.

3) At times the offense resembled last year, with guys just standing around seeing the ball handler do something

4) The officiating was not great, but it went both ways

5) When CC took a timeout with 4.7 seconds to go I was praying he wanted to foul. Otherwise, it made no sense to allow WI to draw up a play. It was after free throws! But, indeed the play was to foul.

Berry is such a streak shooter. If he makes his first one or two shots, he can go off, but if he misses them, he often goes the other way. Big games vs. Liberty and Nebraska. He's a good defender and rebounder for his size but 6-3 puts him at a disadvantage against many Big Ten teams.
This. We really need him to find a way to be more consistent next year. Maybe develop a mid-range game. I am pretty excited about Barnhizer and Martinelli as being able to score near the paint, but we really need reliable outside shooting. I think it's the Achilles heel of Wildcat basketball, and has been for awhile now.

This. We really need him to find a way to be more consistent next year. Maybe develop a mid-range game. I am pretty excited about Barnhizer and Martinelli as being able to score near the paint, but we really need reliable outside shooting. I think it's the Achilles heel of Wildcat basketball, and has been for awhile now.
This is why we need to keep starting Berry and Beran. They are two guys who have shown that they can get hot from outside. If one of them gets hot, great, but if not, BB, Nick and JR have proven that they can contribute off the bench.

Reactions: SmellyCat
Tydus earned those late minutes. He was Tydus heck defensively against Wisconsin.

Was NU really outscored 5-0 for the one minute Boo sat? That’s impressive.

The announcers were all over the lack of Berry impact since the Nebraska game — and this game marked his season-low in minutes.

Credit where due — Collins pushed the right buttons.

I am absolutely down with riding Boo and Chase for close to 40 mpg. They’re young and good.

"Was NU really outscored 5-0 for the one minute Boo sat? That’s impressive."

Yes Buie was out there with Nicholson, Beran, Audige and Martinelli and we had just extended a 16-11 lead to 22-15 with 6:24 left in the half. (Martinelli essentially the small forward)

Buie sat, replaced by Ty Berry. Wisconsin subbed out 3 starters (Wahl, Hepburn, Klesmit).
Beran turned it over, Wisconsin scored. Berry missed a shot, Wisconsin hit a 3.

Collins called timeout with 5:15 left in the half, then replaced Berry with Buie and Martinelli with Barnhizer.

I think Berry has a decent mid range pull up jumper. It's quick. I believe his main limitation that makes him fairly easy to guard is that he is completely unable to attack the paint. He shares that with Beran.

Berry is already our best mid-range shooter, he shoots 50% in conference, but he's only taken 8 shots at the rim, which is easily the fewest of our regular rotation. What's more important is that Beran and Barnhizer stop shooting mid-range jumpers, because they are absolutely terrible at them. Big Matt needs to learn to shoot a layup or just only dunk it, he's 24% in conference on layups.

Speaking of shooting... Here are the in-conference stats per 40 minutes

Player2Pt2PtA2Pt%3Pt3PtA3Pt%EFG%
Buie5.210.450.01.66.026.246.0
Audige4.19.543.02.16.731.044.4
Berry2.34.650.02.66.937.353.5
Barnhizer3.16.348.80.93.526.145.3
Beran1.74.437.11.54.335.344.9
Roper1.83.650.01.32.946.258.6

Its pretty clear to me that you want Barnhizer, Berry and Roper taking more shots, given their performance and/or potential. You want Audige taking fewer shots. He has had a lot more time to develop his game and he is no better than any of those 3 offensively. Beran remains an enigma, ineffective and unwilling inside the arc for a guy his size.

Berry is already our best mid-range shooter, he shoots 50% in conference, but he's only taken 8 shots at the rim, which is easily the fewest of our regular rotation. What's more important is that Beran and Barnhizer stop shooting mid-range jumpers, because they are absolutely terrible at them. Big Matt needs to learn to shoot a layup or just only dunk it, he's 24% in conference on layups.
Beran is making only 40% of his two-point attempts. He was at 58% and 55% the previous two seasons.

His outside shooting has been the best on the team (35% from 3), but it’s been overshadowed by all those silly pull-ups.

But he’s having his best year, appropriately, in terms of boards and getting to the line and protecting the ball and making plays defensively, which is why he’s earned those minutes.

As for Roper, his percentage is so high because he only shoots when open-open-open. Also, he banked that one in.

Reactions: drewjin
Speaking of shooting... Here are the in-conference stats per 40 minutes

Player2Pt2PtA2Pt%3Pt3PtA3Pt%EFG%
Buie5.210.450.01.66.026.246.0
Audige4.19.543.02.16.731.044.4
Berry2.34.650.02.66.937.353.5
Barnhizer3.16.348.80.93.526.145.3
Beran1.74.437.11.54.335.344.9
Roper1.83.650.01.32.946.258.6

Its pretty clear to me that you want Barnhizer, Berry and Roper taking more shots, given their performance and/or potential. You want Audige taking fewer shots. He has had a lot more time to develop his game and he is no better than any of those 3 offensively. Beran remains an enigma, ineffective and unwilling inside the arc for a guy his size.
This is where taking stats out of context can be very misleading. Roper and Berry take way fewer shots, almost never have to take desperation shots as the clock winds down, and will often pass to Chase or Boo if they don't have a wide open look. If either of them shot a whole lot more, their numbers would go down because they'd be taking more contested shots. I would like to see Berry and Beran take more shots (I think Barnhiser is doing just fine), but only because history shows they can get hot, and because it would take some of the pressure off Boo and Chase, but I have no illusion that their efficiency would remain this good.

Berry and Beran taking more shots would also mean, typically, that they are wide open more often and that can only be a good thing for the Cats.

Beran seems a mystery to me because he has the size and skill to be a threat at the rim as well as from the arc, but way too often he gets absolutely stuffed when he goes in - and he really shouldn't be getting stuffed like that. A little more crafty in his game should be putting him at the line instead, and that can also only be good for the Cats.

Roper, at least this year, has that Lumpkin thing going where he only takes super high percentage or completely wide open shots. So his percentages are solid but probably not upwardly mobile.

I guess I'm agreeing here with PC88.

This is where taking stats out of context can be very misleading. Roper and Berry take way fewer shots, almost never have to take desperation shots as the clock winds down, and will often pass to Chase or Boo if they don't have a wide open look. If either of them shot a whole lot more, their numbers would go down because they'd be taking more contested shots. I would like to see Berry and Beran take more shots (I think Barnhiser is doing just fine), but only because history shows they can get hot, and because it would take some of the pressure off Boo and Chase, but I have no illusion that their efficiency would remain this good.
I disagree that these stats are "taken out of context."
For example, it shows clearly that Roper is relatively reluctant to shoot, but is effective when he does.

I think it is fair to describe "pressure" on Buie, regarding the need for somebody to make something happen on offense. I don't see that as much for Audige, who still strikes me as a guy who would rather shoot than pass, even though he has made some progress in that regard. Unfortunately, I don't have access to how many baskets Audige has made in transition, but he does get plenty of points that way. Makes me suspect that Audige should be about our 3rd or 4th option in the halfcourt offense.

I think it is fair to describe "pressure" on Buie, regarding the need for somebody to make something happen on offense. I don't see that as much for Audige, who still strikes me as a guy who would rather shoot than pass, even though he has made some progress in that regard. Unfortunately, I don't have access to how many baskets Audige has made in transition, but he does get plenty of points that way. Makes me suspect that Audige should be about our 3rd or 4th option in the halfcourt offense.
He can go too far with it, but in our offense this is a good trait.

Roper, at least this year, has that Lumpkin thing going

I find it funny that people (and I'm not picking on you EagleFan) are always trying to compare our players to Lumpkin. I loved the guy too, but we've been considering him underrated for so long he's starting to become overrated. I'd rather compare our players (favorably, of course) to Coble or Shurna or B-Mac or Eschmeyer or Patrick Baldwin!

No one ever says, "this guy is a Scotty Lindsey type" or "this guy's shot reminds me of Todd Leslie" or "he passes as well as any Wildcat since Nancy Kennelly." They just all get compared to Sanjay Lumpkin!

Reactions: SimpsonElmwood
Many times last night, it seems like the "other" guys, were giving the ball back to Boo and Chase late in the shot clock (<8 seconds), so they didn't have much choice but to shoot, many times well-guarded.

We need the "other" guy to create on their own instead of kicking it back out late in the shot clock.

Reactions: drewjin
Many times last night, it seems like the "other" guys, were giving the ball back to Boo and Chase late in the shot clock (<8 seconds), so they didn't have much choice but to shoot, many times well-guarded.

We need the "other" guy to create on their own instead of kicking it back out late in the shot clock.
Well that is actually one open question I had after the Michigan game...

Did Collins say "The other guys need to get more involved in the offense" or "We need to get the other guys more shots"

Its a choice of wording that places the blame (and responsibility) on distinctly different people.

Its one thing I think I've noticed about Collins - he tends to be critical of the supporting players and avoid confronting/challenging/criticizing the guys he considers his stars. Many coaches demand more of their stars and expect them to take the criticism for the "supporting cast" when things aren't going well on the court.

Audige is on of two players on this team who can create their own shots. Therefore he is a top 2 offense option. NU runs their offense through Buie and Audige and they typically draw the best on ball defenders. They also are players who take the tough shot late in the shot clock or when the offense runs stagnant. Those stats lose a lot of context given who’s guarding who and when the shot is taken. Beran and Berry need to use offball movement and have Audige/Buie create for them to get their shots.

Berry being hot wasn’t even so much him creating more looks/shots but he was able to convert with less space and more contested shots. Basically the same looks he normally gets he was firing and hitting on more of them. Beran is kind of the same way. You can say they need to be taking more shots and Audige less but that’s not going to happen unless they can start to score of the drive or create separation of the dribble.

Audige is very good and skilled in the midrange game. He’s a strong veteran guard who can create good opportunities for him to score. Same with Buie. They penetrate and force the D to react and then score or pass. NU runs pick n rolls to create mismatches for them on ball to make the match up easier to penetrate against. Also pulling Matt away from lane so it isn’t clogged up.

I think Buie has the most ability offensively followed by Audige. Beran has the 3rd most ability but hasn’t fully hit his potential yet. Have to get Beran or Berry hot early.

I find it funny that people (and I'm not picking on you EagleFan) are always trying to compare our players to Lumpkin. I loved the guy too, but we've been considering him underrated for so long he's starting to become overrated. I'd rather compare our players (favorably, of course) to Coble or Shurna or B-Mac or Eschmeyer or Patrick Baldwin!

No one ever says, "this guy is a Scotty Lindsey type" or "this guy's shot reminds me of Todd Leslie" or "he passes as well as any Wildcat since Nancy Kennelly." They just all get compared to Sanjay Lumpkin!
I generally make comparisons to guys from the last 20 years because they're fresh in my memory :-0

I don't think referencing Lumpkin as a defense guy who only took high percentage shots, and not many of those, is under or over rating him. That's just who he was for his career. Maybe Roper is more like Collier Drayton.

tbh, I haven't seen anyone anything like Coble or Shurna (or Esch), but I do kinda wish Beran could become more like Vedran.

I generally make comparisons to guys from the last 20 years because they're fresh in my memory :-0

I don't think referencing Lumpkin as a defense guy who only took high percentage shots, and not many of those, is under or over rating him. That's just who he was for his career. Maybe Roper is more like Collier Drayton.

tbh, I haven't seen anyone anything like Coble or Shurna (or Esch), but I do kinda wish Beran could become more like Vedran.
Roper >>> Collier Drayton!
Would be great if Beran could be like Vedran. Nice call.

Reactions: SmellyCat
I don't get the board's thing for Berry. This isn't a freshman trying to get through his first season. This is a junior who has had pleeeeeeeeeeeenty of chances in three years to become the consistent guy we hope he would be. Like Buie and Auduge, he's been another recipient of CC's generosity to let anyone shoot. He's been given a whole lot of room to find his shot without much repercussion for bad tendencies.

If we must play the stats game, when you take away the 1-in-12 outlier game versus Nebraska, his stats are 45% 2PT%, 39% 3PT% and 47.7 EFG% - nothing that stands out from the group.

He's also hasn't scored more than three points in five of the last seven games. One of those two games was double digits.

Berry has also gone to the line three times in those seven games. Audige ... 37 FT attempts - something totally unrepresented in all the per40s above.

But the eye test tells anyone, Berry is not a player you go out of your way to get shots.

Berry lit it up against Nebraska and he had the most attempts by far. So there's obviously evidence that he's given the opportunities when he knocks down his shots. I hope he finds more game like that that are even half as good as that one. This might be a different team if he even shot 33% in the other 6 recent non-Nebraska games.

I like Berry's enthusiasm on the court. And it's obvious he's worked on parts of his game. But this isn't the YMCA. If you can't stand out from THIS group in the middle of NU's rotation, you're just "a guy."

Audige is on of two players on this team who can create their own shots. Therefore he is a top 2 offense option. NU runs their offense through Buie and Audige and they typically draw the best on ball defenders. They also are players who take the tough shot late in the shot clock or when the offense runs stagnant. Those stats lose a lot of context given who’s guarding who and when the shot is taken. Beran and Berry need to use offball movement and have Audige/Buie create for them to get their shots.

Berry being hot wasn’t even so much him creating more looks/shots but he was able to convert with less space and more contested shots. Basically the same looks he normally gets he was firing and hitting on more of them. Beran is kind of the same way. You can say they need to be taking more shots and Audige less but that’s not going to happen unless they can start to score of the drive or create separation of the dribble.

Audige is very good and skilled in the midrange game. He’s a strong veteran guard who can create good opportunities for him to score. Same with Buie. They penetrate and force the D to react and then score or pass. NU runs pick n rolls to create mismatches for them on ball to make the match up easier to penetrate against. Also pulling Matt away from lane so it isn’t clogged up.

I think Buie has the most ability offensively followed by Audige. Beran has the 3rd most ability but hasn’t fully hit his potential yet. Have to get Beran or Berry hot early.

Barnhizer can certainly create his own shot against Big Ten defenders, so we disagree on that.

I'm not sure how you are defining "options" on offense. Do I want Buie to get the ball to Berry for an open look? Or do I want him to find Audige?

That one is easy - get the ball to Ty Berry if he has space. Anywhere from 8 feet out.

What's my next choice? Probably Nicholson down by the basket if he can dunk it. Maybe Beran out at the arc if he's open. Maybe Audige at the arc if he's open. Maybe even Barnhizer somewhere inside of 15 feet - eventually.

For what its worth, I ran a scan of the Big Ten over on Bart Torvik's website. I filtered it to only include games where the opponent was rated in Torvik's top 150 teams.

Here are the numbers for our guys shooting "Long 2's" (which roughly corresponds to midrange)

Buie 17 of 46 (37%)
Audige 23 of 78 (29.5%)
Barnhizer 7 of 27 (26%)
Beran 2 of 20 (10%)
Berry 16 of 32 (50%)

There are some grim numbers in there. Presumably, Barnhizer will improve. Both he and Audige are near the bottom of the conference in this sort of shot for players 6'7" and under.
Audige, surprisingly, is 30 of 90 from behind the arc! That's better than I expected.

Audige often has to make something happen with the clock running down and nobody open, so I take his numbers with a grain of salt. He's really the only Cat who can create like that at the mid range.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT